• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly all E3 conferences have been announced. Where is Sony?

Will Sony hold a conference in June?

• Yes

Votes: 122 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 154 55.8%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
By this time last year, Sony had announced and already postponed their PS5 conference to June 11th.

Earlier this week, nearly all E3 participants including MS, Nintendo, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Warner Bros. and Kock Media (formerly THQ) have announced dates for their events. Even EA who is not attending has a Battlefield reveal event lined up next week and have announced an EA Play conference set for July. Sony chose to announce GoW cross gen and had some interviews with Horizon devs instead.

Everyone naturally assumed Sony would have their own E3 conference like they did last year. There were rumors that the new Square Enix Team Ninja Final Fantasy game would be revealed in June and GoW would get revealed in June, but the FF game could get revealed at the SE event and the GoW rumor leaker walked back his comments. Other rumors are now pointing to a September event for PS5.

Could Sony announce a conference today? Will they wait for MS and Nintendo to go first and make the announcement after MS's conference? How can they not have anything to show besides Horizon? Also why show Horizon so close to E3 if you already have a conference lined up for June?

supernova8

Banned
Pretty sure they aren't "doing" E3. Besides, as their recent events have shown, they can announce something a few days in advance and still get a gazillion views.

There's no logistics, no need to make sure press and other people are in a certain place at a certain time. It's probably a completely pre-recorded video.

Matsuchezz

They said that they were not going to be at E3. But they have been doing media events for the press it happened with Ratchet and with HFW. I guess they will keep with this formula. An State of Play showing what is down the road beyond GOW R would be awesome though.

WHERE IS SONY:
rick ross money GIF by Luc Belaire

Termite

I imagine they'll have a state of play in late June once everyone else has had their turn.

Sony is doing fine, but there's no doubt that they're a lot less fun to support than in the PS4 generation. I fucking loved those big, ridiculous, bombastic shows. I'm sad they're gone, and they're not coming back. I loved the fanboying, the awkward presenters, the demonstration disasters, the clueless celeb cameos, the post-show report cards, the absolute torrent of news. So good.

As for why, I think it's a combination of multiple factors - Nintendo showed how effective cheap direct marketing is at any time of the year, and Sony now focuses on two or three megablockbusters a year with the AA games history, and that's just not enough to carry a show.

splattered

Maybe they poured so many resources into cross-gen development that each project is 50% larger than originally anticipated and they just don't have a lot of new stuff to show yet?

I'm thinking they will have a show late June/early July just to stay relevant mindshare-wise but i'm worried it's going to be showing more of what we currently know with tiny new things here and there ... maybe a deep dive hands on blowout of PSVR2? That could be cool.

Joey.

Love PlayStation and Sony....but their recent lack of transparency and refusal to keep consumers in the loop when it comes to these events ESPECIALLY when all fans are used to E3 season...its kind of infuriating.

I understand that Sony isn't with E3 anymore but they usually still have big showcases around this time so why are they silent??

I expect them to have a showcase later in June/early July and they want to see what others reveal.

Its kind of annoying.

Last edited:

Elios83

They're not attending E3 but it's clear they're preparing their own big digital conference/event like last year.
The fact they had the Q&A with Hermen Hulst a few days ago to try to get out some news they knew the fanbase wouldn't like is enough evidence they don't want to repeat what happened in September when they announced that Spiderman and Horizon were cross gen after the conference and people talked about that and the first party software price increase instead of the games they showcased.
They have a new show soon and they wanted to get some bad news out before.
How soon? I guess this month or early next month in the worst case, don't expect them to announce stuff weeks before, it's simply not the way they're doing marketing these days, they're going to announce it 2-3 days before the actual event.

Last edited:

nbkicker

No need for sony to have a conference ratchet is out before e3 and at the min horizon is looking sketchy to make it this yr apart from that sony prob got nothing else to show for first party due this yr 😂😂😂

nbkicker

But like people said sony will prob do another play event which will be announced on a tue and be shown on a thu, and they wont do it till microsoft has shown what they got at e3 so i dont expect a announcement till late on in june or even into july

Pretty weak showing all around. Nintendo does more Directs all year than the other two consoles, and then also always has a great E3 showing.

The more things get spread out across the summer, the less enjoyable it is for gamers. Used to be you could take 2 days off work and enjoy a real event. It feels very self-centered and stupid of them to allow this joint event for the industry to decline. There's no excuse about crowded floor space or general admission tickets this time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Love PlayStation and Sony....but their recent lack of transparency and refusal to keep consumers in the loop when it comes to these events ESPECIALLY when all fans are used to E3 season...its kind of infuriating.

I understand that Sony isn't with E3 anymore but they usually still have big showcases around this time so why are they silent??

I expect them to have a showcase later in June/early July and they want to see what others reveal.

Its kind of annoying.
Definitely very annoying. Like CrashNburn said above, it's like they are too good for E3. Like come on, it's a celebration of games. People love that shit. They should know this more than anyone. They literally killed MS at E3 2013 in front of a boisterous crowd and had two legendary back to back conferences in 2015 and 2016. I dont understand Sony. I cant believe I am saying this but Thank god for Microsoft who at least shows up every year.

A virtual E3 isn't E3. E3 is dead.
Technically every E3 is a virtual E3 to me. I have never been to E3. Internet is how Ive enjoyed E3 since I started watching it back in 2000.

Pretty weak showing all around. Nintendo does more Directs all year than the other two consoles, and then also always has a great E3 showing.

The more things get spread out across the summer, the less enjoyable it is for gamers. Used to be you could take 2 days off work and enjoy a real event. It feels very self-centered and stupid of them to allow this joint event for the industry to decline. There's no excuse about crowded floor space or general admission tickets this time.

Whats up with the penny pinching anyway? They are making more money than ever before. Just pay the ESA whatever they are asking. Your marketing budget can afford it. E3 is covered by every media outlet on earth. Their own streaming events are not. I really dont understand whats going on at Sony.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Definitely very annoying. Like CrashNburn said above, it's like they are too good for E3. Like come on, it's a celebration of games. People love that shit. They should know this more than anyone. They literally killed MS at E3 2013 in front of a boisterous crowd and had two legendary back to back conferences in 2015 and 2016. I dont understand Sony. I cant believe I am saying this but Thank god for Microsoft who at least shows up every year.

Technically every E3 is a virtual E3 to me. I have never been to E3. Internet is how Ive enjoyed E3 since I started watching it back in 2000.

Whats up with the penny pinching anyway? They are making more money than ever before. Just pay the ESA whatever they are asking. Your marketing budget can afford it. E3 is covered by every media outlet on earth. Their own streaming events are not. I really dont understand whats going on at Sony.

Yeah but without the live audience and floor reports it's just a series of YouTube clips. Not the same vibe at all.

Trying to save face in their own PSX i guess by showing something new or another FF7R trailer that no one cares about but 40year olds
Hey now, 40plus old heads like me probably buy the most new games, especially single player and remakes. So they would be stupid not to cater to us, at least somewhat, we made them what they are back in the ps1 Gen.

Also ff7r was awesome, if not incomplete so we want the rest of the game.

Hey now, 40plus old heads like me probably buy the most new games, especially single player and remakes. So they would be stupid not to cater to us, at least somewhat, we made them what they are back in the ps1 Gen.

I too like FF7R, admittedly I am only 34, but how dare this no beard having, pre-pubescent pleb come at FF7R like this. They literally sold 3.5 million copies in the first 3 days.

kinjx11

Banned

The most hyped remake of all time sold 5million copies in 12 months on a consoles that sold 100+ million units, that says a lot about Nomura's direction

Last edited:
Top Bottom