• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MultiVersus is now at 20 million players since the open-beta started on July 26

Draugoth

Gold Member
https://venturebeat.com/games/warner-bros-games-multiversus-surpasses-20m-players-in-a-month/

Warner Bros. Games announced today that MultiVersus, the free-to-play platform fighter, has now surpassed over 20 million players since the open beta started on July 26.

The milestone follows the kickoff of MultiVersus Season 1, which began Aug. 15 with a new Battle Pass for players to earn in-game rewards. Season 1 will also bring a variety of new characters, modes and other content to MultiVersus, which is developed by Player First Games and published by Warner Bros. Games.

“We had a fantastic first half of the year, really driven by the results of LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga. And we’re so excited to get off to such a great start in the second half with MultiVersus,” said David Haddad, president of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, in an interview with GamesBeat. “For us, MultiVersus is such an important critical step into that free-to-play, high-definition gaming category that we believe we can really do something meaningful in, in this case with a collection of our IP, and building a game from scratch that’s designed for live services and cross platform. And we’re thrilled to see by the 20 million that fans are really responding to it.”

Morty Smith (Rick and Morty) will join the roster on Aug. 23, while Black Adam (DC), Stripe (Gremlins), Rick Sanchez (Rick and Morty) and many other heroes and personalities will be added in the coming months. New modes will also be coming to the game as part of Season 1, including Classic Arcade and Ranked modes.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

Bridges

How is it compare to Smash Bro?

This is the best Smash clone by far.
Movement is little slower/more methodical than Smash but the characters are very unique and fun. Characters have a lot more aerial & recovery options than Smash so it is a lot easier to chase and continue fights off-stage than it is in lower level Smash play (you can use your up special twice, can air dodge twice and still get two jumps before touching the ground).
The ledge mechanic is replaced with the ability to infinite wall jump back up onto the stage (which I actually might prefer to Smash personally) which leads to some different situations than you'd see in Smash.
The game is balanced around the 2v2 mode so you have classes and abilities that synergize with each other in much more blatant ways than a Smash 2v2 would be (some characters can pull their partners back on stage, buff their teammates, give them armor, etc)

Overall, very fun and good. It takes the core of Smash and what makes it fun but added enough newness to it for it to have its own identity. I did not expect it to be anywhere near as good as it actually is. I'd recommend giving it a shot, it's free and not at all p2w.

Glad to see it being successful. For a F2P game with this kind of IP behind it, I feel like this isn’t super duper impressive. It’s not like 20 million people are paying money for it.

It’s easy for me to download Multiversus, play a few rounds with my mates. And then never touch it again

Last edited:
Top Bottom