• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My visual "Alpha Review" to the Ghost of Tsushima Gameplay Trailer - Exploring Tsushima and More -

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier

Welcome to my Alpha Review to Ghost of Tsushima ( the T is silent in Tsushima )

Zx4Jr0Z.jpg

before I start I want to point something to you GAF that this is not the final review of the game ( its Alpha Goddamit ) and I'v seen it ( the gameplay footage ) many times
and thought that I should just share my thoughts of the game so far

- Exploring Tsushima -

No doubt we have seen a beautiful world with its direction of art coming alive , yet not every beautiful world has a great exploring .
But with GOT I'm positive exploring it would be interesting and full of strange and known things depends on what is the world offering to the player and i will tell you why I'm positive .

No curiosity no exploring for me .. 100% right but in GOT , building a creative way to guide you through this world via wind to navigate things you can't see or just using it for showing off with your photo mode ! no ? ok
world of Tsushima has been giving me vibs of HZD , AC and Sekiro .

F31i9O8.png

- Collections -

Seeing that map makes me more excited and I'm a big fan of collecting things through out the world which means exploring the world
and finding a lot about it understanding the history of to be more engaging to the story side ( thats what I think )

- Techniques -

This is too one of the things I love in games just give me a bad normal samurai and I will earn the moves by my self and i wish its a lot
giving a big tree of techniques would be great and by looking at leveling your character they will deliver
you cannot be a samurai or a ghost just like that ! right ?

- Gears -

wonderful collections they showed .. what makes me excited more is knowing that I have more freedom to customized my character
for my taste of play and the way I treat the world ( honor, asshole or both ) the colors the variety of armors is just exciting
and wish there is more to it when the game out

- Options -

the creativity of Options ( nah I'm just kidding nothing to see here .. xD )

- Exploring -

If you don't know me then I will tell you how horses in games is annoying me with that realistic boring movement just in one condition
that would be when calling for it . calling for a horse in games mean that I need you now ! I'm in danger just appear next to me or come fast , with that gameplay of GOT I was relieved when i saw the horse coming fast to where I want him to be . Another point which i like is playing in a world with a background soundtrack .. this is AC for me when play in Rome and climbing that ruins with that epic soundtrack kicking in the background ! god my soul is flying in Rome at that time ( imagination )

I believe exploring in Tsushima would be more immersive than HZD and much to interact with either with human or animals
and seeing that bear kicking the shit out of that dude ! that was amazing ( I'm not going to visit that place ever till the end of the story and i'm going Ghost on that bear )

When he opened the map there were a lot of unknown places in one area ( think half of the map or more still unknown to us ) but the variety of points of interest is good like a fire you see or a weird shape tree or a mountain or even a fox playing around you
( what does the fox say ? ) beside points marked in the map you still have to explore the world for more I believe . having a big map is not the basic pillar for a successful game and we have many examples ( No odyssey its not you )

the variety of places been shown to us and the weather and all is just a good sign for diversity in this game

cZKZU4L.jpg

- The Combat -

- Jin The Samurai -

I get the cool of " Stand off " to be honorable but tbh I did not like that much
( maybe I'm using it once , it really depends on what you are )
you know the movies where two stand to fight each others while many assholes just watching ? well I dont want that to be like this all the time . I mean try to imagine you choose to stand off against an enemy and before you start , suddenly they will come to you at once and break that stand off shit NOW that would be awesome .

remember when I said Sekiro ? .. well the combat here is giving me Sekiro vibs BUT I'm not fully satisfied for it , I mean it also goes for AC combat slightly . facing more than one but fight only one at a time ! don't like that I just want them to charge on me , upgrading the techniques for multiple deflecting would be cool if it was there . you could see that the one behind Jin is just waiting for his friend to die then he can fight .

the feels for cutting and slicing their hands is just satisfying also I like the choice of respect and pray for the dead when you kill someone that was cool . another cool thing is when you finish killing its up to you either clean your sword by spreading the blood in the ground or just put it back ( assholes will care less of course .. like me )

- Jin The Ghost -

wait!.. just wait! I disliked that sound when you shoot an arrow on the head .. cool stealth but bad sound man .
Ok , here we see ( me ) the Ghost who is presenting stealth as part of the game styles .. its AC with a close camera
and I liked that .. I'm big fan of stealth gameplay no need to explain more to it .. if you look closely when he was about to assassin from above other choice brought in screen next to " Assassinate " .. it was ( Chain Assassinate ) i hope its a cool way to kill ! i dont know

the reaction of environment around you is gorgeous just like when he through that crackers and the horse stopped eating .. thats nice .
also the fear you put in enemies ! i want to do that its cool if it was depend on your reputation around the world whethir you are a good one who spares the lifes of his enemy or an assholes who kill everyone even foxes ( please dont do that )

YLai0fq.jpg

- Photo Mode -

absoultley amazing in every game but here .. its way way better with more advanced choices to edit your pic or a video
  • you can control the wind direction to add more cinematic view​
  • you can change the particles to a diffrent type of leafs​
  • you can select a track music to add it on your creation​

I was very excited when he said all of these will be in Photo mode .. just love it

- The ending -

Yes I didn't forget the Japanese voice track .. I'm in baby , and the special effect " Samurai Cinema " I'm not into it really but absolutely others will love it . So , at the end I wanted to share my thoughts on an early looking to the game which is I really liked but the real review for me and for you guys is when the game is out .. its a must to play for me yeah no game is perfect but overall its good

thank you and wish you a lovely day

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Nice passion man, I'm really excited for the game now too, that looks like its gonna be one of my favourites maybe.

I have some bad news for you though, I think the "chain assassinate" was what he did on the two guys, killing one then the other really fast, if he chose "assassinate" it would've just killed the one guy. Unfortunately I don't think its a cool assassination from above involving an actual chain!

Probably there will be even cooler things in the game though so who knows!

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Nice passion man, I'm really excited for the game now too, that looks like its gonna be one of my favourites maybe.

I have some bad news for you though, I think the "chain assassinate" was what he did on the two guys, killing one then the other really fast, if he chose "assassinate" it would've just killed the one guy. Unfortunately I don't think its a cool assassination from above involving an actual chain!

Probably there will be even cooler things in the game though so who knows!

oh yeah , that’s right how the hell I never think of that lol .. well hope there are more choices

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
So, an alpha review is ... OP describing the video we saw this week?
Am I missing something?

I’m putting my thoughts on everything happened on that gameplay , of course I’m describing what I saw , that’s why it’s Alpha I don’t have the full game to say something new

Last edited:

Miles708

So, an alpha review is ... OP describing the video we saw this week?
Am I missing something?
I thought the same :messenger_grinning_smiling: nevertheless, it has a logic as an opinion of an highly anticipated gameplay footage.
Just... avoid calling it an "alpha review"... first, you're reviewing a trailer, not a game, so there's no "alpha".
Second, it's no "review" either, since an "alpha review" is most commonly referred as a preview.

I'm joking obviously, please don't take me too seriously!

Last edited:
Sucker Punch hits home runs. The gameplay looks great. Love the visual style. Love the setting. Looks like a game I will playthrough multiple times.

Day Zero.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I thought the same :messenger_grinning_smiling: nevertheless, it has a logic as an opinion of an highly anticipated gameplay footage.
Just... avoid calling it an "alpha review"... first, you're reviewing a trailer, not a game, so there's no "alpha".
Second, it's no "review" either, since an "alpha review" is most commonly referred as a preview.

I'm joking obviously, please don't take me too seriously!

Nah man , it’s all good and you know everywhere you will find people who ignore the core of the subject and focus on silly things that add nothing to the thread

Miles708

Sucker Punch hits home runs. The gameplay looks great. Love the visual style. Love the setting. Looks like a game I will playthrough multiple times.

Day Zero.

The only think that sets me off about the game, I don't know how to explain it clearly... it's the rendition of Japan the devs have put out.
I mean, it's a very exagerrated setting, right? There's shrines everywhere and leafs everywhere and foxes waiting for you and you can pray at shrines because you're in Japan and that's what japanese people do.
I actually LOVE the art direction (and I love they're wiling to test themselves with a similar setting), i just hoped it would have just a little bit of subtlety to its overrall presentation. It's a very tourist-y rendition of an exotic locale, but still beautiful.

But it has one-shot skirmishes AND you can pet the fox, so I fear it'll be a day one purchase by default.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
The only think that sets me off about the game, I don't know how to explain it clearly... it's the rendition of Japan the devs have put out.
I mean, it's a very exagerrated setting, right? There's shrines everywhere and leafs everywhere and foxes waiting for you and you can pray at shrines because you're in Japan and that's what japanese people do.
I actually LOVE the art direction (and I love they're wiling to test themselves with a similar setting), i just hoped it would have just a little bit of subtlety to its overrall presentation. It's a very tourist-y rendition of an exotic locale, but still beautiful.

But it has one-shot skirmishes AND you can pet the fox, so I fear it'll be a day one purchase by default.

you know I love the history of Japan and samurai etc .. and creating an open world in that setting I wanted that from a long time and i wish they deliver " Fun to Play "

Day Zero.
Their last full game (Infamous:SS) looked and played really, however it was extremely repetitive after a while, I wouold say that the expansion with the girl was much better, it lasted 4 hours or so, so you did not have time to get annoyed by the game's repetitive nature.

So I hope there is more variety in this one, but being openworld I won't hold my breath, they're all more or less the same.

LostDonkey

It just looked like a Japanese assassins creed and that really disappointed me. I thought I was going to be some original samurai epic story one on one glorious battles but no.

It's like they just copy and pasted the AC formula and called it something else.

There's been like 96 assassins creed games now do we really need another. Even the alert icon is exactly the same.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
It just looked like a Japanese assassins creed and that really disappointed me. I thought I was going to be some original samurai epic story one on one glorious battles but no.

It's like they just copy and pasted the AC formula and called it something else.

There's been like 96 assassins creed games now do we really need another. Even the alert icon is exactly the same.

Agreed on some of the points but don’t rush the judgement, there is one to one battle it have been shown in the old trailer. I was expecting to see some story side but , well we will see ourselves when the game is out

Top Bottom