• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My newfound apathy for everything other than Soulsborne games is worrying

Jebron

So, I had never played a single Soulborne game up until Elden Ring came out. I was the typical CoD, Battlefield, occasional Sony exclusive type gamer. My friends all said I needed to try Elden Ring, but I put it off for at least a month. I was terrified of the Souls series. Back in March I finally bought it and put in 120+ hours over the course of 4 weeks. I was absolutely obsessed, the game completely consumed me. Everything else I tried to play after that was boring and dull, zero excitement or enjoyment in anything I played afterwards.

Fast forward to May, nothing seemed interesting at all so I decide to try Dark Souls 3. Same fucking thing happens, the game absolutely takes over my life and within a week I've got the platinum and a serious case of whiplash. A few more weeks go by having no idea what to play and I decide to give Demon's Souls a shot. Forty-four hours later, I've got another platinum and can't stop searching YouTube for Demon's Souls lore videos... what the actual fuck is wrong with me!?

Once again I can't find anything to play that interests me after Demon's Souls, I decide to buy Sekiro and it's the same damn thing. Is this what I've become now? Is this the journey all FromSoft fanboys take?

Last edited:

Dynasty8

I get where you're coming from. From Soft is one of the few devs that understands gamers aren't complete fucking idiots and can figure stuff out on their own and also conquer their struggles by "gitting gud". Personally I've never found their games to be insanely difficult, but the challenge definitely provides a thrill that other games lack.

It also helps that they do really, really well with combat and level design...and without all that cringyness in today's era of games.

That perfect combination attracts a lot of gamers. It's hard to go to other games after that...where my hand is being held for hours, where the game is so easy that I can be mindless and still win, along with mediocre combat, level design and cringe. Perfect example would be a recent game I played (Kingdom Hearts 3).

Fahdis

Ok so? You find other things boring for now. Just waiting till you get off the Souls high, you'll be right back to Miniclip and Hentai games.

Pejo

This game should give you a new flavor on JP developed western dark fantasy. If you haven't played the first one, you can find it cheap and it sounds like it will be right up your alley.

10_Years_of_Dragon_s_Dogma_12_14_screenshot.0.png

Rubytux

Neo Member
I loved the Souls games, but i couldnt beat the first boss in the Switch port.

May be it was the control of the Lite, may be it was me, but it frustrated me by a lot.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yes. This was me in 2011 and after... dark souls destroyed other games for me.
Thankfully you have Des(incredible ps5 remake), ds1,2,3, BB, Sekiro too.
Do not forget DS3 dlc and BB dlc. IT IS AMAZING.
And don't skip Dark Souls 2. It is my fav personally but it's widely considered as worst. I recommend original non sotfs version but sotfs is ok. DLC is ass

Last edited:

TheGecko

Banned
Very similar to how COD and Fifa players are. I do class souls games as the same soulless junk.

Only difference is the cod and fifa guys can keep competing where as souls games when completed are over.

I am having a similar experience, I just can't find any interest in games anymore after Elden Ring. Not sure if it's anything to do with Elden Ring but maybe it's more to do with the idea that the style of open world game in which is was based has been more or less 'perfected' with Elden Ring and so I want something new out of the next game I play. I guess that will change when I get in the mood to play games again but I have a feeling I'm not going to be interested in playing them again for a while.

Moonjt9

Literally me after every souls game. Souls ruined gaming for me lmao. I do still enjoy other games a LOT but it takes a period of weeks to get over the post-souls mood

Sorne

Same. And I'm personally happy about it. Gives me more time to do other stuff, and only play a lot when quality games release :))))

OZ9000

Banned
So, I had never played a single Soulborne game up until Elden Ring came out. I was the typical CoD, Battlefield, occasional Sony exclusive type gamer. My friends all said I needed to try Elden Ring, but I put it off for at least a month. I was terrified of the Souls series. Back in March I finally bought it and put in 120+ hours over the course of 4 weeks. I was absolutely obsessed, the game completely consumed me. Everything else I tried to play after that was boring and dull, zero excitement or enjoyment in anything I played afterwards.

Fast forward to May, nothing seemed interesting at all so I decide to try Dark Souls 3. Same fucking thing happens, the game absolutely takes over my life and within a week I've got the platinum and a serious case of whiplash. A few more weeks go by having no idea what to play and I decide to give Demon's Souls a shot. Forty-four hours later, I've got another platinum and can't stop searching YouTube for Demon's Souls lore videos... what the actual fuck is wrong with me!?

Once again I can't find anything to play that interests me after Demon's Souls, I decide to buy Sekiro and it's the same damn thing. Is this what I've become now? Is this the journey all FromSoft fanboys take?
Just go play Doom Eternal instead.

tibia

Neo Member
This is a real gamer illness that needs professional research! I'm on the same boat.

The shield-up-and-explore-because-you-might-get-killed-in-two-hits-or-find-valuable-items is an addiction to me. The games with spam combat where you can take 100 hits or do 1,000 hit combos just bore me to death. Zero risk-reward thought involved.

This year Ive: Platinumed Ff8, Elden Ring, Demons Souls Ps3, Demons Souls Ps5, almost re-plat Bloodborne (chalice dungeon Amygdala made me quit), rebeat Ds1 and Ds2. I cant get into Scarlet Nexus, Returnal, Tales of Arise, the new Kirby, etc.

I seriously think theres something about the gamble involved in decision making that is addicting. The weight of combat decisions leads to a rewarding feeling when you successfully time your attacks, blocks, and parries. This feeling of success/progress is not the same in other games.

We are stuck waiting for FROM games and their clones.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just be grateful you still have DaS Remastered and Bloodborne still to play when you’re done with Sekiro.

kyussman

I got off the Souls train after playing Dark Souls,Bloodborne ad Dark Souls 3.....all great games but I'd had enough of that type of game by then.Bloodborne 2 would be tempting though.

nkarafo

Is this the journey all FromSoft fanboys take?
Pretty much.

Soulsborne games avoid a lot of stuff that i hate about modern gaming. So when i play anything else i usually just think about how worse it is compared to a Soulsborne game.

Also, try The Surge.

Malio

Now go play Nioh and Nioh 2 for some more life-sucking goodness. I’m the opposite, I had played them all up to Elden Ring, got 12 hours in and I’m over it….burnt out on souls games now.

My condolences. Only liking a very narrow space within a media would be like watching only Darren Aronofsky movies, reading only Shakespeare and listening to Tool for a lifetime.
I can't imagine liking one thing so much that I lose interest in everything else. Sounds terrifying and I hope I never get into such a horrible phase.

Chronicle

My story similar but I'm not necessarily bored of other games. It's just that the Soulsborne games game give a risk/reward feeling without it being gambling. You feel good for overcoming and succeeding the challenge. This gen is in serious need of some eye candy though. It's been a bit dull so far.

Try bloodborne. That was my first.

You’re just a nerd who fell in love with a particular type of game...I saw the same happen with Devil May Cry fans. You’ll forever search the genre for games that surpass it, to no avail.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Welcome, brother.

As other have said, try Nioh 1/2 and Monster Hunter. And you BETTER play Bloodborne!

There are also a ton of indies out there that are amazing if you don't wanna keep going down the 3rd person action RPG rabbit hole.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I'm ashamed I haven't played Elden Ring yet, but I don't have 300 hours to be consumed. Maybe when they fire me.

KXVXII9X

I remember feeling a little like that initially while still playing other games. I though the Souls combat was so much more realistic and grounded than other action games and thought everyone should adapt more to that style.

Then I played two Platinum titles (Nier Automata and Astral Chain) and had so much more fun with those. I also enjoyed the combat of God of War more and didn't mind some of the control taken away for a more cinematic flair. I really liked the creativity with the ice axe.

Things became even more apparent after I played some Elden Ring and that was when the magic of Souls-like games died for me. Aside from the many technical issues I had, the overly slow and clunky gameplay just wasn't fun. It was more of a chore than fun for me. Wrestling with the camera, the performance issues, and constantly having to dodge wasn't fun. Call me a simple-minded casual gamer, but I like to mindlessly feel badass sometimes.

Hari Seldon

I'm ashamed I haven't played Elden Ring yet, but I don't have 300 hours to be consumed. Maybe when they fire me.
Despite what gaf would tell you it is not for everyone. I put like 20 hours in and bailed, this is just not my genre, I do not find it interesting.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Yes. I went through the same thing but in 2015 after bloodborne. Played nothing but souls for a good 4 months.

You will get over it. I can’t stand elden rings. Loved sekiro and ds3 but I’m done with souls.

Bragr

Banned
So you were a casual gamer and got addicted to FromSoftware games?

Casuals usually do, the games are fantastic, but the people who overdramatize and overrate them are always casual-ish players who are used to playing generic safe games. When they get a feel for FromSoftware and a different approach, they lose their minds.

It's the Kurosawa effect, or The Beatles effect, once you watch a bunch of movies or listen to a bunch of music, you wanna try something different and watch a Kurosawa movie or listen to a Beatles album, and you become this fanboy creature who overrate them to death.

Play more games, and you will start to get a normal view of FromSoftware games again.

Top Bottom