• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisty

Watched the first 15 minutes of the new episode, gonna wait for the full drop on Netflix to start. Host segments seem OK and I'm lukewarm on the new blood, but I am fully prepared to give them time to grow. It'll all really come down to the film selection, here's hoping they really found some trash

zigg

Halfway through my rewatch. I'm less bothered by the riffs landing too early, or maybe there are fewer of them than I thought. It seems to be mostly Crow.

Episode holds up pretty well to a rewatch, host segments included. This is gonna be a good season. 👍🏻

Kinda off topic but I was excited to hear Joel mention that Shout Factory is working on getting a Cinematic Titanic collection out. I've lost my digital copies of those releases and found out the hard way that tracking down any of them on physical release is near impossible. Would love to have an official set to buy

zigg

Kinda off topic but I was excited to hear Joel mention that Shout Factory is working on getting a Cinematic Titanic collection out. I've lost my digital copies of those releases and found out the hard way that tracking down any of them on physical release is near impossible. Would love to have an official set to buy
Oh yeah, I was pleased to hear that too. I missed the entire CT era.

Fisty

Halfway through my rewatch. I'm less bothered by the riffs landing too early, or maybe there are fewer of them than I thought. It seems to be mostly Crow.

Episode holds up pretty well to a rewatch, host segments included. This is gonna be a good season. 👍🏻

I did notice there was quite a bit of empty riff real estate in there. It must be tough trying to strike a balance and they don't want it to be rapid-fire in the first episode. The release of the first two KTMA episodes helped a bit to remind folks how quiet the crew was when they started lol

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Ooh. I was lucky enough to grab the downloads off that weird site they were using and finished the rest of them from the DVDs. I hope they can release the last few riffs they were touring with, too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Backer email.

I didn't know backers were going to get early access to all the episodes.

I have tomorrow off, and know what I'll be doing.

opoth

Banned
Backer email.

I didn't know backers were going to get early access to all the episodes.

I have tomorrow off, and know what I'll be doing.

Yep, we found out about that alongside the date of the premiere. I'm surprised how many people overlooked that, I guess all eyes were on the first episode details.

Important request for backers, in case you missed it:

Ivan Askwith said:
Third: If you want a Season 12… please, please, please don't share the new episodes online!

Remember what Joel said: our chances of getting another season on Netflix go way down if these episodes are leaked before people can watch them on Netflix, which means that even a few backers choosing to leak the episodes online could hurt everyone's chances of getting more new episodes in the future.

So, just a friendly reminder: please do yourself and your fellow backers a solid, and don't share the new episodes with anyone. They'll be able to see them on Netflix in just a few more days, and until then, we want to make sure our backers are the first people who get to see them.

Fourth: Please don't share details and screenshots from the new season with the public before Friday!

One last favor to ask: While we would never ask you to contain your enthusiasm about the new episodes, we do need to ask for your help, because until the new season debuts on Netflix this Friday at 12:01am PT, we're trying to do our best to prevent spoilers and leaks.

So, if you want to start discussing the new episodes with your fellow backers, go for it -- but please don't share the titles of the new movies, or details about the episodes, or screenshots from the episodes, with the general public before the show is released on Netflix. It's just 72 more hours. We can totally make it that long, right?

And if you do want to discuss the episodes with your fellow backers before then, in private discussion groups like the MST3K Revival League or Deep 13 House of MST3K, that's great! Please just be considerate of your fellow backers who might not be as far into the new season, and be sure to keep spoilers in designated areas and clearly marked!

NeoGAF is a forum visible to the public, so let's do what we can to respect the crew's wishes and make the chances for Season 12 as high as possible. No spoiler talk 'til Friday, please?

I really wish they weren't making them available before the Netflix premiere, I honestly don't trust that they won't be leaked/shared by someone. To have that potentially tied to getting another season is a bit worrying.

After the ticket thing, it should be apparent there is a small percentage of people that won't respect Joel's request.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was hoping to be surprised for the movies, but the title cards are the episode thumbnails...

I really wish they weren't making them available before the Netflix premiere, I honestly don't trust that they won't be leaked/shared by someone. To have that potentially tied to getting another season is a bit worrying.

After the ticket thing, it should be apparent there is a small percentage of people that won't respect Joel's request.

I can't imagine they think for a second it won't leak. It's the Internet.

I think it's more them making sure Netflix knows they did everything they could.

Without mentioning a title, I noticed at least one interesting issue of rights lost and gained. One of the movies was a RiffTrax release last year, but is no longer found on their site.

mclem

For what it's worth, even if you're not a kickstarter pledger, you can still look at the contents of Experiment 085 on vhx.tv if you want to know what's in store. Mildly disappointed they didn't list them all just as Experiment 11xx, at least for now!

As you'd expect, everything is couched in "PLEASE DON'T SHARE ANY INFO" terms, so I'll go no further than that.

Is it time to discuss forum spoiler terms? As I mentioned upthread, I don't really know usual GAF policy for boxset releases, and I'm not sure such a setup is quite appropriate for MST3k, anyway.

zigg said:
I hope Netflix remembers this when the number-crunchers are looking at the watch counts to decide whether or not to renew.
I am curious how much Netflix is putting up for this season, and how much they'd expect to for a second season--considering the backers already covered millions in production costs for the first season.
That long ago? Explains why Felicia's pregnancy wasn't an issue I guess.
In the video Q&A she said something like she was 6 months pregnant at the time.
ElectricBlanketFire said:
EDIT: I'm mistaken. They wrapped production 2 months before she passed away.
That would be ~February 2016, only two months after the Kickstarter. They definitely weren't filming yet.

EDIT: Searching old backer updates, seems like September was the main filming time.

El Topo

Will we get it on German Netflix e.g.?

Contrary to what their update might imply, not everyone will be able to see it on Netflix.
The show will be available on Netflix in the following regions: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.

opoth

Banned

You don''t feel it's fair that the folks who backed the show to get a chance to see it before the premiere? I understand the piracy concern, but in the long term, pirated today or pirated Friday, hopefully won't make a big difference on the longterm numbers, and I'm sure Netflix is wise enough to take it into consideration. It's not like people are watching it a month ahead of time.

Most people I know who are actually fans plan on leaving the show streaming even when they're not watching it, so hopefully the fans' vigilance supporting the show will negate whatever lost numbers there are by having it out there a couple days early.

El Topo

Shit. Why though?

The show is virtually unknown outside the English-speaking world and I assume Netflix doesn't see any potential there, especially since a dub is out of question.
Your only legal way to view the episodes is probably going to be via purchase on their VHX site. At (I assume) $9.99 per episode (and with $1.90 VAT on top) that's not very appealing.

Edit:
I'm sure they already addressed this big issue long ago on their Kickstarter. Maybe someone else knows more.

Finished the first episode when it was streaming for free. Thirty minutes into the second episode.

I'm very, VERY satisfied with my decision to Kickstarter this.

Sanjuro

This is kind of a hard show to really spoil.

"They watched Gremlins 2 and when the the gremlins all start melting and chanting New York New York, Jonah says "Ey I'm melting here!" OMG!"

Only other thing I can think of is the film titles, but they are in the experiment name anyway.

Volimar

"They watched Gremlins 2 and when the the gremlins all start melting and chanting New York New York, Jonah says "Ey I'm melting here!" OMG!"

Only other thing I can think of is the film titles, but they are in the experiment name anyway.

DUDE WTF?!?!?

:p

deleted

The show is virtually unknown outside the English-speaking world and I assume Netflix doesn't see any potential there, especially since a dub is out of question.
Your only legal way to view the episodes is probably going to be via purchase on their VHX site. At (I assume) $9.99 per episode (and with $1.90 VAT on top) that's not very appealing.

Edit:
I'm sure they already addressed this big issue long ago on their Kickstarter. Maybe someone else knows more.

We had a fantastic Episode here way back - This Island Earth - it was dubbed by competent people, but sadly there was some fallout or rights issue iirc. It definitely has a cult following in Germany even if it might not be widely popular.

Aaron

As a backer who doesn't have netflix, I'd rather get them first.

