• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mysplaced Preview: A Shameless Zelda Clone

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Mysplaced takes everything you know about top down Zelda games and turns upside up. The game does very little to distinguish itself from the beloved franchise. As a contender for Rogue Jam and a prize of $50,000, Mysplaced aims for your nostalgic heart as it attempts to capture the magic left behind by The Legends of Zelda: A Link to the Past, especially with its design so heavily influenced by the Nintendo Switch remake.

kingfey

Banned
Can people shut up with these stupid comparisons?
That is why most games aren't a hit, due to these comparisons.

Gandih42

I think it can go both ways. A lot of "soulslikes" found success because people wanted more of that style of game. Even if the comparisons often are unfavorable, games like The Surge, Mortal Shell, Nioh, etc. had enough original ideas to be successful. The game actually being good will (or at least should) trump being derivative for most people. In this case, I think the comparison might help put this game on the map and sell it to people who want more games like the Link to the Past remake.

Though, not to say that comparisons can't be obnoxious when it encompasses the entire narrative around a game.

Teslerum

I'd agree, if this didn't rip-off the Link's Awakening remake near exactly.

This reminds me of the early WOW clones that looked near indistinguishable to the real thing.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

It isn't shameless, it is inclusionary. Bringing a good game to more platforms, even if it isn't the exact original. Wish it were coming to Xbox so that I could play it.

Tangerine

Often times I agree with the sentiment that it's not ripping off but paying homage/taking inspiration etc.

But in this case it seems far too much like Zelda and seems a bit shameless to be honest.

If it were a fan game fine but they are going to charge people money for it.

Doesn't sit right with me...

bbeach123

If you change the player model to Link (heck just change his color scheme) ,keep everything the same and call it Link's Awakening DLC I would believe you .

Aw fck it just call it Link's Awakening .

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

I usually agree with this, especially when "Dark Souls-like" is coined, but in this specific case it's a carbon-copy of the source material.

It really looks like a shameless clone, regardless of the game even being good or not.

Well, if Nintendo doesn't bring their exclusives experiences to other platforms, I am not one to blame anyone trying to emulate that. Here is a case of "the more, the better" in my book. It's basically a good knock-off of a beloved series, it won't stop me from playing Zelda and I just hope Nintendo ninja lawyers don't get claiming this is a blatant copy if the full game has more surprises with mechanics and environments.

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is such a rip off of Link's Awakening that Nintendo could legitimately get away with a cease and desist.

Myths

Not only that, but the people developing these games often grew up with whatever they’re “cloning.” It’s all they know.

Soodanim

Gold Member
This is such a rip off of Link's Awakening that Nintendo could legitimately get away with a cease and desist.
Other clones usually change something, but the only changes here are BotW inspired additions or generic names.

I wonder where the legal line is on this stuff.

Gianna Sisters got away with it, didn’t it?

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Not only that, but the people developing these games often grew up with whatever they’re “cloning.” It’s all they know.
You guys need to watch the video before commenting. For real, this is a blatant copy of Link's Awakening. Games like Death's Door and Tunic are clearly heavily inspired by Zelda but they're doing their own thing, with their own visual style and mechanics - and I appreciate that, because it's clear now that we can have great games with this same style, other than Zelda. But this one is straight up copying Link's Awakening assets.

And I think copying that much of Link's Awakening will do more harm than good, even if Nintendo doesn't move a finger. Even if the game ends up being good, this complete lack of originality already decrease the devs credibility. And watching this preview, I am under the impression that other than the Zelda knock off elements, almost everything they tried or had to do on their own doesn't look good: the background is completely bare-bones, the design of enemies and gear (such as the shield) is pretty bad or over simplistic, apparently they're not very creative to name areas or characters ("old man", "ice world"), and there are some elements in the scenario that doesn't make sense, like that ball mini-game in the middle of a grass area.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like they're gonna be able to copy Link's Awakening quality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom