• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My receiver won't recognize my televsion's optical out for surround sound when using the PS4 or PS5. Is this a common issue and is there a workaround?

I used to run my PS4 though the optical out port into my audio receiver, and surround sound worked just fine. When I learned the PS5 wouldn't have an optical port, I thought I'd be able to just use the optical output port on my television (HDMI from console into television, optical out of television into receiver), but the receiver just won't see it. I end up getting stereo on all speakers rather than surround sound. I've of course already changed the output on the PlayStation to HDMI, made sure the optical out setting was checked on the TV, and I've tried all sorts of settings on the receiver. Nothing seems to work. This happens with both the PS4 and PS5. Has anyone else here been in this situation? Should an HDMI audio extractor with an optical port work? I thought that's essentially what my television is supposed to be doing.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What brand and model is your TV?
Some of us might lead you to a walkthrough on how to do it.
I have a samsung and am using optical out and it works perfecctly fine for the ps5 and worked for my ps4.

Edit: if it is like some Samsung sometimes you need to only activate external speakers even though both should work.But if it worked on another product it should work on you TV.
Another thing is maybe try to update your TV, verify you plugged the optical out in the correct port and that your receiver is set to the good optical in too.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Optical Out on a lot of TV's especially older ones only output 2.1 sound. They don't passthrough proper surround. Unless your TV has arc or earc your going to suffer.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
On my TV it's always sending out the audio via optical, but to actually get stuff like dolby/dts, I need to go into the tv settings and select external audio.
This mutes all audio coming from the tv, but it sends the corrrect signal to the speakers.

Venuspower

In theory optical only supports lossy 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS. Make sure to select one of those
in your PS5 settings menu. I would prefere DTS since it is less lossy and introduces less audio lag.

In practice some TVs do not even support 5.1 DTS/Dolby Digital. Which is why those TVs convert the signal to 2.0. Which sucks, but that is the way it is. Also keep in mind that some TVs do not even support DTS. So some TVs won't even give you audio at all with DTS.

Also: You should consider upgrading to a new AVR.

Last edited:
Optical Out on a lot of TV's especially older ones only output 2.1 sound. They don't passthrough proper surround. Unless your TV has arc or earc your going to suffer.

Thanks for the advice everyone, but I think this is the situation I'm dealing with. It is an older television, and a much older receiver. My guess is that I'll either need to try the HDMI audio extractor I mentioned, or upgrade my television or receiver. Either way, I appreciate the responses.

FrankWza

Thanks for the advice everyone, but I think this is the situation I'm dealing with. It is an older television, and a much older receiver. My guess is that I'll either need to try the HDMI audio extractor I mentioned, or upgrade my television or receiver. Either way, I appreciate the responses.

list your tv and receiver models.

Durask

I used to run my PS4 though the optical out port into my audio receiver, and surround sound worked just fine. When I learned the PS5 wouldn't have an optical port, I thought I'd be able to just use the optical output port on my television (HDMI from console into television, optical out of television into receiver), but the receiver just won't see it. I end up getting stereo on all speakers rather than surround sound. I've of course already changed the output on the PlayStation to HDMI, made sure the optical out setting was checked on the TV, and I've tried all sorts of settings on the receiver. Nothing seems to work. This happens with both the PS4 and PS5. Has anyone else here been in this situation? Should an HDMI audio extractor with an optical port work? I thought that's essentially what my television is supposed to be doing.

This is done on purpose - if you have HDMI in, your TV optical will only output 2 channel stereo. There are some old TVs floating around that do not have this limitation, but otherwise you are out of luck.
Apparently someone somewhere thought that this will thwart piracy or something.

El Muerto

Check your audio settings on the receiver for that specific input. It may be set to analog instead of optical. Also use arc if your TV and receiver support it

elco

I struggled with figuring this out for years. I couldn't even find any discussion around it at the time, but eventually found some discussion suggesting licensing/piracy issues preventing the audio pass through on the TV from HDMI->optical. I think you're out of luck unfortunately. Sounds like it's time we upgrade our receivers.

Anki

Banned
So that’s why I couldn’t get 5.1 output when i connected my pc/laptop with hdmi to TV and output via optical. I can get surround sound only if i use internal tv apps.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If you have an old receiver without HDMI support, I'd really recommend updating that. It's just gonna keep causing you issues, your NEED HDMI on a receiver these days.

On my Panasonic TV I just had to go into the sound menu and set HDMI audio to bitstream. Then set the console to output Dolby Digital over HDMI, connect the receiver via optical out from the TV and voilà, 5.1 audio. My TV will only passthrough Dolby 5.1 tho.

iHaunter

PS5 to your TV,
TV to the Receiver via ARC HDMI Port.
Modern HDMI 2.1 is so far superior to optical in audio quality. I don't understand this optical fetish.

There's literally no way to get Dolby TRU HD or DTS Audio with optical either. Even for an older receiver, I would use HDMI where possible via eARC.

FrankWza

This is done on purpose - if you have HDMI in, your TV optical will only output 2 channel stereo. There are some old TVs floating around that do not have this limitation, but otherwise you are out of luck.
Apparently someone somewhere thought that this will thwart piracy or something.

this isn’t accurate. TVs still output 5.1 DD and DTS surround formats through optical.

FrankWza

list your tv and receiver models.

If you post your models, I’m sure someone can get you set up with something to tide you over until you upgrade. I wouldn’t upgrade a receiver now just for audio. Let the 2.1 situations sort themselves out and wait for models with more than one 2.1 input. Tempest isn’t available over hdmi yet anyway so you’ll only really benefit if your watching movies.

Top Bottom