• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog's final PS5 exclusive will probably be the first game to showcase photorealistic graphics in-game (or come very close to it)

You don't specify console games anywhere though, even went as far as assuming ND's final ps5 game will be the first to showcase photoreal graphics.

To answer your original question, it highly depends on what you consider photorealistic. We can already create photorealistic environments with what we have today, within certain limits <- and this is sorta of the problem we'll have to deal with moving forward.

Look the kind of thing its possible to create within limited enviroments

Well, I thought there was enough in my OP to imply I was talking about console games and not PC games or tech demos. I'm sorry if I didn't specifically mention the word console in the thread title seeing as I ran out of space but I assumed people would be able to infer that I meant the first console game to actually showcase photorealistic graphics (or come very close to it). Now that I think about it, I probably should have framed it more as a question.

I don't know the exact number of teraflops or whatever else is needed for your average game developer to achieve such a graphical milestone but I do know every time a first-party developer like Naughty Dog or Kojima Productions modify their respective game engines, that their games look more realistic each time. And those limits decrease when you introduce newer, better hardware like the PS5 or Series X.

Guilty_AI

I don't know the exact number of teraflops or whatever else is needed for your average game developer to achieve such a graphical milestone but I do know every time a first-party developer like Naughty Dog or Kojima Productions modify their respective game engines, that their games look more realistic each time. And those limits decrease when you introduce newer, better hardware like the PS5 or Series X.
Kojima P. isn't a first party developer though, either way, what i mean is that the degree of difficulty in achieving photorealism, that can mean both in terms of hardware power and workload, strongly depends on whats in your game. We'd need to know what those engines do best.

An open field for example can be easier to make look photoreal with the right artists.
On the other hand, a bustling city with lots of interiors will be harder, might even require RT.

Last edited:
Top Bottom