• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K21 File Size Is 121 GB on Xbox Series X and Slightly Smaller On Xbox Series

Bullet Club

NBA 2K21 File Size Is 121 GB on Xbox Series X and Slightly Smaller On Xbox Series

NBA 2K21 has a next-generation version that is apparently almost double the size of the current generation version with a file size above 100 GB.

The next-generation version of NBA 2K21 is slightly expensive at $69.99 however, the file size of the game is also twice as large as the current generation consoles. According to a listing on the Microsoft Store, the install size of the original NBA 2K21 was 89 GB on Xbox One and it is 121.7 GB on the Xbox Series X.

This file size difference could be due to the higher quality textures and improved assets, but there is still a big difference compared to the next-generation consoles. Speaking of the Xbox Series S, which will have smaller file sizes, it has been reported that the Series S version is indeed smaller at 101 GB.

After the launch of the game itself, 2K Sports appears to have been updating the game with new patches. Some of these additional features while others are for bug fixes. It appears that all of these patches might have also contributed to larger file size for the next-generation consoles in addition to the Series S since the original file size of 89 GB didn’t take into account any of the post-launch updates.

Here is a description of the next-generation version taken from the Microsoft Store.

The latest release in the world-renowned, best-selling NBA 2K series, NBA 2K21 leads the charge with next-gen innovations. Featuring extensive improvements upon its best-in-class graphics and gameplay, competitive and community online features, and deep game modes, NBA 2K21 offers one-of-a-kind immersion into basketball and culture – where Everything is Game.

Source: Twisted Voxel

Birdo

Banned
tenor.gif

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i have gotten into this fucking state now. That i don't buy certain games because i think they do not respect the storage they use, Esp with next gen consoles.

regawdless

Banned
Wow that's huge. Are the character models so big? Weird that an open world game like Spider-Man MM is only 50gb.

MastaKiiLA

I think its because they went open world with the streetball mode. I'm withholding judgement until I get to play it. Honestly, I enjoy NBA2k strictly for the NBA myLeague mode. I like being able to control my franchise completely. myLeague being that much better than myGM with regards to level of control. I never play streetball mode. I have no interest in it. This change has made me intrigued in that mode, as it has certain elements that I enjoy in the other 2 modes. However, if it's not enjoyable, then I'm going to seriously question the added bloat. I can only imagine more loot box mechanics have been added with the open world features. I'm not looking forward to that at all. I might hold off on this, until I hear feedback from some of the 2k YTers I like. 2k20 on my PC is still plenty good enough in the meantime. I'm just looking forward to 2k21 for that Ja Morant and Baby GOAT Tyler Herro bump.

LarknThe4th

I never bought the whole "Series S games wont use 4k assets so they will be way smaller"

Developers haven't cared about the users hard drive space for an entire gen, why would they care about Series S users SSD space now, on fact wouldn't it be better if they made there games so they take up more of your drive and leaves less room for others competing games??

So much for next gen games being much smaller. Maybe 1st party stuff will be better.

After the mess that WWE 2k20 was it's clear that Visual Concepts are not too stressed about the end user experience so maybe just a case of push it out the door with no optimisation.

iJudged

Banned
this is outrageous. I mean, 4k textures, some sick RT from what I've seen in the vids....fuck it, that's the new norm....wonder what FIFA 21 size is going to be

i have gotten into this fucking state now. That i don't buy certain games because i think they do not respect the storage they use, Esp with next gen consoles.
Thats pretty smart. Don't buy 2-3 games and you will have enough money to buy another small storage (1tb) proprietary SSD.

Sony and MS need to pressure these companies to bring down ssd prices.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
thankfully xbox lets you store games on an external HHD and has a way to expand storage (albeit expensive) day 1. The HDD would be more then enough for most.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

thankfully xbox lets you store games on an external HHD and has a way to expand storage (albeit expensive) day 1. The HDD would be more then enough for most.

Archiving to cheap HDD will probably be the way forward for most this gen. At least that saves you from needing to download everything again. LOL

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Right away DLC, cosmetics, fake currencies, forced expansion packs etc. are the culprit fixing this is getting rid of that trash that takes up so much space.

Keihart

95gb is probably just next gen sweat textures. These file sizes (I'm also looking at you Call of Duty) are fucking insanity.
At least COD has the excuse of having to stream assests in Warzone so i asume there is a lot of duplication and the game somehow also includes the singleplayer and whatnot?
I wonder why that filezise in the NBA game tho, maybe just a lot of cosmetics or just a whole bunch of 8k videos?

DustQueen

Banned
It is not the game assets. Even Switch version of 2k20 is about 50 gigs.
They pack this game with allot of video files, ads and other shit.

Md Ray

"121GB Xbox Series X and Slightly smaller on Xbox Series..." Xbox Series what...? You can't leave me hanging like THAT... SERIES WHAT??
tenor.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom