• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MultiVersus has already reached 10 million players

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'm tired of all online gaming just trying to milk the adolescent Fortnite crowd with endless licensed crap content. The world would be an infinitely better place for gaming if all forms of F2P+DLC were outlawed and minors were banished entirely from the internet. A man can dream.

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

Gambit2483

The thing that makes smash a top brawler 😏 is the iconic characters, stages, and music. WB actually has the same thing if not more than Nintendo does. They just have to keep interest going in a ftp game.
I don't see WB putting that much money/effort into this game....especially considering that it's F2P

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I miss the first few games.

It went from really fun and casual to become a sweat shop game fast.

Yes they will
why do you think players of other fighting games dismiss smash? it's the only community in the FGC like that lol
Plus, the smash community always likes to distance themselves from everyone else from FGC. There is some strange elitist behavior from them that I generally don't get from other fighting games.

I mean, it checks all the boxes for a successful brawler and does many core things better than Smash does:

Solid gameplay ✅
Popular characters and IP’s ✅
Good netcode ✅
On almost every major platform ✅
Extremely low input delay on all platforms ✅
Crossplay ✅
Free to play ✅
Developer interacting with the community on social media ✅

No surprise it's successful so far.

It’s only a success if it makes money. What are projections like for that?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Why are people gushing over a cheap plagiarised knock-off, is the industry really that creatively bankrupt
How Is it cheap, plagarized, or a knock off? Every genre takes its roots from one game, were seeing the creation of a new one with platform fighters
By your dumb logic every fighting game that came after street fighter 2 is a "cheap plagiarized knock off"
People like you who dismiss everything as a ripoff boil my blood.

Jebron

It’s only a success if it makes money. What are projections like for that?
Because Warner Brothers is a public company, we likely won't find out until Q4 when they release their Q3 earnings report, although 10 million players is pretty impressive . I was just pointing out they've done many things right and are off to a very good start for a game in early access/open beta.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
the industry is absolutely creatively bankrupt (every industry is), but i can't believe THIS is the example you use to make that claim lmao. unbelievable.
I'll give the benefit of the doubt media is very creative in their heads, but what they churn out has to follow the money. Which is copying what is successful, trending, or mtx heavy.

99% of movies have a nice happy ending (well maybe not horror movies where the villain comes back in the last 5 seconds), but you get the idea. Everyone knows the good guys will beaten down, but miraculously come back with a last minute final fight kill to save the day.

I'm sure writers have ideas like having the evil doers steamroll the good guys in a script that shocks viewers, but hardly any execs will green light it.

The best way to find obscure contet is low key indie games where money isnt the most important and it's not expected to sell 10M games or $100M worth of movies to cover a giant budget.

For example, a game like Factorio would never be made by any big publisher or 200 man dev team where there's a marketing team itching with a $40M advertising budget.

Last edited:

Samrf89

I'll give the benefit of the doubt media is very creative in their heads, but what they churn out has to follow the money. Which is copying what is successful, trending, or mtx heavy.

99% of movies have a nice happy ending (well maybe not horror movies where the villain comes back in the last 5 seconds), but you get the idea. Everyone knows the good guys will beaten down, but miraculously come back with a last minute final fight kill to save the day.

I'm sure writers have ideas like having the evil doers steamroll the good guys in a script that shocks viewers, but hardly any execs will green light it.

The best way to find obscure contet is low key indie games where money isnt the most important and it's not expected to sell 10M games or $100M worth of movies to cover a giant budget.

For example, a game like Factorio would never be made by any big publisher or 200 man dev team where there's a marketing team itching with a $40M advertising budget.
yeah but creatively exciting/interesting games used to not be obscure. that's the point.

The thing that makes smash a top brawler 😏 is the iconic characters, stages, and music. WB actually has the same thing if not more than Nintendo does. They just have to keep interest going in a ftp game.

The IP is one of the things that make it iconic, but the core mechanics and unique approach (true combos, higher damage more hit back, king of the hill) are what defines it.

How Is it cheap, plagarized, or a knock off? Every genre takes its roots from one game, were seeing the creation of a new one with platform fighters
By your dumb logic every fighting game that came after street fighter 2 is a "cheap plagiarized knock off"
People like you who dismiss everything as a ripoff boil my blood.

Every fighting game is a plagiarized knock-off of Street Fighter.
Every FPS is a plagiarized knock-off of Wolfenstein 3D.
Every RPG is a plagiarized knock-off of Ultima.

Logical fallacy. If some game were to copy SF2 mechanics, e.g., d-pad semi-circle for fireball, etc., or directly lift the characters that would certainly be plagiarism. (Some fighters have obviously copied these very features.) All games should have a defining qualities that at least strive toward uniqueness, and there are plenty of fighting games that are unique without lowering themselves to plagiarism.

the industry is absolutely creatively bankrupt (every industry is), but i can't believe THIS is the example you use to make that claim lmao. unbelievable.

Not every industry (yet). Personally I see gameplay as more defining of video games than IP and graphics so I guess this game rubs me up the wrong way in particular. Metaversus just takes Smash and pastes on new characters. Even the title was likely generated by Zuckerberg wannabe execs in a boardroom.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I was just thinking about this.

Like why is this game so well received but Brawlhalla basically bombed? (I haven't played either of them)

Is it just because of the license?
Solid gameplay. Battle Pass is relatively cheap (it's less than $5). Actual production value with many of the original voice actors, unlike the Nickelodeon one which had none. Cross-play. Easy to jump into. I actually like the controls in this better than Smash because I don't have to press back twice to turn around. And you can change movement to the D-pad, which is nice.

Dynasty8

Now imagine Smash Bros Ultimate was cross platform/cross play with proper online and free to play (cosmetic microtransactions only). Would probably hit 50 million downloads in a week.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
d-pad semi-circle for fireball, etc., or directly lift the characters that would certainly be plagiarism.
1. there are COUNTLESS fighting games which lift the semi circle for projectile thing so by your logic that is plagarism
2. no characters are lifted from smash or any other IP besides the ones WB owns
All games should have a defining qualities that at least strive toward uniqueness, and there are plenty of fighting games that are unique without lowering themselves to plagiarism.
which is why multiversus puts more of an emphasis on 2v2 play while smash does not. Multiversus also has
-better online
-available on more platforms
-has none of the retarded clone fighters which are littered in smash's roster

Not to mention it has a cast of characters that play completely differently from most of Smash's roster and has a FAR different art direction, going for a 2d style which imitates 3d

the last time a smash brawler tried being 'unique' it ended up with Playstation All Stars Battle Royale.... sometimes less is more

And by the way, if this is truly plagarism don't you think nintendo would sue? they are the company known for making legal therats, moreso than they're known for games at this point
if even they don't see the problem i don't see your excuse.

And by the way, if this is truly plagarism don't you think nintendo would sue?
It's hard to obtain copyright / patents on gameplay mechanics, and even harder to litigate. Not sure game companies these days even bother, though I could be wrong. In the 90s Sega, Nintendo and Sony were big on patenting gameplay mechanics. I seem to remember Sega for a while attempting to block other companies from using a particular type of in-game camera system, but I think eventually this pettiness fell away. Nintendo were supporting patents on the Mario 64 style camera for a while too.

Re semicircle projectile mechanic, yes well imitation is flattery and I guess it became a standard. But if I was the first fighting game designer to lift it from SF2 I wouldn't have felt good about myself. Sakurai and Iwata spent a big portion of their working lives in the 90s labbing and experimenting with Smash gameplay. Iwata even gave up his weekends debugging Melee while he was president of Hal. They really believed in what they were doing and that was meaningful, the result was a play style that has become iconic and one of the most successful franchises of all time. Copying is easy, cheap.

Top Bottom