• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MVG: Original Xbox Emulation on the PC - HUGE improvements are here

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's nice to see that this is finally getting somewhere, it always stood out among the consoles.

For a second I thought I might be able to play Perfect Dark, but then I remembered that it's a 360 game.
You could just play the N64 version?

Esppiral

It's nice to see that this is finally getting somewhere, it always stood out among the consoles.

For a second I thought I might be able to play Perfect Dark, but then I remembered that it's a 360 game.
You could try it on Xenia (Xbox 360 emulator)

On topic, both CXBR-R and Xemu have done immense progress over the last 2 past years.

Last edited:

Romulus

The video is a bit of a letdown. I have an OG Xbox with thousands of games installed and I know one day it will die, so it's good news there's hope for emulation.
However, after watching the games he showcased as playable, there are some weird frame hitch going for all of them, or outright framerate issues. Rally Sport is a good example. It literally still runs better on original hardware than the video he just showed. Whereas something like Dolphin or Redream for Dreamcast, adds to the experience in most cases.
Progress is progress though.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The 360 version has updated controls. The early, single stick based controls are what dates it and Goldeneye more than anything else.
Sort of off topic but believe it or not Perfect Dark, and goldeneye, on n64 does indeed support dual analog by using two controllers at the same time. Its wild and it actually works better than you would think. I know thats not what you meant by updated controls but its a fun fact that blew my mind when I discovered it.

Soodanim

Sort of off topic but believe it or not Perfect Dark, and goldeneye, on n64 does indeed support dual analog by using two controllers at the same time. Its wild and it actually works better than you would think. I know thats not what you meant by updated controls but its a fun fact that blew my mind when I discovered it.
The little known 2.4 config. In the menu it's backwards by today's standards, but if you're working with two actual controllers you can just flip them in your hands and have it exactly as we do today.

cireza

Banned
Watched this video earlier today. Emulation is nice and all, but Xbox OG is a console I highly recommend for some oldies gaming, as it is super affordable.
You can find the console for very cheap, games as well, and a ton of them are fantastic. Or you can have the console modded with a ton of games.
Plug it to a CRT and enjoy hours of fun.

Esppiral

Some Screenshots taken from Xemu in ultrawide and 4x resolution.

Screenshot_2021-10-04_20-48-32.png

Screenshot_2021-10-04_20-49-19.png
Screenshot_2021-10-04_20-51-57.png

Screenshot_2021-10-04_20-31-44.png

Screenshot_2021-10-04_19-53-00.png

Screenshot_2021-10-04_19-55-24.png

Screenshot_2021-10-04_19-54-08.png

Screenshot_2021-10-04_19-52-21.png

Screenshot_2021-10-04_19-54-31.png

It looks absolutlery stunning.

Drew1440

I really wish Microsoft had continued to develop the 360 BC emulator than ran the Xbox games for the Xbox One and Series X. They managed to get a select few titles to run in 4K but then stopped after around 50 titles.

The original Xbox wasn't the best built console, with the security key being tied to the HDD which is lost forever once that dies unless you softmod and upgrade. Then there's the clock capacitor issues too, its getting harder to find a working Xbox in the UK.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Watched this video earlier today. Emulation is nice and all, but Xbox OG is a console I highly recommend for some oldies gaming, as it is super affordable.
You can find the console for very cheap, games as well, and a ton of them are fantastic. Or you can have the console modded with a ton of games.
Plug it to a CRT and enjoy hours of fun.

That may be the case in the US but for the rest of the world the console is as rare as an unicorn.

Soodanim

Also no upscale / filtering which can make a massive difference I these games.
After recently getting RetroArch and trying some of the great CRT style filters, I don’t want to play a retro game without at least a decent filter ever again. Rendering boost on 3D is preferable of course.

coffinbirth

EL-QUADINAROS-Dual-Analog-N64-Controller-3.jpg

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, Robotron 64 and Sin & Punishment also support dual analog controls!

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The 360 version has updated controls. The early, single stick based controls are what dates it and Goldeneye more than anything else.

You can dual wield the abomination that is the N64 controller for dual analog.

nush

Gold Member
I really wish Microsoft had continued to develop the 360 BC emulator than ran the Xbox games for the Xbox One and Series X.

It didn't make commercial sense at the time because there was no full game store on the 360 at the time they pulled the plug. It was only ever good for people that owned the discs, but they actually did continue to develop the 360 BC emulator once the Xbox1 had back compat and more titles were added as they could monetize them through the store.

Orta

Banned
All I want is PD Orta, Outrun 2, Burnout 2, Crazy Taxi 3 and JSRF running 100% and a happy chappie am I.

Last edited:
Top Bottom