• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA: Earth warming at unprecedented pace, unlikely to stay in Paris T° range

• Thread starter Deleted member 80556
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
global_emissions_sector_2015.png

Heat production is a high percentage. Thanks to global warming we will be spending less energy.

DKHustlin

awesome post

this is a goddamn good post and i am ashamed i didnt make it. i was being a little gloomy, but i still feel a lot of the shifts you are talking about arent happening due to a lack of cultural importance. EVs especially, looks at how hard it is to sell people on EV cars. but i think your post is super important in this thread, thanks

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The planet and the living things on it are pretty fucked at this point.

I'm no scientist but I really feel like we're post the point of no return on this one.

I'm 30 and I'm really not looking forward to the next 50 years. Here's hoping things don't go to shit too quickly. Living in New Orleans means that I'll be the first to feel the effects, both on the rising oceans and the stifling heat.

I think the worst part of all of this is that it's really made me reconsider bringing children into the world. I don't want them burdened with the mess we've made.

this is a goddamn good post and i am ashamed i didnt make it. i was being a little gloomy, but i still feel a lot of the shifts you are talking about arent happening due to a lack of cultural importance. EVs especially, looks at how hard it is to sell people on EV cars. but i think your post is super important in this thread, thanks

We don't need Ev cars which replace gas powered cars but way way less cars. Car culture is one of the worst thing in the western world.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
so we are still on track for 2035 apocalypses or it could be even earlier?

Sunspot activity (or a huge lack thereof) is signalling us actually hitting a mini ice age around 2020 or so, so that will actually delay things quite a bit. When it ends, though, is going to be a problem.

Drive less, eat less meat, buy eco-friendly products, and have fewer children.

Quoted for posterity. Seriously, simple shit to be doing. I irrationally trust/assume that the large majority of GAF already thinks sustainably, but the vast majority of the general public doesn't realize even the basic stuff here is hugely important.

Especially the "have fewer children" bit. It's a touchy subject to bring up with people, but it's a valid conversation.

Wind and Solar are hitting record lows every year as their installation rates increase. We already have places in the US where wind is cheaper than gas, and solar is cheaper than gas.

Five years time you won't have to be in a unique area to have renewable energy be cheeper than conventional energy. The world is already installing more renewable energy than carbon based, the transition is already happening.

Anyone who says "omg it's tooo laaaaate :(" just needs to stop posting. Seriously. I take this subject as one of the top two in terms of global issues and how I vote in elections, I tend to try and stay up to date as much as possible. Going into every single thread about this subject isn't making me mad because of whatever news I'm reading, it makes me mad because I see a bunch of apathy from people who clearly just want to react all sad and gloomy because it's easy.

Lets read the thread title. Yes, Earth is warming at unprecedented rates, yea no shit, we've been talking about that for the last two decades. Staying within Paris target range of 1.5C is near impossible with current emission rates. Yea, no shit, that was openly talked about during the negotiations. Without more substantive emission cuts, we will fail to stay under 2C. Yes, once again, these were center point of the Paris talks last year that Paris alone will not solve our issues. These are not "dirty little secrets" that the man doesn't want you to know.

We fucking know this, anyone who spends 15 minutes reading up on the most historic global climate deal will understand what Paris was about. It's not the "OMG WE FIXED EVERYTHING WOOO!" deal, it never was. It was the framework to do something that we should have started 20 years ago, a framework to continuously come back to the table and figure out what each country can do to continue their emissions decrease.

Ten years from now the targets we put out will be obsolete because battery tech + renewable + EV's will be so far ahead that any projection from major energy institutions will be horribly out of date and simply wrong (you know, like how they have been for the last 15 years in terms of cost of Wind/Solar and total amount installed). We take these emission trends and bake in China hitting peak coal in 2020, with 2030 being their peek emission (at best), yet we now know they hit peak coal in 2013 and are having historic cutbacks on coal production and usage. We bake in these trends with horribly conservative estimates on renewable energy, even when we have learning rates putting coal into the danger zone of being too expensive than solar in a decade.

Also I swear to god if I see one more person post that study on how agriculture is somehow 50% of global emissions I'm going to break a fucking gasket.

Yes, this is scary stuff when looking at the numerous consequences of our failure to act, but just going around spreading apathy is literally one of the worst things you could do.

also agriculture accounts for around 15-20% of global emissions iirc, so anyone telling you it's somehow magically half of global emissions are quoting a single study that has been peer reviewed to death and heavily criticized in their methodology

That thread, and article was complete bullshit. I couldn't find a single source they quoted backing up their claim. The only thing I saw was a reference to IEA having an emissions scenario of having 3.5C baked in by 2080 or something. No current emission scenerio has the world hitting 3.5C in 20 years.
A+ post

Sunspot activity (or a huge lack thereof) is signalling us actually hitting a mini ice age around 2020 or so, so that will actually delay things quite a bit. When it ends, though, is going to be a problem.

No

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...toward-a-mini-ice-age/?utm_term=.4ff3fb6ec3da

Wind and Solar are hitting record lows every year as their installation rates increase. We already have places in the US where wind is cheaper than gas, and solar is cheaper than gas.

Five years time you won't have to be in a unique area to have renewable energy be cheeper than conventional energy. The world is already installing more renewable energy than carbon based, the transition is already happening.

Anyone who says "omg it's tooo laaaaate :(" just needs to stop posting. Seriously. I take this subject as one of the top two in terms of global issues and how I vote in elections, I tend to try and stay up to date as much as possible. Going into every single thread about this subject isn't making me mad because of whatever news I'm reading, it makes me mad because I see a bunch of apathy from people who clearly just want to react all sad and gloomy because it's easy.

Lets read the thread title. Yes, Earth is warming at unprecedented rates, yea no shit, we've been talking about that for the last two decades. Staying within Paris target range of 1.5C is near impossible with current emission rates. Yea, no shit, that was openly talked about during the negotiations. Without more substantive emission cuts, we will fail to stay under 2C. Yes, once again, these were center point of the Paris talks last year that Paris alone will not solve our issues. These are not "dirty little secrets" that the man doesn't want you to know.

We fucking know this, anyone who spends 15 minutes reading up on the most historic global climate deal will understand what Paris was about. It's not the "OMG WE FIXED EVERYTHING WOOO!" deal, it never was. It was the framework to do something that we should have started 20 years ago, a framework to continuously come back to the table and figure out what each country can do to continue their emissions decrease.

Ten years from now the targets we put out will be obsolete because battery tech + renewable + EV's will be so far ahead that any projection from major energy institutions will be horribly out of date and simply wrong (you know, like how they have been for the last 15 years in terms of cost of Wind/Solar and total amount installed). We take these emission trends and bake in China hitting peak coal in 2020, with 2030 being their peek emission (at best), yet we now know they hit peak coal in 2013 and are having historic cutbacks on coal production and usage. We bake in these trends with horribly conservative estimates on renewable energy, even when we have learning rates putting coal into the danger zone of being too expensive than solar in a decade.

Also I swear to god if I see one more person post that study on how agriculture is somehow 50% of global emissions I'm going to break a fucking gasket.

Yes, this is scary stuff when looking at the numerous consequences of our failure to act, but just going around spreading apathy is literally one of the worst things you could do.

also agriculture accounts for around 15-20% of global emissions iirc, so anyone telling you it's somehow magically half of global emissions are quoting a single study that has been peer reviewed to death and heavily criticized in their methodology

That thread, and article was complete bullshit. I couldn't find a single source they quoted backing up their claim. The only thing I saw was a reference to IEA having an emissions scenario of having 3.5C baked in by 2080 or something. No current emission scenerio has the world hitting 3.5C in 20 years.

Thank you for this post. I do what small amount I can to help, and the dark posts in this thread are not helping my severe anxiety on this topic.

We don't need Ev cars which replace gas powered cars but way way less cars. Car culture is one of the worst thing in the western world.

EV's and self driving cars are going to hit mainstream at the same time.

Every city will have fleets of self driving EV's. Cars spend 90% of their life parked, by virtue of having a 24/7 on demand clean transportation system, the world will have less vehicles on the road.

That "mini-ice age" isn't going to happen. The rate of global warming vs. the rate of natural variability of a solar cycle/orbital variation is like dropping a grain of sand in a bucket.

SRG01

ignoring the fact that the warming in the late 20th century was virtually indistinguishable from the warming in the early 20th century....

the reason for not getting rid of coal and oil and gas

price.

no non fossil fuel generated energy production unit (besides water turbine style in rivers*)
can come CLOSE to the price of oil gas and coal and maintain its reliability of service 24/7
excluding water power- since well the environmentalists would go nuts building more dams to generate more power....

nuclear power is what we should be building....

i am ALL for ditching all coal plants and going nuclear, but for one reason it is not happening

NIMBY and scare tactics by environmentalists.

without lawsuits driving the price up, a nuclear plant can replace a coal plant pretty easily at about the same Kw pricing, however most environmentalist groups are anti nuclear, thus the price per Kw is significantly higher due to RED TAPE....

even though if you hold a fricking geiger counter up near the stack of a nuclear plant. and a coal plant the coal exhaust is slightly more radioactive....

using current technology, the US and the could replace all coal plants with nuclear and reduce emissions significantly not that it would matter one iota...

btw the #1 and #2 producers- by a large margin- are india and china. the US currently emits less plant food (carbon dioxide is bloody plant food, without it, all plant and animal life would DIE) than we did 20 years ago and it is still dropping... US emissions has dropped 10% in 10 years...

NIMBY isn't the reason why energy producers aren't going for nuclear power. It's because the upfront capital investment for nuclear power is several billions of dollars along with rather expensive maintenance costs down the road. Not to mention that nuclear power has a rather large issue with load balancing -- peak vs non-peak hour energy production -- compared to conventional power plants.

The panels themselves are super cheap. It's the inverter, design/consulting, and energy storage costs that are expensive.

In fact, I would personally say inverter costs are the main problem...

Thank you for this post. I do what small amount I can to help, and the dark posts in this thread are not helping my severe anxiety on this topic.

I mean do hurricane threads, no where near where you live, frighten you? Because that's likely all you'll see with the increased change it happens to you. The sky isn't going to fall in a day or even you're lifetime

Bass260

I don't believe it was ever suggested that animal agriculture accounts for 50% of the global emissions - that article is a glimpse into the prolonged effects that the livestock sector has in regards to climate change. Are you annoyed that someone is actually trying to shed light on one of the biggest drivers of climate change; one that many people ignore or forget about.

Animal products are unique in that most of us in our 1st World bubble are 100% in control of our diet and capable of change. It's one of the often ignored areas in which we all can individually change and make a difference.

elyetis

I've encountered many people who seem completely dejected in the face of climate change, and understandably so, but then refuse to change their meat intake for the sake of alleviating the problem. Every little bit helps.
I mean sure... just like using a bucket of water on the titanic would probably slow down it's sinking a little.

EV's and self driving cars are going to hit mainstream at the same time.

Every city will have fleets of self driving EV's. Cars spend 90% of their life parked, by virtue of having a 24/7 on demand clean transportation system, the world will have less vehicles on the road.

That isnt gonna happen for decades.

And producing and moving tons of weight for trivial tasks most of the time is insane.

E-Cat

It was an awesome post, yeah.

I'm not so worried about our technological capabilities as I'm worried about people's general lack of will and/or ignorance.

Luckily, solar, wind and batteries are going crazy right now, people have NO idea what's coming in the next 10-20 years. Eventually, the economics of green energy will win and then everyone will adopt it.

Ramez Naam is an amazing educator in this area, here are a few snippets from his lectures:

The Cost Decline of Solar Power
The Price of Solar Power Will Continue to Fall
The Disruption of the Energy Business

You're right. It's gonna take five years, more like.

Stanng243

Yup it's this general apathy that drives the "representatives" to show nothing but apathy. The people with money don't care because the general population don't care. We can at least become proactive about curbing it at 2C.

But nope... I need my meat, gas powered cars and air conditioning. Can't make any lifestyle changes.

Edit:
Exhibit A:

You've been living off a meat intensive diet all your life. It will take time to adjust. And you can try public transit if it's available (I have a feeling you're in some rural area and counter with "No public transit here"). And if you need to run AC all day, why not get solar? Then you're not burning fossil fuels to power your AC?
I have no interest in adapting to a non meat intensive diet. And no, public transportation is not an option I'd consider. I don't think it is an option at all. I am considering Solaar, but I need to replace the roof first.

It was an awesome post, yeah.

I'm not so worried about our technological capabilities as I'm worried about people's general lack of will and/or ignorance.

Luckily, solar, wind and batteries are going crazy right now, people have NO idea what's coming in the next 10-20 years.

Ramez Naam is an amazing educator in this area, here are a few snippets from his lectures:

The Cost Decline of Solar Power
The Price of Solar Power Will Continue to Fall
The Disruption of the Energy Business

Yeah solar is amazing and is moving way, way faster than anyone thought even 2-3 years ago. It's funny, things are going to/already have get to a point where financial intensives on the part of tech and other companies for solar and renewable are going to be bigger market drives than fossil fuel interests.

And producing and moving tons of weight for trivial tasks most of the time is insane.

Every major car manufacturer is preparing for self driving cars becoming a mainland feature in five to six years.

Uber's end goal is a fleet of self driving EV's. In a city, you don't need an EV to travel more than a hundred miles at a time.

You explain to me how in a decade the technology won't be there for mass self driving fleets of EV's?

What are you even talking about with "producing and moving tons of weight for trivial tasks"?

Bass260

I mean sure... just like using a bucket of water on the titanic would probably slow down it's sinking a little.

Yet if everyone starting using that bucket of water - if everybody committed to a change - we could make a difference. And we still can. I personally will not sit back and watch our species struggle and struggle until the end. Take every chance you can to make a difference.

I don't believe it was ever suggested that animal agriculture accounts for 50% of the global emissions - that article is a glimpse into the prolonged effects that the livestock sector has in regards to climate change. Are you annoyed that someone is actually trying to shed light on one of the biggest drivers of climate change; one that many people ignore or forget about.

Animal products are unique in that most of us in our 1st World bubble are 100% in control of our diet and capable of change. It's one of the often ignored areas in which we all can individually change and make a difference.

There is a common number thrown around a lot when talking about agriculture's hand in emissions, and I'm simply putting the foundation down for people to know that the basis of that claim has largely been discredited.

Saying agriculture is the biggest driver of climate change, is simply, wrong. Now you can say it's going to be the most difficult to diminish, and I agree. However we have 80% of global emissions that can be tackled with renewable energy + battery tech/clean transportation.

AP90

Not that I want to see meat prices sky rocket. How feasible would it be to place a limit on cattle/methane producing life stock within the next few years. Or, put a limit on how much can be be raised (1/3 or 1/4) of the current/rough totals today?

Setting aside the issue of future lawsuits, claims about infringement of freedoms and rights that would result form drastically decreasing the lifestock supply.

Also, I believe methane traps roughly 100 times more heat than Co2 over a set period of time.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/methane-vs-carbon-dioxide-a-greenhouse-gas-showdown/

Either way, Co2 and methane are a problem =/

XOMTOR

Every major car manufacturer is preparing for self driving cars becoming a mainland feature in five to six years.

Uber's end goal is a fleet of self driving EV's. In a city, you don't need an EV to travel more than a hundred miles at a time.

You explain to me how in a decade the technology won't be there for mass self driving fleets of EV's?

What are you even talking about with "producing and moving tons of weight for trivial tasks"?

I don't believe you. Ten years ago I bought my Civic. The day I drove it off the lot, I told the salesman that it would be my last gas powered vehicle. He laughed. It's been 10 freakin' years and if my Civic were to die tomorrow, I still have no viable options for an EV. Yea, call me a skeptic but every year seems like it's gonna be the year of the EV just like it's gonna be the year of the OLED TV. Still waiting.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't believe you. Ten years ago I bought my Civic. The day I drove it off the lot, I told the salesman that it would be my last gas powered vehicle. He laughed. It's been 10 freakin' years and if my Civic were to die tomorrow, I still have no viable options for an EV. Yea, call me a skeptic but every year seems like it's gonna be the year of the EV just like it's gonna be the year of the OLED TV. Still waiting.

Yep, it's a damn shame. Every electric vehicle on the market is way out of the price range of the average american citizen.

I fail to see how you making a bad prediction is indicitive of lithium ion production costs and tech and overall trendlines.

Nobody is saying that 2016 is the year of the EV... Now the 2017 models are a major step in the direction of long range affordable vehicles, but EVs will start to hit true mainstream costs in a decade or so.

zoku88

Yet if everyone starting using that bucket of water - if everybody committed to a change - we could make a difference. And we still can. I personally will not sit back and watch our species struggle and struggle until the end. Take every chance you can to make a difference.
In the end, do you actually want to make a difference or do you just want to feel good about yourself?

Because actually making a difference requires more than wishing other people to do things.

Well in about 1 to 5 years we will have an blue ocean event in the arctic according to scientists and the data. Which means the sea ice of the artic will be melted nearly completly in september. Thats pretty concerning when you think about the methane at the russian seashelf which is only 15 meters deep but holds 1000s of gigatons of methane. And methane is a lot more powerful than co2.

elyetis

Yet if everyone starting using that bucket of water - if everybody committed to a change - we could make a difference. And we still can.
I agree with that, I simply disagree with the idea that, someone alone, will make a difference that way.
I wouldn't complain about change on a national level, I even encourage it at the urns, but I see no point at simply changing my way of life as a single individual while knowing it's effect would be negligible at best.

We must do something about this. Hopefully legislation gets approved soon to stop this.

So what can we the common folk do in the immediate future? Send letters to our representatives? Is that it?

Why the US, EU, Japan, China and India are not putting major investments into getting rid of coal and oil is beyond me at this point. The technology is pretty much there. Use nuclear and renewables, put money behind electric cars, roll out more electric rail for transporting stuff and get serious about this stuff.

Go Vegan. Invest and promote lab grown meat. Alternative energy. Other thongs

Purkake4

Banned
If you think conflict-induced population displacement is bad...

We're going to need arcologies and industrial scale hydroponics stat.

Self-driving cars are going to substantially decrease the amount of cars on the road and in parking lots, it's going to be disruptive in so many ways (most of them good).

Quoted for posterity. Seriously, simple shit to be doing. I irrationally trust/assume that the large majority of GAF already thinks sustainably, but the vast majority of the general public doesn't realize even the basic stuff here is hugely important.

Especially the "have fewer children" bit. It's a touchy subject to bring up with people, but it's a valid conversation.

It is a very touchy subject, I know from experience. My wife and I have a two year old son and she is desperate for a daughter. I've always wanted a daughter as well, but I can't get past the environmental impact another child will have. And I don't want to adopt because of the expense and difficulty involved. She won't budge so I finally relented a few months ago.

Two is it though, I will get snipped as soon as I'm confident that my 2nd is healthy. If she wants another child down the road we'll either adopt (should have more time and money then) or she'll have to leave me and find someone else.

Abounder

Banned
And with low gas prices I just don't see customers paying $35k+ for a EV hatchback specifically in the USofA. Until we see EV pickup trucks that can handle blue collar work they'll just be toys for rich kids.

Ogodei

Why the US, EU, Japan, China and India are not putting major investments into getting rid of coal and oil is beyond me at this point. The technology is pretty much there. Use nuclear and renewables, put money behind electric cars, roll out more electric rail for transporting stuff and get serious about this stuff.

Everyone except India is. China's getting at it more slowly than others, but they also suffer worse from air pollution (though India's rapidly catching up). In India's case it's because a vast amount of the country still needs electrified and coal is the cheapest way to get there for starter-level countries.

Humanity will likely survive but the numbers will be greatly diminished.

If we heat the oceans enough to unlock even a fraction of the methane deposits down there then it is goodbye to everyone.

Check out the permian extinction event, triggered by the Siberian traps mass eruption event that heated the oceans enough to release methane deposits frozen at the bottom of the oceans. Only took a 5 degree increase to cause the methane to release.

Only mass extinction event known to have affected insects it was so serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom