• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

I don't care for the new opening...

The old version was better than blablablablabla

image.php

:p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Joke timing needs work. They're sometimes cutting off each other to get the joke in.

Liked the first intermission sketch. Nice song.

kulapik

Finally, the tunnel explains
how he eats and breathes,and other science facts! Well, it only explains how he eats because there's a kitchen there, but whatever!

Sanjuro

You start getting into it more as the episode progresses. Biggest problem is attachment to the old voices.

My pet peeve is the rushed dialog and radio voice dialog. It's something that plaques the newer riffing vs. the more relaxed natural flow from early MST3K.

mclem

I told myself I'd just watch the intro.

Hah. Some chance.

Edit: Took a while to get going, but really into it from about halfway or so. I think the end credits theme is a new recording of the slow theme? It's excellent.

Nice to see Erin Gray. Joel's in there somewhere as "Ardy", but didn't spot him - presumably someone working in Moon 13? Rebecca Hanson's Moon 13 character (who still reminds me immensely of Pearl) is named 'Synthia', a droid or genetically engineered human? In terms of the overall premise, I love the visual concept of 'Liquid TV'.

Edit2:
Might 'Ardy' be the 'movie in the hole!' guy?

Edit3:
Har Mar Superstar's behind the main theme (and appeared as one of the Skeleton Crew in the intro) - which should make MST3k a *very* useful nexus point for Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon since he's also appeared on Never Mind The Buzzcocks - and that orchestral Mighty Science Theater is the FAMES Macedonian Symphonic Orchestra. How was the original Mighty theme recorded?

Sanjuro

Looks like they are thanking people alphabetically throughout the season. Great to start with "A", suckers!

It was a very mixed episode for me. I sort of like the frantic pace with the overall narrative as this program doesn't really require backstory. I'm hoping the Mads have more to do going forward.

SuperPac

Still at the beginning of the movie but I was really impressed with that opening. Guess that's what happens when you have budget! Lovely stuff.

Complistic

Really enjoyed it so far, a few things need tweaking but the joke writing is on point and that's the entire reason I watch the show.

I knew it would take a bit getting used to, but I loved them opening.

Servo flying around 'feels' like it would get old fast.

It took awhile for them to get going, but it felt like MST3K, and that's pretty awesome

Oh my god, I loved it. I'm so, so happy with how this has turned out so far. The energy, the designs, the chemistry, the songs... I was grinning like an idiot for the whole first episode.

It's like Joel has been sitting for years with a crystal clear idea of how to bring it forward without losing the magic and finally got a chance to execute it exactly how he wanted to.

mclem

What's GAF spoiler policy on bingewatchable product, anyway? I don't think I've ever watched one in 'real time' from launch. Is everything fair game from release, or is there an expectation to watch an episode every few days with a spoiler policy that reflects that?

Owensboro

Man, the new numbers are great. Also, love the first intermission song. It's stupid, but catchy. You know, like every other intermission.

I need to stop watching and watch the livestream.

I'm waiting until 5:00 to watch this with the chat!

(The TV is busy with kids playing Zelda anyway)

That's 5 EST, right? Can't freaking wait.

What's GAF spoiler policy on bingewatchable product, anyway? I don't think I've ever watched one in 'real time' from launch. Is everything fair game from release, or is there an expectation to watch an episode every few days with a spoiler policy that reflects that?

That's a good question. I'd assume certain things need to be spoilered (movie titles, maybe?) for at least a few weeks minimum. I don't know about all you dudes, but I won't be able to blow through this thing in a day or two. My schedule just isn't going to allow it.

zigg

That's 5 EST, right? Can't freaking wait.
Yep! I triple-checked how time zones work, haha.

That's a good question. I'd assume certain things need to be spoilered (movie titles, maybe?) for at least a few weeks minimum. I don't know about all you dudes, but I won't be able to blow through this thing in a day or two. My schedule just isn't going to allow it.
I'm definitely going going to go slow. 20+ hours of TV takes me awhile.

Won't Netflix be showing the movie titles in the episode list?

I'm going to echo some of the same comments I'm seeing here. First off, I really enjoyed it! I thought it was great, and the few issues are not big, and totally fixable. (If not this season then maybe the next? /fingerscrossed)

WARNING: Spoilery wall of text/thoughts on the 1st epsidoe to follow for those who are waiting for Netflix to watch it:

First, the things I was less sold on.

The opening bit was a lot of fun, but it also felt disjointed. Exposition mixed with the theme song slowly creeping in, and then it just turned into the theme song in full - and then 2 months have passed and yet Kinga is still explaining her setup. Was just odd. I'm suspecting that from Episode 2 on it'll be fine without having to 'setup' things beyond the theme song. It was enjoyable but oddly paced. (yes yes I know, I should really just relax - but if the show is going to attempt to setup what is going on with story beats I feel like they should at least be internally consistent)

I definitely agree with some of the jokes feeling just a bit TOO rapid fire. I never felt like they were stepping on each others lines, just that the jokes were coming SO fast that it was hard to process. Although this could just be my mind getting back up to the rhythm of MST3k as some of the later "rapid fire" sections landed 100% and had me laughing my ass off. (Specifically the whole finale with the monster) Something else I'd read that I agree with is that right now both Tom and Crow's voices are too similar. It's not a big deal by any means, but I largely don't know who is making the joke beyond it either being Jonah or the Bots. I can see this also just being something I get used to with time. The commercial breaks felt odd in the context of it being a Netflix show. I initially thought that maybe it was just a hold over from before they knew "how" the new episodes would be distributed, but later on Kinga make specific reference to the show being on Netflix. Not bad, just a little odd considering. Same for the way Jonah and the bots would just get up and leave the theater. It's been awhile, but I felt like earlier they at least commented on them leaving - instead of just randomly getting up.

That seems like a lot of complaints, but each and every one of them is soooo small in the grand scheme of things. They really are just nitpicks. Which is balanced by the fact that I more than once was laughing so hard I missed jokes. More than once I was blindsided by some obscure reference that was perfect but so random. The host segments felt great, better than I had any hope for them. The fan letters? The cloned Tom? The SONG!? All great great stuff.

I really liked the new Mads too. Patton obviously killed it, and felt like the most 'comfortable' right out of the gate. Felicia Day felt fine, and I can see her getting into the role more as time goes on. She had the right 'attitude' though. Jonah was a great as Heston, and I'm super curious to see his relationship with the bots develop. Beyond the voice identification issues I had with Crow and Tom, their delivery felt great and in character.

Overall I'm super happy with this first episode, and can't wait for next week for the rest to drop. Even if none of my issues above are addressed I'd still be SUPER happy with 13 more episodes like this first one.

Bring em on!

gabbo

It's good, not quite sure I like Max's bumper recaps, but otherwise it's really good....
Oh, I wish theyd move around more. Jonah seems to have less room to work despite "cleaning up Gypsy". Mike and Joel could at lest move around the podium if they wanted

Still, overall, liking what I see from the Ex1101

edit: I never thought I'd want to explore more of the world, but there is so much more going on in Moon13 it seems, like the henchmen and how the movies are delivered. I should really just relax, but ..c'mon!

mclem

I think that's another factor that perhaps should be considered; it's a slightly diffierent situation when you're dealing with 90 minute epsiodes rather than 45!

The bumper recaps felt a lot like the the early Comedy Central years where'd they directly refer to episodes as "experiment #xxxx" each time they'd go in and out.

I think part of the reason they're still using the breaks at all is because otherwise we'd be watching people riff for like 30 minutes straight between the host segments and that would be a huuuuge effort with all the new puppetry and stuff. They have to break it up somehow to make it easier to shoot. It's not like Rifftrax where it's just audio so you'd never know if/how they were editing different parts together so it appears seamless for 90 minutes.

I really cannot get over how perfect crow is. This has a ton of potential. Some of the jokes go on too long but otherwise it feels about right.

Rukun

Neo Member
I liked this quote from Reddit:
"A joke needs time to register and be appreciated, and there needs to be enough time between jokes to follow the movie or you risk loosing the larger context for the jokes and so blunting the impact."

That was my biggest gripe while watching. The voices are ok, but it doesn't feel like a few buddies laughing at a bad movie, it feels like a group of annoying teenagers that talk over everything. I did laugh a couple times though.
That said, the recent facebook live with Crow and Tom was actually pretty funny, and gives me hope that things will slow down and the jokes will have better writing and come more naturally as we go on.

daveo42

Banned
Just finished watching 1101 and I do agree that they were firing off jokes far too much. There was little to no breathing room between them so there was no time to react. Was fine with the majority of the setup outside of the "two months" shift and the explanation on what is happening. The commercial breaks were a bit out of place, but I get the idea behind trying to both keep them and evolve them from the original show. Lastly, most of the jokes just didn't land, at least for me. There were a few real good ones throughout, but they were drowned out by the large volume that didn't, which kind of falls in line with the complaints about how the pace of jokes overall.

Song was the true highlight for me. That was one of the better things I've seen come out of MST3K overall. Catchy, fun, hilarious, and informative! I have high hopes the rest of the season.

I liked it a lot, felt like MST3k to me. The song was the highlight, there were some good jokes throughout the movie and it got a quite a few laughs out of me, so I'm a happy backer.

Sanjuro

I liked this quote from Reddit:
"A joke needs time to register and be appreciated, and there needs to be enough time between jokes to follow the movie or you risk loosing the larger context for the jokes and so blunting the impact."

That was my biggest gripe while watching. The voices are ok, but it doesn't feel like a few buddies laughing at a bad movie, it feels like a group of annoying teenagers that talk over everything. I did laugh a couple times though.
That said, the recent facebook live with Crow and Tom was actually pretty funny, and gives me hope that things will slow down and the jokes will have better writing and come more naturally as we go on.

The late Mike years were kind of like this.

Owensboro

Starting up!

Well this chat is moving way to fast to watch the movie and it. Hopefully I can just notice the blue Jonah and Joel text.

Owensboro

Am I the only one watching? Oh well.

This is the second time I'm watching the first 30 minutes of this, and I'm actually really liking the rapid fire jokes. I'm hearing ones I didn't really catch the first time.

Sanjuro

I liked it much better on second viewing.

Watching it at 3am EST and observing changes to a formula I've known for close to thirty years is a hurdle.

Sliver

Thought it was pretty good. Was confused as to where the opening of the show stopped and the intro/theme song began. Really curious what it's like in the second episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom