• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naoki Yoshida wants the next Final Fantasy to be more Fantasy, have less machines and no mecha

Iconoclasm

Neo Member
As far as I think the futuristic and the machines aren't the main problem of the recent FF, I would say that a more classic FF would benefit the series. But not only a classic medieval fantasy.. They need new ideas about design, variety of environment and color choices but always remaining on the fantasy context.

The Snake

Has anyone who worked on the games actually said this? I always thought the futuristic elements were just cribbed from the Wizardy series and Heavy Metal magazines.

Matter of personal taste I'd say. Sakaguchi grew up playing D&D and old PC RPGs. Nomura grew up with shit like Akira and Bubblegum Crisis.

Best way to fix the FF series:

- Get back to focusing on well crafted (personal) stories - world build around that over the course of the game.... Yes... In the actual game, not across extrinsic media
- There's nothing interesting about Moogle's and Chocobos. Stop fetishising them and put them back in their place, i.e. recurring themes that have functional value as part of the game world but not as part of the narrative
- Sack all your current writers and hire the best anime/manga writers you can find (see Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia, Hunter x Hunter, World Trigger etc)
- Reverse this obsession with photo-realism - If it's all about fantasy then make it fantastic (visually too)
- Go back to JRPG roots - bring back world maps w/ chibi characters (WoFF style) - Sack off all the expensive production value set pieces and focus on gameplay - innovate their
- Large diverse and interesting worlds (in the style detailed above) - Deepen the lore through play (side quests), let me traverse freely and reward me for that (lots of hidden dungeons, chests, bosses, allies, skills to find when venturing ooff the beaten track)
- Balance the game to flow with the narrative (a la FFVII) - peon-tier power level at start, with big jumps in stats aligned with character ascension/evolution through plot progression - end-game characters should be God-tier
- Bring back interesting limit breaks & summons - keep it simple a la the old games
- (Controversial) Go back to turn-based combat - innovate their
- Balance tone against frame of the narrative (a la FFVII) - comic relief is fine in the right place, non-pervasive and where appropriate in the context of unfolding events
- Innovate on MC profile - angsty teenage androgynous = out, maybe try a charismatic, brash, confident & fiery middle-aged lady-killer adonis
- If you're trying for romance, actually do it properly (see Sword Art Online)
- Traditional Fantasy or Sci-fi - it doesn't even matter. Just do what you're doing well and make it consistent and coherent (and interesting!)
- Bring back the very very simple but addictive mini-games
- Hire some fucking delivery managers and actively manage feature/scope-creep - pick a schedule (e.g. 5yr delivery timeline) and stick to it

This would represent a God-tier modern FF game

Last edited:

Mamba

Neo Member
Best way to fix the FF series:

- Get back to focusing on well crafted (personal) stories - world build around that over the course of the game.... Yes... In the actual game, not across extrinsic media
- There's nothing interesting about Moogle's and Chocobos. Stop fetishising them and put them back in their place, i.e. recurring themes that have functional value as part of the game world but not as part of the narrative
- Sack all your current writers and hire the best anime/manga writers you can find (see Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia, Hunter x Hunter, World Trigger etc)
- Reverse this obsession with photo-realism - If it's all about fantasy then make it fantastic (visually too)
- Go back to JRPG roots - bring back world maps w/ chibi characters (WoFF style) - Sack off all the expensive production value set pieces and focus on gameplay - innovate their
- Large diverse and interesting worlds (in the style detailed above) - Deepen the lore through play (side quests), let me traverse freely and reward me for that (lots of hidden dungeons, chests, bosses, allies, skills to find when venturing ooff the beaten track)
- Balance the game to flow with the narrative (a la FFVII) - peon-tier power level at start, with big jumps in stats aligned with character ascension/evolution through plot progression - end-game characters should be God-tier
- Bring back interesting limit breaks & summons - keep it simple a la the old games
- (Controversial) Go back to turn-based combat - innovate their
- Balance tone against frame of the narrative (a la FFVII) - comic relief is fine in the right place, non-pervasive and where appropriate in the context of unfolding events
- Innovate on MC profile - angsty teenage androgynous = out, maybe try a charismatic, brash, confident & fiery middle-aged lady-killer adonis
- If you're trying for romance, actually do it properly (see Sword Art Online)
- Traditional Fantasy or Sci-fi - it doesn't even matter. Just do what you're doing well and make it consistent and coherent (and interesting!)
- Bring back the very very simple but addictive mini-games
- Hire some fucking delivery managers and actively manage feature/scope-creep - pick a schedule (e.g. 5yr delivery timeline) and stick to it

This would represent a God-tier modern FF game

This right here is the problem...you're making too much sense and valid points!! This is the stuff that I don't think these guys are willing to adapt to, Anime now has become the place for a lot of great stories that only compound on themselves. While I say this if any game dev does hire a manga/anime writer, PLEASE DO NOT HIRE KUBO TITE!!!

Zog

Banned
This right here is the problem...you're making too much sense and valid points!! This is the stuff that I don't think these guys are willing to adapt to, Anime now has become the place for a lot of great stories that only compound on themselves. While I say this if any game dev does hire a manga/anime writer, PLEASE DO NOT HIRE KUBO TITE!!!
We don't need Final Fantasy to look like a Tales game.

royox

The next FF should be like FFXIV. A phantasy medieval world with that cool steampunk touch called Magitek.

14 does it almost to perfection and lorewise it makes sense that the only race that can't use Magik developed Magitek to be able to defend themselves against the others.

Also Fighting Alexander while inside of Alexander was so damn epic.

Top Bottom