• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 OS seems to be reserving an additional 100GB

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Saw this being shared on twitter and went to check my console and wow, I did not expect 95 GBs to be reserved in the "Other" section. I'd recommend everyone check their OTHER section to confirm. Twitter thread is full of people posting the Other sections taking up anywhere from 30 to 100 GBs.

We already only get 660 GB out of the 825 GB SSD. I get that some of the 825 GB was always going to be lost for reasons too technical for me. Xbox's 1 TB SSD was pretty much a 950GB SSD. I also understood why they were reserving close to 100GB for the OS. Xbox does this too and you have somewhere around 850 GB available for games and apps on the XSX. All fine.

But what I dont understand is just does the OS need this OTHER space on top of the 100 GB or so they have already reserved for the OS before we even received our console.

E7RvhLDXMA0pGUD

Here is the twitter thread.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Probably reserves a lot of it as cache area for recording, game switcher, store assets, etc. If that's the case and we don't use the feature it would be nice to reclaim some of it by turning features off.
Probably, but the pop up message when you click on Other says thats its used by OS to help run your system and games smoothly. So it's for the OS. The game recording data is already part of the original OS allocation.

E7R369oXEAMQhxh

Zones

PS5 is 667 GB while Series X is 802 GB.

Meaning PS5 had taken / reserved a total of 158 GB (from the base 825 GB), whereas Series X takes 222GB from the amount original amount of 1024 GB.

The reason Xbox is doing worse here is due to the system taking ~ 100 GB for quick resume purpose specifically. Hence, if you want a feature like that on PS5, expect the same kind of extra space being reserved by the OS.

That extra ‘other’ space taken here (as shown from the above picture) surely is not related towards a quick resume like feature on PS5, so I am guessing it’s either a bug, leftover uninstalled data, or extra data cache for your games which should be fixed through completely formatting the system.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah it’s interesting. It’s likely a cache that Sony uses with games, maybe it actually decompresses some data for instance (it may not always be as efficient to transfer and decompress data in the I/O complex maybe for some data?)

But it’s not like a behind the scenes cache that isn’t used when Hd space is low and can be cleared if room is needed (slowing down some operations), it’s a reserved cache that uses a different amount per installed game.

SpokkX

Meaning PS5 had taken / reserved a total of 158 GB (from the base 825 GB), whereas Series X takes 222GB from the amount original amount of 1024 GB.

The reason Xbox is doing worse here is due to the system taking ~ 100 GB for quick resume purpose specifically. Hence, if you want a feature like that on PS5, expect the same kind of extra space being reserved by the OS.

That extra ‘other’ space taken here (as shown from the above picture) surely is not related towards a quick resume like feature on PS5, so I am guessing it’s either a bug, leftover uninstalled data, or extra data cache for your games which should be fixed through completely formatting the system.
A quick resume feature is not really possible on ps5. It is only possible if the games run in a hypervisor - and it does on Xbox, not on ps5

it is basically microsofts hyper-v virtualization tech. Ps5:s storage is used for caching/temp storage of some kind probably (like downloading/unpacking stuff)

Ps5 total storage capacity is laughably bad , u can literally put coldwar and mw in it and it would take more than 90 percent of the storage , maybe after this 100 gb os overtake they both won't fill in the internal drive

Dream-Knife

Banned

Disks haven't used 1024 as 1gb in ages. 1tb is literally 1000gb now.

Zathalus

That is not how space is calculated on a SSD. 825GB is actually 768GB of usable space, while the Xbox is 932GB. So the OS size is 101GB for the PS5 and 130GB for the XSX.

TBiddy

1024 GB advertised equals 931 GB usable. That means the SX only reserves 129 GB.

The PS5 has 825 GB advertised which equals about 768. A reservertation of about 101 GB. The difference between the amount reserved is only 28 GB and not almost 70 GB as you write.

edit: too slow.

Last edited:
Disks haven't used 1024 as 1gb in ages. 1tb is literally 1000gb now.
I always thought 1000 MB = 1 GB was a rounded approximation to the actual number?

AFAIK the total storage space of a storage device is never the amount listed on the box actually when in use. OS always takes some space, and some space is also lost to the partitions/volumes/formatting.

Last edited:

The Shepard

Ps5 total storage capacity is laughably bad , u can literally put coldwar and mw in it and it would take more than 90 percent of the storage , maybe after this 100 gb os overtake they both won't fill in the internal drive

Ps5 games in general are smaller than ps4 and xbox games. Some by quite a lot. Cod is just massive on everything.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I have like 10 games installed, and I'm not even close to filling it up. And it's not just small games, I have Miles, Ratchet, Souls, Control, etc, on there. So for me it's perfectly sufficient so far, and it's going to be for quite some time. I don't really need more games installed at the same time.

What's laughable is how absolutely massive those games you mention are.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I always thought 1000 MB = 1 GB was a rounded approximation to the actual number?

AFAIK the total storage space of a storage device is never the amount listed on the box actually when in use. OS always takes some space, and some space is also lost to the partitions/volumes/formatting.

A real terabyte is 1024gb, but the naming has been normalized to 1000gb is a terabyte.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I won't argue about that and I hope we'll get bigger SSD versions in the future, but at least Sony seems to be noticing the problem and trying to make their own new games smaller (and if possible third-party releases like Control as well).

RaySoft

Disk manufactures measure disk sizes in decimal numbers, not binary. So 1 TB = 1000 GB (1 000 000 MB), instead of 1024 GB.

What do you think is more likely?
1. Sony fucked up and couldn't understand why they suddenly "lost" SSD space, so they just gathered it all under the "Other" umbrella and called it a day.
2. It actually has a significant meaning that we just don't have the full context of yet?

It could be lot's of stuff. It could be used as a scratchpad for games/apps, used by PS4 backwards compatibility (even if the PS4 game itself is installed on an external hdd), suspend storage, crash reports etc. or maybe a collection of all those things and more?

The point being, never assume something is wrong/broken just because you don't fully understand something.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Quick resume is part of reserved storage, saves, videos, trophies which take a lot of space by default (there's a video for each trophy, you can disable it) it add up.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
A quick resume feature is not really possible on ps5. It is only possible if the games run in a hypervisor - and it does on Xbox, not on ps5
Erhm - not sure how that relates (PSP supported quick resume, among other things), but even if it were true, how do we know PS5 doesn't run under hypervisor? PS3 did.

kingfey

Banned
Maybe they are doing huge OS upgrade? That is my guess, why the storage seems to be bigger. Or I could be wrong.

jhjfss

Please read this and understand. Companies still inaccurately display GiB as GB. Sony has a 825 GB drive but its actually only 768 GiB, yet they inaccurately refer it as 768GB. Same with MS, 1 TB(1000 GB) is actually 931 GiB, but MS operating systems refer to GiB as GB as well.
Whenever you see anything with related to file size, keep in mind its actually in MiB, GiB, TiB etc even though OS's display it as MB, GB, TB, etc.
Z8jMVch.jpg

Last edited:

crozier

I just moved Control PS5 over from external drive cold storage and it freed up an extra 1GB in Other. Take from that what you will.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Video or link? Quick resume between different games?
PSP popularity waning before YT became big makes videos hard to come by, especially since this was introduced in the Go:

Amusingly - while Sony made it Go exclusive, the feature was later unlocked on all models by custom-FW, and extended to support unlimited number of states (storage capacity allowing) - and yes it works for saving state on the same game multiple times too(obviously platform-holder really don't want to allow that).

reksveks

PSP popularity waning before YT became big makes videos hard to come by, especially since this was introduced in the Go:

Amusingly - while Sony made it Go exclusive, the feature was later unlocked on all models by custom-FW, and extended to support unlimited number of states (storage capacity allowing) - and yes it works for saving state on the same game multiple times too(obviously platform-holder really don't want to allow that).
Pretty cool. Didn't know that.

Allandor

Saw this being shared on twitter and went to check my console and wow, I did not expect 95 GBs to be reserved in the "Other" section. I'd recommend everyone check their OTHER section to confirm. Twitter thread is full of people posting the Other sections taking up anywhere from 30 to 100 GBs.

We already only get 660 GB out of the 825 GB SSD. I get that some of the 825 GB was always going to be lost for reasons too technical for me. Xbox's 1 TB SSD was pretty much a 950GB SSD. I also understood why they were reserving close to 100GB for the OS. Xbox does this too and you have somewhere around 850 GB available for games and apps on the XSX. All fine.

But what I dont understand is just does the OS need this OTHER space on top of the 100 GB or so they have already reserved for the OS before we even received our console.

E7RvhLDXMA0pGUD

Here is the twitter thread.

Sry to correct you a bit, but you get 667GiB of 768GiB (or 825GB). So the OS reserves around 90GiB from the SSD.

Some users saw increases of the "Other"-part everytime they installed a game, but that was fixed (as far as I know) short after the launch. But maybe the OS reserves also space for pre-downloads and "other" stuff ;)
Maybe it is some kind of storage for different API-versions, so a game must not always redeliver those files but instead get's a shared instance of the api version it needs (something like that).

Last edited:

Shmunter

I know that PS5 creates some kind of file list index on the ssd off all the games you have on USB also. That also adds up.

Outside of that, man I love the no nonsense game recording on the console. Often times I miss a cutscene etc. I just press share, save out how ever big a recording I want and literally review my game, then just delete. You could do it on PS4 but the lethargic speed of it all made it too cumbersome, no longer an issue.

Allandor

I know that PS5 creates some kind of file list index on the ssd off all the games you have on USB also. That also adds up.

Outside of that, man I love the no nonsense game recording on the console. Often times I miss a cutscene etc. I just press share, save out how ever big a recording I want and literally review my game, then just delete. You could do it on PS4 but the lethargic speed of it all made it too cumbersome, no longer an issue.
expect for cutscenes that block the ingame recording ...

btw, can I shut this "feature" off somehow. It really annoying in some games as this message pops over the screen inside of sequences that want to tell a story (e.g. this was annoying while playing FF 7 Remake).

Last edited:
Top Bottom