• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k21 uses the adaptive triggers in PS5's Dualsense controller for variable resistance, while haptic feedback for collisions.

Will this affect which version of the game you'll go with?

• Total voters
Source: Click Here.

Something that always excites us as developers is the introduction of new hardware features that come along with new consoles. When we first heard about the DualSense controller’s adaptive triggers and haptic feedback, we immediately began brainstorming ways to use them to enhance the gameplay experience. As soon as we got our hands on the dev kits, our lead engineer experimented with several different prototypes to figure out what made the most sense for a basketball game.

For the adaptive triggers, we opted to use them to convey energy/fatigue. As you move around the court, you’ll feel more and more resistance on the Sprint trigger as your player’s energy drains. We also use adaptive resistance in the post game. Strong post players will feel very little resistance on L2 when backing down weaker opponents, but you’ll have to use more force to pull L2 when it’s the other way around. It’s very interesting to play with and helps immerse you into the experience of actually being on the basketball court!

As for haptic feedback, we used it to accentuate our various collision systems. Boxouts, body-up rides, off-ball collisions/deny/rides… basically any situation where players make significant contact will vibrate the controller at various intensities depending on the strength of the players involved and the severity of the impact.
It’s so dope to feel the difference in your hands between a grazing bump and hard hit. It’s also a great reinforcement tool to understand when you’re making players work too hard on the court, which could hit their energy/stamina levels and potentially cause wear-and-tear on their bodies with our in-depth injury system.

It's gonna be really interesting to see how developers utilize this feature for different game genres. I think it's quite cool and could end up being a real feather in Sony's cap.

"The haptic feedback precision allows us to do all sorts of new things," Horton said. "In Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, we'll be hinting to players which direction attacks are coming from by providing haptic feedback from the appropriate direction on the DualSense wireless controller. What does it feel like to use Miles's stealth ability? How does a Venom Blast feel? Because of the high resolution of DualSense wireless controller's haptics system, we can really push the dimensionality of the feedback. For instance, as you hold down Square to do a Venom Punch, you feel Spider-Man's bio-electricity crackle across from the left side of the controller, culminating in the right side on impact."

--------------------------

"Deathloop being a first-person shooter, we do a lot of things to make weapons feel differently from one another. One I like is blocking the triggers when your weapon jams, to give to the player an immediate feedback even before the animation plays out, which prompts the player in a physical way that they have to unjam their gun."

--------------------------

“I think the most effective use of the adaptive trigger [in Gran Turismo 7] is for representing the operation of the anti-lock brake system (ABS) while braking. A typical ABS releases brake pressure intermittently while the driver applies pressure to the pedal. The adaptive trigger is suited for recreating this pedal feel, and it will allow the player to accurately feel and understand the relationship between the braking force they want and the tire’s grip.
“Compared to the rumble force feedback we had in the past, the special character of the haptic feedback is that it has a bigger range of frequencies it can produce. What this means is that sound design and tactile design can be handled in a continuous, integrated manner.”

It's getting used by a lot of games in lots of different ways. The touchpad was useful in the DS4 but it seems it's these additions to the Dualsense the ones truly changing gameplay feel.

Last edited:

Njocky

Banned
I'm interested. Will have to see how it feels though. Consensus is this is likely to be a gimmick not used much by devs after the first year but the description seems to convey actual gameplay value. We'll see if it really works or become Sony's kinect.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah that's gonna be an off for me right away. And in PES if they do the same.
I can already see my player fatigued and treading water, ill get no further enjoyment from the trigger adding resistance to let me know.

Imagine that in a rockstar game, hands would be fucked after an hour.

I'm interested. Will have to see how it feels though. Consensus is this is likely to be a gimmick not used much by devs after the first year but the description seems to convey actual gameplay value. We'll see if it really works or become Sony's kinect.

I think it's gonna be different and some people will like it and some won't and argue for the removal of it (because they truly don't like it or simply refuse change). I think it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

Beelzebubs

I can already see my player fatigued and treading water, ill get no further enjoyment from the trigger adding resistance to let me know.

I mean there will probably be an option to disable it.

"bbbut 3rd party devs wont use PS5 special features, lol!"

Good to see that they use these features :)

I hope that WWE 2K21 gets this, I wanna feel it when I beat people with Brock Lesnar.

cormack12

Gold Member
I mean there will probably be an option to disable it.

I think in single player story based games and maybe horror is where it will shine. Probably racing to for the feedback. But for high repetitive games I can see people turning it off like in diablo iii, destiny 2, footy, hockey etc. But thats just my opinion. I tend to play with rumble hardly on these days

STARSBarry

Gold Member
what will be really interesting is how this can effect the main part of the game, aka the gambling mechanics while there seems to be alot of discussion about the tacked on basketball minigame whats really important is that we focus on how they could revolutionise the wheel of Fortune or slot machines of the main portion of the game, perhaps we could see resistance as you pull the lever back so that you really feel like you just paid 60 dollars to be fucked.

Last edited:

The good thing is that every controller comes with them. It should be easier for developers to make they decision due to this.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Imagine a survival game where if you don't do maintenance on a gun the triggers become alot harder to pull. It maybe after going through mud the triggers can change it's reissuance to reflect that.
Thats be sweet also for fps games turn off the hud and have the adaptive trigger let you know when your out of ammo because its easier to pull the trigger back when no ammo is in the magazine compared to a round in the chamber. A quick pull back means your empty, a tighter trigger means you still have ammo left.

I deff can imagine your idea for tloup3 whenever it comes

Last edited:
All this talk about resolution is fucking boring. The most tangible thing that everyone will get to experience is something no other console has done before. DualSense. Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are going to add to the gaming experience more so than any resolution/ray-tracing nonsense. I know, yes, those things are nice, but I for one am super excited to experience a killer FPS on PS5 with that controller.

[Sigma]

Play-Station-PS5-2020.png
+Super SSD+Liquid Metal=
the-goat.jpg

So basically almost every PS5 version will be the best version as long as they make good use of the DualSense.

Last edited:
All this talk about resolution is fucking boring. The most tangible thing that everyone will get to experience is something no other console has done before. DualSense. Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are going to add to the gaming experience more so than any resolution/ray-tracing nonsense. I know, yes, those things are nice, but I for one am super excited to experience a killer FPS on PS5 with that controller.

I wonder how it's going to be used in Demon Souls and Sackboy. I'm buying those 2 games first but I've seen no talk about how it will be used on those. Or maybe I'm forgetting...

Rac3r

Internet in 2006: "Shame on Sony for not including rumble in the Sixaxis Controller, the triggers suck too, how dare they release an unfinished product!!!:messenger_grimmacing_ :messenger_pouting:"

*Sony invests in new rumble and adaptive trigger technologies*

Internet in 2020: "I'm sick and tired of Sony's battery-draining gimmicks. Rumble is stupid and I'm just gonna turn it off anyways:messenger_expressionless: :messenger_sleeping:"

BrentonB

I wonder how it's going to be used in Demon Souls and Sackboy. I'm buying those 2 games first but I've seen no talk about how it will be used on those. Or maybe I'm forgetting...
As far as I'm aware they haven't said anything about it. Resistance based on weight of your weapon / strength of your character? Harder to press the button when your weapon is too heavy, maybe?

As far as I'm aware they haven't said anything about it. Resistance based on weight of your weapon / strength of your character? Harder to press the button when your weapon is too heavy, maybe?

Lots of ways it can be used. Can be that for sure.

Heard IGN suggest Stamina management. Slight Haptic feedback on shield block?

Tripolygon

Banned

Do you even lift bro?

c1b1f36c298b8413607634c1b5212478.jpg

Top Bottom