• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 Gaf, what is a good 3rd party n64 controller?

So yeah, i've tried 2 3rd party controllers, one of them was the retro bit controller which seemed fine, except it was super tight in the controller port and I was worried about pulling the port out of the socket/scuffing so I returned it. The other was new old stock, a pelican, and was horrific lol. I only have one original pikachu N64 controller that is still good but the stick isn't the tightest (I mean it is 16 years old :messenger_grinning_sweat:) but it's still not too bad.

What have you guys found that is a good alternative to the official controllers? Or should I just suck it up and hunt down some lightly used originals?

suck it up get the OG in a good shape
or get the even more expensive hori one..

do NOT get anything else.. all other sticks SUCK they are not the same esp in games like SM64
The hori I would be willing to try but the price kills me even for a used one.

Yeah I’ll probably just stop being lazy and hunt down some extra og lol

I just thought I would ask in case I’m overlooking a decent 3rd party

Retro Fighters controllers are pretty decent. Though if you're sensitive or overly aware to how the original stick is it might not be for you. For general use I've had no issue with the Retro Fighter.

Retro Fighters controllers are pretty decent. Though if you're sensitive or overly aware to how the original stick is it might not be for you. For general use I've had no issue with the Retro Fighter.
I read that it also is very tight in the port and it scuffed some users ports, but if it weren’t for that I would try it for games that don’t need too much stick precision or for a second player

I read that it also is very tight in the port and it scuffed some users ports, but if it weren’t for that I would try it for games that don’t need too much stick precision or for a second player
I can't say for everyone but I haven't had any issues with these in my consoles ports. I have 3 of there controllers and all 3 seem to be fine. Maybe my ports are stretched out from so much use.

nkarafo

Just get an original controller in a good shape.

The "trident" shape allows you to hold it from the left side (D-pad + Analog stick) so you can play FPS games with pretty much the same control scheme as modern dual analog. The N64 controller is the only single stick controller where you can do that because you can have the analog stick (for aim/turn) under your right thumb.

And all N64 FPS games have control options to allow it.

If you get a controller that doesn't have the same shape, FPS games will not be fun.

Last edited:
Just get an original controller in a good shape.

The "trident" shape allows you to hold it from the left side (D-pad + Analog stick) so you can play FPS games with pretty much the same controls as modern dual analog. All FPS games have control options to allow that.

If you get a controller that doesn't have the same shape, FPS games will not be fun.
True about the shape, but I use the c buttons to strafe + the stick in quake 2 for example, that way I’m close to A/B still. I tend to rarely use the d-pad

nkarafo

True about the shape, but I use the c buttons to strafe + the stick in quake 2 for example, that way I’m close to A/B still. I tend to rarely use the d-pad
Yes, you can do it this way too but this is basically the inverted version of modern FPS games. By using the method i suggested, you won't have to re-wire your brain every time you change from a N64 fps game to a modern one.

Unless you also strafe in modern games with your right thumb.

Yes, you can do it this way too but this is basically the inverted version of modern FPS games. By using the method i suggested, you won't have to re-wire your brain every time you change from a N64 fps game to a modern one.

Unless you also strafe in modern games with your right thumb.
I don't have that problem, I play goldeneye the same way and i'm so used to it. I pick up a modern FPS and it's instantly familiar same as always lol

It's amazing how many control variations there are on 64 though

sainraja

So yeah, i've tried 2 3rd party controllers, one of them was the retro bit controller which seemed fine, except it was super tight in the controller port and I was worried about pulling the port out of the socket/scuffing so I returned it. The other was new old stock, a pelican, and was horrific lol. I only have one original pikachu N64 controller that is still good but the stick isn't the tightest (I mean it is 16 years old :messenger_grinning_sweat:) but it's still not too bad.

What have you guys found that is a good alternative to the official controllers? Or should I just suck it up and hunt down some lightly used originals?
Look at 8bitdo's website. They might have something for you. I think, I could be wrong here, but I think they have an adapter for N64 with their controllers .

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I use the Retro-Bit USB version on my laptop. Works great. Play on PC in glorious upscaled HD. That or replace the thumbsticks on your original controller. IIRC there were some OG-style thumbsticks on Kickstarter. ENKKO - Repairing the N64 Controller by Andy — Kickstarter There's Steelsticks, but they are overpriced.

dcx4610

I'd say just get used to the regular controller but if you can't, the Retro Fighters controller is a good modern replacement. It was mainly made for fighting games but it works for everything and honestly, I wish it was the design the N64 would have went with.

51h40UG1yuL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Top Bottom