• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My next gen impressions so far

I debated on whether to make this post in the PS5 OT but I feel like this is a bit more general to gaming as opposed to PS5 specifically.

So last night I got a few hours in the following titles

Astro Playroom - I was absolutely floored of how good this free "tech" demo was. All the throwbacks to old PS days almost brought a tear to my eye but what impressed me the most was how fast everything would load when you would switch levels or go to new areas and of course the controller itself. Using the bow or climbing as the robot monkey was kind of incredible. It's a weird feeling to describe but I kind of wish now there would be a full blown out game at some point in the future lol

Demon's Souls - not even sure where to start. Streamed this last night for a few hours and had an amazing time. The buttery smooth FPS and the beautiful modified Shadow of Colossus engine absolutely floored me. Blueprint at this point is the best studio hands down when it comes to full blown remakes. Its incredible how the game felt exactly like the original but just completely on crack and steroids. I really have no complaints about it. The only bad thing that the game had was the additional of "cinematic" mode that barely had any changes and made the game dip into constant 20 fps. Absolutely pointless.

Warhammer: Chaosbane - was not very impressed at all. The resolution and 60 fps was nice but the games horrific art style and flat lighting just did not feel good. This is more of the developers and design choices fault over the next gen capabilities themselves. Game felt good to play but sadly I dont think the next gen port will help it much since the game itself is a repetitive pile of doo doo. And yes, I know loot/arpg games are all supposed to be repetitive (massive Diablo fan here) but this is the NOT FUN repetitive.

Overall - I think if we compare PS4 to PS5 launch the offerings in PS5 are far better than of PS4. This generational leap feels far far better and I think the biggest change are not only the visuals, resolution and performance but the loading times are absolutely a god sent. I almost threw out my PS4 Pro out the window last night. That is how much I hate that pile of garbage hardware, worst product Sony ever produced. Sorry I am salty because PS4 was good enough but PS4 Pro felt like a cheap shot at the superior Xbox One X at the time and felt like a half assed attempt.

Either way, I am very happy so far with my PS5. If Demon's Souls are the type of games to expect as the first gen PS5/XSX titles in terms of visuals and performance then i am absolutely terrified too see what studios like Naughty Dog and Playground Games will do with the new hardware (Looking at you Fable)

Now to snipe a Series X and ill be fully next gen ready.

What are you impressions so far as far as the leap goes?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nice impressions OP, glad you are happy! I think a lot of console gamers are going to feel the same, specially regarding fluidity and load times.

You make no sense. PS4 pro came out one year earlier and 100$ cheaper.
Yeah, and some places even had deals for it. I got my pro in exchange for 100€ and my old ps4.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
785898.jpg

While you may bring up a valid point, that does not change the fact that it was a half assed attempt. Instead of trying to get it to $400 what they should of done was make it powerful and release it in same year as Xbox One X. Felt like it was rushed out just to get easy money, while providing crappy performance. I would not even have minded if it did cost $50 higher such as $450 or something. There is practically almost no different in most games. Just seemed like a bad value to me.

Stuart360

I dont know if this counts but i have literally just been playing Godfall on PC for the last hour.
Beautiful looking but shallow as hell. I was bored after 45mins sadly.
Ran at 1080p/60 'Epic' settings as well, which surprised me for a 'next gen' game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I dont know if this counts but i have literally just been playing Godfall on PC for the last hour.
Beautiful looking but shallow as hell. I was bored after 45mins sadly.
Ran at 1080p/60 'Epic' settings as well, which surprised me for a 'next gen' game.
Yeah, nothing groundbreaking out there if you have been playing on PC for the last years.

I guess we'll still need to wait a year or so until the "wow"-inducing games arrive.

Top Bottom