• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Rumored to Be Developing New IP

Upon release the studio is disbanded because they get accused of digital black face on Twitter and it's made clear by their repeated excuses that they are indeed racist bigots.

sendit

If you care, Neil Druckmann said Nadine was not written with any race. Just a woman from South Africa.

Then they cast Laura Bailey to play her.

Later, a character concept artist showed their drawing of Nadine as black.

They liked the look and went for it, despite already casting Bailey.

Hence the white chick playing the black chick.

I didn't know this. Now i'm triggered. Anyone up for a march?

we all know ND is doing it to check boxes. thats the problen

It's so funny how people talk about black people as if they're somehow rare. They're people and human beings just like any white man or white man. White, black, asian, male, female, none of this should even matter or factor in. Let the game creators create what they're going to create and just join them for the ride.

Romulus

The issue is, most game creators are white. And creators typically create people that look like them. Black artists from all genres do it all the time. Go bitch about white representation and see where it gets you. Tell American black rappers you want to see more representation in their videos considering whites buy the majority of their music. It won't happen, yet the reverse is forced. It stems from a group of people that live a life of hypocrisy.

Last edited:

T0minator

"First black lead" ahem.....

S8AzMgw.gif
That game looks amazing...makes me look forward to the Remaster early 2022

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The issue is, most game creators are white. And creators typically create people that look like them. Black artists from all genres do it all the time. Go bitch about white representation and see where it gets you. Tell American black rappers you want to see more representation in their videos considering whites buy the majority of their music. It won't happen, yet the reverse is forced. It stems from a group of people that live a life of hypocrisy.
It comes down to a pandering + PR game for companies + the sales demographic.

Most western game studios are actually white + asian employees, yet you hardly see any asian leads in western games. It's almost all white and black. You also see almost no latino leads in any game unless it's a game like GTA involving thuggish hoods or drug traffickers. And the Latino/Hispanic population is bigger than Asians and Black combined. Yet basically nada.

And I cant remember ever seeing an East Indian lead or a Native Indian lead except maybe Prey.

Modern day PR is catering to the Black + LBGT communities.

In recent years, the black community is all over gaming and tvs ads. The LBGT group isn't really in media, but instead you get a million companies changing their logo to rainbow on Linkedin leading up to June. When Pride MOnth is over, they change it back.

Every company I've work at the past 10+ years has done this, BUT internally only one actually did some kind of marketing to that group putting money into promotions as part of Pride parades or causes. The rest did nothing except change the corporate logo for a month. There's going to be lots of people who think changing a logo means they care. But really it's just to get some brownie points hoping it leads to more sales.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yep. Good point.

I think the problem with video games is that there are no real bankable actors. When Danzel and Will Smith were making blockbusters in the 90s and 2000s, no one really cared what their race was because they were charismatic and bankable lead actors. In video games, studios are bankable. Characters and voice actors, not so much. Unless its an existing comic book character like Miles. They can go and hire a hollywood actor like Michael B. Jordan or Jeffrey Wright but it could end up as forced and miscast as we saw in Tenet. THE best actor should get the part. Regardless of race.

I think we need to let artists do what they want to do. I didnt like that Nolan was pressured into casting a black lead. I dont like Neil being pressured to do the same. I really dont like how games are designed by committee nowadays, and its insane that Neil would be in meetings where other people would decide if his next character has to be black. Imagine some no name dev telling Kojima that he cant hire Mads or Norman Reedus because hes never made a game with a black lead.

Though i get the feeling that the directive likely came from Neil himself lol. Still, if he wants to, that's fine. Its his game. It just better not come across as forced because I really dont want another fucking Abby. Unlikeable and unrelatable are not the qualities I want from a protagonist.

Eh. Admirable as it maybe, Nolan did this and completely miscast Danzel Washington’s son John David Washington. He would’ve been great as Neil. He’s good but not ready to be the male lead. The movie likely suffered as a result. Robert Pattinson should’ve been the male lead.

I don’t have any proof but I think Abby also started as a ‘wouldn’t it be cool to have a butch female lead’ character. Her character suffered as a result IMO. She looked too cartoony and weird to be relatable.

Let’s hope they have a good actor like Isaac’s actor Jeffry Wright lined up to play the lead. He needs to have screen presence and gravitas first and foremost.
Dunno, I thought John was good in Tenet; Robert was too but what really hurt the film were the COVID lockdowns if we're being honest.

yurinka

I think it's worrying when the important focus (for ND, Sony and the players) is something like the race instead of if the game, its story, character, actor and performance is great.

it wouldnt surprise me if ND started design discussions with “we already know that X gender of Y race will be the lead, how do we make a story around that?”

when it should be natural, the story you want to tell may lend itself to a certain race or lead

It is pandering. You look at the game reveals lately and 50% of them seem to be black females. What percentage of the population is that? Why are we having to force that demographic so much into games rather than letting it be more natural? It’s just a way to virtue signal and it’s pretty embarrassing how forced it all is
This is what worries me, wanting to collect virtua signaling woke medals representing underepresented groups they'd end having as lead a fat, ugly, pink haired black non-binary aceflux trans lesbian disabled granny with the body and voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger that I assume wouldn't appeal most of their fans or the average AAA game customer.

I'd make characters appealing to the majority main customer demographics instead to avoid more Abby cases, and then would add a very complete character editor with even 900 pronouns and sexual identities if they want. In my case I just want to play with the common guy or girl, if possible by default.

Hire Idris Elba and make it an action game
Idris Elba would be great for a narrative focused ND game. If it's action Blade, call Wesley Snipes and a Blade game. But I think now it's time for ND and SSM to make their own new IPs.

Please, not another marvel IP! Why not give the voice of Kratos a chance? Voice + actor (face, persona) = done!
This dude makes an awesome work as Kratos.

Last edited:

mekes

As long as Druckmann isn't making another game for his daughter we might enjoy it. Who honestly gives a shit about the colour of a video game character? I feel like the only way this even becomes a talking point is if the only thing we know about the game is that it has a black lead. It says more about the "leaker" than the game.

Show the game and this leak and this thread will fade into obscurity.

I wish things had ended differently with Henry in TLOU, I liked his character, it would have been cool to see a side story with him in it or even a sequel that doesn't star Ellie since she was so annoying in TLOU2, maybe focus on a new group of survivors.

carlosrox

Banned
Cool. Really.

I do earnestly think there aren't enough black leads in games and I could give a fuck less about the social/political ramifications of it but simply for the sake of variety/being different.

I always thought it would be cool for one of the Resident Evil leads to be a black guy for example. No real reasoning behind it aside from what I mentioned above.

Too bad this probably won't be a horror game :(

yurinka

In big companies I think they traditionally design their products (so characters too) thinking on the tastes of their target user. So they offer what they think that type of customer demographics prefers to buy, what they think it's going to sell more between the main kind of people who traditionally or potentially could buy this product.

So in a market like rap, not sure about its market but I'd bet it sells a majority of its copies in USA and the majority of their customers I assume are black, so it makes sense to have mostly black artists.

For a PlayStation Studios game, their main market is Europe and they want to grow big in the biggest gaming market of the world, Asia (which means mostly China). They are selling a $80 game for a $500 toy. So between this type of customer black people is a tiny minority. It isn't like in USA, where black people is over 10% of the population.

In any case I think it's impossible to make everyone happy unless you go via the character editor route.

Last edited:

Thief1987

This whole "rumor" is years old and based on a fact that at one point ND searched for a black mocap actor with a certain features. That's all. But i understand that raging idiots in this thread don't need facts, so you can continue your honourable mission.

Last edited:

Duchess

Hey, so long as the game is good, right?

Sony was actually cautious about making the lead of Horizon Zero Dawn female, as they thought it would alienate players.

Tommi84

Imagine we would live in a world, where main characters are not evaluated on their character, but skin color. Imagine, how many bricks would be shat, if there was a new game and the producer would say 'look, it's a white male!'. One would consider this a racist world.

In all seriousnes, as long as the story is great, as long as the character is well written, he or she may even be blue for all that matter. I really don't care

NoviDon

So in a market like rap, not sure about its market but I'd bet it sells a majority of its copies in USA and the majority of their customers I assume are black, so it makes sense to have mostly black artists.
A quick google search would eliminate your ignorance. Rap/Hip hops biggest consumer base is college aged white people. Like 70 plus percent of the consumers are white...just like the american population actually. Hip hop is also a world famous genre and superstar artists tour around the world. I mean drake dominated the billboards for over a month he had his whole album in the top ten lol...

mxbison

Mentioning the lead character race just seems like stirring up shit (which people will probably do regardless in ND threads but still...).

Cool to see them working on a new IP. Any game from them is day 1 for me.

TastyPastry

that was more of a joke post, my favourite game protags have always been female and i don't care about race at all

i honestly believe that naughty dog won't make another game with a straight white male lead for the next 20 years though (aside from the TLOU remake). lots of the more woke studios nowadays think making a straight white male the lead is standing on the wrong side of history.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
we all know ND is doing it to check boxes. thats the problen
It's not really a problem.

FYI: Do some research on fighting games. Developers have been checking these so-called "boxes" for years.

You should also see how many fighting games want to see characters from their country. Guile from Street Fighter was specifically made to appeal to an American audience.

NoviDon

that was more of a joke post, my favourite game protags have always been female and i don't care about race at all

i honestly believe that naughty dog won't make another game with a straight white male lead for the next 20 years though (aside from the TLOU remake). lots of the more woke studios nowadays think making a straight white male the lead is standing on the wrong side of history.
I mean, I get where your coming from. I think going against the artistic vision of creatives to force a fake image of inclusion and diverse thinking is not genuine and pretty lame. But on both sides of the argument for and against representation from other demographics, there are crazy extreme people on both sides. But I would rather be on the side that doesn't have people that legit hate that people that don't look exactly like them are the main alpha leads in a game they want to play.

Am I sad that some people are outraged that they get to experience being represented as the token side characters in some games and other media now, which was my entire life experience? Can't say I am.

I thought Gaf removed the political thread but any time a game appears to have an LGBT character, a butch woman, a different ethnicity character, or a character selection option that includes non binary.... There ends up being a thread about it and a load of people throwing the word 'woke' around'
and claiming its the end of gaming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom