• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2k21 is 150 GB on PS5, 101.48 GB on Series X

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

NBA 2K21 Is 72GB on XSX, PS5 Version Will Require Minimum of 150GB
18 hours ago James Lara4

For those hoping to shoot some hoops on the next-gen version of NBA 2K21, you may want to be sure you have enough space as it has been confirmed that the PS5 version will require a minimum of 150GB!

Amazon has shipped early copies of NBA 2K21 for the PS5, which an image was shared by Robo3687 over on reddit of the backside of the case.

As you can see from the requirements, the PS5 version will need a minimum of 150GB in order to be installed. For comparison the PS4 version currently weighs in around 42 to 50GB, meaning the PS4 version is 3 times the size. Though it’s important to note that this listed number on box cases has always somewhat been misleading in the past, at least for PS4 games as they are generally larger than the actually file size.

This may be the case, as the Xbox Series X version is reasonably smaller, clocking in at just 72GB for our download.

Of course we’ll know the true size of the PS5 version here real soon as the title will become available to download the same day as the PS5 launch, which is November 12. We’ll be sure to update this post if the size differs, but for now just be prepared for the game to take up a large chunk of your SSD.

93rDdgx.jpeg

2020110922041224.png

FALCON_KICK

Install size has no limits.

Seriously, why such a huge difference in install size between these 2 next-gen consoles though? Is that a Xbox series S install size screenshot?

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
All those gbs and bang whiz specs and I bet the cutscenes and crowds are still ridiculous. My son plays 2k and those things are just awful

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Tschumi

So it's looking like this thread is bogus... the xBox file size is apparently 100 to 120 gb... and I have a feeling that the two games are actually more of less identical in size if they have matching content, though we'll wait a bit on that.. I'm just saying like... it is clear that the sole purpose of making this thread was to undermine PS5. Why have you got that agenda? I think console wars have kinda cooled down here recently, why do you think you need to cast another stone? This is a really striking title, seemingly painting PS5 as a colossally inefficient system... and you've employed hugely exaggerated numbers... Por quois? It's disingenuous.

These games come in different configurations - regular install, elite install, season pass or whatever install, gold pack amazing pack bojangles pack... Maybe the 72 GB filesize of XSX is for a demo? Maybe the 150 GB filesize on PS5 is exaggerated? I say again I reckon these games are probably gonna be just about identical on drive. I'll wait and see, I certainly won't be drawing any conclusions from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Data compression? Nah fam. We just have to sell them a 2TB SSD at 300 bones. Welcome to next gen!

RyanEvans21

So it's looking like this thread is bogus... the xBox file size is apparently 100 to 120 gb... and I have a feeling that the two games are actually more of less identical in size if they have matching content, though we'll wait a bit on that.. I'm just saying like... it is clear that the sole purpose of making this thread was to undermine PS5. Why have you got that agenda? I think console wars have kinda cooled down here recently, why do you think you need to cast another stone? This is a really striking title, seemingly painting PS5 as a colossally inefficient system... and you've employed hugely exaggerated numbers... Por quois? It's disingenuous.

These games come in different configurations - regular install, elite install, season pass or whatever install, gold pack amazing pack bojangles pack... Maybe the 72 GB filesize of XSX is for a demo? Maybe the 150 GB filesize on PS5 is exaggerated? I say again I reckon these games are probably gonna be just about identical on drive. I'll wait and see, I certainly won't be drawing any conclusions from here.

You might be confused? Thread title say 72GB on XSX Not Series X.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
that's it nintendo is doomed
wait
what thread am i shitposting in again?

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
With so many next-gen games this size, do they all come on two discs? Or is the rest downloaded?

Vasto

It talks about BCPack, which is MS data compression.

It was discussed recently that Sony is using Oodle, which is ether on par or better than BCPack.

Hardware DecompressionHardware decompression is a dedicated hardware component introduced with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S to allow games to consume as little space as possible on the SSD while eliminating all CPU overhead typically associated with run-time decompression. It reduces the software overhead of decompression when operating at full SSD performance from more than three CPU cores to zero – thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better gameplay and improved framerates. Hardware decompression is one of the components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture.

Last edited:
Hardware DecompressionHardware decompression is a dedicated hardware component introduced with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S to allow games to consume as little space as possible on the SSD while eliminating all CPU overhead typically associated with run-time decompression. It reduces the software overhead of decompression when operating at full SSD performance from more than three CPU cores to zero – thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better gameplay and improved framerates. Hardware decompression is one of the components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture.

71340_512_understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-deep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech_full.png

PS5 has its own hardware decompression block

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

It's literally the same thing. The article you quoted talked about BCPack. The one I quoted talks about Oodle. Both are used to compress data.

That's the point.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That screenshot of the Xbox says nothing about if it’s the One, One X, Series S, or Series X version. Need to click on the game on that screen then press X on it to see if it’s Durango or Scarlett.

This game looks amazing and it has a lot of content, been playing it since got the Series X.

The haptic feedback and 3D audio probably added to the size .... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Vasto

It's literally the same thing. The article you quoted talked about BCPack. The one I quoted talks about Oodle. Both are used to compress data.

That's the point.

No its not the same thing. Its may be something that tries to achieve the same thing but that does not mean it will.

I am not saying PS5 does not have anything. What I am saying is that PS5 does not have what Series X has.

PS5 also has its own GPU, CPU and Memory but not the same as Series X.

The Series X has a hardware decompression block that can help reduce file sizes. This is what you highlighted

The PS5 has a hardware decompression block that also helps to reduce file sizes

If you're trying to say the XSX does it better, well you're going to have to provide recipts for that

Last edited:

Vasto

The Series X has a hardware decompression block that can help reduce file sizes

The PS5 has a hardware decompression block that also helps to reduce file sizes

If you're trying to say the XSX does it better, well you're going to have to provide recipts for that

The recipts are in the topic.

Top Bottom