• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiversus |OT| Velma v Batman: Dawn Of Adventure Time In Westeros

Some highlights:

New Free Character Rotation (8/15 - 8/30)
  • Arya
  • Batman
  • LeBron
  • Steven

• Morty will be arriving on 08/23! He will be our first Plumbus-wielding character!
  • The patch will come in two parts. The first will be on August 15 and the second will be coming shortly afterwards (hopefully in the next few days). So not every change, but most will be in the August 15 patch.
  • Free Rotation Characters now have an icon in character select to identify them
  • Battle Pass XP match rewards increased to 10 for wins and 5 for losses, up from 5 for wins and 3 for losses.
  • Disabled class based Battle Pass missions other than for Tanks
    • Developer Note: Since players might not have access to fighters in specific classes other than Tank (thanks to Wonder Woman), we felt like relying on rerolls was not a reliable enough method to work around those missions.
  • Lowered the requirements for a number of seasonal missions:
    • Ringout a player from the top of the map 50 times (previously 75)
    • Ringout a player from the side of the map 50 times (previously 75)
    • Ringout a player from the bottom of the map 50 times (previously 75)
    • Get 50 assists (previously 125)
  • Announcer Pack - You can now preview a character's announcer pack before deciding to unlock it.
Lots of characters were also buffed or nerfed as well. See the full patch notes for details.

3S9DI3G.png

The new update is out. The battle pass seems disappointing, but I'm glad they're putting a lot of work into character balance. As for that new title screen showcasing upcoming characters, Black Atom seems like an obvious choice, but stripe is a weird one. Gizmo seems like a far more iconic character from that series.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
On God when I updated the game and saw the Gremlin and Black Adam I was making soy noises and everything. Unannounced characters dropped out of no where? GOAT play. Update the game, check the characters... They aren't there. 😶

Are ya fucking messing. Don't update the title screen with new characters if you don't add them immediately. Trolled hard.

Besides that though the Gremlin IS fire.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Black adam and Stripe look pretty cool, but this makes the leaked roster list either true or bogus, because Black Adam is on it, but not stripe.
Or maybe Stripe has an alternate costume that turns him into gizmo, or it's a pokemon trainer situation where you can switch between them.

Gizmo will definitely be a character. Stripe was leaked sometime ago through datamined audio files, making everyone think they were going to do a 1-2 release with Gizmo, like Rick & Morty.

Happy for all the Bugs players that he got off with a slap on the wrist, while my girl Velma got some decent nerfs (likely deserved tho).

Not sure how I feel about 900 gleamium battlepass.

Last edited:
$10 is the standard for every other game's battlepass.

There seems to be some controversy due to the lack of gleamium you can unlock at least. Apparently it is also the standard to gain ingame currency through a paid battle pass. Fortnite was given as an example where you can actually earn more currency back to buy the next season's battle pass.

I'm still coping with Velma's nerfs, feeling they might hit her too hard. I'm not too bothered with nerfing her damage output at all, but the nerfs overall force her to adopt a more aggressive, get in there and fight playstyle, which I feel compromises her role as 'support'. This is particularly tricky for Velma because she gets the short end of the stick in terms of priority/hitboxes compared to every other character, who have spammable normal attacks that -> Velma's.

Regarding leaks & Gizmo I found some interesting posts from a dataminer/leaker:
judging by the added and readded voice files we can expect these characters in Season 1
Rick and Morty (confirmed)
Black Adam (confirmed)
Gizmo/Stripe (confirmed)
Beetlejuice
Wicked Witch
of Oz Marvin The Martian (this one MAYBE because of re-added voice lines)
And
Gizmo and Stripe are like a Pyra and Mythra situation kinda thing, they're 2 characters in 1, though we don't know how it functions

This led to some discussion whether Gizmo/Stripe are in fact a combined character release (akin to Tom & Jerry) or possible Gizmo skin. I'd be pretty disappointed if Gizmo wasn't a separate character.
Happily surprised to see Beetlejuice on there.

Patch notes.

General

• Morty will be arriving tomorrow! 08/23! He will be our first Plumbus-wielding character!
  • This patch is entirely server-side so all updates are Online Only and will not be reflected in local/lab play until the next patch.
General Perks

• Ice To Beat You! - Projectiles will only apply Ice debuff to fighters that are not already debuffed by Ice.
  • I’ll Take That - Unstacked cooldown refund decreased from 0.5 seconds to 0.25 seconds
    • Stacked cooldown refund decreased from 1 second to 0.5 seconds
Gameplay Systems

• Fixed a bug where ability cooldowns may not trigger when projectiles are spawned close to terrain
Characters
Legend:
+ = Buff
- = Nerf
~ = Change
Note: Attacks callouts reference default controls.

Arya

• + Assassin Passive:
    • Reduced extra damage taken from 14% to 5%.
      • We’re evaluating if this passive should be removed entirely. We want to take a step towards that while trying to not to go too far too fast. We don’t want to create an assassin dominated meta.
      • Movelist Description of this change will not be updated until the next patch
Finn
Since we removed some power from the Backpack on Finn, we’re pushing some additional power into the rest of Finn’s attacks to give him more kill options.

• + Air/Ground Neutral Special:
    • Increased base damage from 5 to 6
      • This base damage is increased by holding and charging the attack
  • + Air/Ground Down Special (BMO Chop)
    • Increased Damage from 18 to 20
    • Increased Knockback Scaling from 18 to 20
  • + Assassin Passive:
      • We’re evaluating if this passive should be removed entirely. We want to take a step towards that while trying to not to go too far too fast. We don’t want to create an assassin dominated meta.
Garnet
Garnet buffs are incoming in the next patch!

Harley

• + Assassin Passive:
Iron Giant
Iron giant is currently dominating with abnormally high win rates at every skill level. Iron Giant’s Neutral Special with stacked cooldown reduction and Velma are causing too few windows for opponents to counterplay. Updates to Iron Giant, global updates to perks, and Velma updates should help provide more windows of opportunity for opponents against Iron Giant.

• - Air/Ground Neutral Special:
    • Increased cooldown from 23s to 25s
  • - Air Up Attack:
    • Hit boxes shrank to more accurate fit the attack visuals
  • - Air/Ground Up Special:
    • Reduced damage by 1 and base knockback on final hit of spin
  • + Air/Ground Down Special:
    • Allow cancel out of Cannonball if it hits an enemy
Superman

• ~ Fixed a bug that would allow Superman to grapple enemies that wall bounce even if his hitboxes did not connect.
Taz
Taz buffs are incoming in the next patch!

Velma

• - Air/Ground Down Special:
    • Velma Educated buff reduced cooldown return from 75% over 8 seconds to 50% over 8 seconds.

Bridges

Reduced extra damage taken from 14% to 5%.
We’re evaluating if this passive should be removed entirely. We want to take a step towards that while trying to not to go too far too fast. We don’t want to create an assassin dominated meta.
Praise be, shit was ridiculous with Arya, hopefully this makes her a lot more viable

manfestival

Got into this game a few days ago. Was a little frustrated playing this at first since this will be the first platform fighter I have played outside of completely casual scenarios. Settled on Jake and have had pretty good success. Wonderwoman initially had me thinking I was going to stick with her till I got bodied using her and it made me consider playing other characters.

BJK

Arya main. Bought Morty with coins…really underwhelmed so far. His moves are so slow, other players seem to be constantly breaking his combo before Hammer Morty comes out. Likewise, summoning the car is a worse version of Bugs’ Acme Rocket. Still lots to learn about portal mechanics— which may change my opinion, but he just seems weak and slow.

Arya main. Bought Morty with coins…really underwhelmed so far. His moves are so slow, other players seem to be constantly breaking his combo before Hammer Morty comes out. Likewise, summoning the car is a worse version of Bugs’ Acme Rocket. Still lots to learn about portal mechanics— which may change my opinion, but he just seems weak and slow.

The upwards platform seems best used to reset your options off stage, or to surprise someone next to you and follow that up with a launcher that doesn't have to go as far to kill.

As for speed, here he is being played by one of the two Evo grand finale champions fighting against a Harley Quinn main, which of course is one of the fastest characters in the game. The earlier part of the video is a general walkthrough of his abilities.

I have to wonder if that's just a new costume for bugs bunny. That would be my guess. Speaking of monetization, I'm a little surprised they still haven't opened up the shop section of the menus.

This led to some discussion whether Gizmo/Stripe are in fact a combined character release (akin to Tom & Jerry) or possible Gizmo skin. I'd be pretty disappointed if Gizmo wasn't a separate character.
Happily surprised to see Beetlejuice on there.
This is somewhat old news at this point, but it wasn't talked about too much either. The game director appeared on a podcast and said "Gizmo Stripe" several times, so it seems that it's the same character.

I'm guessing the transformation will happen with a particular special move, or maybe items you need to collect like when Velma calls the police, or perhaps it'll be tied to going over a certain level of damage. It should be interesting to see how it all works. I just hope we get more of a variety of stages soon as well.

Multiversus is still my to go game for my twitchy action gaming needs. Still maining Velma and doing pretty well with her (I'm ranging between 20K - 80K rank), even after being nerfed, but sometimes it gets on my nerves a little how unbalanced the hitboxes still are and how wonky the matchmaking is.
Oops, didn't mean to quote myself, but wanted to add to previous post.

Also patch notes: https://multiversus.bugs.wbgames.com/patch-notes

More nerfs for Velma, but at least Bugs finally got some nerfs.

Last edited:

manfestival

Yeah the hit boxes are really bizarre. So glad that Bugs got all of those nerfs and fixes. Playing against him was insufferable. I guess the Pros just dealt with it. Yeah this was a pretty big balance change patch for sure. I appreciate that the devs are so active. Shame that Arcsys is completely silent when it comes to DNF.
Been playing a bunch of Jake. I wonder what his nerf ultimately means

From a game design perspective, I REALLY hate when a cooldown on character means they do NOTHING when you hit a button hoping to attack. All characters with cooldowns should have weaker modified moves. It kind of ruins Gizmo for me.

7th consecutive Velma nerf, while maintaining 'this newly added character will be OP for a while' strategy.

Uninstalled.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz
Top Bottom