• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA’s Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite telescope discovers potentially habitable planet 31 light-years away

Pimpbaa

I can't wait to get swole on that planet.

All DBZ jokes aside, this planet would probably not be livable for humans due to the gravitational force. 4.5 times Earth gravity is probably the limit for a human body. That 4.5g limit is only doable for a small number of top strongman athletes that can walk with a ridiculous number of weight on top of them. At 5g an athlete at that elite level wouldn't be able to stand up. 3 to 4g would be possible for "normal" humans if given the proper training.

For those interested in this information, oddly enough our skeletal structure is completely fine with the stress of high gravity. In fact the human skeleton is theorized to be able to handle more than 90 times Earth gravity. There's a catch with that figure. That's only if someone was simply standing. As soon as the body has to move, the stress on the bones would be increased by a factor of 10! Theoretically if a human had the inhuman muscles required for that gravity, a human could potentially run at 9g without straight up breaking. At 10g (remember 90g was the limit but you have to add the factor of 10 due to stress from skeletal movement) the athlete's bones would start to crack.

This is a research paper on this topic.

Plus after a while your balls would be dragging on the ground.

iconmaster

Banned
The fastest spacecraft travel about 150,000 miles per hour. At that speed, 31 light years would take (feel free to check my math)...

1,214,915,933 years.

Sorry, that was hours. 138,689 years. Thanks greyshark greyshark

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Interesting but ultimately pointless as we can't get there.

The thing all those einsteins should do is develop ways to travel faster and better through space.

Tesseract

Banned
I said "pollute"...
Layers upon layers. 99% of freemasons do not.
1% do (eg Google).
Freemasons, skull and bones, knights of malta.
Interconnected.

they're all losers, basically dress up like wizards and jerk off on each other with ancestral symbols

Last edited:

greyshark

The fastest spacecraft travel about 150,000 miles per hour. At that speed, 31 light years would take (feel free to check my math)...

1,214,915,933 years.

I think your math is wrong - that’s the correct value in hours. It would be more like 138,000 years to travel that distance at the speed you posted.

Top Bottom