• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My take on The Matrix Ressurections. (This thread is Spoilers made flesh)

SuperGooey

True, but the gist of it is that Smith (and any agent) can't exist physically in the Matrix without taking over a body, so after he got deleted he should have been gone for good
Smith isn't an agent in the sequels. He's a virus that even the machines couldn't purge. If the Merovingian can survive every version of the Matrix, I suppose it's fair to assume Smith can too. Honestly, like I said, I don't think Smith needed to be in this movie, especially if they couldn't get Hugo Weaving to return, but whatever. It's less of a retcon, and more of the trope that the main villain always ends up returning. For me, it was no harder to accept than Neo and Trinity being revived.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
1. It was REALLY SLOW, fell asleep both times I watched it
2. It was Anti Climactic which made it even more slow
3. Doing this movie without Laurence and Hugo made it feel confusing when you're still using those characters trying to convince us they're the same people.

The spoiler-free review I read before seeing the movie gave me very high expectations. The action was horrible, the special effects which should've always been the saving grace were horrible.

Laurence and Hugo are as integral to the Matrix and Darth Vader and Obi Wan to Star Wars, Lana you're a fucking clown.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
3. Doing this movie without Laurence and Hugo made it feel confusing when you're still using those characters trying to convince us they're the same people.
They weren't trying to convince you it's Laurence's Morpheus and in fact stressed in a perfectly clear manner that it's a whole other character who isn't even human so 🤡

None of the characters are integral to the Matrixverse, hence Animatrix being damn cool in its own right (Even outside Kid's Story and A Detective Story that include Neo/Trinity).

Last edited:

Konnor

1. It was REALLY SLOW, fell asleep both times I watched it
2. It was Anti Climactic which made it even more slow

The spoiler-free review I read before seeing the movie gave me very high expectations. The action was horrible, the special effects which should've always been the saving grace were horrible.

Laurence and Hugo are as integral to the Matrix and Darth Vader and Obi Wan to Star Wars, Lana you're a fucking clown.

Doing it without Laurence made sense since it's been 60 years and the program called Morpheus doesn't actually replace him but Smith, wow, replacing Smith was so goddamn stupid. Not just because it makes little sense in the movie but also because he was played by such a great actor. The moment Smith realized who he was they should have immediately changed him to Hugo Weaving.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Doing it without Laurence made sense since it's been 60 years and the program called Morpheus doesn't actually replace him but Smith, wow, replacing Smith was so goddamn stupid. Not just because it makes little sense in the movie but also because he was played by such a great actor. The moment Smith realized who he was they should have immediately changed him to Hugo Weaving.
I stand by this. Morpheus was fine, and made sense. Hugo Weaving is Smith, I don't think you can adequately replace him, at least not with that guy. When I saw the first trailer I was like "Oh, that's a facsimile of his old boss in the first movie, Rhinehart or whatever. His countenance has none of the menace or sophistication of a Smith analogue. There's something I can't quite place that makes the guy seem...overly frat-boy.

FireFly

Weaving was originally in the movie, but had to leave due to scheduling conflicts.

Jsisto

This would have been amazing! Wouldn’t be surprised if this was the original plan, since others have said Weaving was originally planned to be in the film. Such a missed opportunity. Smith was such an iconic character that I don’t think can be replaced easily.

Majukun

Didn't Reloaded reveal that The One was another system of control meant to keep most people buying into the matrix reality? Neo is The One but a "special" One who goes beyond the propose of the role the Architect/Oracle designed it for.
the n wasn't really as much a control system as a way for the porgrammng to integrate an anomaly into h system, making it a part of the periodical rebooting process of the matrix.
the only special thing neo had was that he made a different choice.
usually anomalies were programmed as heroes of justice, sharing a love for humanity that ended up in them choosing the way to preserve humanity (the reboot)
the difference in neo was that he cared for one human in particular, which screwed up the process..but that's pretty much where his being special (among specials) ends

Anyway, you also need to keep in mind that this is a new version of the Matrix in Resurrections, and it was built by a new architect--the Analyst. The original architect was more about numbers, which would lead his 6 versions of the Matrix to have left over code that would be personified into a person--the anomaly, aka The One. The Analyst built his Matrix in a completely different, more "intuitive" way where Trinity and Neo's feelings act as the source of power for the Matrix. Clearly, this way of running the Matrix must allow for more anomalies maybe because, as the Analyst states--his Matrix is built on feelings, not numbers like the previous versions. It works with the theme of it being a love story between Neo and Trinity, but it also works completely fine as a plot without retconning anything.
I know you are right but this doesn't make this concept any less dumb :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
I watched it earlier. I think all the points of why it's terrible have been covered but I'll say a few choice things.

It's boring, overly long, creatively bankrupt, needlessly convoluted and ruins everything that made the original so special.

The ending was terrible. It totally destroys the entire purpose of Neo. Morphesus looked for Neo. Not Trinity. He almost had himself killed because he knew what and who Neo was. He didn't do that for Trinity.

Also, trying to do a woke shit cover of RATM for the credits? FUCK OFF.

Last edited:

Fbh

Just going to say I didn't think it was that bad. I was mostly entertained and was surprised that for as much as they realied on footage of and callbacks to the original movie it somehow still didn't feel as creatively bankrupt as the new star wars movies, though it still felt like a forced sequel.

But yeah the action and visuals sucked. The Morpheus version without Laurence Fishburne was fine IMO but the new version of Smith was bad and added nothing to the movie.

Also I'm sure it's explained somewhere in this thread but I'm still not sure why Neo/Trinity were needed or why Trinity is now a second "one".

sol_bad

I watched it earlier. I think all the points of why it's terrible have been covered but I'll say a few choice things.

It's boring, overly long, creatively bankrupt, needlessly convoluted and ruins everything that made the original so special.

The ending was terrible. It totally destroys the entire purpose of Neo. Morphesus looked for Neo. Not Trinity. He almost had himself killed because he knew what and who Neo was. He didn't do that for Trinity.

Also, trying to do a woke shit cover of RATM for the credits? FUCK OFF.

A female artist doing a cover of a RATM song is woke these days? Damn man, what's not considered woke these days.

ShadowLag

Also I'm sure it's explained somewhere in this thread but I'm still not sure why Neo/Trinity were needed or why Trinity is now a second "one".

The Analyst is a sentient machine who witnessed Neo's death in the machine city at the end of Revolutions. When Neo's body was taken away, Analyst convinced the mega overlords to let him do experiments on the body in order to more fully understand his One-ness. They agreed, and he revived Neo + rebuilt the broken parts of his body. However, no matter what he tried, he couldn't figure out how to activate Neo's dormant anomalous code (his One powers). Somewhere along the line during his experiments he also brought Trinity back to life in the same way. It was then that he accidentally discovered that when the two were allowed to interact, Neo's code activated, and the pair's power-generation levels went off the charts, making them super ultimate nuclear power plants compared to normal humans. This is really good for this faction of machines, because at some point, a machine civil war broke out due to "resource scarcity". I think it's implied that after the peace deal was made in Revolutions, more humans were allowed to unplug than ever before, eventually causing a big loss in energy output, thus a war between machines that wanted to go back to enslaving people and machines that wanted to maintain the peace commenced.

So, not only is there the promise of understanding and controlling the One for their own purposes, but also the added bonus of mega power with just the two of them. It was such a revelation that the Analyst was then allowed to become the new Architect and create a new version of the Matrix that used Neo & Trinity at the center of its operation. The foundational programming of this version of the Matrix depends entirely on the two being close to each other, generating this immense power for the system, created by the combination of the One's powers with the incredibly strong emotions of true love and despair. Without those two in their special pods, kept close enough but still just out of reach to generate this "anomaly love and suffering power", the Matrix would collapse/crash, and the machines would be forced to revert to the previous version or suffer the catastrophic consequences.

As for why Trinity gets Neo's powers at the end, I don't think the film explains it, but my guess is that the Analyst probably copied the anomalous code from Neo into her (since he has his body and everything), making her just as powerful - which would also ramp up the power output, presumably. If they're both the "One" and both are being endlessly tormented and having their love for each other exploited, that's definitely gonna generate even more power than just Neo himself. It's always been the case that Trinity had the special ability of enabling Neo's powers, ever since the end of Matrix 1, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to assume she had some kind of dormant anomalous code in her this whole time as well.

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
A female artist doing a cover of a RATM song is woke these days? Damn man, what's not considered woke these days.
It is woke when it's because the film pushes that idealolgy of gender swapping and then using a female cover of a famous male song.

As RATM lyrics go: WAKE UP.

I think the biggest shooting themselves in the foot was showing snippets of older Matrix movies throughout. First of all, the camera angles, the director of photography was so good in those. It just amplified how much worse M4 was filmed. Also, this super clean look with no green/blue tint looks way to pedestrian. This is easy stuff to add in p[post production. It would of benefited from a ton of noise like the Batman movies to make it look a little more gritty.

And Neo, a game designer who makes Matrix games....i honestly thought they were trolling the first 30 minutes. Its like a 10yr old made the script.

Davesky

So this new Matrix is a ‘binary’ world created by the polar opposites of Neo and Trinity and the creator or construct was a misogynistic white male? Since when did any of the machines in the original trilogy display or align themselves with any one type of human behaviour? Completely unnecessary. The entire movie is woke at it's core. Insidiously done as well it took me a few days to work out Lanas message she is trying to convey. Keep your politics, ideologies and perverted world views out of cinema please. I would be saying the exact same if the film had an extreme opposite view. People are going to look back at the media created today in the same way we look at 30's Nazi propaganda today.

gioGAF

Just finished watching this. I tried to go in spoiler free so I avoided trailers and any discussions relating to this movie.

Regrettably, the movie is not very good (dare I say bad). The plot is mediocre. Most of what takes place doesn't make much sense, is done in a paper thin manner and doesn't really lead anywhere interesting. The movie is going straight for the nostalgia cash-in. I can't remember the last time a movie literally replayed scenes of its superior predecessor to try to get you to care about what is going on now.

I originally feared this would go down the road of the The Last Jedi, which is not only bad but infuriating to a fan of the George Lucas films. Thankfully it doesn't denigrate beloved characters or aggressively rub "the message" in your face. Neo is generally treated in a respectful manner, though they really wanted to elevate Trinity. I didn't like it, but it wasn't shitting-on-Luke-Skywalker bad.

I thought some of the characters could have been interesting, but there really wasn't any development there. Bugs is the one we see the most, she does a good job but only really serves to facilitate the inane Neo+Trinity arc. The rest of the cast and crew ends up relegated to nameless background characters. I can't really remember their names. Eréndira Ibarra was in this and I couldn't really tell it was her with how unflattering her portrayal was. Opening poster really had to look hard to notice the shorts, I didn't even notice until it was pointed out.

Overall, this movie is a disappointment. The story and the effects are not up to par. The parts I enjoyed were reminiscent of Coming to America 2, which was another subpar outing. They amount to a farewell (hopefully) to some beloved characters without adding anything of worth or even remotely approaching the, dare I say, masterpieces that spawned their existence.

Side note: I have always thought of the Wachowskis as hacks. The Matrix is head and shoulders above anything else they ever produced and they were sued by people who claimed theft of their ideas. Normally I take such matters with a degree of skepticism, everyone wants to get on the gravy train when something succeeds in such a spectacular manner. However, everything else since the original film with their name on it has been average or below average at best. Hacks! In this case, hack!

Konnor

Everything in the original trilogy stated that Neo was special because of his connection to Trinity. This movie developers this idea further. That's what sequels can do, take past concepts and evolve them. This isn't the first for a Matrix sequel. Here are a couple examples of other advancements in lore/plot:

1) We thought the One of was special, and the path of the One would end the war. Turns out, as we learn in Reloaded, the path of the One only leads to the destruction of Zion--the complete opposite of what we learned in the first movie. It was the path that Neo took, which was lead by his specific love for Trinity, that lead to the end of the war.

