• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Narcos: Mexico' Renewed for Season 2 on Netflix

dorkimoe

The second season of the Mexico drug-cartel drama will be season five of the 'Narcos' franchise overall.
Narcos still has more of an empire to build in Mexico.
Narcos: Mexico is returning for a second season, marking the fifth season overall for Netflix's drug-cartel drama. The streamer announced the news Wednesday, less than three weeks after Narcos: Mexico made its debut (Nov. 16). There's no word yet on a return date.
The renewal news comes as little surprise, given how the first season of Narcos: Mexico ended and showrunner Eric Newman's overall multiyear series deal with Netflix. Though the streamer doesn't release viewership figures for any of its offerings, Narcosis a top global performer among its original series. The commitment to continue the Narcos story also comes as both House of Cards and Orange Is the New Black, two series that helped launch Netflix into the scripted originals space, are wrapping their runs (the final season of OITNB comes in 2019; House of Cards bowed its final season in November).
"I will do this as long as they’ll let me do it," Newman had told The Hollywood Reporter ahead of the renewal news, about there being more than enough real-life story material to do more Narcos seasons. "Narcos is the greatest and most satisfying professional endeavor of my life, and to write and creatively steer this show for now four seasons, it would be unique even if I hadn’t been a movie producer for the first 20 years of my career. It’s a strange transition, but man, I love it."
It's unclear whether Diego Luna, who also will be starring in the Star Wars prequel series for Disney's forthcoming streaming service, will return for the second season of Narcos: Mexico. The season finale suggested Luna's character would play a big part if the series continued. When speaking to THR ahead of the launch, the actor said he wanted to see the reaction to the season before discussing the possibility of returning: "One step at a time," he said. "Right now, the only thing I hope is that the story we told gets seen by people and opens up a debate."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/narcos-mexico-renewed-netflix-1160463

Just finished season 1 of this. I didn’t enjoy it as much as the first 3 seasons, but the quality is still top notch.

mekes

Agreed, quality was still great but the overall story wasn’t quite as compelling. I’m happy it’s getting the go ahead for season 2 as Netflix is pretty much a Narcos and Black Mirror delivery service to me.

Javthusiast

Banned
I also think the first three seasons were better, but nonetheless I enjoyed the first season of Narcos Mexico too.

And I gotta say what little we got from the new character introduced in the last scene makes me already more excited for season 2, cause he has much more charisma than Michael Peña had in this show.

Still hope we catch up to the timeline where maybe Pascals character goes to mexico after the Juarez cartel.

Eila

Was somewhat aware of what went on during the setting of the first season, but I must admit I don't know how Miguel Felix story ends. I think I saw the scene in El Chapo (not a great series, btw) but that series goes way too into conspiracy theories over a somewhat more grounded Narcos.
I'm so hooked into this series since the second season. of Narcos.

120v

Still hope we catch up to the timeline where maybe Pascals character goes to mexico after the Juarez cartel.

i was hoping that too but since the series hews to historicity i'm wondering if there's a "story" there. afaik the agent's claim to fame was escobar/cali, dunno if he had any more "adventures" after that

Javthusiast

Banned
i was hoping that too but since the series hews to historicity i'm wondering if there's a "story" there. afaik the agent's claim to fame was escobar/cali, dunno if he had any more "adventures" after that

Oh right, I hadn't considered the real life events. Well, Scoot seems like a nice addition going forwards.^^

DarkestHour

Banned
I also think the first three seasons were better, but nonetheless I enjoyed the first season of Narcos Mexico too.

And I gotta say what little we got from the new character introduced in the last scene makes me already more excited for season 2, cause he has much more charisma than Michael Peña had in this show.

If a show has Scoot McNairy I'm all in.

Top Bottom