• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs 2019-2020 |OT|

Magic above LeBron is lunacy.

No it's not. Magic shaped what the modern NBA athlete is like. He's the mold. He was a great, efficient scorer, elite passer, great defender and all around BEAST. Only the AIDS was able to halt his career.

I respect your rankings, but I’d like an explanation for them as well.
For me, Lebron is clearly ahead of those guys. I know he doesn’t have the same number of rings (yet), but the totality of his accomplishments puts him at #2 for me. The career numbers in almost every major statistical category, the all-NBAs, all-stars, MVP finishes, etc. 17 years and still going strong. And the thing is, he evolved and adapts as he moved through different phases of his career. From his post up and power game in Miami to his all around game when he came back to Cleveland and to now with the Lakers at what should be the tail end of his prime. In his 17th season he led the league in assists. As Father Time continues to strip away his physical abilities, he seems to adapt and dominate with his brain.

Magic is Lebron before Lebron and he didn't franchise hop. You might think that's not relevant and I totally respect that, but I'm old school and for me it is. Kareem doesn't need an explanation, he was the most dominant player ever and the only reason I don't put him at #1 is because MJ IS basketball. That's the thing Lebron truthers seem to be unable to grasp. MJ isn't just a really good basketball player, he IS basketball. Whether that is due to his personal achievements or the narrative enforced upon him doesn't matter. He defines the sport. Lebron is never matching that, it's just not happening.

And besides, Celtics legend Delonte West fucked Lebron's mom. MJ would not have allowed that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No it's not. Magic shaped what the modern NBA athlete is like. He's the mold. He was a great, efficient scorer, elite passer, great defender and all around BEAST. Only the AIDS was able to halt his career.

Magic is Lebron before Lebron and he didn't franchise hop. You might think that's not relevant and I totally respect that, but I'm old school and for me it is. Kareem doesn't need an explanation, he was the most dominant player ever and the only reason I don't put him at #1 is because MJ IS basketball. That's the thing Lebron truthers seem to be unable to grasp. MJ isn't just a really good basketball player, he IS basketball. Whether that is due to his personal achievements or the narrative enforced upon him doesn't matter. He defines the sport. Lebron is never matching that, it's just not happening.

And besides, Celtics legend Delonte West fucked Lebron's mom. MJ would not have allowed that.

George Mikan also shaped what the future of his position would look and play like. But then there's Wilt, Kareem, and Hakeem.

No one in their right mind would take Magic over LeBron in 1985, 2005, or 2025. LeBron is a demonstrably better player.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Magic is a better passer and FT shooter.

Lebron is better at everything else. He's a dominant player in modern age. Just imagine what he would be like in other decades.

Watch old 80s NBA clips. They were definitely more scrappy. NHL was the same. Refs seemed to allow triple the amount of clutching, hooking, hand checks etc.... But you look at the athletes (not their stats), and even the greats were scrawny, played a reckless game (NHL d-men in the 80s were practically pylons), and lacked overall skill and fitness. These guys cared more about drinking beer after the game and getting fat over the summer than being a year long athlete.

Guys like Lebron are all around dominant. He's also 34 (I think) and shows zero slowing down. He's just as good now as his early years. Unless something really bad happens to him like injuries, he might be like this at age 40.

Last edited:
George Mikan also shaped what the future of his position would look and play like. But then there's Wilt, Kareem, and Hakeem.

No one in their right mind would take Magic over LeBron in 1985, 2005, or 2025. LeBron is a demonstrably better player.

I still take Magic over Lebron and I'm in my right mind. You can disagree if you want, but don't start bullshit.

EruditeHobo

Right. It's not insane at all for someone comparing things in proper context. Magic is easily on my Mt. Rushmore too, his skillset is amazing, his versatility was prototypical and more than Jordan set the tone for the current league, and he's done all the winning you could ask of any such argument relating to "GOAT". Barring some significant Laker injuries, he could have done even more winning too.

It's impossible. Pile up all the stats you want, and LeBron is a stellar, incredible athlete. Jordan, considering all context, is just on another level for many reasons.

"... and I took offense to that."

