• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Sells Video Highlight Clips As defi blockchain collectables, $200 million & counting

joe_zazen

NBA Top Shot is a blockchain-based platform that allows fans to buy, sell, trade numbered officially-licensed video highlights.

In a joint venture that began in July of 2019 between the National Basketball Association, the NBA Players Association and Dapper Labs have come together to create NBA Top Shot, a "revolutionary new experience in which jaw-dropping plays and unforgettable highlights become collectibles that you can own forever," per Dapper Labs Chief Executive Officer Roham Gharegozlou.

They package clips in an official blockchain smart contract wrapper, and the purchaser owns the moment. https://www.nbatopshot.com/ also look at https://cryptoslam.io/nba-top-shot/sales to see what is happening $ wise.

top clip fetched $208k

this is also being used to buy and sell digital art.

NFT blockchain based decentralised finance really is looking like web3.0. excite!

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Nope. Not going to pretend I understand this.

But seriously. Is this like that one pharmabro guy that bought an unreleased wutang clan album and threatened to burn it so no one could hear it? Like could these owners of NBA highlight clips refuse to let others see it?

Droxcy

Yup I have an account but haven’t been able to get the latest drop. Their random queue system is garbage.

NFTs make no sense but like any collectible the value is there.

Rawker

I get how this could work. A player gets dunked on real bad and instead of being destroyed on social media because he was crowned on espns top plays of the night, he buys the replay so no one can see it.

Wtf I have no clue.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
So this is equivalent to you buying an original art piece, but it's just digital with a certificate. Where can I start selling my MS paint drawings for crypto?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I get how this could work. A player gets dunked on real bad and instead of being destroyed on social media because he was crowned on espns top plays of the night, he buys the replay so no one can see it.

Wtf I have no clue.
You don't own the rights to the clip, just the official copy of the clip. I think. It's basically limited edition but for digital stuff.

So this is equivalent to you buying an original art piece, but it's just digital with a certificate. Where can I start selling my MS paint drawings for crypto?
You actually can, just google how - whether anyones willing to pay for your digital art is another thing

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
You actually can, just google how - whether anyones willing to pay for your digital art is another thing
I looked through a few websites and some of these art pieces are selling for $2k+ and they aren't that great. I don't have any art, if I did, I would throw it up there and see if it sells.

DESTROYA

Dystopian future where we trade recorded memories and relive them in The Matrix. Coming soon to a virtual theatre near you where Hulk Hogans don’t pop out from the screen!

Aesius

I’ll probably eat my words on this but this feels like a ton of hype based on little else other than people wanting to get in on the ground floor of another Bitcoin-esque boom. Just throw around the word “blockchain” and people can’t resist opening their wallets.

GAMETA

Banned
I would like to sell some NFT stuff, I would never buy it.
Problem with that is that you need to pay to transform your files into crypto.

I spent 50 dollars today to make an artwork available for sale... being completely honest, I don't think I get the money back :/

MadAnon

I’ll probably eat my words on this but this feels like a ton of hype based on little else other than people wanting to get in on the ground floor of another Bitcoin-esque boom. Just throw around the word “blockchain” and people can’t resist opening their wallets.
That's exactly what's happening. This is the next crypto bubble just like it was 2 years ago. People not only jumped on every new token, crypto currency shat out but also flooded stocks that even mentioned the word crypto, blockchain during the previous bubble. All kinds of crap penny stocks rocketed in value only because they had those words in their name.

joe_zazen

Wtf I have no clue.

clips are still out there, this is more like having a numbered litho on hard drive.

NFTs are absolutely stupid. This world has peaked, this is beyond redemption.

looking into NFTs as currently constituted, they are very flawed and not secure.

you could be right, but distributed computing is the next evolution. It is faster, more secure, cheaper, and mediator free. There will be a place for collectables and limited editions. People like owning stuff even if virtual. & I said the same thing about shoes and btc, but fortunes have been made with them

aMipDpi.jpg

ofc, no one should invest in a market they don't understand without guidance as real traders will just take your money. I dont understand shoes or any collectable really, it is alien to me to want to own useless stuff.

i have a defi thread with some basic stuff in it. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/decentralized-finance-defi-is-the-next-big-thing.1593287/

Problem with that is that you need to pay to transform your files into crypto.

I spent 50 dollars today to make an artwork available for sale... being completely honest, I don't think I get the money back :/
How do they verify the owner? Can't I just lift some popular art from a sucker on Reddit and say, "that mine" and sell it?

GAMETA

Banned
How do they verify the owner? Can't I just lift some popular art from a sucker on Reddit and say, "that mine" and sell it?
Depends on the marketplace, some do some serious verification process, others don't...

But yes, in those open for everyone you could use someone else's work, but at the risk of losing your "gallery" if someone reports you... losing the galary means losing the ivestment too (it costs real money to "mint" the artwork, that is, transform it into an NFT in the blockchain)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I swear I hadn't heard the term NFT until I saw some news article on Thursday about Kings of Leon selling their album using NFT, and now I see it cropping up everywhere in the span of two days.

My friend who is into this is also buying "land" and "animals". He showed me these little icons with cartoon pixel art characters, assures me they are worth thousands of dollars.

Call me skeptical.

TheMan

You don't own the rights to the clip, just the official copy of the clip. I think. It's basically limited edition but for digital stuff.

I guess I don't understand why someone woudl bother. Isn't the good shit uploaded to youtube anyway?

TheMan

My friend who is into this is also buying "land" and "animals". He showed me these little icons with cartoon pixel art characters, assures me they are worth thousands of dollars.

Call me skeptical.

I would bet they're worth thousands in the way that certain baseball cards used to be worth thousands.

GAMETA

Banned

Call me skeptical.
I went to quickly to the pot of gold and likely lost money. I wouldn't say it's a straight scam, but it's something very very few can make money from (which, well, sounds like a scam)

The amount of people flooding the marketplaces with NFTs is huge, I uploaded one myself (cost me $60 to make it available) only to understand that too many people are doing the exact same...

You see a weird GIF making 3k and think it's as easy as that, but nope, not really...

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
And the worst thing is, you see a lot of crap making a buck and think "well, my work seems better than most stuff making money, clearly my work is going to make at least the same"

But then you upload your stuff like I did: https://app.rarible.com/token/0x60f...64:0xf2f84bdf2b40111512609fff972f79b08927d181 and it gets no views, or bids, or anything...

And looking back on it, you realize, "who would even pay for this crap"... it crushes your wallet and your idea that your work is worth something. Shit's crazy, man... maybe works for big and popular names, not for the small fish.

Selling digital clips like this is stupid, but I think there is a use case when you combine this technology with 3d printing.

Right now for under $500 you can buy a resin 3d printer that will print miniatures that are just as detailed as anything Games Workshop sells. Except you can print them at a fraction of the cost so there are a ton of bootleg models available on the internet.

Companies like Games Workshop could use this tech to sell official miniatures files for printing that are blockchain wrapped. You can then buy from Games Workshop, print your minis, paint them, etc... and when it comes time to play in a tournament GW can check to ensure that all of your printed miniatures match what you've purchased from GW via their blockchain sales.

Aesius

My cousin got in on Top Shot about 2-3 months ago and apparently his account is "worth" over $100k. But he put $30k or so into it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This is really no sillier than people paying huge money for rare physical collectibles that on their own are just cheap crap.

In fact, some of those rare physical collectibles aren't even all that rare, while NFTs are to some extent "originals".. they just aren't re-making them, so the thousands, or 10s of thousands sold become "rare".. then "people want them", therefor the price goes up.

Then you spend hundreds or thousands for a piece of cardboard with a certain player printed on it, or a cheap stuffed animal with your favorite kideo game character design... and it sits in your house, and you mention it to other nerds every once in a while who arbitrarily have decided it's "cool" that you have this thing in your house.

Do other copies of NFT's exist? Does that clip exist on YouTube from NBA NFTs? Sure.. but physical collectibles are still worthless garbage mostly lol

It's all pointless.. humans are trash lol

Last edited:

Aesius

What's the likelihood of him actually being able to cash out and walk away with $100K?
That's my question as well. Apparently he can't sell anything for a while due to restrictions on the platform. I think he may end up doing well because he has some "rare" cards and suckers will buy them as more people jump on the hype train. But I also doubt he will actually make what the cards are worth. It's similar to physical trading cards, at least back in the day. Price guides would say cards were worth X amount, but good luck finding anyone who would pay that. At most you could get half of what the price guide says the card was worth.

Top Bottom