• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Cringe Native English men and women, what is your view of the accent of other people trying to speak English?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dec 25, 2019
Prague, Czech Republic
It's pretty cringy. But I think the same for British actors trying to speak with an American accent - I would imagine it gets a similar response in kind.

For example, I have never been able to watch more than a few minutes of "House" because I know what Hugh Laurie sounds like - and his accent is to me cringy as fuck.
What is cringy, accents?

Ornlu

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
M1chl M1chl , I think for most native English speakers in the US, there is no real issue. The only time you might catch some grief for it is if the accent is straight up unintelligible, or if the person is already hard of hearing.

Sometimes accents can be quite endearing; for example I work with a woman who speaks with a slight accent, but has a few words she pronounces with the absolute hardest NJ/NY accent you could possibly imagine. Turns out she learned English from a teacher in NJ, and the pronunciations stuck. I think it's funny as hell.

To echo what others said, native speakers are so used to hearing non-native speakers that even the most broken, barely comprehensible English leaves me non-plussed.

As someone who speaks conversational French and lower-intermediate Korean, it's not a courtesy that's often returned.

I think that's one of the things I like most about the US in particular; there is very, very little pushback toward people who speak English with a thick accent. The most people will usually get is a "So, where are you from?", which unfortunately people sometimes take the wrong way.

Reactions: M1chl

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Jan 1, 2009
Jim.
I have mad respect for any non-native English speaker, who can speak my language.

since trying to learn french and stumbling loads I understand the difficulties etc.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dec 25, 2019
Prague, Czech Republic
I have mad respect for any non-native English speaker, who can speak my language.

since trying to learn french and stumbling loads I understand the difficulties etc.
Well French is like 1000x more difficult, English is easier than learning grammar of my own language, no joke.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Jan 1, 2009
Jim.
Well French is like 1000x more difficult, English is easier than learning grammar of my own language, no joke.
I've started so see how English is the most simple language in terms of how it is constructed, very limited conjugation etc

John Day

Jan 12, 2018
San Juan, PR
I can read/write english pretty well, even think to myself in english. But don’t have a lot of practice speaking it (noone to talk with here in english), so, when i do my tongue gets in the way and i start second guessing what i have so clear in my head.
🤣

• Strength

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Jan 1, 2009
Jim.
However pronounciation, is really wild, you basically have to learn every single word....
yes french freaked me out as you miss words at the end,

for English, its words that sound the same but are written differently:
witch and which.

also
words that are written the same but pronounced differently

Live, Live
Read, Read
Lead, Lead

that I bet can mess up non-native speakers

Last edited: