• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My First PS5- Help me have the best experience.

My first thread on NeoGaf! Hello, everyone!

I ordered through PlayStation Direct and should have my console today (ordering from PS Direct was surprisingly smooth and bug free, recommended way to get one of these). My plan is to replace my PS4 with this thing.: game saves, backlog and all. I'm looking for some advice to hit the ground running after setting up my PS5. Asking owners on GAF seems a good way to go. Looking for things to do that I won't find in PlayStation online instructions. Things to NOT do with a new PS5 can also be super important.

Some questions :

I imagine you can transfer data from PS4 to 5 directly?

I have heard that the back compat with PS4 is strong, both discs and digital. Can the PS5 download all the digital stuff from your store Library, or do you have to go hunt it all down again? I have PS Plus so I also wonder if those Library items are available.

I am just starting to research switching from PS4 to 5 so I will have more questions I'm sure. Do's and don'ts from actual owners are gonna be great so don't be shy! Game recommendations welcome as well.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Install and play Astro's Playroom.

Don't leave it in rest mode if chance of power outage. (This is less of a problem now, but this past December my friend's PS5 pretty much broke after this happening. They had to send him a new one.)

Make use of HDR if you have a capable TV. I recommend having it set to Only When Available and keep in mind that some games have good HDR, while others do not.

Turn off the recordings for trophies, or at the least, change the settings.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You already have the best experience the moment you brought a PS5.

About the questions.
You can transfer everything from PS4 to PS5 via external storage or even via ethernet but I see no point in doing so... I mean I think it is better to start from a fresh PS5 and install just what you want.

You can play directly the disc... and the digital you can choose to download it in your Library just like you do on PS4... all the games are there including the PS+... you can just search the name of the game and choose to download from the game page too.

It come installed by default :p

Last edited:

Do NOT leave it in rest mode if chance of power outage.

Make use of HDR if you have a capable TV. I recommend having it set to Only When Available and keep in mind that some games have good HDR, while others do not.

This is what I mean. Would never have known the rest mode/power outage thing. PS3 had a similar problem early on IIRC.

S0ULZB0URNE

Welcome to the current gen.

If you want showpiece games buy Rachet and Clank RA and Demon's Souls.

If you like headsets buy the Razer Kaira Pro.

Buy a metrovac (blower),take the panels off once a month and clean it.

If you buy another controller makes sure its the better made(blue,purple or pink)

TLZ

Banned
rub your penis on it
750322.jpg

Mahavastu

if both consoles are switched on and in the same Wifi network, the PS5 asks you during initial setup to transfer these data. It did not work for me, but it was at the launch, so I guess that potential bugs are fixed by now.
Another way is an USB stick or PS+

Please note that some native PS5 games have problems to import the PS4 games data.

I have heard that the back compat with PS4 is strong, both discs and digital. Can the PS5 download all the digital stuff from your store Library, or do you have to go hunt it all down again? I have PS Plus so I also wonder if those Library items are available.
Yes, PS4 games usually "just work", for important games you sometimes have advantages like 60fps.
On some website you should not name there is some list with games which run better on PS5, but they stopped updating over a year ago.

On the Home screen one of the icons is for your library where you can easily install whatever you want from your own games. This screen has its own filter for PS+ games.

Please note that the integrated SSD is pretty limited. If you run into problems you can extend this place with an external USB drive (if possible SSD) or an internal PCIe4 SSD
PS4 games can be installed on and started from an external USB, so if you have some Harddisc / SSD lying around it might be useful to use those for PS4 games. In the settings you can chose, where the PS4 games should be installed by default
Now it is possible to install an internal SSD, so if you find something cheap (must be PCIe4, some cheap ones are only PCIe3) you probably might want to add something here.

You say you have PS+. You should go and claim the 20 games from the collection (hurry, one of the games leave in may, so claim all games before). Some games from the collection like "God of war", "ratched" and "days gone" got a 60fps patch and might be even more enjoyable then on PS4.

One thing: for all games there is a small icon over the game icon saying if it is the PS4 or PS5 version. When you want to install a games which is available for both, PS4 and PS5, the store / your library might show you both versions. You have to make sure you install the PS5 version, except there are reasons to use the PS4 version (e.g. Eldenring)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
if both consoles are switched on and in the same Wifi network, the PS5 asks you during initial setup to transfer these data. It did not work for me, but it was at the launch, so I guess that potential bugs are fixed by now.
Another way is an USB stick or PS+

Yes, PS4 games usually "just work", for important games you sometimes have advantages like 60fps.
On some website you should not name there is some list with games which run better on PS5, but they stopped updating over a year ago.

On the Home screen one of the icons is for your library where you can easily install whatever you want from your own games. This screen has its own filter for PS+ games.

Please note that the integrated SSD is pretty limited. If you run into problems you can extend this place with an external USB drive (if possible SSD) or an internal PCIe4 SSD
PS4 games can be installed on and started from an external USB, so if you have some Harddisc / SSD lying around it might be useful to use those for PS4 games. In the settings you can chose, where the PS4 games should be installed by default
Now it is possible to install an internal SSD, so if you find something cheap (must be PCIe4, some cheap ones are only PCIe3) you probably might want to add something here.

You say you have PS+. You should go and claim the 20 games from the collection (hurry, one of the games leave in may, so claim all games before). Some games from the collection like "God of war", "ratched" and "days gone" got a 60fps patch and might be even more enjoyable then on PS4.
Here is a good site that updates regularly I believe.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Play Astro first. It should be pre-installed. Second. Transfer all cloud saves to the console. Should you accidentally open a ps4 game you may overwrite your save and start at 0. Lastly claim the ps plus collection games, definitely claim Persona 5 (Vanilla) as it getting canned in May so at least claim it if you already don't own it.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
My first thread on NeoGaf! Hello, everyone!

I ordered through PlayStation Direct and should have my console today (ordering from PS Direct was surprisingly smooth and bug free, recommended way to get one of these). My plan is to replace my PS4 with this thing.: game saves, backlog and all. I'm looking for some advice to hit the ground running after setting up my PS5. Asking owners on GAF seems a good way to go. Looking for things to do that I won't find in PlayStation online instructions. Things to NOT do with a new PS5 can also be super important.

Some questions :

I am just starting to research switching from PS4 to 5 so I will have more questions I'm sure. Do's and don'ts from actual owners are gonna be great so don't be shy! Game recommendations welcome as well.
Yes, via ethernet. I got a PS5 a few weeks back and the system transfer was so effing easy. Even leaves your stuff on the PS4.

Be sure to get the PSVR camera dongle for free from Sony if you have PSVR. PSVR w/ PS5 is awesome. Gives games the PS4 Pro treatment and makes a noticeable difference.

PS5 is also a beast with playing PS4 games, such an improvement with load times, frame rate, visuals, etc.

Have fun dude, I paid over $900 for mine and honestly feel like it was worth every cent. The thing is definitely a luxury device.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, via ethernet. I got a PS5 a few weeks back and the system transfer was so effing easy. Even leaves your stuff on the PS4.

Be sure to get the PSVR camera dongle for free from Sony if you have PSVR. PSVR w/ PS5 is awesome. Gives games the PS4 Pro treatment and makes a noticeable difference.

PS5 is also a beast with playing PS4 games, such an improvement with load times, frame rate, visuals, etc.

Have fun dude, I paid over $900 for mine and honestly feel like it was worth every cent. The thing is definitely a luxury device.
So glad I held off on Horizon Zero Dawn to play on the PS5 even though I purchased the CE several years ago in a sale. Sat in backlog.

The silky smooth 60 and 4K made it an absolute treat to play. The HDR is fantastic in it as well.

OP, you can also get a nice external, went with a 1GB T5 and run all of my PS4 games off of that. Has plenty of speed for them to load much faster, and keeps the internal available for native PS5 compiled games.

Last edited:
Expand the M.2 SSD storage you'll need it.

For transfer: Use a portable USB to just run the PS4 games. Plug and play.

Play ASTRO and enjoy the 20 free games they give you.

I'm always playing catchup on backlog:

ea5t3W3.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for the advice. I should have pre ordered but never figured on a global semiconductor shortage lol. After missing launch I was stubborn and didn't want to pay the scalper price. I have heard it's worth it tho.

If you buy another controller makes sure its the better made(blue,purple or pink)
I'd add Returnal, as well. That game really shows off the DualSense and why it's the best controller to date. Plus, Returnal is just an awesome game.

Speaking of awesome games, if you play Elden Ring, get the PS4 version, not the PS5 version. Playing the PS4 version on PS5 is the option for that game. If you buy it digitally, you get both.

Last edited:
Good things in here and lots of things I didn't know. Thanks everybody.

So here's another question: Want to use external HDD that has lower than usb 3.0. Official site says usb 3.0 or above only, other articles that says doesn't matter. Any thoughts?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Good things in here and lots of things I didn't know. Thanks everybody.

So here's another question: Want to use external HDD that has lower than usb 3.0. Official site says usb 3.0 or above only, other articles that says doesn't matter. Any thoughts?
It should work, will just transfer slower, or games will load slower than they could on a 3.0 with high transfer speeds.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member

Do NOT leave it in rest mode if chance of power outage.

wow, my ps5 is 100% in rest mode since launch, I use remote play since launch, have not had a problem

Dr Bass

Didn’t know those colors were better made? Details? What about the dark red color?

Esca

Rest mode is fine. Been using it since launch day. My ps5 travels up and down to different rooms like every other day and we don't shut it down just unplug it and it does a quick check and repairs when you turn it on. I have games on the ps5 drive, an m2 drive, and a USB ssd for ps4 games. Never once an issue

sendit

Congrats on purchasing the most performant current console this generation. Get a second controller and the charging base.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I love that charging station. I was one of those people to turn off the PS2 from the back whenever I left the house. For some reason I didn’t leave it in standby because I feared something bad happening. After having my Xbox One power itself on for updates over the years and etc. I stuck to power saving mode. If I want it on, I’ll turn it on. For whatever reason my XBO was turning on at weird times. I also turned off the HDMI-CEC because I didn’t want my TV to turn on my console. I want manual control over all those features, even if I use remote play.

Welcome aboard.... I just got one about a week ago from sony direct after 1 year 4 months of trying to get one. It was a long time coming. Was great as my ps4 had basically started to overheat and sound like a rocket launch.

Best advice, would be to don't do the ps4 game tranfser. It takes hours, literally hours.
Wire that bad boy up if you can. Like all previous sony consoles, wifi is shit (i don't know why their wifi is always slow and I have a wifi6 router).

If you have an external Hard drive, put the ps4 games you want in that and just plug and play.
Make sure ps4 games are set to install on external drive as ps5 games eat that ssd up like nothing else.

I recently bought a 5gb drive as i had a 2tb internal and 2tb external on ps4 and going back to just 2tb for my large ps4 collection wasn't enough.
Plus you can copy unused ps5 games over to the hdd for storage. Leave theSSD for the ps5 games you are playing.

Go get Demon souls. Best game out to show you what next gen graphics are right now, imo.
Maybe returnal (haven't played, get my $30 copy in the mail tomorrow).
Go Download all the upgrades you can.
If you have metro exodus, plug it in for the free rtx version.
If you have ps4 uncharted 4 you can get lost legacy and uncharted 4 ps5 collection for $10
GTA5 update for ps5 is worth it for $10 (you don't need the disk). It also makes use of ray tracing and the dual sense is amazing on it.
No mans sky upgrade free
Subnautica
Nioh 2

Don't get rid of your ds4 controllers if you got extra. They work for ps4 games.
Screenshots from ps4 and stuff don't transfer, only saves do (that i seen).

If $70 games are too steep, (they are for me) wait a few months for normal prices. There is tons to play and sales all the time for stuff.

I'd add Returnal, as well. That game really shows off the DualSense and why it's the best controller to date. Plus, Returnal is just an awesome game.

Speaking of awesome games, if you play Elden Ring, get the PS4 version, not the PS5 version. Playing the PS4 version on PS5 is the option for that game. If you buy it digitally, you get both.
Why get the ps4 version (i have it for pc but would rather not have to stream it over steam deck any more) . Does it look the same?
Also you have stranger of paradise avatar. How is full game?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
your first one? Like your first time ??

Umm okay well it’s very girthy so use lots of lube. Go slow … maybe start with something smaller like a pstwo to get stretched out a little first ..🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Why get the ps4 version (i have it for pc but would rather not have to stream it over steam deck any more) . Does it look the same?
Also you have stranger of paradise avatar. How is full game?
Every version of Elden Ring has frame stuttering issues, except for the PS4 version played on PS5 which is a smooth 60.

The graphical differences are negligible, with the PS5 having a bit more grass, but also more pop-in.

Stranger of Paradise, is alright. If you are a fan of Nioh, you know what to expect, but it's not as good as those games. I have strong nostalgia for Final Fantasy, as I played it when it launched as a kid and more times than I can count over the years.

I love that charging station. I was one of those people to turn off the PS2 from the back whenever I left the house. For some reason I didn’t leave it in standby because I feared something bad happening. After having my Xbox One power itself on for updates over the years and etc. I stuck to power saving mode. If I want it on, I’ll turn it on. For whatever reason my XBO was turning on at weird times. I also turned off the HDMI-CEC because I didn’t want my TV to turn on my console. I want manual control over all those features, even if I use remote play.
I have a couple of other things that have HDMI-CEC. I always turn that off too, good to know.

Welcome aboard.... I just got one about a week ago from sony direct after 1 year 4 months of trying to get one. It was a long time coming. Was great as my ps4 had basically started to overheat and sound like a rocket launch.

Best advice, would be to don't do the ps4 game tranfser. It takes hours, literally hours.
Wire that bad boy up if you can. Like all previous sony consoles, wifi is shit (i don't know why their wifi is always slow and I have a wifi6 router).

If you have an external Hard drive, put the ps4 games you want in that and just plug and play.
Make sure ps4 games are set to install on external drive as ps5 games eat that ssd up like nothing else.

I recently bought a 5gb drive as i had a 2tb internal and 2tb external on ps4 and going back to just 2tb for my large ps4 collection wasn't enough.
Plus you can copy unused ps5 games over to the hdd for storage. Leave theSSD for the ps5 games you are playing.

Go get Demon souls. Best game out to show you what next gen graphics are right now, imo.
Maybe returnal (haven't played, get my $30 copy in the mail tomorrow).
Go Download all the upgrades you can.
If you have metro exodus, plug it in for the free rtx version.
If you have ps4 uncharted 4 you can get lost legacy and uncharted 4 ps5 collection for $10
GTA5 update for ps5 is worth it for $10 (you don't need the disk). It also makes use of ray tracing and the dual sense is amazing on it.
No mans sky upgrade free
Subnautica
Nioh 2

Don't get rid of your ds4 controllers if you got extra. They work for ps4 games.
Screenshots from ps4 and stuff don't transfer, only saves do (that i seen).

If $70 games are too steep, (they are for me) wait a few months for normal prices. There is tons to play and sales all the time for stuff.
I had been actively trying for about a year so I feel your pain. Hot Stock always waking me up at 4am lol

Nice list of hidden extras, thank you. I will be looking into more storage soon as well.

Top Bottom