• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Native English men and women, what is your view of the accent of other people trying to speak English?

JimiNutz

Banned
I agree, however some accents are more fun to listen to than others and that's my issue. I don't want to bore people.

Honestly don't worry about it.
I think most English speakers will appreciate the accent and those that don't are weirdos.

One of the best thing about English being the number one worldwide language is the glorious accents.

Also remember that, chances are, you are speaking their language and they can't speak your native tongue at all.

If they are decent people they will appreciate that you have taken the effort to learn their language and will find your accent cute, regardless of how you think it sounds to your ear.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Honestly don't worry about it.
I think most English speakers will appreciate the accent and those that don't are weirdos.

One of the best thing about English being the number one worldwide language is the glorious accents.

Also remember that, chances are, you are speaking their language and they can't speak your native tongue at all.

If they are decent people they will appreciate that you have taken the effort to learn their language and will find your accent cute, regardless of how you think it sounds to your ear.
I don't really expect that someone foreign would spoke language of 10mil people total. That would be some dedication. Well on youtube there is someone who underwent this process as a American...I tamstamped something which is relevant to the discussion:

As you might hear, whenever he switch to Czech it sounds like when I am talking in English, it lack any sort of expression, it's like a reading from a book in basic school.

T8SC

I dont mind the accent at all. You've learned to speak our language whereas the vast majority of native English people can barely speak it themselves, let alone another countries language. I've always respected the Dutch for this as they (amonst others im sure) seem to be fluent in English from a very young age alongside their own language.

Also we have accents ourselves, have you ever tried to understand a Scouser? or a Geordie? or a Scot? ...

M1chl

I dont mind the accent at all. You've learned to speak our language whereas the vast majority of native English people can barely speak it themselves, let alone another countries language. I've always respected the Dutch for this as they (amonst others im sure) seem to be fluent in English from a very young age alongside their own language.

Also we have accents ourselves, have you ever tried to understand a Scouser? or a Geordie? or a Scot? ...
Yeah those mentioned accents are tough, but at least they have some expression and phonetic quality, which I have none, that's the difference which I was trying to make. Nobody is going to be bored, by some accent like Scottish, but with my speeching capabilities I have some reservation about that.

T8SC

Yeah those mentioned accents are tough, but at least they have some expression and phonetic quality, which I have none, that's the difference which I was trying to make. Nobody is going to be bored, by some accent like Scottish, but with my speeching capabilities I have some reservation about that.

The fact you've learned the language overcomes any phonetic quality. Personally, i respect people who learn the language and can write and/or speak it. Ever seen the English go on holiday to Spain? It's a good job most of the Spanish can speak English or there'd be a boom in translator books.

M1chl

The fact you've learned the language overcomes any phonetic quality. Personally, i respect people who learn the language and can write and/or speak it. Ever seen the English go on holiday to Spain? It's a good job most of the Spanish can speak English or there'd be a boom in translator books.
But English is really requirement, I feel like it's pretty strange that people find it weird that others speak English too, because if you look from the outside perspective, it's almost the easiest language which you can pick up, no genders no different form of words, yeah that accounts for a lot. I just find strange that English speaking people hardly ever put any sort of enthusiasm towards learning some other language, but at the same time they don't have to...

Greedings

But English is really requirement, I feel like it's pretty strange that people find it weird that others speak English too, because if you look from the outside perspective, it's almost the easiest language which you can pick up, no genders no different form of words, yeah that accounts for a lot. I just find strange that English speaking people hardly ever put any sort of enthusiasm towards learning some other language, but at the same time they don't have to...
The problem is the severe lack of media in other languages.
I’m trying to learn Russian, and like...I hate Russian TV, movies and music. Anglophone media is so much better, and there’s so much more of it.

my wife learned English like many do, watching tv and listening to music. Then doing a few classes at school.

M1chl

The problem is the severe lack of media in other languages.
I’m trying to learn Russian, and like...I hate Russian TV, movies and music. Anglophone media is so much better, and there’s so much more of it.

my wife learned English like many do, watching tv and listening to music. Then doing a few classes at school.
I feel like English is learnable by those means, Russian and most other languages are not, because they have a really complex grammar. Hell I think that this is not a hot take that you can learn basically anything for English grammar in one day, however when it comes to my native language, I know how to use it, but it that was picked up by environment and grammar of Czech language in school was total nightmare for me.

Wvrs

To echo what others said, native speakers are so used to hearing non-native speakers that even the most broken, barely comprehensible English leaves me non-plussed.

As someone who speaks conversational French and lower-intermediate Korean, it's not a courtesy that's often returned.

DESTROYA

I've had an opposite experience, I've talked with people from US (30 min+ convos, bus/plane trips and whatnot) and I've been asked what state I'm from. And I'm aware that I have an accent when I talk, being from Eastern Europe I thought it was pretty distinct too, but I guess not as much as I thought.
It really rarely happens and I guess it comes out a bit more if I'm drinking 🍻.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm an American living and working in Mexico. My company is American but all workers (aside from myself) are Mexicans speaking English. Some grew up in the U.S. and have a dialects of the U.S. State they grew up in. I grew up around foreigners most of my life; I have no preference for any particular English accents. When I used to teach English, I taught British English as it was more disciplined than the American system I grew up with.

Woffls

As a native English speaker living in southern England, I have more trouble interpreting regional dialects than those of non-native speakers. I can barely understand what people say on ITV. I guess the difference is in learning through education rather than environment.

Shout out to the Dutch for their humbling proficiency in speaking our language.

My God, what a long-winded opening post. You speak about verbosity in your native tongue and yet... To answer your question, I find the accents of foreigners far more charming and often more eloquent than native English speakers. In the video you posted, the speaker has clarity, and thinks before he speaks. Most native English accents are horrendous and utterly offensive to the ears, unless it's spoken by someone graceful like Freddie Mercury or Maria Callas. Go and watch some interviews and you'll see what I mean. Your comment on the Balkans was slightly odd given that you live in Europe and are Slavic yourself, but I see someone already brought that up.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Accents don't matter. It only matters if you can be understood clearly or not. I actually hate when people have really fake native accents but poor English. Like, why is Joe Hollywood here making all these grammar errors?

I have nothing but respect for those that take the time and effort to learn a new language, accents do not matter at all and are to be expected. Some people eventually end up so fluent that you can barely tell they're a non-native English speaker. You shouldn't worry about it; I'm English and I struggle with strong Scottish and Irish accents or half of the mumble that comes out of the mouths of youths.

I will say I have disdain for people that move abroad and can't even be bothered to learn to string a sentence together. Doesn't matter if it's immigrants coming here or English natives moving overseas, it doesn't take much to learn a few damn sentences. I find it very tiresome having dozens of customers everyday that can only say "Sorry" and point at things.

M1chl

My God, what a long-winded opening post. You speak about verbosity in your native tongue and yet... To answer your question, I find the accents of foreigners far more charming and often more eloquent than native English speakers. In the video you posted, the speaker has clarity, and thinks before he speaks. Most native English accents are horrendous and utterly offensive to the ears, unless it's spoken by someone graceful like Freddie Mercury or Maria Callas. Go and watch some interviews and you'll see what I mean. Your comment on the Balkans was slightly odd given that you live in Europe and are Slavic yourself, but I see someone already brought that up.
I am sorry, but sometimes I feel the need to articulate my post, where I am coming from and that kind of stuff. And well with Balkans, I recognize, that basically my memory does not really came back in fullest, so that was fuck up on my part. Since I don't know what is important and what is not and time to get back to live was/is limited, I sadly really did not know prior of writing my comment, that they belong to same group as us. I admit.

I have nothing but respect for those that take the time and effort to learn a new language, accents do not matter at all and are to be expected. Some people eventually end up so fluent that you can barely tell they're a non-native English speaker. You shouldn't worry about it; I'm English and I struggle with strong Scottish and Irish accents or half of the mumble that comes out of the mouths of youths.

I will say I have disdain for people that move abroad and can't even be bothered to learn to string a sentence together. Doesn't matter if it's immigrants coming here or English natives moving overseas, it doesn't take much to learn a few damn sentences. I find it very tiresome having dozens of customers everyday that can only say "Sorry" and point at things.
I mean, you don't have to have respect, because learning native language is something which is given based on parents, however English knowledge is required, it's difference between success and failure in the world. I am actually glad, that English is the "go to language", because it's so simple and elegant, vague and you can improvise a lot. I like this language a lot...

#Phonepunk#

Banned
its all good. i understand the cultural dominance of English means it is a language learned all over the world. some funny accents are no big deal (we have to deal with them even within our own countries)

M1chl

its all good. i understand the cultural dominance of English means it is a language learned all over the world. some funny accents are no big deal (we have to deal with them even within our own countries)
My fear, especially in here is that people just tolerate my English, my grammar fuck ups because I am foreign, instead I like to be corrected, because that's only way to learn. I also dealing with dys-function, which are sadly very real thing and I basically struggle to really concentrate on written word.

Accent is a problem for me, because tons of stuff in English is said through expression, since it's vague language, you have to have some sort of expression to give it additional context. Without that, people are confused and since there is some notion in Anglo Saxon countries, that everyone has to be nice, I worry that I give people a wrong impression.

I am sorry, but sometimes I feel the need to articulate my post, where I am coming from and that kind of stuff. And well with Balkans, I recognize, that basically my memory does not really came back in fullest, so that was fuck up on my part. Since I don't know what is important and what is not and time to get back to live was/is limited, I sadly really did not know prior of writing my comment, that they belong to same group as us. I admit.
Don't worry, it's no problem. My message was a bit stern, anyway. By the way, if you're concerned about your accent, maybe you can record some phrases for us and let us hear you.

M1chl

Don't worry, it's no problem. My message was a bit stern, anyway. By the way, if you're concerned about your accent, maybe you can record some phrases for us and let us hear you.
Maybe I do that, however seems like a really tough stuff and it would made me feel vulnerable and since I cannot drink, I probably take my time for another thread or maybe not. I care about voice a lot in my life, so maybe it's just obsessing over nothing...

Drake

bro's, if you are bilingual that in itself is very impressive. Native English speakers don't give a shit anyways if you have an accent. Also, just because you have an accent doesn't mean your command of the language isn't strong. It's nothing to be self-conscious about, believe me.

Honestly, I don't know how you Europeans do it. I took like 10 years of Spanish in school and still sucked at it. Hell my buddy married a Latino girl who is fully fluent in both languages and he still can't speak it. LOL.

M1chl

bro's, if you are bilingual that in itself is very impressive. Native English speakers don't give a shit anyways if you have an accent. Also, just because you have an accent doesn't mean your command of the language isn't strong. It's nothing to be self-conscious about, believe me.

Honestly, I don't know how you Europeans do it. I took like 10 years of Spanish in school and still sucked at it. Hell my buddy married a Latino girl who is fully fluent in both languages and he still can't speak it. LOL.
Well it's about training and since English is all around the internet, in movies, TV shows, music, you get a ton of training.

Is that realz truf doe? Don't sugr coat it
Yeah it is. (Nice reply btw :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

Non-native speakers struggle because often times their English is too perfect. Especially if you're foreign and move somewhere with a heavy accent (Yorkshire, Liverpool, Birmingham etc)

What is really cool about the non-native English speakers that i've met, is that they choose which words to learn. So good, positive, friendly words are a yes, nasty, negative and horrible words are a no. Learning a new language gives you a chance to eliminate bad habits of your native personality.

Cattlyst

As an Englishman I have done a lot of travelling to Europe and Eastern Europe and I actually really appreciate anybody who has learnt English. I had the audacity to go to Poland, Bulgaria, Hungary with not one word of their language and a phrasebook, yet they spoke to me in English. With an accent yes, but in my own language. I have nothing but respect for them for that, and I felt embarrassed not being able to say more than a few words back to them.

M1chl

Yeah it is. (Nice reply btw :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

Non-native speakers struggle because often times their English is too perfect. Especially if you're foreign and move somewhere with a heavy accent (Yorkshire, Liverpool, Birmingham etc)

What is really cool about the non-native English speakers that i've met, is that they choose which words to learn. So good, positive, friendly words are a yes, nasty, negative and horrible words are a no. Learning a new language gives you a chance to eliminate bad habits of your native personality.
I mean I wrote that basically just like we pronnouce it, outside of "doe" : D And I don't think that my English is good, let alone perfect...

As an Englishman I have done a lot of travelling to Europe and Eastern Europe and I actually really appreciate anybody who has learnt English. I had the audacity to go to Poland, Bulgaria, Hungary with not one word of their language and a phrasebook, yet they spoke to me in English. With an accent yes, but in my own language. I have nothing but respect for them for that, and I felt embarrassed not being able to say more than a few words back to them.
Well I am suprised thoughout Eastern Europe English is not really something which people regularly speak...

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
Interesting thing I noticed is that there's rarely any slavic person that can speak solid english. Almost everyone has an accent. I was watching an interview with Croteam, serious sam devs, and they sound like shit. Instant tell that they're not a native speaker. All slavic countries have a hard accent when trying to speak english. I did encounter a few Polish people who could get a pass.

Perfect pitch = perfect pronunciation, no matter which country.
All others need to work on their accent.
Obviously you have a better "ear" for "slavisms" that's why it's so easy to detect Slavic accents. :messenger_winking:

M1chl

Perfect pitch = perfect pronunciation, no matter which country.
All others need to work on their accent.
Obviously you have a better "ear" for "slavisms" that's why it's so easy to detect Slavic accents. :messenger_winking:
I have pitch perfect even now, I can hear stuf and I know which tone it is, however my vocal cords suck, I hear that I does not pronnouce it corretly and that makes me sad and frustrated. I have issue with words like literraly, better and stuff like that.

psorcerer

Banned
I have pitch perfect even now, I can hear stuf and I know which tone it is, however my vocal cords suck, I hear that I does not pronnouce it corretly and that makes me sad and frustrated. I have issue with words like literraly, better and stuff like that.

That's not what I call perfect pitch. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
What do Prague divorce attorneys have in common with waiters?
They’re both often asked to separate Czechs.

M1chl

Can you say what are the exact pitches that a door squeak produced? 😅
Those are not constant tones tho, it somewhat glides, it's weird thing to describe, it's more like that some dog bark and I am thinking about "oh yeah must me in D2 and then thinking to myself "what the fuck you are doing"...

Those times I visited the US first off I tried to talk without accent, but then I noticed it's much more fun for everyone when I do that german accent thing.

psorcerer

Banned
Those are not constant tones tho, it somewhat glides, it's weird thing to describe, it's more like that some dog bark and I am thinking about "oh yeah must me in D2 and then thinking to myself "what the fuck you are doing"...

Cool, if you involuntary think about pitches of everyday sounds you do have a perfect ear. Yup.

I have a question for those who English is a second language.
In your native language, say for instance German, can you tell where people are from based on their accent when speaking German as a second language?
It's pretty obvious if the person speaking English is from Germany, France, Italy etc, so is that the same with someone speaking say German as well? Can you tell if that person is from France, or Australia, or China?

M1chl

I have a question for those who English is a second language.
In your native language, say for instance German, can you tell where people are from based on their accent when speaking German as a second language?
It's pretty obvious if the person speaking English is from Germany, France, Italy etc, so is that the same with someone speaking say German as well? Can you tell if that person is from France, or Australia, or China?
Like there is not much examples with foreigners trying to speak Czech, but yeah you can immediately tell. Especially English speaking people saying Czech words so dramatically...

psorcerer

Banned
Like there is not much examples with foreigners trying to speak Czech, but yeah you can immediately tell. Especially English speaking people saying Czech words so dramatically...

Czech is so weird. Like I understand what they say but talking back is useless, I cannot get into the flow and people just don't understand. It's much easier to answer in English (if young, and Russian, if old). Polish is easier and much more ..."slavic"...😅

M1chl

Czech is so weird. Like I understand what they say but talking back is useless, I cannot get into the flow and people just don't understand. It's much easier to answer in English (if young, and Russian, if old). Polish is easier and much more ..."slavic"...😅
You understand Czech? And also yeah, we are very different than "classic Slavic", we even have months named differently than other slavic languages. It's shit because you all have some derivation of English named months and we have Leden, Únor, Březen, atd....I mean etc : D

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
You understand Czech? And also yeah, we are very different than "classic Slavic", we even have months named differently than other slavic languages. It's shit because you all have some derivation of English named months and we have Leden, Únor, Březen, atd....I mean etc : D

It's pretty common to have weird month names: Ukrainian, Croatian, Polish have the same shit 😂

Jezbollah

It's pretty cringy. But I think the same for British actors trying to speak with an American accent - I would imagine it gets a similar response in kind.

For example, I have never been able to watch more than a few minutes of "House" because I know what Hugh Laurie sounds like - and his accent is to me cringy as fuck.

Top Bottom