• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My mom has ovarian cancer, and I have a simple request from GAF

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Hey guys.

My mother survived breast cancer 10 years ago, a motorcycle accident where she suffered 3rd degree burns in the 80s, and somehow survived a hemorrhaged delivery when I was born where I was actually born without a heart beat and she almost died.

She’s a trooper.

But unfortunately, in January 2020 my mom met a bigger battle than all of them. She went to the ER with stomach pain, and that night I received the worst news I have ever had to hear. My mom had ovarian cancer, later diagnosed as stage 3c. COVID was beginning its takeover, and unfortunately it was a really tough time for those with health problems Like my mother who wasn’t able to do much of anything per doctor orders while on chemo.

My wife selflessly gave up her job to take care of my mother and our children as we transitioned to a single paycheck. It’s been rough, but well worth it. My wife is amazing, and loves my mom as much as I do.

She finished chemo in June of 2020, went into remission with a warning that in general, it will likely return.

Yesterday, that news came to fruition. My mother’s cancer has returned. If you aren’t familiar with ovarian cancer, once it returns it changes the diagnoses greatly. Unfortunately she will battle for the remainder of her life, and it’s going to be tough.

My mom is the toughest person I know. A God fearing woman, who gave up everything in life to make sure her children had it all. When my father left my mom while I was a baby, she committed life to taking care of me and making me into a good man. She took me to all sports practices and games, stayed on my grades and school, took me to game events, car events, etc. she never dated again, instead focused on giving me and my sisters everything she could.

A really, genuinely amazing mother.

And now I simply have this to ask from the board. Please say a prayer for my mom if you can. Just help her fight and stay good as long as she possibly can. My children are young and very close to her, I can’t even fathom how to tell a 5 year old what is happening to someone she idolizes.

Thank you for all the prayers you guys can give.

Please - always make sure to tell the women in your life (or yourself, if you are a woman) to stay on top of things with health. Ovarian is a sneaky, awful and aggressive cancer. Around a year after my mom had breast cancer is when they began approving hysterectomy from insurance as there are links between breast cancer and ovarian. Unfortunately at the time, my mom didn’t qualify or we may not be in the awful position we are in today.

Love you guys.

Hug your loved ones every chance you get.

------------------------------------------------------

LAST UPDATE 6/6/2022 - Post #90

*** Also, after some request here and from family friends - I made a GoFundMe a while back. I won't share here publicly because I don't want anybody to feel pressured. If you feel like donating anything, please PM me and I will send you the link. If you can't - THAT IS OK! Please don't feel pressured too at all, times are tough. I still believe prayers are by far the most important thing one can give. Thank you all! <3

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Hey guys.

My mother survived breast cancer 10 years ago, a motorcycle accident where she suffered 3rd degree burns in the 80s, and somehow survived a hemorrhaged delivery when I was born where I was actually born without a heart beat and she almost died.

She’s a trooper.

But unfortunately, in January 2020 my mom met a bigger battle than all of them. She went to the ER with stomach pain, and that night I received the worst news I have ever had to hear. My mom had ovarian cancer, later diagnosed as stage 3c. COVID was beginning its takeover, and unfortunately it was a really tough time for those with health problems Like my mother who wasn’t able to do much of anything per doctor orders while on chemo.

My wife selflessly gave up her job to take care of my mother and our children as we transitioned to a single paycheck. It’s been rough, but well worth it. My wife is amazing, and loves my mom as much as I do.

She finished chemo in June of 2020, went into remission with a warning that in general, it will likely return.

Yesterday, that news came to fruition. My mother’s cancer has returned. If you aren’t familiar with ovarian cancer, once it returns it changes the diagnoses greatly. Unfortunately she will battle for the remainder of her life, and it’s going to be tough.

My mom is the toughest person I know. A God fearing woman, who gave up everything in life to make sure her children had it all. When my father left my mom while I was a baby, she committed life to taking care of me and making me into a good man. She took me to all sports practices and games, stayed on my grades and school, took me to game events, car events, etc. she never dated again, instead focused on giving me and my sisters everything she could.

And now I simply have this to ask from the board. Please say a prayer for my mom if you can. Just help her fight and stay good as long as she possibly can. My children are young and very close to her, I can’t even fathom how to tell a 5 year old what is happening to someone she idolizes.

Please - always make sure to tell the women in your life (or yourself, if you are a woman) to stay on top of things with health. Ovarian is a sneaky, awful and aggressive cancer. Around a year after my mom had breast cancer is when they began approving hysterectomy from insurance as there are links between breast cancer and ovarian. Unfortunately at the time, my mom didn’t qualify or we may not be in the awful position we are in today.

Love you guys.

God Bless your mother and family. I pray the Lord heals her.

lukilladog

That is really unfortunate, I´d pray but I know it does not work. There is Evil in the World and we have to live with that. Good luck to your mother... maybe tell Her to no take MD´s words as absolutes?, sure follow all their indications to the letter, but don´t forget that they are fallible humans too and rely heavily on training and the knowledge of other people, there are so many variables not available to them, that it makes no sense to live in fear just because some warning was made A life lived in fear is a life half lived.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I hope your mother pulls through this dude! She sounds like a tremendous person.
I've lost my mother to ovarian cancer, and the way you've described your mother reminds me a lot of her.

Sounds like you have a beautifully strong bond with one another, so alway continue to draw your strength from that bond, whatever may come :messenger_heart::messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
0neAnd0nly 0neAnd0nly , your mother sounds like an absolutely beautiful and amazing person, as well as incredibly strong for pushing through so many intensely difficult struggles through her life. She is obviously a fighter and a survivor, and sounds like a real hero and the heart of your family.

She is a true gift from the Lord, and the world is a better place with her in it. ❤️

My prayers are with her, with you and the rest of the family, and her health practioners as well.

God bless your mother and the rest of your sweet family! If anyone can pull through this, I believe it is her. :)

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Hey guys.

She’s a trooper.

Love you guys.

Prayer is something I can always help with. If you'd like to DM a name too if that helps, I'm open.

Tuff McNutt

My sympathies and prayers go with you, brother. My stepson has had cancer three times and probably will get it again, so I feel your pain.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Done brother.
I have always been in awe of Family units who remain close and in eachothers lives.
Thank you for allowing me to put a little good into this world.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sorry to hear that and she is in my thoughts.

Moments like this remind us to cherish our time on this earth and be grateful of the simple things in life.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

My prayers go out to your mother, your family, and yourself. There is nothing worse than a cancer diagnosis. Love to you, brother.

Mistake

I heard there has been some links between breast cancer and ovarian cancer, but it’s not clear yet. I’m really sorry to hear that op, and hope your mother pulls through.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I'm not one for prayers, but I will send as many good vibes your way as I can OP.

She sounds like a strong and admirable woman, especially since papa was a rolling stone. She'll be aight, don't worry about it OP.

Catphish

I lost my mom to cancer. You have my deepest sympathies.

Love your mom with everything you got while she's still with you.

:messenger_heart:

Sharing this to give hope.

My mom has had multiple cancers since 2012:

Thyroid cancer
Stage 4 throat cancer
Breast cancer twice

She just turned 59 yesterday and is living a cancer free life. She has had multiple surgeries and takes chemo pills.

I wish your mom the best, and, even though a diagnosis may not be good, always think positive because people DO survive the worst.

Last edited:
I seldom pray to Crom. He does not listen. To hell with him.

But I hope the best for your family. Be the strong one for your mom. She will find it a relief if you show that you can handle the future. Make your time count and take it day by day. She wants to live on through you and your kids, so let her know its gonna work out either way.

She'll kick cancer's butt OP! My dad went through prostate cancer in 2019 and then an additional tumor on his bladder in 2021, it broke my heart to see the guy that could once carry me on his biceps sweat from just walking up the stairs, but thankfully he pulled through. And so will your mom!

FunkMiller

This universe can be full of horror, and happiness, and everything in between, and none of us know what we’re going to get.

I truly hope your mother’s situation ends with happiness OP.

Lost my old man to cancer. He survived non-hodgkins lymphoma when I was young, then years later he developed a super rare form of leukemia that took him out pretty quickly. Doc said the radiation treatments that saved him from the lymphoma were the likely causation of the leukemia.

Fuck cancer.

Good luck op. Your mom sounds like an exceptionally strong woman, she needs you to be strong with her.

Lost my old man to cancer. He survived non-hodgkins lymphoma when I was young, then years later he developed a super rare form of leukemia that took him out pretty quickly. Doc said the radiation treatments that saved him from the lymphoma were the likely causation of the leukemia.

Fuck cancer.

Good luck op. Your mom sounds like an exceptionally strong woman, she needs you to be strong with her

Top Bottom