• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muckraking Tabloid Journalist Jason Schreier upset at a new game studio "Lacking Diversity in 2021"

GymWolf

yet even there, you don't just have 1 type of person.

You can get hired to do moderator stuff literally all over the US as many of those jobs are remote lol

To my understanding, more then half of Twitter works remotely, but that isn't really shocking tbh.

I don't even understand where this shit comes from where people think 100% of any company MUST believe in some concept based on the location of the main headquarters.

So you have people that work for Home Depot that are not conservative, you have people that work for Walmart that are not Christian...i'm shocked I even needed to fucking say that lol I don't know how you'd ever get any company to have 100% all people agreeing with the same shit, you can't even have that in any party, you can't have that even in a religion, but hey a company will magically do the unthinkable and have 100% staff that all believe the same things, verbatim? Unlikely friend..., like massively unlikely.

Shit, for all you know most of them are not even based in the united states lol Never mind "San Francisco", they might not even be in the US at all bud. Not everyone really cares about this shit....
Maybe they have guide lines in their contract? like ignore some type of problematic people?

You can have guide lines in every work.

EDMIX

Maybe they have guide lines in their contract? like ignore some type of problematic people?

You can have guide lines in every work.

I mean sure, but not to this degree. I've worked at Home Depot back in 2012-2016, I've never been given some guideline to ignore theft, criminal activity, harassment, etc if the person that did do the crime was conservatives JUST cause the person that owns Home Depot is...

So even if someone comes to me and is like "well of course they won't arrest the thief and press charges they agree with him cause how he votes" , i'm going to call BS. Look...someone owning a company doesn't automatically mean all issues come down to those views and that 100% of all staff, employees etc all agree with those views full stop.

Can someone have a guideline to ignore certain people with some concept of protection or something? Sure, but this Jason person isn't some massive entity that they'd lose business over or can break the company or anything weird like that.

GymWolf

I mean sure, but not to this degree. I've worked at Home Depot back in 2012-2016, I've never been given some guideline to ignore theft, criminal activity, harassment, etc if the person that did do the crime was conservatives JUST cause the person that owns Home Depot is...

So even if someone comes to me and is like "well of course they won't arrest the thief and press charges they agree with him cause how he votes" , i'm going to call BS. Look...someone owning a company doesn't automatically mean all issues come down to those views and that 100% of all staff, employees etc all agree with those views full stop.

Can someone have a guideline to ignore certain people with some concept of protection or something? Sure, but this Jason person isn't some massive entity that they'd lose business over or can break the company or anything weird like that.
The guide lines are probably more soft for the type of harassment that jasoy does, only saying that.

Mods probably knows that woke harassment has to be super duper bad to act and what shitter does is veiled enough for twitter standards.

EDMIX

The guide lines are probably more soft for the type of harassment that jasoy does, only saying that.

Mods probably knows that woke harassment has to be super duper bad to act and what shitter does is veiled enough for twitter standards.

lol Could be.

I think based on whats being stated, I can see how its a hard argument for harassment. Someone saying something you don't like can't automatically fall under that. So I feel based on their guide lines, this simply doesn't fall under that, who knows.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Any type of enterprise customer software has the functionality to flag users as 'VIPs' or user defined cohorts that receive different policies. Such as escalation, service level targets, expedition, access.

It's not beyond the realms of plausibility that large scale social media also has moderation policies for certain cohorts to enable consistency which can easily be abused.

Not saying that's what happening but it's easily achieved if the result of management instructions etc.

EDMIX

Any type of enterprise customer software has the functionality to flag users as 'VIPs' or user defined cohorts that receive different policies. Such as escalation, service level targets, expedition, access.

It's not beyond the realms of plausibility that large scale social media also has moderation policies for certain cohorts to enable consistency which can easily be abused.

Not saying that's what happening but it's easily achieved if the result of management instructions etc.

Oh trust, I'm not disagreeing that such a thing is possible, simply that I don't believe Jason Schreier is a hill to die on for Twitter.

We not talking about the Military Industrial Complex and some massive contributor lol

cormack12

Gold Member
Oh trust, I'm not disagreeing that such a thing is possible, simply that I don't believe Jason Schreier is a hill to die on for Twitter.

We not talking about the Military Industrial Complex and some massive contributor lol
Yeah totally. 'Video game journalists' would not be a big or important enough category. And Jason Schreier will never be important or influential enough to be an individual or VIP on a platform as big as that

CGiRanger

Banned
How is this not targeted harassment tho?

Jason ain't that stupid he knows damn well that he has a following that will target the devs, it has already happened.
Not even so much his overall follower numbers as his "industry/journalist" connections that will retweet and pile on their own BS, as evidenced by Mitch Dyer, and causing likely tortious interference with investors and such due to any blowback.

Varteras

Gold Member
Not even so much his overall follower numbers as his "industry/journalist" connections that will retweet and pile on their own BS, as evidenced by Mitch Dyer, and causing likely tortious interference with investors and such due to any blowback.
Fuck Bitch Dyer too

Zeroing

Banned
I'm sorry but i find this Jason guy to be one of the most obnoxious journalists ever. Has he ever attacked an Asian developer studio before or this is only against white?
I agree he really seems like just writes stuff to cause drama. People fall for it all the time.

oagboghi2

yet even there, you don't just have 1 type of person.

You can get hired to do moderator stuff literally all over the US as many of those jobs are remote lol

To my understanding, more then half of Twitter works remotely, but that isn't really shocking tbh.

I don't even understand where this shit comes from where people think 100% of any company MUST believe in some concept based on the location of the main headquarters.

So you have people that work for Home Depot that are not conservative, you have people that work for Walmart that are not Christian...i'm shocked I even needed to fucking say that lol I don't know how you'd ever get any company to have 100% all people agreeing with the same shit, you can't even have that in any party, you can't have that even in a religion, but hey a company will magically do the unthinkable and have 100% staff that all believe the same things, verbatim? Unlikely friend..., like massively unlikely.

Shit, for all you know most of them are not even based in the united states lol Never mind "San Francisco", they might not even be in the US at all bud. Not everyone really cares about this shit....
It clear you have never worked in tech in San Francisco.

I’m sure out of the millions who work in tech there, maybe 2 per company aren’t crazy batshit SJW. To deny the culture in that part of the country isn’t influencing their corporate decisions is pure denial.

Moderating is not like working at Home Depot.

Most moderation is done via algorithm, that scrub your data, looking for certain keywords and data points. Twitter can easily create a profile, run filter comparing real users to that algorithm, and have their moderators segregate certain users based off that profile.

It’s not a secret that certain accounts are allowed to get away with bloody murder based off certain attributes. For example blue check marks are allowed to troll more heavily, post sensitive stuff and essentially operate with more immunity than non blue check marks.

As other users have previously pointed out in this thread, this is targeted harassment, but is Jason getting trouble for that? Of course not, because in the Twitter profile he is a journalist, employed by a corporate entity, and not pushing any controversial opinion. Try doing that as a random schmuck, and see how fast your ass is flagged.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
DCZsLYXV0AAxSP5.jpg

You have to admit the resemblance is uncanny.

Soodanim

Gold Member

JumpMan1981

Banned
It’s sad that this guy is a name in the industry.

I used to think the hate was overblown, but as time goes on I see more of what he says and things like this reveal his nature. A bitter, self-important personality doesn’t make for honest journalism. It doesn’t even make for journalism.
Yup. An incident like this should have caused outrage against him across the industry.
Basically trying to torpedo a new game studio before they can even really get going.
Not even doing it behind the scenes but right out in the open.

Instead you've got people who have even worked for the likes of EA joining in.
It's almost seen as a good thing that these guys are being dragged for having an all male team.

I could understand it if the new studio was headed up by some notorious conman or other individual known for unethical practices.
I could even understand it if it was something like a person who took kickstarter money for a game and never delivered.
Like, you could see how game journalists online might warn people about individuals like that.

You'd have to think that in 10 years from now this kind of thing will be even worse since nobody is really bothering to put a stop to it now.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It's an odd thing to be mad about, but alas this is the world we live in. You can't start a company with a bunch of white men and not expect heat. I don't agree with it, but that is just how it is now.

My company have made a pledge to hire more nonwhite people, trans people, gay people and women, plus has pledged to put them in positions of management/power "ASAP". I know lots of other companies and organisations are doing the same.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Oh my a studio that just goes for talent and not diversity for the sake of diversity what has the world become.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
My company have made a pledge to hire more nonwhite people, trans people, gay people and women, plus has pledged to put them in positions of management/power "ASAP". I know lots of other companies and organisations are doing the same.

I think I'll check the GAY box on my future applications forms. It's not like they can ask you to prove it.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It's an odd thing to be mad about, but alas this is the world we live in. You can't start a company with a bunch of white men and not expect heat. I don't agree with it, but that is just how it is now.

Why?

Roufianos

He's such an absolute cretin. An arrogant and patronising piece of shit.

For all his virtue signalling, does he seriously think anyone looks at him and thinks 'he's a nice/cool dude'?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It’s sad that this guy is a name in the industry.

I used to think the hate was overblown, but as time goes on I see more of what he says and things like this reveal his nature. A bitter, self-important personality doesn’t make for honest journalism. It doesn’t even make for journalism.

I thought that the amount of hate for Schreiever (especially on Neogaf) was ridiculous. I honestly believed Schreier did a good job with his articles on various games publishers/developers. But this single nasty tweet against a group of white game developers opened my eyes and showed that Schreier is just a nasty virtue singalling piece of shit who is willing to push a company off a cliff just to get likes from the woke mob.

Papacheeks

Banned
I thought that the amount of hate for Schreiever (especially on Neogaf) was ridiculous. I honestly believed Schreier did a good job with his articles on various games publishers/developers. But this single nasty tweet against a group of white game developers opened my eyes and showed that Schreier is just a nasty virtue singalling piece of shit who is willing to push a company off a cliff just to get likes from the woke mob.

The interviews he's done with Yongyea and the likes really shows where his head is at. On top of that selling books. If he was a true in the trenches reporter he would not be on twitter calling out a studio for trying to save their IP by creating a new studio after Google defunct them.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Diversity and inclusion.

They're really ramping it up as well. They're even talking about having all staff who work in the office take the knee for 1 minute every Monday, although I doubt it'll go through as a few staff members, who happen to be black, have called the idea nonsense, so we'll see.
Christ almighty! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Diversity and inclusion.

They're really ramping it up as well. They're even talking about having all staff who work in the office take the knee for 1 minute every Monday, although I doubt it'll go through as a few staff members, who happen to be black, have called the idea nonsense, so we'll see.
Sounds like something you would fully support.

Diversity and inclusion.

Lol, some companies are really going off the rails with this stuff.

As a black person myself, this would just make me feel uncomfortable and sorry for all my colleagues for being forced to engage in such meaningless absurdity.

GymWolf

Diversity and inclusion.

I'm sorry what? what does that means?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Diversity and inclusion.

They're really ramping it up as well. They're even talking about having all staff who work in the office take the knee for 1 minute every Monday, although I doubt it'll go through as a few staff members, who happen to be black, have called the idea nonsense, so we'll see..

This thread is now about the laughable nonsense your company does

Jadsey

Wow...out of curiosity I just read the Other Sites thread on this.

I haven't been there for a long time. I didn't realise that being a white man makes me bigoted and inherently evil.

I'm heading out to jump off a cliff to rid the world of such scum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom