• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Thought it was pretty good. Was confused as to where the opening of the show stopped and the intro/theme song began. Really curious what it's like in the second episode.

Yeah, it was weird. I mentioned before they had a rapid pace. I don't think they wanted to give the show a whole new narrative, but tell a expanded quick origin story.

Loved it. Agree that it starts kinda iffy and slow for first couple mins but it builds and gets really damn good. I was grinning the whole time. Loved the skeleton crew band!

Thought it was pretty good. Was confused as to where the opening of the show stopped and the intro/theme song began. Really curious what it's like in the second episode.

It most likely starts as soon as the music starts. They probably will chop off the beginning part before that from the pilot for the regular show opening.

Tansut

Overall that was pretty solid. I really enjoyed it. Reptilicus was a great first movie to start things with.

My only gripes were:

-The weird commercial breaks that don't make any sense
-Servo flying in the theater
-Gypsy just showing up in the theater
-Jokes not getting enough time to breath
-Servo talking a little too fast. Like almost literally too fast to understand what he said.

I couldn't wrap my head around what that thing that looked like a picnic cooler Gypsy dropped off in the theater. Crow did something with it, then Gypsy picked it up again. Am I dense?

Sanjuro

Gypsy showed up in the theater in the original.

Any gripes about Tom Servo flying were immediately removed by Crow breaking a glass bottle to break up a movie fight.

I couldn't wrap my head around what that thing that looked like a picnic cooler Gypsy dropped off in the theater. Crow did something with it, then Gypsy picked it up again. Am I dense?

Wondering if they are gonna be carrying over stuff to future episodes? Were they collecting slime from the creature?

Tansut

Gypsy showed up in the theater in the original.

Any gripes about Tom Servo flying were immediately removed by Crow breaking a glass bottle to break up a movie fight.
Yeah but it didn't feel as distracting or something. It's also possible that so much being different at once made it stick out more.

And yeah I don't know what the deal with the container was.

The live Q&A was good stuff. Each time I see these people interact and riff on each other live it's really funny, which only gives me hope for the rest of the season - even more so now that I know we are starting from a baseline of "good" to begin with. Really can't wait to watch more of the episodes and see what happens!

zigg

I liked this episode.

But the riff rhythm was off, at least in the beginning. It's not that there's too many or that they're delivered too quickly, but that they're delivered too early. Like, they're in-process while the thing being riffed is happening or appearing.

Actually, was my audio a bit out of sync?

Pillville

Just finished the first episode. Really, really like it!!!
Really felt like MST3K.

Most importantly, the movie segments were very funny in a nerdy/quirky way.

I liked this episode.

But the riff rhythm was off, at least in the beginning. It's not that there's too many or that they're delivered too quickly, but that they're delivered too early. Like, they're in-process while the thing being riffed is happening or appearing.

No. I had the same thought. It didnt seem reactive at times (and I know it isnt). Things seemed to get better as the episode went on, or at least i got into the rhythm more.

mclem

There were two distinct vignettes, I believe.

Gypsy delivers something to the theatre, commenting on something when she leaves. Later in the film, she collects it (again commenting, IIRC). The thing looks vaguely like a picnic hamper, but the actual delivery isn't explained - I suspect the real reason is to have an excuse for Gypsy to appear in the theatre and make a passing comment (and in doing so physically draw the viewer's attentiion to that background scene.

Reptilicus is using his slime attack. Crow nips offscreen to get a barrel, drops it in the line of his attack, then heads off to the left of the theatre with it (commenting on how that's good eatin' for the next few weeks, or something along those lines). Deposits the barrel off the left of the screen, although it 'follows him back in' for a moment until he glares at it.

I don't think the two things are related, directly, but it's somewhat confusing because Crow's thing falls in between the two times Gypsy does her thing, and both have parts that take place over on the left of the cinema.

Loved it, riffs and skits were solid and the "monster in every nation" song was great. The scene where the military fights Reptilicus was hilarious, the riffs in that scene were some of my favorite. The awful FX of the Danish farm dad going into his mouth like a cartoon paper cut out had people in the room with me rolling. All in all first episode was a big success I'd say, Jonah and the new crew are great and I can't wait to see the rest of the episodes.

Tobor

I love the new intro.

I see what people are saying about the speed of the riffs. Hopefully they'll settle in over the course of the season.

So far so great!

Overall that was pretty solid. I really enjoyed it. Reptilicus was a great first movie to start things with.

My only gripes were:

-The weird commercial breaks that don't make any sense

Assume they have reserved the right to sell it into syndication later, so wanted to make sure there were natural breaks for that. Or to put it on another ad-supported service.

Aaron

I agree with most that if they thin out the riffs a little it'll be perfect. They really captured the spirit of the original series without feeling dated. Something I felt was lacking in the other post-MST attempts.

Raxus

Loved it.

Finally I know where that gif comes from.

The pacing does get better as the movie goes on and I think and they will hopefully gel with the timing as the series goes on. Still I have 0 regrets funding this.

I'd give it a 7/10 after my first watching, and most of the points I personally knocked off were because of the rapid pace of the first quarter of the show. They really are trying to fit too much dialogue into some of the jokes. I think it'll improve though. Not a bad start.

Tansut

Assume they have reserved the right to sell it into syndication later, so wanted to make sure there were natural breaks for that. Or to put it on another ad-supported service.
Possibly, but it makes the dialogue about ratings and Netflix seem weird if that ever does happen. Actually, them being so meta about it being a show is also kind of weird.

SeanC

Glad to hear such positive reactions. I missed the window to watch the premiere but am going to have some downtime next week and binge.

Tom_Cody

My fiance and I both really enjoyed it.

-Great movie selection
-The sketches and the SFX were a blast (I definitely enjoyed the rap)
-We both really liked the rapid-fire pace of the riffs. Poor pacing was definitely the biggest problem with some of the disappointing original episodes. They seemed to have paid special attention to this.
-I'm still definitely getting used to the new voices, but I liked what I saw last night.

Ah crap. I don't have good internet at my house, so I couldn't watch this yesterday.. Now I see they've removed the video... Bummer.... Sort of wish I didn't back at 85 since I already have netflix, and for 85 you don't get the blu ray.

opoth

Banned
Ah crap. I don't have good internet at my house, so I couldn't watch this yesterday.. Now I see they've removed the video... Bummer.... Sort of wish I didn't back at 85 since I already have netflix, and for 85 you don't get the blu ray.

I think it will be back tomorrow for backers? And we will be able to download on Thursday.

I've got Blu-rays on the way but they are pretty much going to be a memento that don't get much use. I plan on viewing the entire run on Netflix until season 12 is assured, at which point I'll be watching my digital copies (available Thursday morning) from my Plex server in the long term.

Sliver

Wow didn't realize backers above $85 get to stream the entire series starting tonight, and I barely squeaked by with my pledge. Anyone staying up?

Found out that VHX has a Roku app. That's how I've been watching this and thank goodness.

When it goes live on Netflix, I'll move over to that.

Wow didn't realize backers above $85 get to stream the entire series starting tonight, and I barely squeaked by with my pledge. Anyone staying up?

I backed at 85 and had no idea, but, now I'm giddy.

Not staying up, but, now I may be taking Wednesday as a work at home day......hmmm.

daveo42

Banned
I'll probably watch one a week unless I have more free time at night or on the weekend. Doesn't seem to be something I want to binge and instead savor.

I liked this episode.

I noticed this too, but only in the early part of the episode. Once it got going, I felt that this didn't happen nearly as much. There are some timing-centric jokes like the quick cuts between the clock and thermostat, or the pan across the people with beakers and lamps in the foreground that would have been handled the same day in the original series, but the pacing seemed like it evened out toward the end of the episode.

Is it known whether this was the first production episode? If so, then we'll probably going to see everything work itself out as it goes.

Host segments were always VERY hit or miss for me, so I wasn't expecting much. The monster rap was pretty righteous, but I did not like the first one with Kinga explaining the plot. I'm willing to accept early installment weirdness.

I've heard a lot of people say they couldn't tell Tom and Crow apart. For me it was Tom and Jonah. Hampton's Crow is kinda imitating Trace's Crow with the nasal voice. But Baron and Jonah have the same 'tone', so a lot of the time I had difficulty telling who was speaking.

zigg

I noticed this too, but only in the early part of the episode. Once it got going, I felt that this didn't happen nearly as much. There are some timing-centric jokes like the quick cuts between the clock and thermostat, or the pan across the people with beakers and lamps in the foreground that would have been handled the same day in the original series, but the pacing seemed like it evened out toward the end of the episode.
I've been wondering if that might be the case. I wasn't watching very attentively or critically yesterday, was multitasking a little. I'm watching it again now (I had the VHX app cache the stream yesterday, and it's still letting me play it, hehe).

Is it known whether this was the first production episode? If so, then we'll probably going to see everything work itself out as it goes.
I am not entirely sure. Whenever they talk about production, this question doesn't feel like it has a clear answer. I'm hoping that the movie segments did have a more normal, paced schedule unlike the super-crunch that was filming the rest of the shows, because even if those were shot in order, it seems unlikely they could've learned much in that time.

Host segments were always VERY hit or miss for me, so I wasn't expecting much. The monster rap was pretty righteous, but I did not like the first one with Kinga explaining the plot. I'm willing to accept early installment weirdness.
I liked the host segments overall, and yeah, especially the monster rap. Though Patton seems a bit awkward.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'll probably watch one a week unless I have more free time at night or on the weekend. Doesn't seem to be something I want to binge and instead savor.

I'll agree, the format does not lend itself to binging.

Btw, make sure if you have Netflix, to watch it on Netflix.
It increases the probability of a new Season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom