• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Myst for Xbox Series Consoles to Feature AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution at Launch

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
AMD FSR is a single-frame spatial image-enhancing technology that preserves high-quality edges through its upscaling algorithms. As a result, images that would normally look blurry using other super sampling technologies, retain their quality and sharpness thanks to a combination of upscaling and sharpening techniques.

FSR_Side_By_Side2.jpg

The first Xbox game to officially launch with FSR support is Myst. This game has been remastered and received numerous versions over its 25-year history. The game has already been launched with high-quality textures and virtual reality support. This new version for Xbox will launch on August 26th (free for Game Pass subscribers) and also on Steam.

Thanks to FSR, Myst ican run in 4K at a smooth 60fps on Xbox Series X with the highest graphics setting across the board, and at 1440p at 60fps on Xbox Series S!

With FSR, we effectively decrease the screen percentage of the game down in the background, then allow the super sampling process to sharpen the image. There are some minor differences to how the game looks at native 4K resolution without screen percentage adjustments, but overall, FSR provides a nearly 75% increase in performance on Xbox Series X|S on a 4K display, without sacrificing much visual fidelity at all.

— Jeff Lanctot, Marketing and Brand Manager, Cyan

Riky

$MSFT
Hopefully the first of many games, if this can give a better image than steep DRS scaling the it will be worthwhile.

JaksGhost

Don't care about the game but nice to see new tech coming to consoles

Xbox once again in the vanguard regarding new tech, Dolby vision, vrr, 1440p support, fps boost and so on...

Yeah...

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Oh my God, I freakin LOVE Myst!

Spent a lot of hours playing it back in the day. I like the atmosphere, it give you a unique sensation.

I found this article pretty helpful in explaining what FSR is.

Current AMD FSR Games

• Arcadegeddon (PS5)
  • 22 Racing Series
  • Anno 1800
  • DOTA 2
  • Evil Genius 2: World Domination
  • Godfall
  • Kingshunt
  • Necromunda: Hired Gun
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Terminator: Resistance
  • The Riftbreaker
Upcoming AMD FSR Games

• Asterigos
  • Baldur’s Gate 3
  • Edge of Eternity
  • Far Cry 6
  • Farming Simulator 22
  • Forspoken
  • Myst
  • Swordsman Remake
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt

Added the list of games in case anyones curious to see the ones that support it.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm looking forward to this. The Quest version was a little underwhelming for for me but the full fat version looks great. I just hope they include the journal feature they have been talking about.

How does the FMV look now?
I know this is a joke but they redid the FMV with CGI and it looks absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

This is like, the third or fourth time they have remade Myst lol
Technically it's the second remake, along with two remasters, although realMyst: Masterpiece Edition was something of a middle ground between remake and remaster.

But this is the first true ground up remake of the game in over 20 years. It does looks pretty impressive, more on par with Obduction. I think they are hoping to make this a kind of evergreen legacy product they can sell for year while they move on to new IP.

ZehDon

And yet, if I take the actual content of the example image square and re-size both, they're actually identical.

Smells like marketing BS to me. What's the point of showing an identical image with only the enlarged square showing any difference at all?
6LnMdlu.jpg

Last edited:

chaseroni

And yet, if I take the actual content of the example image square and re-size both, they're actually identical.

Smells like marketing BS to me. What's the point of showing an identical image with only the enlarged square showing any difference at all?
6LnMdlu.jpg
I may be misunderstanding but I think one of the shots is native 4k and the other is with FSR on? To show that it can look "as good" as 4k?
Dunno really with this one. Excited to play this either way, love Myst

SF Kosmo

it was a serious inquiry. I am glad they redid it.
I think they would have done better to remaster the old footage. If you look what they're doing with the Pandora Directive remaster, you can get a lot out of that old FMV, and given how it's used in the game it wouldn't really be limiting.

Technically it's the second remake, along with two remasters, although realMyst: Masterpiece Edition was something of a middle ground between remake and remaster.

But this is the first true ground up remake of the game in over 20 years. It does looks pretty impressive, more on par with Obduction. I think they are hoping to make this a kind of evergreen legacy product they can sell for year while they move on to new IP.
Ah, yeah that's true re: the remasters.

I can't even remember the last time I played Myst, but I can't decide if I would want to replay the Windows 3.1 original version or this one.

SF Kosmo

Ah, yeah that's true re: the remasters.

I can't even remember the last time I played Myst, but I can't decide if I would want to replay the Windows 3.1 original version or this one.
Something about using VR to visit this world I spent so much time exploring through still frames as a kid feels special to me. Like the realization of a 30 year old dream.

intbal

I tried Myst and Riven, but I just couldn't obtain any enjoyment from these games. However, after seeing that DF video about the AI upscaled MGS2 trailer, I now want a remaster of The 7th Guest, with all that old FMV footage included.

SF Kosmo

I tried Myst and Riven, but I just couldn't obtain any enjoyment from these games. However, after seeing that DF video about the AI upscaled MGS2 trailer, I now want a remaster of The 7th Guest, with all that old FMV footage included.
They did do a remaster of 7th Guest but without source assets there's only so much you can do for footage that compressed.

They recently unearthed the source video tapes for Pandora Directive and they're remastering that using the same AI techniques and it's kind of crazy how much they are able to get out of 25 year old FMV though.

Starhowl

This is gonna be so awesome, played through the game as a twelve year old, hope I will be able to do it again! Now just remasters of the sequels would be cool on Xbox.. :pie_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
Since we are bringing back and remastering fad games that really weren't much good, when is the 4K HDR remaster of The 7th Guest?

Top Bottom