Shit. Why though?
Getting rights to the movies has always been a minor issue for the show--maybe doing so for significantly more regions is a big hurdle.
We had a fantastic Episode here way back - This Island Earth - it was dubbed by competent people, but sadly there was some fallout or rights issue iirc. It definitely has a cult following in Germany even if it might not be widely popular.
That being The Movie rather than a regular episode, I can see more effort being put behind one major standalone show.

deleted

Getting rights to the movies has always been a minor issue for the show--maybe doing so for significantly more regions is a big hurdle.

That being The Movie rather than a regular episode, I can see more effort being put behind one major standalone show.

Yep, I can see that being true.

Nevertheless, it couldn't be that expensive for Netflix to get rights to B-D Movies, right?
Especially, since this seems to be under their own mantle...

Machine

If you read the episode descriptions, they spoil things related to the host segments. They piqued my interest but some spoiler-phobes may want to go in blind.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Wow!
of the list of new movies, the two I've previously seen unriffed are avalanche and Starcrash. I can't wait to see them riff Hasslehoff in Starcrash when I get back from work tonight

opoth

Banned
I can't wait to leave work and cosplay as Joe Don Baker for the next few days while watching new episodes.

That's my plan except maybe some New England style IPAs instead of Schlitz. Not sure if the wife will be down with having Linda Evans over...

Jacce

Banned
Everyone needs to watch this on Netflix, rather than VHX. Or if you watch on VHX play them all again Netflix again.

Getting Season 12 hinges 100% on Netflix ratings.

opoth

Banned
Everyone needs to watch this on Netflix, rather than VHX. Or if you watch on VHX play them all again Netflix again.

Getting Season 12 hinges 100% on Netflix ratings.

Preach it. Definitely watching a couple episodes between now and Friday but will certainly view the entire run from the beginning on Netflix starting Friday.

zigg

I'm sick, so I'm watching my VHX streams.

Episode 1102 was fantastic.

Will watch it again with kids later on Netflix. Incidentally, they've been keeping it really family-friendly while being really funny so far. I was a little worried about 21st-century humor being an issue.

Three episodes deep. This is really, really good, you guys. Really good.

Oh, and something I've learned: It is much easier to differentiate the voices while listening on headphones rather than watching on TV at a volume soft enough so as not to wake a sleeping child. WHO KNEW?

Will watch it again with kids later on Netflix. Incidentally, they've been keeping it really family-friendly while being really funny so far. I was a little worried about 21st-century humor being an issue.

Hampton is especially crude on Twitter, but they said from the beginning they'd keep it family friendly, which I also appreciate not only so I can watch with my kids, but it also lends itself to more creative riffs without having to rely on cursing.

It's ten times better than the first episode. Mainly because the movie is fucking amazing. So much of the quality is based on what the movie gives them to work with.

El Topo

I'm pretty sure that even among German nerd circles the show is only little known. Yes, there are some fans here, e.g. I think Kalkofe is a big fan, but all in all the fanbase is almost nonexistent over here.
As someone else already said, it was only the movie that made it over here.

You don''t feel it's fair that the folks who backed the show to get a chance to see it before the premiere? I understand the piracy concern, but in the long term, pirated today or pirated Friday, hopefully won't make a big difference on the longterm numbers, and I'm sure Netflix is wise enough to take it into consideration. It's not like people are watching it a month ahead of time.

Most people I know who are actually fans plan on leaving the show streaming even when they're not watching it, so hopefully the fans' vigilance supporting the show will negate whatever lost numbers there are by having it out there a couple days early.

I think if it is truly a big enough deal to potentially not get more seasons, and that's just not a tactic to discourage pirating, it would be better to find a compromise, delay the backer access to the day of or a few hours before the Netflix premiere.

We don't know the nature of the Netflix deal, and even if we will get more seasons regardless, a decent amount of pirating might alter what kind of freedom Joel is allowed to have with us in the future.

Hopefully it won't be a big deal.

SeanC

Missed the first episode but have the second playing at work. I feel the energy and back and forth is a bit of Mike but the jokes/riffs pretty heady ala Joel.

It's a great mix. I won't be able to catch more until the weekend but glad I got a taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom