• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My newfound apathy for everything other than Soulsborne games is worrying

Skifi28

Despite what gaf would tell you it is not for everyone. I put like 20 hours in and bailed, this is just not my genre, I do not find it interesting.
It probably is for me, I've loved all the previous games. I just can never find the time for something 10 times the scale of a game like Bloodbourne or Dark Souls 3 which took me 100 hours each.

93xfan

Banned
47fdf9c41990be19d1298ce971c967ff.gif
I appreciate you not talking with your mouth full

Last edited:

Fbh

Welcome to the club.
I still enjoy other games a lot but to me From Soft releases are just on another tier to everything else. They are the only dev that still gives me that level of hype and excitement I used to feel for more games

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You went from playing CoD and AAA western games to playing actual good games.

Good for you OP. Hope you keep trying out new things that are outside your comfort zone, I'm sure you'll be glad to do so.

Trust me, OP, you are not the first person to experience this. Fromsoft's games basically brought me back into gaming when I thought I was getting completely and utterly bored by the hobby. For me, playing a Fromsoft game for the first time, felt like Rowdy Piper putting on his sunglasses in They Live. Fromsoft totally exposed so much of what was wrong to me in gaming and, on occasion, I still have the same reactions to modern day gaming that you're describing.

Thief1987

I'm playing these games since Demon's Souls and for me souls-like become very tired and annoying trope. Elden Ring being an epitome of stagnant mediocrity completely spoiled my perception of this template.

GymWolf

What's your favorite genre?
I have a couple of favourite genres but i never had any of these problems.

Does op only play third person action rpg? Why not playing an fps, a tps, an isometric game, a platform, and rpg, anything else?

It always sound absurd to me playing a game and being stuck because you don't like anything else after that, i can understand if someone only play one single genre, but who the fuck does that in here?

Also, i'm pretty slow when i play souls games, my shortest run is probably something like 50 hours at minimum, usually is around 80-100 hours so after all that time on a single game, i surely don't want another one right after...

Maybe it's because i play both AAA, AA and indies so i have way more choice, but yeah, i don't know dude...

I think it depends on the person, some people really think that souls games are the pinnacle of gaming, perfect games in all aspects, better than sliced fleshlight etc., For me they are just another great saga with big plus and big downsides, i can live without playing souls everyday.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I love Souls style games but not to the extent of putting me off other games.
Having said that, Eldern Ring really did impress me, and felt a level above other games i have played over the last 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:
I have a couple of favourite genres but i never had any of these problems.

Does op only play third person action rpg? Why not playing an fps, a tps, an isometric game, a platform, and rpg, anything else?

It always sound absurd to me playing a game and being stuck because you don't like anything else after that, i can understand if someone only play one single genre, but who the fuck does that in here?

Also, i'm pretty slow when i play souls games, my shortest run is probably something like 50 hours at minimum, usually is around 80-100 hours so after all that time on a single game, i surely don't want another one right after...

Maybe it's because i play both AAA, AA and indies so i have way more choice, but yeah, i don't know dude...

I think it depends on the person, some people really think that souls games are the pinnacle of gaming, perfect games in all aspects, better than sliced fleshlight etc., For me they are just another great saga with big plus and big downsides, i can live without playing souls everyday.
I'm just trying to explain why the OP would feel this way, and I think you knew that since you didn't answer the genre question directly. What are your top 5 games?

hemo memo

Gold Member
What I’ve played most was Sekiro and Elden Ring but not as much and the reason is myself as those games stress the shit out of me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Try Returnal. Not the same thing at all obviously, but it does have a similar "die and try again, over and over, and eventually prevail" thing. And it's just an awesome game.

GymWolf

I'm just trying to explain why the OP would feel this way, and I think you knew that since you didn't answer the genre question directly. What are your top 5 games?
I'm shit at making lists, even short ones.

Mgs1 on psx and ff7 vanilla are my fixed number 1 and 2, but i admit that there is probably some nostalgia goggles going on with these 2.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I had this syndrome for over 3 years when I played nothing but Dark Souls 1, 2 & 3 and Bloodborne. Didn't enjoy any other games at all. They all felt uninspired and boring. Then I woke up one day and it was gone. Not even Elden Ring, being a bonafide masterpiece and all, has put me into that state again so I guess I'm cured.

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I figure it's a phase. You will come out of it in due time. Afterward you will be able to enjoy other games. On the plus side, your wallet will probably thank you given that there are few titles in this genre worth checking out and you will get more than your money's worth given your investment.

Rubytux

Neo Member
Talking about DS 1, how do you do more damage as a Thief?

I have chosen the Master Key as object, but when i face low class enemies, i have to hit them like 10-15 times to kill them.

When facing the Dragón, i only do like 2 points of damage per hit.

How can i do more damage when you start Dark Souls ?

DragonNCM

So, I had never played a single Soulborne game up until Elden Ring came out. I was the typical CoD, Battlefield, occasional Sony exclusive type gamer. My friends all said I needed to try Elden Ring, but I put it off for at least a month. I was terrified of the Souls series. Back in March I finally bought it and put in 120+ hours over the course of 4 weeks. I was absolutely obsessed, the game completely consumed me. Everything else I tried to play after that was boring and dull, zero excitement or enjoyment in anything I played afterwards.

Fast forward to May, nothing seemed interesting at all so I decide to try Dark Souls 3. Same fucking thing happens, the game absolutely takes over my life and within a week I've got the platinum and a serious case of whiplash. A few more weeks go by having no idea what to play and I decide to give Demon's Souls a shot. Forty-four hours later, I've got another platinum and can't stop searching YouTube for Demon's Souls lore videos... what the actual fuck is wrong with me!?

Once again I can't find anything to play that interests me after Demon's Souls, I decide to buy Sekiro and it's the same damn thing. Is this what I've become now? Is this the journey all FromSoft fanboys take?
Same thing happened to me........first game I played from Fromsoftware was Elden ring & after that I can't play anything. Every game I play feels & plays like shit, then I started with DS3 & got hooked in like with Elden ring. Insane how elden ring gameplay & world piss on any other adventure game.

Top Bottom