• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muckraking Tabloid Journalist Jason Schreier upset at a new game studio "Lacking Diversity in 2021"

As if something working out for him automatically means it would work out the same for everyone. Making a game is not the same as making a podcast and Jason is so high on his own farts he doesn't even try to understand that.

"Pff how hard can surgery, construction work, finance, teaching and research really be? I did a podcast once and that was EZ." - Jason Shrieker

NikuNashi

Having folks on your team with different backgrounds

Who is to say the guys in that picture are not all from different backgrounds. There may be different nationalities speaking different languages, they maybe from different wealth backgrounds, they may be from urban or country upbringing maybe different religions/atheists. The important point is judging someone by the color of their skin and pidgeon holing them into the same box is small-minded and frankly racist.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Where is this from?
It was made by some random person on twitter some time ago, during a "wave" of Alphabet people raiding small-time Japanese manga and hentai artists to demand they made more racially diverse characters.

EDIT: I think the original twitter account was suspended since then and/or the post removed, but you can find traces of it here:

Last edited:

ShadowNate

Diversity is a good thing. In theory at least. It means the hiring heads are not purposefully excluding certain candidates based on immutable characteristics (you know, as Jason and the shitheads(tm) urge them too), and it could facilitate a working environment where people get to know other peoples cultures, way of thinking, be more open to different ideas and approaches to problems, etc.

It's more that polyphony is a good thing (diversity based on talent and workforce requirements, and multiple opinions being voiced in a professional manner and working towards a better product) , but cacophony is not (diversity for the sake of diversity and pleasing a twitter nut).

And of course, the way it is being forced by twitter dolts, it is in the most superficial way. "Show us a pic where we can tell you hired differently colored people, and an x ratio of males to females". It is also very misguided -- some of these people think a "diverse hire" will influence the game's script or design decisions, character models, art to be more woke-y. Which will almost never happen, unless the seniors also share the (same) woke craze.

And if they are included in design discussions then we get situations where *some* of these hires will throw an entitled fit for ideological reasons, tear down posters to make a point, behave unprofessionally, then quit (or get fired) and post about how toxic the work environment is. (This is of course, exactly what happened in the recent case about the woke fuck who posted this exact story on twitter).

My point is these tweets do not want the betterment of a company. They don't really care for it. They want the likes, the attention, the drama and will move on, leaving the company to struggle (if it engages with them) with a new false problem that will potentially lead them to a bunch of poor decisions (to appease the mob) and may end up poison and rot employee bonding from the inside.

Last edited:
Who is to say the guys in that picture are not all from different backgrounds. There may be different nationalities speaking different languages, they maybe from different wealth backgrounds, they may be from urban or country upbringing maybe different religions/atheists. The important point is judging someone by the color of their skin and pidgeon holing them into the same box is small-minded and frankly racist.

I find the reductive assumption that there's no diversity among "white" people so very insulting. As if we're all a homogenous blob or would all think alike. People with different skin color who come from the same societal class are probably more alike than two people of the same color coming from different social backgrounds.

Unfortunately, in this day and age of social media, diversity can only be skin-deep.

NikuNashi

People with different skin color who come from the same societal class are probably more alike than two people of the same color coming from different social backgrounds.

Agreed, you could hire people exclusively from the countries top university (let's say Oxford University in England). A cursory glance at a picture would show white, black, indian, asian faces however all of those people would have been extremely privileged and have come through the same top education system. It would have Almost no socio economic diversity whatsoever yet people like schreirer? (Don't remember how to spell his name as it has no importance) would applaud that. It's an infantile viewpoint.

420bits

Here's a quick example: You may have a blindspot to how hurtful something in your art or dialog can come across unintentionally. Having folks on your team with different backgrounds can catch things a homogeneous group might not.

Who the fuck gets hurt by art? I mean, if you talk about hurtful art or things that can make someone feel uncomfortable we should just cancel everything and just burn all books and paintings and buildings. That gargoyle on a church in prague looks evil, burn it down.

War-themed movies and games? Nah, can't have that.
Games with nazis? No, thats triggering even if you are supposed to kill all racistnazistscumbags. But that swastika may upset someones grandpa who was a jew and put in a camp. And we all know that you can be triggered by proxy and that is totally valid.
Loud noices? No, should be replaced with something less invasive.
Violence, no no way!
Nudity? nop!
Cars? no, what about the enviromentalists?
Bikes? No, i fell on my bike once, it could be traumatic to experience that again if I play paperboy so that should be wiped from existence.
Oh and offensive dialog? Well, remove all the words and cancel any game thats not "mute". GTA for example would not exist. God of war? No, thats religious themed game with the wrong religion.

Everyone has a right to be offended and everyone else has a right of not giving 2 fucks about it.

Diversity is your background, not your fucking skincolor or gender.

So we have 2 imaginary studios with the same amount of people in them.

Studio snowflake got "one of each". Its the "perfect studio" and it has all the Jason-certification and probably Anita Serkesian in the top because she knows whats up. They have one of every genders, colors, colorgenders, other disabilities etc. but they all grew up in the same town, went to het same school etc. most of them went to the same class.

Studio X
Just hires based on merits, nothing else. They don't care where you are from, they care about who you are and your skills.
The studio could end up pure white, black, yellow, green, purple or anything in between.

Who do you honestly will make the better game?

And why is studio snowflake based from the same city, class etc. and studio X isnt? Thats kind of unfair!

Because there is no diversity in the rainbowstudio, they all fucking think alike.
They are just looking for the image of diversity - translation less / no white men.

Here's a quick example: You may have a blindspot to how hurtful something in your art or dialog can come across unintentionally. Having folks on your team with different backgrounds can catch things a homogeneous group might not.

No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Art is vexing sometimes.
If you can't deal with it, just don't watch. Not everything has to be made for you.

NikuNashi

But here's the thing, countries like America and Canada are home to millions and millions of multi-cultural multiracial backgrounds when compared to say a country like Japan.
As someone who calls Japan home for the last decade I can tell you there are a lot of non native Japanese people living in Japan. Lots of second generation and biracial children born here all of which have absolutely zero 'representation'. So the fact schrier has no problem playing Japanese games shows his hypocrisy and exposes his real agenda which isn't about improving 'diversity' rather a self loathing manifesting itself with attacks on white men.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Only if they are getting ready to leave the industry and retire altogether. Which is why Jaffe speaks up about it. But other than that, no, the world of business is now all about what social media says. I'm not saying changes in the work places didn't need to evolve, they def did, especially looking at how Activision.Blizzard is crumbling right now.

Unfortunate business's dont have backbone only ceo's and investors who care what the stock price is. If someone self owned a company and wanted to just say fuck it, and call bs out im all for that person/company.

The thing that irks me is people think place like this and conversations about context is saying we dont believe in the cause and are part of the problem? My thinking is if we dont question things then we are going to start doing some shit on a global, to legal scale that are reactionary to social media/justice narratives. And that is fucking scary and crazy.

NOTE: A lot of the developers at this studio worked with each other at larger studios like ubisoft. They have been connected since they started in the industry with close to the same people.
Yeah i don't know...

Cyberpunk had different trans shit on twitter for a long time before release and they still managed to sell a fuckload of copies.

If people is interested in your game, no amount of twitter mob is gonna damage you in a noticeable way, most woke people are fake pretenders and they care more about having fun than having principles.

On reeeee the whole forum bought the game even if they hate cd project guts.

Last edited:

Art is not meant to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy. Art can convey a singular vision. Having art toned down so it’s just a luke warm piss of nothing is how you get shite like the marvel franchise. It’s fine that stuff like that exists. But not everything has to be made in such a way.

anthony2690

Banned
Yeah, problem with that is it's based on the assumption he has ever come onto a woman. He talks a big game about a lot of topics, but I don't doubt for a second he is extremely meek when it comes to actual relationships with women.
After a Google, turns out he got married in 2018.
Very surprising, maybe in real life he isn't insufferable.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Diversity is if anything the enemy of art and creativity.

The greatest works of art in history are the creations of individuals because they come from and speak to a singular vision. They are "pure" in the sense that they are an uncompromised reflection of an individual perspective. In simple terms, at its best its like a conversation with another human being, unlimited by time and space. Its wonderful.

Collaboration is great for building community and industry. It allows things to get done beyond the ability of even the most singularly gifted individual. But in terms of art and to a large degree entertainment, thats not especially important because the purpose is always singular in nature: To communicate.

And here's the simple truth folks; its far easier to understand and be moved by a single voice, than a chorus or worse a cacophony of different voices. "Diversity" only matters if there's harmony, just adding stuff because its different is distracting, it dilutes or even pollutes the work.

So in summary, unless everyone is singing from the same hymn-sheet, more voices just creates a discordant and dysfunctional result. And if this is the case, what's the actual value of "diversity"?

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
This remains always relevant.
dee5d610d9aafaa019e1ea7159a125860c0d36a7.jpg
ad68657a51e1ab45e836ed011faaff188030f2e5.jpg
99860a42ecbd52c5e9430d22900b279febee22de.jpg
258aea9f05ec241ec34938de84ffe7b4a8a03694.jpg
Holy shit ... I didn't know that Japanese artists on twitter were getting so much hate and bullying.

Also, it breaks me that My Hero Academia was mentioned in the description of those losers.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah i don't know...

Cyberpunk had different trans shit on twitter for a long time before release and they still managed to sell a fuckload of copies.

If people is interested in your game, no amount of twitter mob is gonna damage you in a noticeable way, most woke people are fake pretenders and they care more about having fun than having principles.

On reeeee the whole forum bought the game even if they hate cd project guts.

Their game for the most part wasnt political, and a game like that which was teased in 2013, then shown in 2018, keanu reaves reveal in 2019, all built insane hype. SO they could have had a segment in their game that was like a FU to the trans and it would have still sold.

Got to remember Trans/specifically is super small when compared to gay/bi/lesbian community.

GymWolf

Their game for the most part wasnt political, and a game like that which was teased in 2013, then shown in 2018, keanu reaves reveal in 2019, all built insane hype. SO they could have had a segment in their game that was like a FU to the trans and it would have still sold.

Got to remember Trans/specifically is super small when compared to gay/bi/lesbian community.
What hyped game failed because of the mob?! I have hard time remembering even one.

nush

Gold Member
What hyped game failed because of the mob?! I have hard time remembering even one.

None, if anything it just boosts the sales of those games as a FU to the mob.

Following the Ion Fury outrage was fucking glorious. The mob downvoted that was like a fart in the wind, the developer bent the knee and then REALLY got downvoted by people who wanted the game or were sick of the bullshit, developer saw this went "FU mob", got massive sales and positive reviews.

The Twitter mob are just a tiny yappy dog, loud and annoying but of no danger to anyone. Companies need to learn this and ignore them.

Wow 14 pages already!

Have you guys read his book?
I heard it was pretty good!
His Blood, Sweat and Pixels book is actually good. Probably because he doesn't get too preachy with his beliefs and actually just tells stories of studios trying their best to push out a product.

levyjl1988

Banned
Diversity in the western market means turning women into men and putting a different shade of skin tone to them while making them like the same sex. If they want to make it extremely polarizing with a defect they are blind, deaf, in a wheelchair or without a leg or arm.

Look at She Hulk, they literally made her like the Hulk, there is no difference anymore. That isn’t diversity that is laziness, might as well use men’s animations and body types to save on production since they are going to be men anyways. It reminds me of that Ubisoft article arguing that making female skelatal structures different was difficult, I guess with this diversity they can get away with making just one body type. Smart.

8bitpill

Gold Member
I think this guy is just bitter that he is 34 and looks like a 55 year old that hasn't taken care of themself.

maxresdefault.jpg

In all honestly though, journalism is a joke at this point. It's littered with trending topics that any "writer" knows it will trigger some, bring in the guilt seekers and hive mind mentality crowd.

Polelock

I hate this dumb ass world we fucking live in. Remember when people would get hired based on skill and not sex/race/orientation. What a time it was.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Diversity is your background, not your fucking skincolor or gender.
100% true.

Here's three examples of diversity. One is looks, one is growing up in a different country.

1. White guy and Black guy. Both born in the same city in similar neighbourhoods. Heck, they might even grew up as school friends

2. Two White guys. One grew up in New York, one born and grew up in Japan. This guy is bilingual and knows English and Japanese

3. Two White guys. One grew up in Vancouver, one grew up in Russia. The Russian guy barely knows English

A game studio wants to force itself to be diverse. Which one is more diverse?

Most people will choose the skin deep choice and say #1. Even though people preach about "Look inwards. Appearance is only skin deep." The majority of people automatically equate different appearance as uber different, and similar looks as uber "they are the same kind of dude".

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I didn't believe his age so I had to confirm it on the internet.
It's actually true. He is actually 34 years old. Wow.
According to Wiki, he started at Kotaku in 2011 (so he was 24). And Kotaku was Gawker's game site. So similar to Gawker, whatever it takes to create buzz and clicks with unethical content is encouraged.

He's the kind of guy if you told him you were having marital problems and please dont tell everyone as you are sorting things out, the next day he'd tell all your friends and family.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
That’s not fair Jason, I’m willing to bet at least 1 of those men is gay or believe they were assigned male at birth but is really a woman….

AGRacing

Gold Member
Not from him, no. I did get a few from some bottom feeders though.
He'd be breaking one of his own rules if he did... in his religion he's got to leave you to the other women to take care of. It's convenient for him too, because it excuses him from having to use his brain.

8bitpill

Gold Member
I didn't believe his age so I had to confirm it on the internet.
It's actually true. He is actually 34 years old. Wow.
He was probably picked on by some "Chads" through out his life and never got past it. Now he is taking his revenge on anyone that might loosely resemble a "Chad".

dolfiend

Neo Member
Diversity is if anything the enemy of art and creativity.

The greatest works of art in history are the creations of individuals because they come from and speak to a singular vision. They are "pure" in the sense that they are an uncompromised reflection of an individual perspective. In simple terms, at its best its like a conversation with another human being, unlimited by time and space. Its wonderful.

Collaboration is great for building community and industry. It allows things to get done beyond the ability of even the most singularly gifted individual. But in terms of art and to a large degree entertainment, thats not especially important because the purpose is always singular in nature: To communicate.

And here's the simple truth folks; its far easier to understand and be moved by a single voice, than a chorus or worse a cacophony of different voices. "Diversity" only matters if there's harmony, just adding stuff because its different is distracting, it dilutes or even pollutes the work.

So in summary, unless everyone is singing from the same hymn-sheet, more voices just creates a discordant and dysfunctional result. And if this is the case, what's the actual value of "diversity"?

This is correct. Too many chefs in the kitchen. The Ratchet and Clank drama gave people a taste of it. A sea captain that only knows how to listen to the crews' contradictory suggestions will find himself stranded. Diversity in the liberal context is a shallow novelty and should never be the priority. It is not inherently good or bad, only a coincidental byproduct of living situations. It is also inherently a lie. There is not an equal number of men and women in any given country. The same goes for race or any other trait. It is logistically impossible for every company to have an equal amount of every trait (equity in the progressive sense). If you factor in people's personal interests and bias, it becomes even more unrealistic. There is not an equal number of men and women/black and white people who want to make games. Why would there ever be an equal amount of each in any given company? Equity is the illusion of equality. Praising people for biological traits such as skin and genitals that they could never choose when they were born is fool's gold.

This old Korean video with subtitles is starting to see a resurgence because of its accurate portrayal of the issue that is endemic to every industry in western society.

It doesn't matter if it's left or right. Political correctness is the enemy of honesty. Always has been, always will be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom