• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N7 Day: The original cast of Mass Effect reunited for a "very special" panel

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
bloom.jpg

Every year since 2012, BioWare celebrates the Mass Effect saga on November 7, a date that can be shortened to N7, in reference to the highest rank of special forces in the game world.
This year, the event is expected at turning point, since many rumors indicate that we could see the officialization of Mass Effect: Legendary Edition.

The title, which would bring together the first three opus of the license, is talked about regularly, to the point of having been listed in South Korea.
BioWare has never communicated on this, but Jennifer Hale, an actress and voice actor playing the female version of Commander Shepard has indicated that the voices of the main characters will be reunited on November 7 at 8 p.m. for a "very special" panel. .

unknown.png

Fans of the original voice cast will be able to reunite with Jennifer Hale, Mark Meer (Commander Shepard), Steven Blum (Grunt), Kimberly Brooks (Ashley Williams), Raphael Sbarge (Kaidan Alenko), Courtenay Taylor (Jack), Alix Wilton Regan (Samantha Traynor), William Salyers (Mordin Solus), DC Douglas (Legion), and Ali Hillis (Liara T'Soni), alongside Patrick and Karen Weekes, writers.​

Zannegan

I'd rather they rework ME1's shooting mechanics to be more like ME2 and ME3, for me it's the weakest part of the trilogy. ME3 has DLC which expanded the ending.
And here I sit, hoping they'll ignore 2 and 3 entirely and reboot the series picking up after 1. What a waste of story potential the sequels were.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to an update to 1's shooting mechanics. Just don't mess with my beloved Mako.

Different strokes I guess.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm picturing a Mafia situation. ME1 gets the full remake treatment it badly needs, 2 and 3 just get remastered. Frankly, they really don't need remaking, they play just fine. Only 1 feels outdated, and it's a shame, because it's the best story-wise.

Madflavor

Cool. Looking forward to relieving the memories of sinking my heart, soul, time, thought, and money into Mass Effect, just to get dry fucked by how disappointing ME3 was.

This remaster is gonna have to be pretty goddamn substantial for me to even consider getting it. But even then I might not play it. It took me awhile to get over that ending, I don't think I need to revisit that horseshit.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I was more miffed by the lack of actual pay off for in ME3 for what took place in ME1. The Racni queen was essentially nothing, and all these hooks from the first game just didn't have the payoff that I thought they would. Save the Racni queen, Now here is an email.

The ending is some esoteric goblety-goop trying to say something, and never really saying anything. I did like the use of Buzz Aldrin in the very last scene. That was a nice touch.

Please include all DLC and the multiplayer. I want to sink another 100 hours into co-op, I loved it so much. It had no right being as amazing as it was, and I was so against it when it was initially announced.

Andodalf

Banned
Please include all DLC and the multiplayer. I want to sink another 100 hours into co-op, I loved it so much. It had no right being as amazing as it was, and I was so against it when it was initially announced.

DLC yes, but there is no way we get the MP, which is a shame. I miss the weird MP that games like this, AC, and Batman had.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The ending for 3 wasn't as bad as people say it is. It wasn't even bad.

It was garbage. You walked down one of three literal branching paths and got the same result with a different colour filter. The story in a primarily single player story-driven RPG was affected by a score from the multiplayer mode and a mobile game tie-in. Paragon/renegade was meaningless. Your choices through the first two games were meaningless.

Horrible. So bad that they went back and "fixed" it later.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I have yet to see any suggested ending that isn't fanfiq quality, or would require 1000000 development cycles to accomplish.
How about we lose? Hard cut no chance of winning. We launch a few gigantic ships in space to try and save us and the next trilogy is about finding the why they are are doing what they are doing... No star child and new trilogy too

Andodalf

Banned
How about we lose? Hard cut no chance of winning. We launch a few gigantic ships in space to try and save us and the next trilogy is about finding the why they are are doing what they are doing... No star child and new trilogy too

People would hate that. Now none of your choices had any impact at all. At least the Final game had a minor amount of distinction. And what you describe is basically just the ending added in by DLC.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Man, I'd so like to Plat ME1 again, even if it's just a simple Remaster. Bring it. One of the best games ever made.

Don't bother.

Me1 was perfect
ME2 was pointless
ME3 was piss-poor.

If they're going to re-master or whatever, make it one huge saga and don't split it in to chunks. Cut the collector shit out unless you're going to tie them in to the third act, don't shit the bed writing wise by killing shepherd only to bring him back again and scrub the ending from ME3 and roll straight in to the DLC ending.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
People would hate that. Now none of your choices had any impact at all. At least the Final game had a minor amount of distinction. And what you describe is basically just the ending added in by DLC.
Fair point... Ok let's roll up our sleeves and make a better ending!

TheContact

The only reason I haven't done a replay recently is because I'm waiting for the remaster. 1 was the best but had a lot of flaws, notably the repetitive mako missions and the combat. ME2 got this right, but dumbed down too many of the RPG elements. 3 upped the RPG elements from 2 (if i remember correctly) but failed in virtually every other area

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Nah, I say just give up and admit that such a massive franchise was always going to have a downer ending, because it was really always about the journey.
That's possible too.

What about this, let's go with the continued loss scenario. The choices we made change what ships and races escape the reapers. Maybe a safe place is created? A safe relay or something? Then these changes carry over to the next game?

Kinda just kicking the can down the road though, not an actual ending...

It is my view that the indoctrination theory, if true (which I don't think it is) would have been one of THE greatest moments in videogame storytelling history. In effect, it would have meant that the player would have been indoctrinated, if they chose the 'good' ending.

linkroi

If this announcement is only a "poor remastered" i would be sad... i hope it will be a little bit more than that, i know the Bioware today isn't the Bioware of 2007 (and EA is a greedy mothefucker) but... Mass Effect need a good treatment, it could be great to replay the trilogy with a real polish work behind it.

Top Bottom