• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog On The Last Of Us Part II’s Controversy, Characters, And Ending

Freeman

Banned
Second sentence of my post. I even bolded it. You’re arguing with a ghost.

I reiterate:

I do not agree with all of these and haven’t looked closely at many of them.
I just answered the issues brought up in there. If there is valid criticism to be made that ain't it.

tassletine

Yikes. So you're supposed to ignore death threats as part of the cost of doing business, but remarking upon them is "sociopathic"?

Do you not recognize how twisted your justifications are?

The guy made a game not everyone liked, and now he's a sociopath because he had the temerity to defend his work and his collaborators against anonymous internet scumbags?
I didn't say that you were supposed to ignore death threats, so please don't put words into my mouth. You just have to report them to the authorities like any sensible person would and let them deal with them -- not joke about them like they're some badge of honour.

Before the game was released he joked on Twitter "Sorry Kory, you haven't reached the necessary death threat quota". Then went on to post a wall of them later, when the game was released.
I wonder why he waited? Were sales slow that week?

So yes, using those threats to publicise your own work is dodgy.
He's not defending anything, because he knows (as I have said) that these threats are almost never serious. He's capitalising on the situation.
Also, any broadcasting of 'death threat' type accusations is likely to cause more of them not less -- something his publicist or the police would have warned him about.

Umbral

Haven't you been pretty adamant about the issues with the game in threads like the leaks thread? Why not give YOUR reasons?
I have been. My personal issues with the game are all over my post history. I like the game alright, but I do not think it’s a masterpiece.

My issues with the game are more narrative and mechanical than anything, though I do agree that some California culture is present.

I really wasn’t bothered by the few forced woke moments in the game, it didn’t detract from the experience for me. If anything I appreciated that female empowerment didn’t take the form of all the male characters being morons or uncontrollable and violent. They all get killed, but I consider it a small victory. Having played through it finally I guess I’m not seeing what all the hubbub is about, really good game imo. And I didn’t love the first one, I think it had a much better story. This one has much better gameplay though, so I’m good.

I really wasn’t bothered by the few forced woke moments in the game, it didn’t detract from the experience for me. If anything I appreciated that female empowerment didn’t take the form of all the male characters being morons or uncontrollable and violent. They all get killed, but I consider it a small victory. Having played through it finally I guess I’m not seeing what all the hubbub is about, really good game imo. And I didn’t love the first one, I think it had a much better story. This one has much better gameplay though, so I’m good.

I agree. Although I think the first game had a better story even though Ellie being the cure was pretty cliche to me. But it was much more straight forward and simple and felt more like a good B movie as opposed to Part 2 that feels more like a very complex and artistic Hollywood film.

My biggest problem with the "wokeness" is that they had to explain to me that Lev was trans instead of leaving me to make my own judgement's and figure it for out myself. I was also completely fine with Joels death, I just wish you played as Young Abby first, saw your Dad die, played up to the theater and then half way through the game switched to young Ellie and played from the there in chronological order.

That would have put Joel's death little more than halfway past the mid point in the story and would have made the climax much more impactful.

I didn't have a problem with the story, I had a problem with the directing choices.[/QUOTE]

Edit I tried to reply to what you said highrider but your quote got fucked up when I was typing. And I'm not sure how to fix it.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Drukkmann is definitely some sick fuck. I've been playing The Last of Us Part II and noticed that almost every character is a woman, including a boy who turns out to be a woman. And half of the game is these women beating the shit out of each other. What's wrong with this guy?

J3nga

Drukkmann is definitely some sick fuck. I've been playing The Last of Us Part II and noticed that almost every character is a woman, including a boy who turns out to be a woman. And half of the game is these women beating the shit out of each other. What's wrong with this guy?
Anita threatened that she would stop straponning him if he wouldn't make every woman a strong woman and white men would be there with one and one purpose only - die like dogs.

EruditeHobo

This seems like a weird way to spend your time when you have such ire for a make-believe interactive story.

Characters and story don't have to be for everyone. The story, the characters, the original game, they don't belong to anyone. It's too bad the vocal minority didn't get more out of the game but I don't understand the need to keep rehashing how much you hate something.

Last edited:
Every major content creator receives death threats on a daily basis, it's what public figures have come to expect on the internet. Who wants to bet that they turned it into a political gamer gate issue? Neil's first mistake was being friends with Sarkeesian.

I wonder why this dead thread has been bumpe-
tenor.gif

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I just replayed TLOU Part II and on a technical level I think it's the advanced game we've ever had

I do wish the story went in chronological order though like someone had mentioned but good game overall

Top Bottom