Cutty Flam

Banned
I have these guys above LeBron. The GOAT debate is sort of tricky to discuss, but this is my list, not necessarily in order either

Kobe Bryant
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Tim Duncan

and behind those players, I have LeBron James

Championships and running the team mean everything. Magic has had his major struggles in the playoffs, his team even got swept a couple times but he still managed to put it all back together and win five rings. I need to see LeBron’s desire reach that of those legends before him before I call him the better player. If stats were the deciding factor, Wilt Chamberlain is the GOAT. Winning championships takes precedence over almost everything. Still have to weigh other factors but what counts more than going after what everyone else is after, and defeating them to claim it yourself with your team? Everything is sacrificed for that one common goal

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

It pains me to say it, but I do not have Kobe above LeBron. The case aside from winning just isn't there. LeBron is more efficient, more versatile, more athletic. Kobe better shooter, better mid range attacking skillset, and better 1 on 1 defender in his prime.

Duncan is one of the most overrated players ever considered in the GOAT debate IMO. An all-time power forward, sure, part of a great franchise successful streak, definitely, had some monster playoffs and finals yes... I have a lot of post players above him though.

EruditeHobo

Great start, and have a 3 point lead to show for it.

Lakers aren't a great shooting team but Miami is leaving too many people wide wide open. It's completely unsustainable when the Lakers play at all competently.

Anthony Davis play horrible tonight. Lebron was bad with the turnovers. He was too passive and tried to get going way too late in fourth.

Lebron needed to step up and give his team a boost and he flat out failed.

Jimmy Butler 40 point triple-double combined with Anthony Davis and Lebron shit play gave the Lakers no chance.

Heat should feel good after this win.

Last edited:

MastAndo

LeBron looked out of it, like his mind was elsewhere. Lakers played like they have the series in the bag and could give one away with no consequence.

I still think the Lakers win the next two to take it - but hell of a game by the Heat, particularly by Jimmy Butler, being down two key players and all.

20 turnovers

Anthony Davis 15 points. He need to stay aggressive even with the fouls. This is the finals, you foul out if you have to. He let someone drive straight to the basket very late in a close game because he didn't want to foul lol. He should've taken the fifth foul and gave his team a chance.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Couldn’t stop Jimmy. Great work LBJ, AD. You failed the team in game 3. Fucking soft as FUCK. When you lean entirely on your role players...wtf is going on in your head? Step up ffs

Can anybody tell me why they
Anthony Davis play horrible tonight. Lebron was bad with the turnovers. He was too passive and tried to get going way too late in fourth.

Lebron needed to step up and give his team a boost and he flat out failed.

Jimmy Butler 40 point triple-double combined with Anthony Davis and Lebron shit play gave the Lakers no chance.

Heat should feel good after this win.
You summed it up well, cannot believe the pathetic play of AD and LeBron James tonight. Have an off game sure, but to be outworked the way they were? Man......I was very upset to say the least. They better come out ready to make up for it in game 4. I have never trusted LeBron James when in a tight spot. He barely escaped by a hair. If not, it’s an L. There has has been little in between in his career. I seriously hope Lakers don’t fuck this one up next game. If so, knowing LeBron James, this is going to be a bumpy ride lol

Feels like Miami got everything going well and the Lakers got everything going poorly (aside from a random good Morris game). Not sure how repeatable that is.

That being said, there ARE areas the Heat can improve even without Dragic and Bam. Herro and Robinson combined to shoot 5-17 from 3 and they missed some wide open ones. At some point, regression is going to hit and they could have a lights out game. I still don't think this is a series, but the next game sure got interesting.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

Cutty Flam

Banned

Magic was a better teammate than LeBron James. I've been saying it over and over for years that there is a lot to say for championships. Have you seen the teams those Showtime Lakers had to face? They won five rings versus some of the best teams in NBA History. Magic Johnson won five championships versus that kind of competition. What's the excuse for LeBron not winning five rings in his respective era in the NBA yetsomehow being the better player? I have seen very questionable decisions and play all over the place with LeBron James throughout his career. He took much longer to realize what it took, what it actually requires from himself, to win an NBA championship; to be victorious in the NBA Finals. Magic did things no other player has done and he never took his foot off the gas pedal. He's won five championships in thirteen seasons

Cutty Flam

Banned
Feels like Miami got everything going well and the Lakers got everything going poorly (aside from a random good Morris game). Not sure how repeatable that is.

That being said, there ARE areas the Heat can improve even without Dragic and Bam. Herro and Robinson combined to shoot 5-17 from 3 and they missed some wide open ones. At some point, regression is going to hit and they could have a lights out game. I still don't think this is a series, but the next game sure got interesting.
The Heat are going to be a nightmare to face if they win game 4 and gain anymore confidence, I can already tell. Just seeing Jimmy Butler do what he did tonight was bad enough, that was the last guy we wanted to see pick things up. Now that their leader thinks he can do anything, games are going to be more open...And the crazy thing is that Bam might return in game 4 to pitch in on the effort. The Lakers have been making it tough for the sharpshooters but even as young as Robinson and Herro are, they're bound to have better games I would think

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Magic was a better teammate than LeBron James. I've been saying it over and over for years that there is a lot to say for championships. Have you seen the teams those Showtime Lakers had to face? They won five rings versus some of the best teams in NBA History. Magic Johnson won five championships versus that kind of competition. What's the excuse for LeBron not winning five rings in his respective era in the NBA yetsomehow being the better player? I have seen very questionable decisions and play all over the place with LeBron James throughout his career. He took much longer to realize what it took, what it actually requires from himself, to win an NBA championship; to be victorious in the NBA Finals. Magic did things no other player has done and he never took his foot off the gas pedal. He's won five championships in thirteen seasons

I prefer assessing a players talent/impact by avoiding ESPN narratives and platitudes.

Magic may have been a better teammate than LBJ. He might not have. It's a vague statement that you failed to support. We do know LBJ single handedly got NBA journeyman Mo Williams an All Star nomination though, which suggests he's a pretty good teammate.

I can't take your main point seriously though. Counting rings in a game that requires major contributions from 6-7 other teammates makes no rational sense to my mind. This isn't golf or tennis. There isn't a scout from the high school ranks, up through the pro ranks that would go to a front office meeting and say "We should get PLAYER X because he win Y number of titles". If professional talent evaluators don't say that, I'm not sure why fans do.

LBJ figured one thing out rather late in his career. Inferior teammates will drag you down. He's gone to the NBA Finals 10 times in his career and he's been the best player on the court in 9/10 of those Finals appearances. No other player can say that.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I don't know why
LBJ figured one thing out rather late in his career. Inferior teammates will drag you down.
Do you you remember the Cleveland squad he took to the Finals in '07, when he was just 22?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he knew a thing or two about inferior teammates early in his career.

He just couldn't find a suitable running mate until he got wit AD.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I prefer assessing a players talent/impact by avoiding ESPN narratives and platitudes.
Alright, then why is your entire take a platitude we could expect from ESPN then?

Magic may have been a better teammate than LBJ. He might not have. It's a vague statement that you failed to support.
I didn’t fail to support that lmao, it’s evidenced by the fact Magic Johnson has won more times than LeBron James in the NBA Finals. I’m pretty sure that makes him the better teammate in the way of winning. Do you want to go home a loser? No, you want to win it all. How can you do that? By being a good teammate i.e. winning games

We do know LBJ single handedly got NBA journeyman Mo Williams an All Star nomination though, which suggests he's a pretty good teammate.
This is ridiculous. LeBron James, got Mo Williams into an all-star game? I’m pretty sure Mo Williams got Mo Williams into the All-Star game, by playing like an All-Star...That’s earned. Credit to LeBron sure, but you’re undermining Mo Williams for zero reason at all. Give credit where credit is due and come up with a better argument as to why LeBron James is a great teammate

I can't take your main point seriously though. Counting rings in a game that requires major contributions from 6-7 other teammates makes no rational sense to my mind.
Captain sets the tone. The idea is to follow his example of excellence to ensure victory. You’re only as good as your best player, if you fall short, it’s because your leader(s) failed to equip you with what you needed to do to accomplish success in the first place. Championships are everything. They show exactly what you’re made of and what you’re willing to do to win. If you don’t win championships you aren’t the best because obviously you are deficient in leading your team all the way. You have to look after your teammates as your own every step of the way and overcome. That’s truly what it takes. Yes you need contributions from several players, your teammates, but it’s the job of the best players on the team to make sure everything and everyone is on point, and to figure out a way to win. Do you want to argue in favor of stats? What do stats mean in a loss? Tell me what they mean to you in an outcome that you weren’t shooting for? Do you think LeBron was a good teammate in Game 1 of the 2018 NBA Finals when he refused to even speak, even look at his teammates during a crucial timeout preceding overtime? Was he a good teammate who communicated and offered something, anything before stepping on the floor? No. He offered nothing and pouted by himself like the emotional crybaby he’s shown to be throughout his career. Great teammate! Those 50 pts meant so much in that loss! Great game by LeBron! Nah dude, it was a terrible game by LeBron. He lost. Nothing more to it. Good teammates don’t give up like that. That’s why LeBron is ring deficient in the GOAT talks we have. They mean something. They show how far one will go to reach a destination and conquer. And a true leader knows that he must fortify those on his side...

This isn't golf or tennis. There isn't a scout from the high school ranks, up through the pro ranks that would go to a front office meeting and say "We should get PLAYER X because he win Y number of titles". If professional talent evaluators don't say that, I'm not sure why fans do.
Another ridiculous claim. How many times have we seen champions, proven champions sign to another team looking to win what? A championship. If you have won at the highest stage, then you have seen and participated in a collective effort that proves you know what you’re doing and you know how to win. That is exactly what talent scouts are looking for in their players. Why did teams want Shaq? Chauncey Billups? Dennis Rodman? Why did the Lakers sign Rajon Rondo, Danny Green? Why is Andre Iguodala on the Heat right now? Do you mind going into a little detail as to why Iguodala was signed by the Heat? It’s their tenure, their experience, their ability to see the game through at the highest level and win games that equate to rings. They’re champions. Tried and true, battle tested. You’re kidding yourself if you think starters who participated in the NBA Finals, and won, are for some reason not pursued or in anything but high demand

LBJ figured one thing out rather late in his career. Inferior teammates will drag you down.
There’s no such thing as an inferior teammate. That’s your teammate. You work with them, you build with them, and you fight for them. His teammates in Cleveland got him as far as the NBA Finals in 2007...I’d say they were fairly capable if they got that far, don’t you think? Why couldn’t they win? What are your thoughts on the 2007 NBA Finals?

He's gone to the NBA Finals 10 times in his career and he's been the best player on the court in 9/10 of those Finals appearances. No other player can say that.
And? He got there by running through the Washington Wizards in the first round like four or five times. That’s essentially a bye week for any decent team...I WiSH TO GOD Kobe Bryant and the Lakers were fortunate enough to play a team as dysmal as the Gilber Arenas lead WAS Wizards. If only there were such pathetic teams in the Western Conference to play. What a nice warm up scrimmage that would be. Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant? Their path to the NBA Finals means a hell of a lot more! Wizards, Hawks, Pistons in their twilight and rebuilding years? What a joke. The only good teams he ran into were Boston Celtics, Magic for a few years, and the Pacers. Try reaching the NBA Finals while facing off in the Western Conference where the 8th seed is as good as your 3rd or 4th seed. Try that for three round every single year LeBron. You were never built like Magic or Kobe. Magic 9 trips and Kobe’s 7 trips to the NBA Finals >>>>>>>>>>>> LeBron’s 10 trips. Try going through the San Antonio Spurs, PHX Suns, Dallas Mavs, Utah Jazz, Denver Nuggets, the Sacramento Kings, those JailBlazers, I’d like to see LeBron scratch and claw through that level of hell before I go raising my pom poms for 10 NBA Finals appearances, 9/10 coming from the East with little to no parity. Don’t downplay Magic or Kobe or any other players because they didn’t have a cakewalk to the NBA Finals like LeBron 90% of his entire career. A player like Kobe went to war in those Western Conference playoff games in his era. What do you know about it??? What does LeBron know about it really?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In this thread we learn Bill Russell, Satch Sanders, Sam Jones, KC Jones, John Havlicek, Tom Heinson, Frank Ramsey, Jim Loscutoff, and Robert Horry (all 7+ rings) are both...

A) Better players than LBJ and MJ

and

B) Better teammates than LBJ and MJ

Because apparently sane individuals asses player skill level by team success.

Oh wait, no we don't! LBJ is the GOAT because he's the greatest human to ever play the game!!

Cutty Flam

Banned
In this thread we learn Bill Russell, Satch Sanders, Sam Jones, KC Jones, John Havlicek, Tom Heinson, Frank Ramsey, Jim Loscutoff, and Robert Horry (all 7+ rings) are both...

A) Better players than LBJ and MJ

and

B) Better teammates than LBJ and MJ

Because apparently sane individuals asses player skill level by team success.

Oh wait, no we don't! LBJ is the GOAT because he's the greatest human to ever play the game!!
Bill Russell is a better teammate than both, yes

Or are you going to try discredit winning 11 championships? I guess defeating the Los Angeles Lakers with teams led by legends like Elgin Baylor, then Elgin Baylor and Jerry West, then Elgin Baylor Jerry West, and Wilt Chamberlain six times and adding to that still wasn’t anything noteworthy to you?

LeBron James is great, but I don’t consider him the best yet

Edit: double quoted post

I also think that LeBron is an excellent teammate, but it’s clear he has had major struggles in the past. Both as a teammate and as an elite individual player

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Danny Green is such a tough player to watch now. Even when LeBron gives him a pass for an easy dunk uncontested he still ambles his way to the rim for it with Jimmy fiercely coming behind him. I thought he was going to get blocked

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Danny Green is such a tough player to watch now. Even when LeBron gives him a pass for an easy dunk uncontested he still ambles his way to the rim for it with Jimmy fiercely coming behind him. I thought he was going to get blocked
Check his playoff performance the past 5 years. Generally crap. Guy is a different player shooting bricks.

Hell of a game. Miami really made the Lakers earn it, stupid 3 by Butler that ended up changing the game. That's the thing, Miami has 0 margin for error and the game is far too long for that.

EruditeHobo

Game 5 finna be a blowout.
Good effort Miami. If they pushed it to 6 at this point, that in itself would be very impressive.
Lakers now 56-0 on the season when leading going into the 4th. Closers.

It took an all time performance by Butler to win game 3. How many times can you do that in a series? And I’m not sure that Dragic would help at this point.

Whether the Heat come back to win the series or not, mad respect to Jimmy Butler. The guy took above average talent and turned into a star on sheer hard work.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Check his playoff performance the past 5 years. Generally crap. Guy is a different player shooting bricks.
True, i wonder how though. With the San Antonio Spurs he was like a 3pt shooting deity. I think he might still have a record or two standing to his name there? I'll have to look into it and check back with that
Game 5 finna be a blowout.
Good effort Miami. If they pushed it to 6 at this point, that in itself would be very impressive.
Lakers now 56-0 on the season when leading going into the 4th. Closers.
Hope so man, it's looking pretty bad for Miami at this point but you never know. I don't think they're a team who can pull it off but I've been dumbfounded more than a few times at what can happen in any given NBA Finals. That's a very interesting statistic you brought up at the end there. Is that true? That's extraordinary if so. That's like unheard of dominance
Chubby faced Avery Bradley does not get a ring.
Avery Bradley was arguably one of the toughest players and definitely one of the best three defenders on the team. His contributions were huge. Anybody like that on your teams showing you how it's done, defending like a dog every game

Assuming the series ends on Friday, when do you think next season starts? Silver said they were unlikely to come back before the end of the year. I’m thinking they come back in February or March and play a truncated season. And then try to start the 2021-2022 full season on Christmas Day and that’ll be the league calendar going forward.

Romulus

It's over. But the Heat will be back. That Herro kid really impressed me for a rook. Dude is borderline cocky but I like it.

Last edited:
The only consolation I have left from this soul crushing series is that Laker nation needs this. They deserve a ring after losing Kobe.

But does it have to be with anthem kneeler, crybaby, American hating, Chinese secret agent LeChairmanXi leading them and winning MVP! God I would be more than fine with the Lakers winning if that bastard wasn't leading them. And yes I hate Lebron, even when he was with the Heat. I just can't stand him. I don't even know why, I just think he's fake & that clean cut, never does wrong, never had a scandal, never cheated on his wife reputation is fake. Maybe I'm wrong. I need psychological help GAF lol!

Top Bottom