• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Looks like April 14th is the big day. Saw the tweet from Netflix, and then checked my email to see a hurried (and appreciated) email from Joel.
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/834279202589323265
t8l4IgK.png
Awesome, my dad is going to be visiting a few days later for a few nights. MST3K was one of the shows we loved together. We will have to watch a few episodes.

Oh, there were cameras everywhere; they even had a bit going on in the line outside with one of the new Bots talking to people in cosplay.

Would heavily bet on that being a backer extra.

Sliver

Those Mads outfits look pretty goofy. Guess we'll have to wait and see how they mesh with whatever set design the location has.

Those Mads outfits look pretty goofy. Guess we'll have to wait and see how they mesh with whatever set design the location has.

First thought I had was of the goggles they were in that scene in Willy Wonka with the television cameras.
84308-21386.jpg

The other interesting thing I noticed was Gypsy is coming from the ceiling this time around.

I think ST was pretty much directly translated to the audio track on the site. The Room was pretty different, so you might be out of luck there.
They did release an alternate The Room audio track with the script from the live show for the real completionists.

BearChair

Is there no funding bracket that includes a VOD of the Special Secret Show?

Not at the moment.

I have two ideas what the movie is. First, they already have somewhat of a relationship with Sony after getting Mothra last year. Maybe Godzilla is next.

Or the longshot is maybe Star Wars. I remember a magazine interview from way back in the '90s where the MST3K guys said that was the dream movie. Maybe, Rifftrax is big enough now to make that happen.

mclem

Or the longshot is maybe Star Wars. I remember a magazine interview from way back in the '90s where the MST3K guys said that was the dream movie. Maybe, Rifftrax is big enough now to make that happen.
What's the current legal status of the Holiday Special? Is that Disney's or Lucas's or whose? Possibly redoing that as a live event might be something plausible. And with the mention of guests, it does strike me as something Hamill might play along with!

Edit: Oh, in the comments they explicitly say that it's a title they've never riffed before. That excludes an awful lot of suggestions around here. It's also PG-13.

What's the current legal status of the Holiday Special? Is that Disney's or Lucas's or whose? Possibly redoing that as a live event might be something plausible. And with the mention of guests, it does strike me as something Hamill might play along with!

Edit: Oh, in the comments they explicitly say that it's a title they've never riffed before. That excludes an awful lot of suggestions around here. It's also PG-13.

Mac & Me. They need to make it happen. Aside from the product placement on every known flat surface in that film, I don't see what other barrier could exist for this film being riffed on. Hell, there's so much insane shit that goes on in the film, they wouldn't even have to worry about making any consideration as to if the episode would bomb if they were to sidestep the issue of the boy's real life disability because of all the other comedy gold opportunities.

Is there no funding bracket that includes a VOD of the Special Secret Show?
They talk about it being legally complicated, so it's probably one of the big movies they won't have the ability to sell (as a complete package) afterward, like 90s Godzilla or Starship Troopers.
mclem said:
What's the current legal status of the Holiday Special? Is that Disney's or Lucas's or whose?
Disregarding that as you already said it won't be this--I am pretty curious how they got proper rights for that as a VOD, especially reusing Internet-found footage with the old commercials.

RetroMG

Disregarding that as you already said it won't be this--I am pretty curious how they got proper rights for that as a VOD, especially reusing Internet-found footage with the old commercials.

I don't have an answer, I just want to say that the old commercials are absolutely the best part of the SW Holiday Special Riff. I would watch a show of just them riffing commercials from the 70s and 80s.

Fisty

They talk about it being legally complicated, so it's probably one of the big movies they won't have the ability to sell (as a complete package) afterward, like 90s Godzilla or Starship Troopers.

Still holding out hope for Howard the Duck... the Marvel/Lucasfilm/Disney angle would definitely make it one of the more complicated ones they've tackled.

Update:
Joel said:
I want to tell you that these events (live screenings in New York,Chicago, L.A.) weren't part of the "Livestream Screening" that we promised as a reward for backers who pledged for EXPERIMENT 025 and higher. You didn't miss the online screening reward! That's still going to happen before Netflix releases the new season on April 14. We're working out the details now, so I hope we'll have those for you in the next week or two.

Gypsy is voiced by Rebecca Hanson (twitter here).

Joel also explained that he grew uncomfortable with Gypsy being "dim" and voiced by a man. She'll be much more with it in the new season and occasionally show up to riff in the theater.

Rebecca also plays the part of one of Kinga's minions.

Joel also showed a new bot that was at the screenings (won't post it here as it was in a backer-only update that Joel has asked not to share).

opoth

Banned
Any word on the previous seasons coming Netflix?

Due to rights issues you're never going to see full seasons available in an official capacity anywhere. I do hope that Shout puts together some type of 20-30 "classic" episode package for Netflix to accompany the new episodes along the way, that's probably the best we can hope for.

I've got my personal copies of Volumes 1-38, the single Rhino volumes, KTMA episodes and all DVD extras ripped in H265 on my Plex server. It would be awesome if the more casual fanbase could have a similar experience someday but movie rights suck.

mclem

There's two words that are in that update that I don't think have been mentioned before. And in entirely unrelated news, I assume "Lord willing and creek don't rise" is some midwesterny version of 'touch wood'?

mclem

What's that?

"Next season". As in the one after this one. Which we always knew was a hope (and is still just a hope, I guess), but it sounds like it's at least solidifying as an avenue they can go down.

I think the tone on that has changed to be a little more positive, is what I'm saying - as in they're pencilling in at least vague plans - but I bet nothing's set in stone as yet!

Sliver

Considering the (relatively) low cost of producing MST3K vs other Netflix productions, I figured a new season was likely. Pretty excited to see the mainstream reaction.

I'm sorry for the bump with no new info, but is it typical for a Netflix show to be less than a month out with no trailer/promo material? Aside from the announcement tweet, cast photo and addition of classic episodes (which has been done before), I'm concerned about the level of promotion.

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

kulapik

I'm sorry for the bump with no new info, but is it typical for a Netflix show to be less than a month out with no trailer/promo material? Aside from the announcement tweet, cast photo and addition of classic episodes (which has been done before), I'm concerned about the level of promotion.

Yeah, I've seen shows promoted just the week before being released. Like the Chapelle specials, for example.

Tom_Cody

I think we consider the classic episode dump that they did to be a form of promotion.

I see the lack of a trailer as a part of their stated effort to keep the season's movies under wraps; any preview would blow the surprise on at least a few of them, after all.

That said, the actual list of movies leaked months ago, and some light googling shows it still can be found easily. As someone who went to the backer premiere, I can confirm that it's at least 1/14th legit ;)

It's possible that they'll put up a non-spoilery host segment or the show's intro - 1101's or from a episode further into the season depending on how much they want to reveal about the framing narrative.

B.K.

Gotcha. Chapelle is more high profile than MST3K so that makes me feel better.

Joel is really going as far as he can to keep as much secret about season 11 as possible. People who went to the Kickstarter exclusive premiere screenings had to sign NDAs that they wouldn't reveal what movie was shown or talk about the host segments. I wouldn't be surprised if there's no trailer at all before the season goes live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom