• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name the first (in today's standards) 'expansion pack' / 'DLC' you played/bought in the 80s/90s

Nickolaidas

Banned
Nowadays we get DLC and expansion packs like there's no tomorrow and we think of the good ol' days. However, technically we would get expansion packs and DLC in the old days as well, except that they were more or less sold like pseudo-sequels or flat out new games.

So. What was the first time you bought a 'dlc' / 'expansion pack' masquerading as a 'brand new game' and got the impression it really wasn't a new game but a rush job sold as a brand new product? Note that the content doesn't have to be bad, but it had to give you the impression you weren't playing a new game, but the same game with minimal additions or changes. Also, it has to be in an age where actual DLC wasn't a thing yet. Which means it has to be before the Oblivion Horse Armor. Also, it has to be something you bought, played, or simply saw at a friend's house. Not something you recently googled.

Here are the first games I can think of when I was a kid, or in my pre-teen years.

Expansion Packs:
nL5ajxR.jpg

60jSijM.jpg

DLC:

48vjPgX.jpg

nkarafo

b1141dede7ce1c01737dbbec6b660fde.png

Sonic 3 & Knuckles was literally what we hate about DLC. A single game broken at parts that are sold separately. This one was sold as two different games (at the price of two games of course).

They even tried to pass the whole thing as a feature along with the above superb looking logo. And we liked it.

The game was awesome nontheless.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I loved It Came From the Desert, but never heard of this expansion that's a shame.

I'm sure i bought some expansions in the 90s but can't remember except for Ruins of Kurnark for Everquest.
Yes this one exactly
r4x2gn8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't consider the Street Fighter games to be a expansion pack or DLC because they run without the original/s.

Off the top of my head I got a DLC for Unreal,Quake 2 and a couple for Half-Life that were pretty good.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Edit: Thanks to the posters jogging my memory below, yep, totally got the NFS special edition back in the day. Also Mechwarrior 2 Mercs. I thought that was a separate game though? All good shit though :)

Last edited:

intbal

First expansion pack* I ever played was Hillsfar. Experimental and interesting gameplay. Fun, but not entirely successful at what it was trying to do.

f4lOmqU.jpg

First I ever bought for myself was Eagle Watch for Rainbow Six. Twenty bucks for five new missions.
And it was absolutely awesome.

o5gEIqG.jpg

*I realize Hillsfar was a standalone product, but since it directly followed the events of Pool of Radiance and you could import your PoR character into the game (and it was budget-priced), I consider it an expansion.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I loved It Came From the Desert, but never heard of this expansion that's a shame.

I'm sure i bought some expansions in the 90s but can't remember except for Ruins of Kurnark for Everquest.
Yes this one exactly
r4x2gn8.jpg

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Pantz

Gold Member
First piece of DLC I think I got was with Total Annihilation. They added some new units on their website and you just right click and save as for free to get them.

Then there's this guy
shZguVb.jpg

But really, I think for me it was

jCKTAxW.jpg

Tams

Gold Member
As a bundle/combo (and first for me): Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome in the Age of Empires: Gold Edition bundle.

As an expansion on it's own: Age of Empires II: The Conquerors.

SCB3

I wanna say Super Mario All Stars, but I feel Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo is more in line with the question

Top Bottom