• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Myst - Official Announcement Trailer VR

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We’ve been keeping this one close to the chest for some time, and now that the cat is officially out of the bag we can finally talk about it… The [secret project] we’ve been hinting at on our various social channels is a brand new version of Myst, completely reimagined for modern game systems and - for the first time for any game in the Myst series - including optional VR support!

We hope it gave you chills… It gives US chills and we made it! We’ve got a quick favor to ask… If you’re excited about this game, could you help us out by wishlisting it on Steam or GOG? Not only will it help you to stay notified when the game launches, but it really helps us to gauge interest and excitement levels about Myst

Saw the trailer a while ago already.
If anyone is interested, you can Wishlist this game on Steam!

Last edited:
This is really exciting to me. Played this as a kid and found it mysterious. Was always something I kept going back to. And now I get to experience it in VR!

EDIT: I will be able to play this on my Vive right?

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That's a great idea if I ever saw one.

I wasn't able to finish the old one, but I always wanted to. Maybe this time I will.

Myst is the perfect example of a timeless masterpiece in gaming. It's incredible the kind of story and atmosphere Cyan pulled off with the severe limitations of the medium at the time. I still get chills just thinking about it.

ready for this of course. But tbh, still didn't finish Obduction (that circular maze thing gets hairy). Absolutely stunning to see the scale of the worlds in VR.

well, was expecting Firmament, but guess they need further funding and what better way to that than bringing a big classic brand?

Myst is the perfect example of a timeless masterpiece in gaming. It's incredible the kind of story and atmosphere Cyan pulled off with the severe limitations of the medium at the time. I still get chills just thinking about it.

limitations of current VR though draw great criticism to Obduction, at least on psvr. Plays and looks much like the classic indeed

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Ah, I think this is a big part of why their previously announced game Firmament got massively, massively delayed. That game went pretty much back to the concept art phase, which is a drag because I was looking forward to it.

What is this the fourth remake? Masterpiece Edition, realMyst, realMyst Masterpiece Edition, and now this? Still, the fact that it seems to be a modern ground up remake in VR support is reason enough for me. I really enjoyed Obduction in VR a lot.

SF Kosmo

This is really exciting to me. Played this as a kid and found it mysterious. Was always something I kept going back to. And now I get to experience it in VR!

Presently unknown. Their previous title WAS timed exclusive to Rift (as far as the VR stuff) for I think about 6 months but eventually added Vive support and came to PSVR.

But 2020 Oculus doesn't seem to see value in exclusives anymore. They are releasing Medal of Honor on Steam alongside their own store, and that is a first party title, so yeah.

Last edited:

TexMex

Won't get to play in VR but absolutely buying this. Few games can replicate Myst's atmosphere. In one of my dorkier, younger moments I bought one of the Myst books too - and it was shockingly good!

Starhowl

But I bought the game already 2 times in 2 different versions - how are they expecting the customer to buy it a third time? Why no upgrade of the existing "realMyst: Masterpiece Edition"? :mad:

Anyway, not a VR user and also not a great fan of it at the moment.. 🤷‍♂️

SF Kosmo

But I bought the game already 2 times in 2 different versions - how are they expecting the customer to buy it a third time? Why no upgrade of the existing "realMyst: Masterpiece Edition"? :mad:

Anyway, not a VR user and also not a great fan of it at the moment.. 🤷‍♂️
It's a completely ground up remake, it's not an upgrade or an enhanced port like the Masterpiece releases. Asking for a freebie seems like a lot.

Starhowl

It's a completely ground up remake, it's not an upgrade or an enhanced port like the Masterpiece releases. Asking for a freebie seems like a lot.
Then why is it looking exactly the same if it is a complete ground up remake? :LOL:
And who asked for a freebie? I believe it was the developers, in this case.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Then why is it looking exactly the same if it is a complete ground up remake? :LOL:
Uh, no... realMyst:ME was Unity reskin of a (then) 14 year old game, this is a brand new remake in UE4, they look nothing alike.

ss_5ec764385d2a40a7763db69523bd01b9c0e200e8.600x338.jpg

ss_94f36320f4848ee4191293d99cca15e904495904.600x338.jpg

ss_950f6f410b4ed01bed0f7694438c9ae09d62415c.600x338.jpg

ss_f32b744de7c88dcd0302de841c6f5f33d602dab5.600x338.jpg

ShadowNate

To me it also seems like the goal is to pour sales profits into Firmament's funding. That's not a bad thing.

However, for a re-imagining this new game (from what I saw in the trailer) feels quite the same to me and, pending an actual release date, also feels somewhat too close to the previous iteration which had the ridiculous title "RealMyst Masterpiece Edition".

I do love the Myst series. The earlier games in particular.
I am more interested in seeing a release from the RealRiven aka Starry Expanse project, now that Cyan is officially involved in that one.

This Myst remake looks like a test drive for what's being worked on for RealRiven and probably Firmament.

I do hope that the remake will allow them to redesign certain issues and restrictions of the original that they previously had to claim artistic license on to justify them (but still didn't fix in any of the subsequent iterations).

Let's be cautiously optimistic, right Cyan? Heh.

SF Kosmo

To me it also seems like the goal is to pour sales profits into Firmament's funding. That's not a bad thing.

However, for a re-imagining this new game (from what I saw in the trailer) feels quite the same to me and, pending an actual release date, also feels somewhat too close to the previous iteration which had the ridiculous title "RealMyst Masterpiece Edition".

I do love the Myst series. The earlier games in particular.
I am more interested in seeing a release from the RealRiven aka Starry Expanse project, now that Cyan is officially involved in that one.

This Myst remake looks like a test drive for what's being worked on for RealRiven and probably Firmament.

I do hope that the remake will allow them to redesign certain issues and restrictions of the original that they previously had to claim artistic license on to justify them (but still didn't fix in any of the subsequent iterations).

Let's be cautiously optimistic, right Cyan? Heh.
The designs at a minimum are being rethought and don't seem too closely based on RealMyst or the original. It's hard to tell from just screens but some layouts are a little different they might be rethinking some puzzles.

Firmament development got pretty off the rails, they said the game was just not coming together so they scrapped it and started the design over. I don't think Cyan is all that cash poor but it's possible they did this to raise money for Firmament.

I think more likely they were just money hatted to get something ready for Quest's launch window, and a remake was easier to get out on a tight schedule, especially since Firmament was a mess.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

For context about the RealRiven Starry Expanse project:

This is from two years ago, when they announced Cyan is officially working with them

Edit: I'm actually mistaken here. The above demo was shown 2 years ago, but the official involvement of Cyan was announce on August 2019.

Last edited:

Starhowl

For context about the RealRiven Starry Expanse project:

This is from two years ago, when they announced Cyan is officially working with them

Edit: I'm actually mistaken here. The above demo was shown 2 years ago, but the official involvement of Cyan was announce on August 2019.

Very cool, a real-time Riven would be a true addition! Looking forward to it! :messenger_grinning:

SF Kosmo

But it's the exact same game, just a different "skin"? ó.ò
It's mostly the same design, but I expect this one will have a new UI/controls and probably be reworked to an extent. They are promising "new interactions" and a "puzzle randomizer."

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Ah, so there are real answers now:.

• Short period of Quest exclusivity. Exact length of time unclear, but the title is "first on Quest." I have seen a number of sites claim this is releasing this year on Quest to make the launch window, though I can't find an official source on that. So it might not be a long wait regardless.
  • PC version coming second, will include support for major headsets at launch.
  • "Other platforms" to follow.
The Quest version doesn't look as nice as the PC screenshots, of course, but I have to say it looks very fucking nice for mobile VR. Quest 2 is almost creeping into PSVR territory now, in terms of being able to deliver credible, if scaled-down versions of PC VR experiences.

I wonder if we'll see a Switch version. The Switch port of realMyst is... only a few months old, so it seems sort of shitty if they knew they were working on this, but considering they already have a mobile version of this on Quest, it's hard to imagine why they wouldn't want to port that over...

Last edited:

looks to be a better port than Obduction while still using many of its limited mechanics - like objects without physics that just go back to their standard location when your let go of them. At least, free walk and even running.

no, don't mind the grade the kid gave to the true to the original 90s game.

about 8 hours of sheer exploration, puzzle solving and note-taking (still not automatic but they intend to fix this). Here I come...

ShadowNate

I hope they fixed or adapted a few things so that they make more sense. Like being able to carry more than one freaking page at a time.

Or that weird end-puzzle in StoneShip Age.

very nice remake:

don't recommend watching much not to spoil puzzle solving, though I heard this time around puzzles are somewhat randomized

Top Bottom