• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog recruiter seemingly hints at plans for more Uncharted games

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
uncharted-4-1280x720.jpg

On Tuesday, Christina-Marie Drake McBrearty announced on LinkedIn that she had joined the studio this month as a primary recruiter.

In her post, McBrearty said she is “scouting for talent at every level” and it’s “special being able to be building future teams for not only new titles but for the legacy of Uncharted”.

Naughty Dog developed Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (2007), Uncharted: Among Thieves (2009), Uncharted: Drake’s Deception (2011), Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (2016) and its standalone expansion Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (2017).

The franchise also includes several spin-offs, most notably Uncharted: Golden Abyss (2011), which was developed by Sony’s Bend Studio for PlayStation Vita.

All of Naughty Dog’s core series entries have also been remastered. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (2015), which included remasters of the first three games, was developed by Sony-owned Bluepoint Games.

And Naughty Dog’s Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection (Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy remasters) was released earlier this year for PS5 and is coming to PC later in 2022 via developer Iron Galaxy.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Let Drake Die.

It's time to move on. Do one more TLOU3 game. End it on a high note. Then move on.

Do a space sci fi game.

Or do a Game of thrones medieval style game.

Branch out like they always have. Thats why they are such a successful studio. They never pigeonholed themselves to Crash or Jak or Uncharted. They need to move the fuck on.

Kokoloko85

Werent they doing this with San Deigo studio?
Im good with them using another team to do Uncharted. Let the main Naugty Dog team work on New IP and TLOU3

Kokoloko85

Let Drake Die.

It's time to move on. Do one more TLOU3 game. End it on a high note. Then move on.

Do a space sci fi game.

Branch out like they always have. Thats why they are such a successful studio. They never pigeonholed themselves to Crash or Jak or Uncharted. They need to move the fuck on.

Agreed. Hopefully its a new team working on Uncharted. But dont kill Drake off lol

Enough already, time for a new IP or to put it in the hands of another studio.

Unless it's an Uncharted game set in the 1600s, then I'm game.

Lost Legacy was already underwhelming in comparison to Uncharted 4.

Last edited:
Enough already, time for a new IP or to put it in the hands of another studio.

Unless it's an Uncharted game set in the 1600s, then I'm game.

Lost Legacy was already underwhelming in comparison to Uncharted 4.
That would be interesting to set it in a diff time period but remain realistic. Not sure how it'd work for certain aspects of the gameplay.

Uncharted is kind of hit or miss though, just like movies sometimes are. It's a neat idea, but in honesty if ND were to work on any previous IPs, just let it be J&D and make a true return to it, applying all their storytelling skills from uncharted/TLOU, etc.

People have said oh well cartoons are like a downgrade for them, i disagree to that. They can make a cartoony game look more realistic and amp up the detail. See the Jak 3 commercials, and then imagine that with todays graphics.

There's rumors floating around that ND is currently working on unannounced fantasy game.. here's hoping it's J&D?

That would be interesting to set it in a diff time period but remain realistic. Not sure how it'd work for certain aspects of the gameplay.

Uncharted is kind of hit or miss though, just like movies sometimes are. It's a neat idea, but in honesty if ND were to work on any previous IPs, just let it be J&D and make a true return to it, applying all their storytelling skills from uncharted/TLOU, etc.

People have said oh well cartoons are like a downgrade for them, i disagree to that. They can make a cartoony game look more realistic and amp up the detail. See the Jak 3 commercials, and then imagine that with todays graphics.

There's rumors floating around that ND is currently working on unannounced fantasy game.. here's hoping it's J&D?
J&D would be even worse, doesn't seem like something that would fit current ND at all.

An Uncharted set in the Golden Age of Piracy is a good compromise but I still think a new IP makes a lot more sense.

If Ready at Dawn was still independent they would be the perfect studio to take over Uncharted, I would give the IP to Sony Bend if they were interested.

ND working on TLoU Remake is already a big waste of talent.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Uncharted 4 was not enjoyable at all (as a game)

The story was great but too mature for its own sake.
I think it was a good game, but the problem for me was it took too long to "begin". The pace was absolutely terrible! Although I agree the less serious tone of the 1st two games felt much better for the franchise.

I'd rather ND to start a new game.

Last edited:
J&D would be even worse, doesn't seem like something that would fit current ND at all.
Despite the cartoony aesthetic, the storytelling in J&D was already heading in the same direction that the more mature titles that came afterwards were. I think a soft-reboot is needed to allow them the freedom to do new entiries properly these days, but i dont see why people are so foreign to the idea of them going back to it. They just need to, like, do it right. As with anything else.

I know ND did actually tried to reboot J&D with a more realistic art style awhile back, but the way in which they were doing it was not right which is why they shelved it. They even admitted to that it was deviating too hard from the original and becoming something diff (which, IIRC, turned into TLOU), if you go find the article. These rumors of a fantasy game coming from them to me is interesting though, i suppose fantasy doesnt necessarily have to be cartoons tho.

Definitely agree their studio is more well-suited to making realistic games at this point. I suppose making cartoons look realistic would be a neat challenge for them.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I think it was a good game, but the problem for me was it took too long to "begin". The pace was absolutely terrible! Although I agree the less serious tone of the 1st two games felt much better for the franchise.

