• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My final post |OT| Salt but no Sanctuary

Shmunter

See? Right there. I said nothing wrong. Expressed that I empathized with Harmny and look at the comments directed towards me. This is like clockwork. Now you see why some devs hate it here.
Not sure how that happens, but at least you finally got the appropriate tag. 👍🏻

The upside is I personally won’t need to hold you to a higher standard any longer. Free reign, must be liberating.

Last edited:

LMJ

Dude, it doesn't really matter how I come off.
Yeah it does...
You don't get it. If I'm not saying something that people want to hear, then I'm toxic. Period.
You don't get it, it's not that you're posting things people don't want to hear...it's the condescension YOU TALK DOWN TO PEOPLE when you disagree with them
Alex (from DF) is a very nice dude, and yet people are rude to him and his videos.
Console loyalists are, the rest of us (bulk of Gaf) don't care or reply as normal, like yourself it's no secret that Alex prefers PC...
Dark1x is a nice dude too and he was driven off from a crowd that was rude to him.
If you are in ANY kind of public light (as in writer/host on a gamesite) you must...MUST expect some blowback from loyalists (my nice name for fanboys FYI) There WILL be toxic comments, that's the internet @Dark1x can be a great guy (I'm sure he and Alex are awesome) but you ALSO need thick skin as ppeople WILL disagree with you when they feel you threaten their religion (platform). Sorry but that's the truth
It literally doesn't matter. And for the record, I don't come onto someone hard when asked a question by insulting them. 90% of the time you see me defending myself from someone who *is* talking to me exactly like you just described. I'm not going to play Mr. Nice guy when people are insulting me because I'm not singing a tune they want to hear.
Again dude, not talking about rude comments, you're not insulting, hell you CLEARLY know your shit. The issue is you TALK DOWN TO PEOPLE, you act like you know all THAT is the issue, and when you're called on it you play the victim. Go after those that insult you, but you don't need to be so condescending.

CloudNull

Banned
Where do you see them? Is there a single thread where you can watch the drama? I always wonder what happened when I see the banned accounts.

Just scroll down to the bottom and there is the link to bans.... here’s the link to make it easier.

If there’s a good one we’ll briefly discuss it in this OT https://www.neogaf.com/threads/meta-gaf-on-gaf-on-gaf.1469081/page-594#post-263796386

Come hang out.
bathroom GIF

and for everyone’s pleasure.... one of the greatest bam messages

You seem obsessed with dick eating. Probably why your posts read like a load of old balls. Either way we're going to pass

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yeah it does...

You don't get it, it's not that you're posting things people don't want to hear...it's the condescension YOU TALK DOWN TO PEOPLE when you disagree with them

Console loyalists are, the rest of us (bulk of Gaf) don't care or reply as normal, like yourself it's no secret that Alex prefers PC...

If you are in ANY kind of public light (as in writer/host on a gamesite) you must...MUST expect some blowback from loyalists (my nice name for fanboys FYI) There WILL be toxic comments, that's the internet @Dark1x can be a great guy (I'm sure he and Alex are awesome) but you ALSO need thick skin as ppeople WILL disagree with you when they feel you threaten their religion (platform). Sorry but that's the truth

Again dude, not talking about rude comments, you're not insulting, hell you CLEARLY know your shit. The issue is you TALK DOWN TO PEOPLE, you act like you know all THAT is the issue, and when you're called on it you play the victim. Go after those that insult you, butyou don't need to be so condescending.
So Developers are supposed to ignore loyalist and still be nice no matter how rude people are? No thanks.

If I'm talking down to someone, it's 99% because they are trying to state something that is objectively wrong and trying to argue with me over it when I have the experience. It has nothing to do with arrogance. Someone isn't going to convince me of something I know to be a fact from experiencing it. It's like telling Brian from Epic how Nanite works and I never wrote any code to argue my stance. Do you know how many arguments and insults I took when discussing the UE5 demo? Again, no thanks.

I'll digress. This topic isn't about me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah it does...

Again dude, not talking about rude comments, you're not insulting, hell you CLEARLY know your shit. The issue is you TALK DOWN TO PEOPLE, you act like you know all THAT is the issue, and when you're called on it you play the victim. Go after those that insult you, but you don't need to be so condescending.
when Dark was disrespected, the mods banned the offending user IMMEDIATELY and there was pushback from everyone who sided with Dark1x.

it's nonsense to suggest that we allow industry veterans to be disrespected here.

Narasumas

Hey guys prob not the right thread for this…but a question I’ve often wondered about. I occasionally see bans for alt accounts of previously banned folks, etc.

How exactly do the mods know someone is an alt? Do they have tabs on like the IP, MAC address or something? Or do they just put 2 + 2 together based on figurative guessing? Always wondered how this was a thing. Figured this thread was semi-relevant. Thanks!

Last edited:

Klayzer

when Dark was disrespected, the mods banned the offending user IMMEDIATELY and there was pushback from everyone who sided with Dark1x.

it's nonsense to suggest that we allow industry veterans to be disrespected here.
The shit VX is spewing is garbage. Don't equate not absolutely buying his tripe as disrespect. He says fanboish shit, gets called out, cries about being a victim.

Newsflash, you aren't and never will be above reproach in a community. Your dealings with this forum is self inflicted period.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
How exactly do the mods know someone is an alt? Do they have tabs on like the IP, MAC address or something?
From what I've seen, you've guessed it correctly, also if similar emails are used that's another sign.

GHG

Gold Member
Because his concerns have merit that's why. It's not like what he complains of isn't true. And it doesn't matter what he did for CDPR. People on these boards troll even the main developers of a AAA game. His role in the gaming industry honestly doesn't matter here. I've seen several good industry people get shunned away from here due to the rudeness of the people on these boards. I'd much rather have their input on topics than the people who drive them away.

Several? Name the several.

Post split the only industry member I've seen stop posting here is John from DF.

If someone who is an industry insider wants to post here then they should be transparent about their intentions and understand that as with any situation in life respect is earnt, not given. If someone goes to a forum and expects people to worship the ground they walk on regardless of their conduct then they will be in for a rude awakening.

And the role that the person has in relation to the company they represent absolutely matters. You're defending an astroturfer who was not transparent with anybody during his time here, it's madness.

Last edited:
Real talk, be a good mod it's not easy. You need a "special skill" to read the person by words. See words behind words, faces behind avatar, real knifes or plastic knifes, occult behavior.

Overall, the mods here are great. Honestly.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
When you look at the ban history, I can't help but feel like this place would be better served having mods that are more concerned with keeping the peace than stooping to the offenders level with cringy insults.

MonarchJT

Banned
that game is technically very poor like most of the fromsoft games ...there's a loud very loud fanbase and and their games have become a cult ..albeit still being a niche
Surely the art style is all there but like in the movies I don't understand the obstinacy to want to justify the complete technical gaps of these developers. The graphics are objectively mediocre at best for a 2021 game

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Cute, but out of place.

"Are you ok" ? About what ? Has nothing to do with my post...!
Learn to troll.
You're the one going on about "mods needing a 'special skill' to see words behind occult behaviour from users" lol. The fuck you on about son.

Whitecrow

Banned
Mods that dont take feedback are bad mods. Period.
This lack of will to learn and improve tells a lot.

I've seen some very sensitive console warrying warns the other day dont remember the thread.
Looks to me like the thing is getting out of hand. Maybe is just a case of just one mod that got very angry for some reason.

But hey, I'm only a random user, I dont know anything.

TonyK

The thing is I agree with the OP because I do that, I'm more critic with graphics in western games than in japanese ones, where I usually praise the art direction more than the graphics from a technical point of view (because I understand that their resources are more limited than in western development, same for movies, something like Avengers can only be done in Hollywood). And as I do that it's easy to imagine there are more people that they also do.

I'm lazy to check OP original post to understand better why he has been banned, but it can't be only for expressing that opinion because is totally valid.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Dude, it doesn't really matter how I come off. You don't get it. If I'm not saying something that people want to hear, then I'm toxic. Period. Alex (from DF) is a very nice dude, and yet people are rude to him and his videos. Dark1x is a nice dude too and he was driven off from a crowd that was rude to him. It literally doesn't matter. And for the record, I don't come onto someone hard when asked a question by insulting them. 90% of the time you see me defending myself from someone who *is* talking to me exactly like you just described. I'm not going to play Mr. Nice guy when people are insulting me because I'm not singing a tune they want to hear.

This is so true.

But after posting here for 12 years, I'm used to it. Not that I've ever cared beyond telling things as I see them, regardless of whether people agree or not.

My only real issue is the passive-aggressive tags, because they are handed out anonymously and just give fodder to butthurt nitwits to try and attack with.

I mean honestly, I got saddled with my current one for *gasp* pointing out that ripping on some dev who's only crime was being discovered to have weirdo pronouns - as a result of them getting an industry job! Was pretty lame and really leaned into the stereotype pushed by Ree and other places that Gaf is some sort of alt-right/edgelord haven.

What a rotter!

Shmunter

This is so true.

But after posting here for 12 years, I'm used to it. Not that I've ever cared beyond telling things as I see them, regardless of whether people agree or not.

My only real issue is the passive-aggressive tags, because they are handed out anonymously and just give fodder to butthurt nitwits to try and attack with.

I mean honestly, I got saddled with my current one for *gasp* pointing out that ripping on some dev who's only crime was being discovered to have weirdo pronouns - as a result of them getting an industry job! Was pretty lame and really leaned into the stereotype pushed by Ree and other places that Gaf is some sort of alt-right/edgelord haven.

What a rotter!
I think making fun of weird pronouns is a god given right, like guns and whiskey.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think making fun of weird pronouns is a god given right, like guns and whiskey.

If they bring it up and try and force your compliance, sure. But in that instance the sum and total of their infraction was posting that they were stoked about getting an industry job.

That seems like straight up dickishness to me. Which again, I'm not against, and my whole post history here shows I'm not above indulging in (!)

It kinda reminded me that there is an undercurrent of resentment among some gamers towards people who work in the biz, as if its some sort of priveliged existence. Which in most instances it isn't, its just an office job with irregular/longer than average hours

Last edited:

Loope

That's just the typical sendoff for somebody who creates a last "fuck you mods" thread before they're banned. A viking funeral of sorts.
tumblr_mla37g3rnq1qfv91lo2_250-samheughan.gif
Actually he didn't do a fuck you mods, at least compared to some of the latest ones. He requested the ban. I don't really see a point in doing that, i would just block the assholes if they bother me so much or just avoid certain threads. Yes the pixar shit is cringy, but not enough to warrant getting mad.

Loope

So Developers are supposed to ignore loyalist and still be nice no matter how rude people are? No thanks.

If I'm talking down to someone, it's 99% because they are trying to state something that is objectively wrong and trying to argue with me over it when I have the experience. It has nothing to do with arrogance. Someone isn't going to convince me of something I know to be a fact from experiencing it. It's like telling Brian from Epic how Nanite works and I never wrote any code to argue my stance. Do you know how many arguments and insults I took when discussing the UE5 demo? Again, no thanks.

I'll digress. This topic isn't about me.
You're in the right here, don't worry. If someone without knowledge (which is often here) engages you and tries to one up you, you just need to come strong at them. It doesn't matter if it is on a forum or on real life, you just need to stay you ground when you know what you're talking about. I learned that the hard way. Now if come off as arrogant, i just don't give a shit, only if a person is being stubborn though and doesn't have the knowledge to do so.

You're in the right here, don't worry. If someone without knowledge (which is often here) engages you and tries to one up you, you just need to come strong at them. It doesn't matter if it is on a forum or on real life, you just need to stay you ground when you know what you're talking about. I learned that the hard way. Now if come off as arrogant, i just don't give a shit, only if a person is being stubborn though and doesn't have the knowledge to do so.

People here have not worked in games industry so they don't have the full picture. That's the extent of their ignorance.

Most posters have good basic knowledge and deductive skills. Stop being condescending.

Alanah Pierce is working in one of best studios out there. Hardly something to be proud of.

Any developers posting here need to ignore trolls and have patience. Being a proud PCMR wouldn't help. Be reasonable.

Loope

People here have not worked in games industry so they don't have the full picture. That's the extent of their ignorance.

Most posters have good basic knowledge and deductive skills. Stop being condescending.

Alanah Pierce is working in one of best studios out there. Hardly something to be proud of.

Any developers posting here need to ignore trolls and have patience. Being a proud PCMR wouldn't help. Be reasonable.
I'm not being condescending, i'm one of thos people. The difference is that i don't trade blows with people that know way more than me.

Top Bottom