2) We thought the Oracle was predicting the future, but it turns out she was manipulating everyone so that Trinity and Neo would fall in love.

These aren't retcons, just advancements in the lore. Revelations that I thought were pretty great.

The Oracle certainly wasn't trying manipulate Trinity to fall in love with Neo so that she could transfer her powers, that wasn't even her main goal. The whole transfer power through kiss theory is completely absurd to me, the love Neo had for Trinity made him stronger and special but that's pretty much it.

Anyway, you also need to keep in mind that this is a new version of the Matrix in Resurrections, and it was built by a new architect--the Analyst. The original architect was more about numbers, which would lead his 6 versions of the Matrix to have left over code that would be personified into a person--the anomaly, aka The One. The Analyst built his Matrix in a completely different, more "intuitive" way where Trinity and Neo's feelings act as the source of power for the Matrix. Clearly, this way of running the Matrix must allow for more anomalies maybe because, as the Analyst states--his Matrix is built on feelings, not numbers like the previous versions. It works with the theme of it being a love story between Neo and Trinity, but it also works completely fine as a plot without retconning anything.

I mean, you do have a point there but based on that anything can happen in the new Matrix then so discussing rules about it becomes just pointless now since both it and the movie are such convoluted clusterfucks.

Last edited:

Tschumi

i'm just parachuting in here but i think it's pretty clear that the oracle just predicted trinity would feel love for a dude and that dude would be the one, pretty straight forward.... of course subsequent implications that there was more to this 'love' are clearly tacked on afterthoughts

FunkMiller

One of the single biggest downfalls of all the Matrix sequels is the obsession with bringing back Smith. He should have never returned after the first film, where Neo destroyed him completely, demonstrating his power as The One. They should have concentrated on the conflict between Neo and the machine world.

mortal

Gold Member
Keep your politics, ideologies and perverted world views out of cinema please. I would be saying the exact same if the film had an extreme opposite view.
Wait what? lol

I didn't really enjoy the subtext and meta-narratives in Resurrections either, but this is such a ridiculous thing to say. I mean honestly, think about what you just typed here.
You want films to be what, completely devoid of a director's or writer's creative vision fullstop? What does that even mean, what does that even look like?
Even the first Matrix film is permeated with musings on various ideologies and philosophies from around the world and human history.

You might as well ask for cinema to not exist all then, considering the long complicated history of the medium.

Last edited:

ShadowLag

Since when did any of the machines in the original trilogy display or align themselves with any one type of human behaviour?

Smith, Oracle, Merovingian, Persephone, Trainman, Sati, Rama-Kandra, Kamala, and the Deux Ex Machina itself. Basically every machine or program that mattered to the plot, aside from the normal agents, Seraph, and the Architect. All of them showed strong human traits even from the first movie. The machine AI evolved to reflect its creators, the human race. Programs are able to exist within any shell, be it a digital Matrix one or a real world machine. It makes sense why the Analyst is a jerkbot in Resurrections - we know the machines can have personalities and turn out to be petty assholes just like humans, which is why the whole situation in this movie came about, and it gives us a main bad guy that is relevant to why there's even a sequel in the first place.

I think the "binary" stuff is more referring to the fact that both Neo and Trinity must be caged in this new Matrix for it to work. You can't have the 1 without the 0, and vice versa - they both lose their meaning without the other, just like the system can't continue to function for long if one (or both) of them escapes. Same with light and dark, good and evil, yin and yang etc. - the whole franchise has been drawing parallels about polar opposites since the start, especially with Smith and Neo.

There are definitely some subtle nods to non-binary ways of thinking peppered throughout the script, most likely referring to gender identity, but I took that as more of a wink wink, "I'm trans and people should be okay with that" from Lana than a total agenda club... and I hate pop culture agenda clubs big time, trust me. There are enough anti-woke, anti-agenda messages in this movie that lead me to trust it. For instance, focus-tested, hipster marketing driven sequels and reboots are cringe trash, don't get brainwashed by social media, brainwashing is all around you, etc. etc.

A.Romero

IMO it was fine, not revolutionary like the first one but better than the original 2 sequels except in the action department which is still Reloaded.

I liked the story and the only thing I would have wanted is more action as the series used to be. I liked the metacommentary as well about what is the matrix in the context of discussing the game's sequel.

Something that really stood up to me is that at least 3/4 of the movie seemed to be a parallel from the first one. At least conceptually.

I'm just enjoying watching these cash grab member berry films failing at the box office. Resurrections was predicted to do $60M-$70M at the domestic box office over the 5 day weekend. It did only $22.5M.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Comics should be where these sequels go to. You don't have to worry about actors aging out of roles. Keanu is even writing his own comic book is he not?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm just enjoying watching these cash grab member berry films failing at the box office. Resurrections was predicted to do $60M-$70M at the domestic box office over the 5 day weekend. It did only $22.5M.

Small aside, and it's not directed solely at you, I promise. I hate the term "member berries," and how it seems that as a species we've evolved past the usage of "nostalgia," as a word because of South Park.

In 30 years, we'll be having melancholy memberberric moods. We'll be feeling memberberralic about things. Fuck, my dudes, unsubscribe to The Quartering and buy a thesaurus.

Small aside, and it's not directed solely at you, I promise. I hate the term "member berries," and how it seems that as a species we've evolved past the usage of "nostalgia," as a word because of South Park.

In 30 years, we'll be having melancholy memberberric moods. We'll be feeling memberberralic about things. Fuck, my dudes, unsubscribe to The Quartering and buy a thesaurus.

The hell are you talking about?
Nostalgia is a sentimental remembering of the past, it can be positive or negative. Memberberries perfectly conveys the market-oriented commodification of this emotional attachment for financial gains.

Audiences are sick an tired of boring modern rehashes of beloved movies that add nothing of substance, but instead try to lure people into the cinema by abusing blatant allusions so that braindead franchise zealots can go "wee, I understood that reference".
Even worse Matrix 4 outright splices scenes from the previous trilogy into the movie, constantly reminding you that you'd rather just watch the original.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Nostalgia is a sentimental remembering of the past, it can be positive or negative. Memberberries perfectly conveys the market-oriented commodification of this emotional attachment for financial gains.

Audiences are sick an tired of boring modern rehashes of beloved movies that add nothing of substance, but instead try to lure people into the cinema by abusing blatant allusions so that braindead franchise zealots can go "wee, I understood that reference".
Even worse Matrix 4 outright splices scenes from the previous trilogy into the movie, constantly reminding you that you'd rather just watch the original.

What the hell I'm talking about is that it sounds dumb as hell and there are other, actual words that define similar sentiments. Jesus Christ.

Exactly. IMO, Spider-Man is how you do nostalgia right. Had it's own story to tell, while bringing nostalgic characters back. They didn't dwell or put on a pedestal things from previous films. They mentioned them, sure, but it was just normal banter between characters. They even had some fun with them, while still respecting them. Not focusing in on something from the past and saying to the audience, "Hey, member this?"

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
What the hell I'm talking about is that it sounds dumb as hell and there are other, actual words that define similar sentiments. Jesus Christ.
I agree with strange headache strange headache here. I'm not sure why member berries triggers you so. You can use whatever words you like but member berries were a brilliant idea that perfectly describes what a lot of this modern drivel is. Also, don't put South Park and the quartering in the same sentence as if they are comparable in any way. South Park has been mostly brilliant for decades and the quartering is some boring culture war guy.

season 20 20x6 GIF by South Park

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I agree with strange headache strange headache here. I'm not sure why member berries triggers you so. You can use whatever words you like but member berries were a brilliant idea that perfectly describes what a lot of this modern drivel is. Also, don't put South Park and the quartering in the same sentence as if they are comparable in any way. South Park has been mostly brilliant for decades and the quartering is some boring culture war guy.

season 20 20x6 GIF by South Park

It's just been aped so much in this thread alone, and it just strikes me as lame. I think the same of South Park and The Quartering, don't worry. No discrimination here. Use what words you will, I won't be able to stop you any more than you'll be able to stop me thinking it sounds dunce like. Everyone loses. Everyone wins.

Honestly, the only thing that sounds dumb is you for attacking others because you don't like a trendy word or the show that is derived from, even though it perfectly conveys what people seek to express. 🤷‍♂️
I really don't understand why people are so aggressively defending this movie.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Honestly, the only thing that sounds dumb is you for attacking others because you don't like a trendy word, even though it perfectly conveys what people seek to express. 🤷‍♂️
I really don't understand why people are so aggressively defending this movie.

I'm not attacking anyone, I'm saying a phrase is stupid. And it has nothing to do with defending the movie. I can enjoy the movie and think that phrase is dumb as shit both independently. And I do.

Konnor

One of the single biggest downfalls of all the Matrix sequels is the obsession with bringing back Smith. He should have never returned after the first film, where Neo destroyed him completely, demonstrating his power as The One. They should have concentrated on the conflict between Neo and the machine world.

You're probably right but since they did resurrect him again he should have been played by Weaving.

Weaving was originally in the movie, but had to leave due to scheduling conflicts.

This only reaffirms my theory that the film was quickly and sloppily made. You can also see that in its direction where is sometimes looks like a b-movie, as if they didn't have the time or money to edit it into something that doesn't look like shit at times.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It was a weak film, not horrible, but I also wouldn't call it decent. The fact that it lost the actors who played Morpheus and Agent Smith hurt it pretty bad. I would be more forgiving if both actors were in Matrix 4 as I'm a sucker for these types of returns.

Cattlyst

I saw it. It was disappointing garbage. Seemed like a fan movie at times and fight scenes were dull. So poor. Franchise killer imo. :(

It was a weak film, not horrible, but I also wouldn't call it decent. The fact that it lost the actors who played Morpheus and Agent Smith hurt it pretty bad. I would be more forgiving if both actors were in Matrix 4 as I'm a sucker for these types of returns.
Decent? What about this movie was decent? Not even the action scenes were decent and that was one of the biggest sellers of the first one.

There's not a single redeeming quality about this movie. Not one.

I've seen the 1st Matrix maybe hundreds of times along with the second. The third maybe a few dozen times but this one I don't plan to rewatch ever.

Thank God I didn't waste any money sitting in a cinema to see this trash.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Decent? What about this movie was decent? Not even the action scenes were decent and that was one of the biggest sellers of the first one.

I liked the dojo fight, precisely because it had some of that "story telling through an action scene," that the original (and to a lesser extent 2 and 3) had. Keanu had decent choreography in that one, and the setting was big enough to avoid the camera being up everyone's ass, but small enough to avoid drifting around too much. The fight had a strong narrative purpose, Morpheus trying to get Neo back to a fighting spirit to stabilize his vitals in the real world, with Neo refusing to fight at first, his choreography even going as far as favoring self defense moves instead of high kicks and throat punches and more offensive stuff he usually used. That elbow block/push thing was essentially his trademark in this movie.

That said, the rest of them were so-so, and the Merovingian/Smith fight was a total obstructed cluster fuck. I think the choreography is about on par with the first three, but the less than stellar special effects and the God awful cinematography in the fight scenes hurt it A LOT. The Matrix, the original trilogy, prided itself on being shot like an old Kung fu movie. Lots of panned out, still cameras and long takes, really focusing on the physicality of the actors. This movie reeked of The Bourne Identity styled close ups and shaky cam for fights, and it's weird that John Wick actually had better shot fights.

Melfice7

There's not a single redeeming quality about this movie. Not one.

I've seen the 1st Matrix maybe hundreds of times along with the second. The third maybe a few dozen times but this one I don't plan to rewatch ever.

Thank God I didn't waste any money sitting in a cinema to see this trash.

They used Jefferson Airplane White Rabbit song, its the only redeeming quality

Top Bottom