I'd rather ND to start a new game.
they touch on that in an interview. If I remember correctly they even had like a stamina system when climbing.

remember they had creative issues with the game as weell; they didn't had the time to trim down some levels.

those issues definitively impacted the pacing.

Very much enjoyed the Uncharted games but it felt like the formula was fully tapped by the 4th. I'd rather they let it rest for a good while but I know to them that's just leaving money on the table.

Fbh

Make open world Uncharted with a focus on AAA set pieces, deep progression systems, and more gameplay variety for platforming and puzzles

Uncharted ain’t done yet, but the slog and talk formula is stale

Agreed.

I'd be more tired of Uncharted if there still wasn't so much room to make something cooler with it.
They've got the visuals, setpieces and combat down, but they could do so much more with puzzles, exploration and platforming.

Then again I don't trust modern Naughty Dog with any of that. They'll probably continue to focus on story so we need less platforming and more walking around so characters can talk.

Let Drake Die.

Do a space sci fi game.

They'll probably let Drake die regardless of them continuing the franchise or not.
I'd bet money that if we get a new Ucharted Drake won't be the main character. You'll either play as his daughter, or they'll continue the Chloe/Nadine dynamic from Lost Legacy or they'll just introduce a new character.

But yeah I'd MUCH rather see them do something new. Introducing new IPs every gen was one of the things I really liked about ND. Now they've been stuck making sequels for a whole gen.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Nice, and if we are lucky we might be able to play it in 8 years on the ps6 because ever fucking game takes a decade to make now

Billbofet

I have loved all Uncharted games, but enough is enough.
There's just nothing left there. By the end of Uncharted 4, I could barely take it anymore. Lost Legacy felt like homework.

They are a super talented developer that should really start a new OP.

YukiOnna

As someone who doesn’t like the current direction of ND I definitely want them to continue Uncharted to keep that adventure identity going.

I loved U4 but Nate needs to be the protagonist like always. Hate protagonists being replaced.

Fuck yes!

The franchise has been a long time favourite of mine. It would be a shame to have seen ND abandon it. Especially for a game that pushed the Playstation hardware consistently and with all its entries, and took cinematic gaming experiences onto a whole new level.

However that being said, I wouldn't mind if Naughty Dog instead focused on a brand new IP, as other posters have said something like a new sci-fi game or something set in medieval fantasy.

If we can get both of those then that would be a huge bonus, ND defiantly has the resources and man power.

Saiyan-Rox

Of course there's gonna be more that's a no brainer

It's just gonna be Nathan's daughter and she's gonna be super pissed off about Nathan's past of being a thief and doesn't talk to her dad cause she's ashamed even though she goes about doing the same thing but under the guise of its for museums and not profit 🙃

Fredrik

Chloe was so boring compared to Nate, I was so happy once another character shows up beyond Chloe and Nadine.
Chloe was nicer to look at. But what other character are you thinking of? Sam? He’s the uglier shittier brother, can’t have him as the main protagonist. As I see it, if they aren’t doing Lost Legacy 2 with Chloe then they’ll do a mainline Uncharted with Nate’s daughter Cassie. Maybe a young Sully game could work too.

Last edited:
It's one of sonys biggest ip and it's been 6 years since uncharted 4. I think its time to bring it back. I'm just hoping it's more action heavy like uncharted 1-3. Yeah, you can have quiet moments but not like half the game like in U4.

Chloe was nicer to look at. But what other character are you thinking of? Sam? He’s the uglier shittier brother, can’t have him as the main protagonist. As I see it, if they aren’t doing Lost Legacy 2 with Chloe then they’ll do a mainline Uncharted with Nate’s daughter Cassie. Maybe a young Sully game could work too.
Lost Legacy got a lot more fun when Sam showed up, felt more like Uncharted.

To me the pairing of Chloe and Nadine just didn't work all that well. Drake and Sully, Drake and Elena, Drake and Chloe, Drake and Sam all those pairing worked much better to me, I guess I just liked him much more as the main character.

Chloe didn't seem to have enough conflict within her to carry the game for me.

Last edited:

SSfox

He’s old, last year’s model, we have Chloe now, Lost Legacy was great.
Lost Legacy was great as spin off, and to be fair the game itself was better than Uncharted 4 imo in some aspects, like pacing. But Uncharted without drake i don't feel it much, it's like Indiana jones without Indiana jones, or Tomb Raider without Lara Croft, some characters are just too iconic to be replaced, just make a new franchise with new character at this point.

Not saying they can't make his daughter as interesting (which probably will be the main character in next game), but this is some super hardcore challenge.

Last edited:

Barakov

Eh....Uncharted 4 was a good note to end on. Still it'd be interesting to see what an Uncharted 5 would be. Weirdly, I think Naughty Dog has something to prove given how divisive TLOU Part II was.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I do my best to not be a hater, I know millions of people love these games but man, sometimes you just gotta move past an IP and work on something new.

Whatever, it is what it is.

SLB1904

Banned
Always find weird Uncharted is in is forth game but neogaf users are already tired, and some franchises have pass the 10th or their 20th game of the franchise and no passa nada.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
This franchise is too big and will obviously continue now as the movie has made some money but I was hoping Sony let another studio take over.

Top Bottom