• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My long-term memory is great, but my short-term memory sucks

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Anyone else have this? I’m not sure how it’s even possible. My long term memory has always been great. I remember small things that no one in my inner circle can. I still remember phone numbers of friends from the early 90s, and can quote old conversations word for word.

But at the same time, several times a month I’ll open up my laptop and forget why I wanted to go on it. Or walk into the kitchen and forget what I went in there for.

Maybe it’s because there’s always a billion things on my mind at once so my brain gets overload in the moment, but can still retain memories long term?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Kinda the same way. Can vividly recall times and conversations had as far back as Kindergarten and 1st grade. Has to be a gift of some sort because tbh I didn’t do anything to earn this ability

I can’t recall phone numbers well from back then, but memories are in my head to the point where I can practically re-live those times for a little bit. It’s surreal how well I can hold onto some details

MastAndo

Gold Member
Yeah, kind of. If I make a conscious effort to remember things, I can retain information really well. If I'm just in the moment and not being mindful of that, it rolls around in my brain for a short while then drops right out as if it never even happened. I have always envied people who can watch a movie or read a book once and give a precise, detailed rundown of it quite a while later. Basically, unless I've seen/read it multiple times, my opinion of 95% of media or literature I've consumed over the years eventually becomes "that was good" or "that was bad" or "wait, I watched/read that?".

The exception to this is music, as lyrics still with me forever. I have heard your memory retention is affected by the emotional impact a particular thing has on you, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited:
FemaleInsignificantIrishsetter-size_restricted.gif

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Anyone else have this? I’m not sure how it’s even possible. My long term memory has always been great. I remember small things that no one in my inner circle can. I still remember phone numbers of friends from the early 90s, and can quote old conversations word for word.

But at the same time, several times a month I’ll open up my laptop and forget why I wanted to go on it. Or walk into the kitchen and forget what I went in there for.

Maybe it’s because there’s always a billion things on my mind at once so my brain gets overload in the moment, but can still retain memories long term?
That's normal. Google the doorway effect or whatever it's called.

Jasper_Rose_808

Neo Member
I'm the same as you man. I can remember small events, useless conversation or things said by people that are not even my friends but just acquaintances years ago, but it happens to my A LOT that I can't remember where I've put my phone 2 seconds ago, just for making an example. I noticed that it happens to me when I don't pay attention and when I ago in auto-pilot mode, and it happens often when I do small, mechanical things like putting my phone somewhere like I said.

Last edited:

It's nice to know I'm not the only one afflicted by this. I too, remember a shit ton of stuff from days long ago that family and friends can't recall but for the life me give me something like a list of directions and I won't be able to recall any of it especially if only told once.

The ones I hate are when there's something I want to look into and I get distracted for a brief moment and then completely forget what it was I wanted to look into.

I can quote verbatim movies/shows that I haven't seen in decades but if you ask me what happened last week I got fuck all.
I did a loads of drugs and drank oceans of alcohol until I sobered up at 35, I always assumed my crappy short term was related to that.

Thaedolus

I think the more things become routine, the less and less memorable or remarkable they become and easier to get lost in the day to day monotony. Also: time feels like it moves faster and faster as you age.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oh man, memory loss....

For about six months I've been off an ambien and benzodiazepines (mostly mixed with alcohol) binge that lasted for over a decade. I used to get my Tinder 'n Drink on and wake up with many, many conversations with just as many girls and couldn't remember any of it.. Awkward to say the least..

It got so bad my own brother used to get mad at me for not remembering stuff we talked about days early.. That really got to me ofcourse.

I have huge gaps because of this..And yeah it got scary. My memory is normally very, very good. It's very rare for me to remember stuff wrongly, even though memory is a subjective interpretation of events the objective parts (time/place/order/prices/etc) I mostly nail 9/10.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Hmm, I used to have this a lot when I used to smoke weed daily; I would walk up the stairs into a room and blanked. Uhhh, why I'm I standing here? Lol. Went about my way and sure enough 6 minutes later it would pop up.

Nowadays it's mostly during conversations but not as bad..

Having to much going on in your noggin plays a huge part like you mentioned but sitting down and opening your laptop etc while being sober.. I dunno man..

I have good long-term memory and even good memory where things are placed even others things, but I have the same problem when I forget why I went to the kitchen or something like that 😅
So you are not alone!

Fbh

Dude I used to work in this place were we always used these 6 digit article number. For some reason it was literally impossible for me to remember them.
I'd walk to a shelf, look at the article number and 30 seconds later when I was back at my PC I'd have completely forgotten it. Had to start walking around with a pen and post it pad.

I'm naturally absentminded, but my memory is good enough that if I lose something I can run backwards through recent events in my mind to find it, usually remembering exactly where I put it.

Like if I misplace my keys, I can go backwards through my actions mentally and then remember where I placed them without physically looking almost every time. But I don't remember before the rewind where I placed them.

BigBooper

I can relate to that. I think it has something to do with us constantly having to remember so many little details now that we didn't used to, but also getting old.

I can remember when I was about 5, lying in the backyard at my parents house with a neighborhood girl and holding hands. I can remember conversations from school days and who borrowed money from me for the drink machine and never repaid.

Remembering something like what I had for dinner two nights ago or what I gave or received as my last gifts. Forget it.

McCheese

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
all have both terrible short and long term memory

but I wouldn't want it any other way, when u barely remember anything ur never depressed or sad

people with good memories are always miserable and angry

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
both my short-term/long-term memory is trash & I don't mind it
Yup, that‘s me. And I‘m pretty sure I know the reason for it…. Living alone for years and having no obligations to anyone but myself. If I forget something, no one gives a shit except me. That’s why I remember a lot of work related stuff but aside from that… Happend yesterday… Someone tells me her name… 2 minutes later… shit, I didn‘t even pay attention. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Dude, you posted almost the same thread last week

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/my-l...at-but-my-short-term-memory-is-awful.1615455/

get help

edit: I feel a bit mean, but don't worry - I'm one of the older people on here I presume and have the same problems, I think my long term memory is just so full that most of the stuff that goes into short-term just gets thrown away now as it's non-essential.
I don't remember posting it honestly. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Someone DM me if I post this same thread again next week.

(btw I do have a neurology appointment, but for something totally unrelated. 6 month wait though so not until Feb 2022)

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Yup, that‘s me. And I‘m pretty sure I know the reason for it…. Living alone for years and having no obligations to anyone but myself. If I forget something, no one gives a shit except me. That’s why I remember a lot of work related stuff but aside from that… Happend yesterday… Someone tells me her name… 2 minutes later… shit, I didn‘t even pay attention. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I feel like maybe I need to start writing in a journal or something to at least keep track of some things I did in case I need to recall an event or what I was doing on a particular day. might come in handy

MilkyJoe

My short term memory is pretty shit, but I can remember days, occasions, nights out etc and conversations from decades ago, it's a blessing and a curse. Remembering shit that was emotionally painful or embarrassing, like it happened yesterday is the worst part... well that and recounting something to someone that was part of the memory and them saying they don't recall.

The old wank bank is fully stocked though... :messenger_beaming:

Has this been happening for a long time or only recently?

Covid can damage the brain.

As for me I mostly remember facts very rarely do I remember life events. My memory is basically just a collection of facts about the world.

Setzer

I'm exactly the same way you are, DragoonKain DragoonKain . I can remember stuff all the way back to my early childhood and even the phone number we had in the late 70's......but my short term kinda sucks. I'll do the same thing as you....walk into the kitchen or even the laundry room to get something but then get there and forget what I was getting. Also, I'll tell myself I want to google search something while reading a forum post or article on another page and then when I get done reading and go to pull up google I'll forget what I was going to look up.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Has this been happening for a long time or only recently?

Covid can damage the brain.

As for me I mostly remember facts very rarely do I remember life events. My memory is basically just a collection of facts about the world.
Few years and it isn't often. Don't think it's COVID related. I think it's mainly because my brain constantly has a billion things churning that I get distracted and just general stress of life. But I'm seeing a neurologist for some vertigo related issues in several months anyway so I'll bring it up.

OZ9000

Banned
My memories feel like dreams.

The past decade feels like a blur.

I live every day as if it's a new day.

This is very unnerving for me - I was a straight A student, received a distinction for my degree, and gained the top 1% score for an exam I did 2 years (versus a cohort of thousands).

I wonder if this is secondary due to the amalgam fillings that I've had since I was a kid - could I have heavy metal poisoning?

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member

Just read this article its pretty interesting it says that reading aloud supposedly makes whatever you're reading more memorable because you're being more active producing sounds while reading. Maybe it works the same way with writing the text if you're unable to say things out loud. Doing both might be a better bet if you really need to remember something and probably do it repeatedly a few times if you really need to remember something.

Abraham Lincoln read out according to this article (didn't check sources tho):

Yet it wasn’t just the reading that distinguished Lincoln. Kearns Goodwin described an essential way in which Lincoln was shaped: “Some leaders learn by writing, others by reading, still others by listening. Lincoln preferred reading aloud in the presence of others. ‘When I read aloud,’ Lincoln later explained, ‘two senses catch the idea: first I see what I read, second, I hear it, and therefore I remember it better.'”

so if you write it too the sense of touch with the pencil and writing down the words is involved which will make three senses involved when you try to remember something

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Kinda the same way. Can vividly recall times and conversations had as far back as Kindergarten and 1st grade. Has to be a gift of some sort because tbh I didn’t do anything to earn this ability

I can’t recall phone numbers well from back then, but memories are in my head to the point where I can practically re-live those times for a little bit. It’s surreal how well I can hold onto some details
I can remember some stuff long time, but then need time to think about what I ate days ago.

Some of it should be related to how important this is to your life. Important things you'll remember. Not important things you probably wont.

I remember in elementary school being excited first day of school and you check the taped up lists outside to see which class you're in and which friends were with you or in the other class. But then for university when test scores were taped up outside the prof's office, I dont remember one time doing it now even though I know it was done where you look for your student number and your grade beside it.

Top Bottom