• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 OS seems to be reserving an additional 100GB

RaySoft

Please read this and understand. Companies still inaccurately display GiB as GB. Sony has a 825 GB drive but its actually only 768 GiB, yet they inaccurately refer it as 768GB. Same with MS, 1 TB(1000 GB) is actually 931 GiB, but MS operating systems refer to GiB as GB as well.
Whenever you see anything with related to file size, keep in mind its actually in MiB, GiB, TiB etc even though OS's display it as MB, GB, TB, etc.
Z8jMVch.jpg
That's not true. The OS handles all files, disks etc in it's true binary sizes.
The only ones that operate in decimal numbers are the drive manufacturers. OS'es can also use different types of filesystems, so all sizes on drives are also unformated size. But i.e. Windows do show correct file/disk/drive/etc sizes though.

Edit: I guess I see what you meant now, that the OS uses MB/GB/TB etc instead of that "new-age" "i" insert;-)
GB = GiB everywhere except manucafcturers stated disk size. (GiB is just to make it easier to understand I guess. I've never even heard of those definitions back in the day)

Last edited:

Allandor

That's not true. The OS handles all files, disks etc in it's true binary sizes.
The only ones that operate in decimal numbers are the drive manufacturers. OS'es can also use different types of filesystems, so all sizes on drives are also unformated size. But i.e. Windows do show correct file/disk/drive/etc sizes though.
Not only the drive manufacturers. Also the console creators have those sizes printed on their boxes instead of the GiB sizes.

Esppiral

1TB of storage was good 8 years ago. Literal 200GB games are coming out and this is all that they give you straight out of the box?

Meanwhile my PC god machine has 8TB's of god storage and 14GB/s read and write god speeds.
How many ps5's does your PC cost?

RaySoft

Not only the drive manufacturers. Also the console creators have those sizes printed on their boxes instead of the GiB sizes.
Because of the drive manufacturers specs. ALL DRIVES uses this way of calculating it (decimal), MS and Sony just uses the specs for the drive. Everyone does this, it's normal. It's been this way in the PC space since the start.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Probably, but the pop up message when you click on Other says thats its used by OS to help run your system and games smoothly. So it's for the OS. The game recording data is already part of the original OS allocation.

E7R369oXEAMQhxh

Seems like a partition to have game data using SSD chips that are programmed to optimize data streaming instead of having all data scattered around.

Banned
I always thought 1000 MB = 1 GB was a rounded approximation to the actual number?

AFAIK the total storage space of a storage device is never the amount listed on the box actually when in use. OS always takes some space, and some space is also lost to the partitions/volumes/formatting.

well the issue is that while you'll find storage devices being advertised with Gigabyte numbers, your actual system you use it on will use Gibibyte not Gigabytes. and 1000 Gigabytes are only 931 Gibibytes

this gets even more confusing because Gigabyte is metric, gibibyte isnt...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The PS4 games are stored in "Other".
Nah, all my PS4 games are stored on the SSD in the Games Section.

E7T0W0OX0AkeQCU

E7T0XIkX0Aktyo0

E7T0WeyWQAw0MDb

Maybe the PS4 games are using up the 100 GB of space in the OTHER section. maybe the PS5 games are using it. Bottomline is that that place is NOT available for installing games, and thats after they have already allocated 100GB for the OS.

People celebrated when PS5 was found to have been using up only 100 GB for the OS while the XSX used up 130 GB. Well, now we know the PS5 OS actually uses 200 GB. It's misleading and straight up bullshit.

Shmunter

expect for cutscenes that block the ingame recording ...

btw, can I shut this "feature" off somehow. It really annoying in some games as this message pops over the screen inside of sequences that want to tell a story (e.g. this was annoying while playing FF 7 Remake).
I literally just used it throughout playing ff7 going back over cutscenes!?!?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

He's probably getting mixed up which games are effectively PS5 games and which just have patches from this tweet, plus he has a shit ton of games on extended storage. I'm going to chalk this down to user not understanding or trying to cause drama based on his other tweets.

E7CVgPnXIAA--Ep

E7CVheRWYAEwb9p

I just did my own tests and this was the outcome. My PS5 had the following installed

Returnal, Godfall, PES, RDR 2, Demon's Souls

nr79Brq.jpg

G823BAu.jpg

56xLrsK.jpg

I then moved PES to the external and 'Other' decreased

yXnplPT.jpg

I then moved RDR2

JjWnOXD.jpg

That took me to 26GB, then if I look at my drive sorted by size, I still have 10GB related to console storage for RDR2 and PES which, if deleted, takes me down to 15GB. Though I didn't delete it because I've no idea if I need it or not. Which is shit I agree.

EN9buR9.jpg

Banned
Isn't XSX OS over 200GB? Probably feature related. Not uncommon.

well the topic really is about why the PS5 deserves that much space. we know why the Xbox does it and it's a fixed amount of space on Xbox, but on PS5 it depends on the installed games. that's the real mystery here

Herr Edgy

I always thought 1000 MB = 1 GB was a rounded approximation to the actual number?

AFAIK the total storage space of a storage device is never the amount listed on the box actually when in use. OS always takes some space, and some space is also lost to the partitions/volumes/formatting.
It's stupid.
Standards dictate that Giga, Mega etc. are prefixes and mean powers of 10. So 1.000, 1.000.000 etc.

Therefore, 1.000 MB = 1 GB.

Historically however, as computers work with powers of 2, not 10, 1 GB was synonymous with 1024 MB (2^10).

Standards that acknowledge this have introduced new prefixes. Mebi, Gibi and so on (I'm assuming the bi stands for binary and indicates power of 2).

Now, companies came in and abuse this gap in knowledge between professionals/enthusiasts and the common folk. They advertise power of ten space - 1 Terabyte, meaning 1.000 gigabytes, not 1.024 gigabytes. While technically correct, people are assuming they get more space than they actually do.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I remember reading that “Other” grows disproportionately as you put PS4 games on your PS5 SSD. So in other words if you out a 50GB PS4 game on your PS5 SSD, the “Other” section may increase by say 30GB, AS WELL as the regular 50GB that the game itself takes up.

I noticed that moving my PS4 games to an external HDD decreased this significantly.

small_law

Part of it might be reserved to cache video captures. I'll look at mine, but keeping the recording time short might help.

FranXico

"Other" contains miscellaneous files, that are used to run anything. It expands and shrinks according to usage. Think of it as the TMP folder.

If your system needs storage for installing games, the oldest temporary files, streaming cache, etc. get deleted right away.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

The "Other" is a space reserved for downloading and installing game patches. I don't know if you guys remember this but on PS4 even if you had enough storage to download a patch the console still required double that amount. So if you didn't have enough space the console would tell you to delete some games and then you would finally be able to patch your game. Their solution for PS5 was to reserve some space in this "Other" category which allows the console to always have space left to patch your games without bothering you with error messages. The size of the "Other" storage depends on the size of the latest patch the game received and PS4 games patch system is a bit different and requires much more compared to PS5 games, so that's why the Other gets so much bigger when you have PS4 games installed.

Last edited:

Calverz

It’s very simple really….the dash is all in 4K. It runs pretty quick. The longer you have the ps5 the more space that gets allocated. My guess is it’s storage for tile/app covers etc

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
whereas Series X takes 222GB from the amount original amount of 1024 GB.
I'm pretty sure the reported sizes for storage are in 1000, because GB is base 10, 1024 would be base 2 and thus not GB but GiB.
So the "1TB" ssd in the xsx isn't 1024GiB, it's 1000GB, which equals 931 GiB.

The GiB is the size that is reported by electronic devices, but they list it as GB instead.
In short
GB = on the box/marketing in base 10
GiB = the storage you actually see reported in base 2 machines, even when listed as GB.

Kenpachii

Its only a problem if you have slow internet or a data cap.

If you have 1gbit download speed with no download cap. half a tb is fine.

Last edited:

SpokkX

Erhm - not sure how that relates (PSP supported quick resume, among other things), but even if it were true, how do we know PS5 doesn't run under hypervisor? PS3 did.
No ps4 and ps5 uses no hypervisor. they games run native in the os (based on a fork of free BSD)

quickresume can store multiple saved states exactly like you can snspshot a vm in hyper-v. Sony does not have this tech and it must be built in from the start (you cannot patch this in and expect current

this is not possible when the app runs native in the os (wont work with windows games either)

this hypervisor also makes it easier to do stuff like fps boost - really smart move by ms

MacReady13

More to the point- where the HELL is our extra storage for PS5 games? When are we getting our superfast 1/2 TB storage solutions for PS5's?

No ps4 and ps5 uses no hypervisor. they games run native in the os (based on a fork of free BSD)

quickresume can store multiple saved states exactly like you can snspshot a vm in hyper-v. Sony does not have this tech and it must be built in from the start (you cannot patch this in and expect current

this is not possible when the app runs native in the os (wont work with windows games either)

this hypervisor also makes it easier to do stuff like fps boost - really smart move by ms

Are you sure of this?

Banned
Erhm - not sure how that relates (PSP supported quick resume, among other things), but even if it were true, how do we know PS5 doesn't run under hypervisor? PS3 did.

pretty sure only the PSPgo supported "quick resume", and only for a single game. it also wasn't really quick resume and more like slow resume... I never used that it's way too slow and not worth using

Umbral

Ps5 total storage capacity is laughably bad , u can literally put coldwar and mw in it and it would take more than 90 percent of the storage , maybe after this 100 gb os overtake they both won't fill in the internal drive
COD’s install size is obscene and they should have their game removed from the PSN store for it.

I have many other games on PS5 that became smaller than their PS4 versions. I would like those expansion cards but I don’t need them just yet.

I have a Samsung 980 Pro 1tb waiting in the wings for this exact reason. The PS5 does a great job of compressing install sizes but I am that weirdo that needs everything installed. I hate waiting for a game to install when I finally have time to play it.

I thought it was the trophy videos the PS5 saves, but this is too much storage being taken up for it to be just that. Whatever this issue is I hope it's figured out soon.

Raonak

Banned
It's the OS and caching of your list of installed games (icon, background, etc). Seems pretty normal.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
pretty sure only the PSPgo supported "quick resume", and only for a single game. it also wasn't really quick resume and more like slow resume... I never used that it's way too slow and not worth using
Took around 8-10seconds to resume. Slower than a Series console (storage on PSP wasn't that fast) but it's only a few seconds more, and easily 5-10x faster than cold-booting games on PSP was.
It was released on Go, but CFW unlocked it on all models (it shipped disabled on other PSPs since they didn't have built-in storage).

PS3 Game-OS was a fork of that too - but again, any evidence on PS4/5 configuration?

Well in windows you'd hibernate the whole OS - but that's the thing, consoles fence-off non-gaming stuff, Sony's been running theirs that way since the PSP (technically PS2, but the OS footprint there was tiny).

playXray

Disks haven't used 1024 as 1gb in ages. 1tb is literally 1000gb now.
That’s not quite true. 1TB is 1024GB by any data storage standard. Most drive manufacturers use a metric definition for marketing purposes, but they have to be clear on the box that this isn’t an accurate reflection of the actual capacity and have to display the real capacity alongside.

SpokkX

Are you sure of this?

Yes :)

do you know what a hypervisor is?

basically it is a slim os that can run several other machines. Xbox has a hypervisor that runs games in one virtual machine and the ui in another virtual machine

ps4/ps5 does NOT use this setup. Games and main ui run in the same os (not in two separate virtual machines)

Dream-Knife

Banned
That’s not quite true. 1TB is 1024GB by any data storage standard. Most drive manufacturers use a metric definition for marketing purposes, but they have to be clear on the box that this isn’t an accurate reflection of the actual capacity and have to display the real capacity alongside.
International standard is decimal and not binary now though. It's been this way since 2006ish.

Yes :)

do you know what a hypervisor is?

basically it is a slim os that can run several other machines. Xbox has a hypervisor that runs games in one virtual machine and the ui in another virtual machine

ps4/ps5 does NOT use this setup. Games and main ui run in the same os (not in two separate virtual machines)

Thanks, but you do not need to lecture me on the basics of programming and computer design. Before my current work in neuroscience and bioinformatics, I spent more time thinking about console technology, 3D in general and Cell, most specifically, than you can imagine.

That said, as Faf noted, you've provided no evidence to contradict my position that PS5 is running an abstraction layer/hypervisor with 1 OS to provide abstraction over it's hardware. There would be several benefits, especially in maintaining compatibility going forward (among performance and various IHVs) and little drawbacks. Indeed, I provided a link with PS5 hv calls. You have provided nothing.

The Microsoft model is one way, but not the only way to design a system.

Most Sincerely,

SpokkX

Thanks, but you do not need to lecture me on the basics of programming and computer design. Before my current work in neuroscience and bioinformatics, I spent more time thinking about console technology, 3D in general and Cell, most specifically, than you can imagine.

That said, as Faf noted, you've provided no evidence to contradict my position that PS5 is running an abstraction layer/hypervisor with 1 OS to provide abstraction over it's hardware. There would be several benefits, especially in maintaining compatibility going forward (among performance and various IHVs) and little drawbacks. Indeed, I provided a link with PS5 hv calls. You have provided nothing.

The Microsoft model is one way, but not the only way to design a system.

Most Sincerely,
Microsofts hypervisor setup has been detailed since 2013 - it was in use on Xbox One even (so basically quick resume is ”possible” on Xbox One but with the slow cpu and mechanical hd - it would take minutes to switch games)

Sonys Orbis OS (that ps5 is based on) has never had this setup mentioned ever. So sure i have no evidence games DONT run in its own VM, but there is no evidence either.

But think about this logically - do you really think Sony would develop their OWN hypervisor tech? They are not in the business of virtualization unlike Microsoft which has hyper-v (azure is built upon virtualization).

Sony could PAY for licenses to use hyper-v or vmware tech i guess (and only the best hypervisor tech would work here since speed would be critical) - but knowing Sony do you really think they would?

Last edited:
Top Bottom