• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rukun

Neo Member
Is there anyone that didn't like the first episode that liked the later ones?

Trying to gauge how excited I should be for Friday. I didn't hate it, but was sort of disappointed with the writing and joke pacing.

opoth

Banned

Trying to gauge how excited I should be for Friday. I didn't hate it, but was sort of disappointed with the writing and joke pacing.

I enjoyed the premiere, episode 2 was a step up from it and it sounds like there's some episodes that are even better, but it's all opinions after all. Going to watch 1103 after Survivor.

Blader

I watched the first episode today. Solid stuff. I agree with some of the pacing criticisms, but I think there were instances where they did give the jokes some space. Hopefully they'll find their groove with it soon. Some good riffs in there nonetheless. The only complaints I have are with carrying over some of the old Joel era-isms that I was never a fan of and expected they'd find their way back ("next Sunday A.D.", Gizmonic, etc.).

I'll save the rest for when it's on Netflix.

opoth

Banned
The only complaints I have are with carrying over some of the old Joel era-isms that I was never a fan of and expected they'd find their way back ("next Sunday A.D.", Gizmonic, etc.)

This is like saying "I love Star wars but I don't like Death Stars, Darth Vader or stormtroopers"

Just finished 1103.

I can't believe they actually pulled this off. MST3K has been my favorite show for 20+ years and thought for sure it wouldn't even come close to what it was. I'm genuinely so proud of them.

I thought the first episode was pretty good but it has been getting better and better as the season goes on. Hold onto your hope for it will be rewarded!

Just finished 1103.

I can't believe they actually pulled this off. MST3K has been my favorite show for 20+ years and thought for sure it wouldn't even come close to what it was. I'm genuinely so proud of them.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Demy

Guys, this entire thing is news to me. Looks like Joel has put in a lot of work to get everyone excited and get the vibe just right. Can't wait!

mclem

Has Netflix ever removed an original program? If not, I should be good.

I honestly don't know how their Netflix deal works, but yeah, afaik they don't remove originals. But like I said, I don't want you to do anything you're not 100% comfortable with.

That's an interesting question, actually; while Netflix may not remove originals, this is a situation where there's a second licensing issue independently of the programme itself. Given the nature of the films in question, I would imagine that Netflix/Shout would be in a position to sign a license to distribute them in perpetuity, but it's not inconcievable that that's not the case.

Bluth54

That's an interesting question, actually; while Netflix may not remove originals, this is a situation where there's a second licensing issue independently of the programme itself. Given the nature of the films in question, I would imagine that Netflix/Shout would be in a position to sign a license to distribute them in perpetuity, but it's not inconcievable that that's not the case.

I imagine that after the situation with the MST3K DVDs that any movies they license for the new seasons are in perpetuity for any and all formats even if it's going to cost them more than just a temporary license.

Yeah, I'm three episodes in, and while it took me about half of Reptilicus to get into the new swing of things, the second and third episodes really worked for me. Reptilicus was missing some of the more character oriented humour (revolving around the bots being, you know, bots) and didn't seem to have many running jokes throughout the film. I'm very glad that that's in place.

Can't quite believe there's eleven more after these three.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
One thing I really liked about the third episode:

Tom really used his flying ability to great comedic effect in that one especially when he was pretending to do heavy lifting. I thought that would get annoying earlier in the series, but I see how it can be used effectively.

Is there going to be an official thread for the new season? Think that could be smart to help spread the word and give us a fresh place to discuss the new episodes...

Is there going to be an official thread for the new season? Think that could be smart to help spread the word and give us a fresh place to discuss the new episodes...
I was thinking of starting a spoiler thread for it. Do we call it a spoiler thread or do we call it a viewing thread? I don't know...

mclem

I was thinking of starting a spoiler thread for it. Do we call it a spoiler thread or do we call it a viewing thread? I don't know...

It's rare to have a spoiler thread in isolation, it's usually accompanied by a viewing thread. And if we assume we have both threads... where exactly do we put the distinction between content for one and for the other?

But then, due to the boxset release - and the fact that MST3k isn't exactly built around sequential viewing - we're going to have people burning through and others pacing themselves - and we may get people picking the episodes that sound most interesting first - so it's not going to lend itself naturally to a normal viewing thread. But also, it's going to be variable what episode any spoiler relates to, so we'd need both *clear* indications of the experiments in question, and we'd need a policy that doesn't just result in the whole thread drowning in spoiler bars.

What I think would work is:

* Have a single OT
* Invite discussion of any episode at any time, but insist any spoiler is labelled with the episode number
* Set up a timeline where a few episodes move out of spoiler territory every week or so (I'd loosely suggest 2/3 a week, or maybe one on Friday, one on Monday, something like that), so the main thrust of discussion can be out-of-spoiler bars. It'd perhaps be easier to have one episode released at a time, simply by virtue of the fact that that way, spoilerphobes can use the date of posts to know when to check out of the thread!

Trouble is, that's all a bit heavyhanded, and possibly a level of complexity of rules that would get in the way of free discussion. Maybe it's okay, I'm not sure. It might be a case of 'try it and see'!

(As a point of reference: Stranger Things appears to have had a "Spoiler everything for the first two weeks" policy, as did Luke Cage and Jessica Jones... and Man in the High Castle... maybe that's a better plan?)

I'd say the fundamental goal is that we want a thread that people can feel they can participate in safely while not having seen the whole series.

Anyone want to do the new OT? I'd be happy to do it but I'm not super skilled in prettying things up (don't let my RedLetterMedia thread fool you, I have no Photoshop skills and stole so much of it lol).

Now that they're not just streamable at VHX but downloadable, it's nice that subtitle files are available for each episode. Should make double-checking things easy. Though even with a quick browse I noticed the occasional oddity like Forester's instead of Forresters.

You could have told me you were going to do it anyway...

Dick move!
Sorry, bro. :( I didn't mean to be a dick, but you said the same thing I said so I figured I would carry the weight!

Let me know how I can improve the OT and, with our powers combined, we can make it mildly visually acceptable!

Sanjuro

Sorry, bro. :( I didn't mean to be a dick, but you said the same thing I said so I figured I would carry the weight!

Let me know how I can improve the OT and, with our powers combined, we can make it mildly visually acceptable!

No problem, just time consuming. Mostly all stuff that hits the same notes.

B.K.

I just got an email that the next round of physical rewards just shipped out.

1 × MST3K Stickers: $0.00 ea.
1 × The Official MST3K Coffee Mug: $0.00 ea.
1 × The Official MST3K Poster: $0.00 ea.
1 × The Official MST3K Keychain: $0.00 ea.

Tom_Cody

I just watched Star Crash. Wow, perfect movie for MST3K. This has been a great season.

I just got an email that the next round of physical rewards just shipped out.

1 × MST3K Stickers: $0.00 ea.
1 × The Official MST3K Coffee Mug: $0.00 ea.
1 × The Official MST3K Poster: $0.00 ea.
1 × The Official MST3K Keychain: $0.00 ea.
Same

SeanC

Got my backer goodies today.

Keychain is so nice I don't even want to use it.

Mug is well made, heavy enough, not so much a mug as it is a planter, though, as it lacks a handle.

Poster is great, wish I had some spare walls, though. Good quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom