• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muckraking Tabloid Journalist Jason Schreier upset at a new game studio "Lacking Diversity in 2021"

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
>precision engineer a deliciously accusatory tweet in bad faith
>Party A will share your tweet around and call you a champion of the people
>Party B will share your tweet around and call you a fucking idiot
>Maximum engagement achieved

Twitter was a mistake.
xzkQnWa.jpg

JumpMan1981

Banned

"Nah. Representation and, in turn, different viewpoints will make art better. Always."

I'm sure this dude thought this sounded good in his head but actually it's a load of garbage.

"Art" is often created by individuals or smaller groups of people.
So really his talking point is only relevant to collaborative projects with a significant number of people.

Even then a massive collaboration such as a movie or videogame will still have very strict hierarchy with the main bulk of the "art" still being the responsibility of one or two individuals.

Really, the only way diversity focused hiring practices are going to influence the art is if the employees who are not straight, white or male are acting almost like watchdogs on the project. Making sure that the developers follow a specific path and don't end up doing things like having a hot female main character or having a damsel in distress storyline.

It would be like companies having their own internal ratings board where you might, for example, have a load of men doing the heavy lifting of coding and testing and designing but then all the work gets taken to the internal "Feminist Analysis" team who will reject ideas and recommend changes.

This is actually how a lot of game "journalists" and certain purple videogames forums appear to see themselves currently. Just making sure that developers think twice before doing anything "problematic". Just making sure that your game studio won't produce something that the wrong people might enjoy for the wrong reasons.

The fact that this is being done openly on Twitter should be a little troubling.

I think what this dude really means to say is that representation would allow art to be policed in such a way as to not criticize "The Message".

nush

Gold Member
Honestly, probably. Then they'll slide into your DMs and try to explain that they're an ally

That guys is just a troll, most of his pre Era posts are typical edgelord trolling. As he'd get the banhammer for that he changed his shtick to being a "Woke" troll. There's several prominent members that are there to just troll but they all get a ban armour because of fake wokeness. MercuryRed, subpar spatula are particuarly busy on that front.

carlosrox

Banned
I like how that disingenuous pussy immediately runs to find the stupidest, most volatile messages he's been sent just to paint the picture that he's a victim - when really he's a bully piece of shit.

He thinks people can't see right through him?

How do I get people to paint me as BRAVE and everyone else as racist? Oh I know I'll find the stupidest shit people have sent me and paint everyone with the same brush!

I actually did used to like that fake piece of shit when he first started at Kotaku. Now he can get fucked.

- DIFFERENT OPINIONS!!!!!111
- blocks everyone that doesn't share his phoney views

Fucking scumbag.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I keep reading the title as "Mukbang table journalist," and laughing at the image of fat Schreier fighting with live octopus.

Also,

LOL@ the dude who got banned for calling us all Stormfront members for not liking hit piece journalism.

"Nah. Representation and, in turn, different viewpoints will make art better. Always."

I'm sure this dude thought this sounded good in his head but actually it's a load of garbage.

"Art" is often created by individuals or smaller groups of people.
So really his talking point is only relevant to collaborative projects with a significant number of people.

Even then a massive collaboration such as a movie or videogame will still have very strict hierarchy with the main bulk of the "art" still being the responsibility of one or two individuals.

Really, the only way diversity focused hiring practices are going to influence the art is if the employees who are not straight, white or male are acting almost like watchdogs on the project. Making sure that the developers follow a specific path and don't end up doing things like having a hot female main character or having a damsel in distress storyline.

It would be like companies having their own internal ratings board where you might, for example, have a load of men doing the heavy lifting of coding and testing and designing but then all the work gets taken to the internal "Feminist Analysis" team who will reject ideas and recommend changes.

This is actually how a lot of game "journalists" and certain purple videogames forums appear to see themselves currently. Just making sure that developers think twice before doing anything "problematic". Just making sure that your game studio won't produce something that the wrong people might enjoy for the wrong reasons.

The fact that this is being done openly on Twitter should be a little troubling.

I think what this dude really means to say is that representation would allow art to be policed in such a way as to not criticize "The Message".

Yeah, I was always of the impression that diversity was more than just a persons skin tone and gender, but it seems I have been wrong all this time? Ideas and thoughts have no gender or race, but I get the feeling their little heads (*hehehehe) would have exploded had I confessed to being Bisexual.

Nobody would really know these things about me because unlike most people at twitter and resetera, I don't wear these things on my sleeve. I'm not closeted, but I'm not an asshole about it either because there is more to me than my gender and identity.

I'm no better than anyone else out there and my voice should not be louder then the next guy or gal, white and straight or otherwise.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Nobody would really know these things about me because unlike most people at twitter and resetera, I don't wear these things on my sleeve. I'm not closeted, but I'm not an asshole about it either because there is more to me than my gender and identity.

In the exact same boat as you. Although I would say I am semi closet since in real life I have no need to share such info and I'm half "straight" anyways so I get by just fine. I'll never understand why some feel the need to scream their sexual orientation from the skies. It's something I'll never understand. Most normal people don't give a fuck about others' sexual orientations.

Plus if it's so normal, why are they so defensive about it?? Making a case out of it means they are the ones making it a thing. Normal people don't give a shit. Very few people are stopping anyone else from living their lives. And why even take seriously the opinion of the very assholes these people say they hate?

Makes no fucking sense to me.

Velius

Banned
What a piece of shit. What if this was a group of people who knew each other and just wanted to start making games. You get on your feet and start brewing some stuff and some cunt starts trying to get people to shout you down because you don't have enough black people or women.

What kind of piece of shit do you have to be, to just not allow people to exist?

I like how he says that his podcast got better when he added a woman.

You know, the one that got cancelled

What a piece of shit. What if this was a group of people who knew each other and just wanted to start making games. You get on your feet and start brewing some stuff and some cunt starts trying to get people to shout you down because you don't have enough black people or women.

What kind of piece of shit do you have to be, to just not allow people to exist?

I like how he says that his podcast got better when he added a woman.

You know, the one that got cancelled
It's also possible that not everyone on the staff was present for the photo for any reason. maybe there was a woman, but she was out sick or had an emergency, or anything else. Even if there isn't, that does not mean it will always be that way because companies are always expanding and looking for qualified people. If they put out a hiring sign, and during the interviews they hire a woman, then that means she was qualified, and not some "diversity hire" that dumb people want so much of these days.

Velius

Banned
It's also possible that not everyone on the staff was present for the photo for any reason. maybe there was a woman, but she was out sick or had an emergency, or anything else. Even if there isn't, that does not mean it will always be that way because companies are always expanding and looking for qualified people. If they put out a hiring sign, and during the interviews they hire a woman, then that means she was qualified, and not some "diversity hire" that dumb people want so much of these days.
This trend of seeing something we don't like, so we have to ruin peoples' lives, is fucking awful. It's a bizarre mesh of self-absorption, self-perceived heroism and malice.

dcx4610

Shocking I know but Canada has a lot of white people. Men are typically more interested in technology, programming and game development. It's no shock that it's an all white, male team.

Now if you had a situation where someone black or another minority applied for the job and got turned down simply for their race, that's flat out racist and an issue. This is simply a case of demographics.

Imagine going into Japan and being upset the development team at Nintendo for being all Asian despite there being other races in the country.

As someone once said, the need for racism outstrips the supply.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Imagine being excited about starting up your own company with a bunch of mates, posting your first team photo, and then within hours you’re being called racist/sexist/far right trumpers and every other vile insult under the sun. This targeted hate campaign was also started by a "journalist".

They literally did nothing other than post a team photo. Doesn’t matter that there could be 8 different nationalities and genders in there, they’re all white so they’re racist.

God I can’t wait for Twitter to die.

IMO no sane person should be on Twitter. It is a platform to spread hate and abuse. Nothing good can ever come from Twitter.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
There actually is a woman on the team who is a Producer, but she's been remote and hasn't been able to be local due to COVID.

But did Jason Schrier, "Ace Gaming Journalist", bother to do diligent research on that? Of course not...

MrFunSocks

Banned
There actually is a woman on the team who is a Producer, but she's been remote and hasn't been able to be local due to COVID.

But did Jason Schrier, "Ace Gaming Journalist", bother to do diligent research on that? Of course not...
She’s white though, so she doesn’t count. Not the right kind of diverse. Her hair isn’t neon pink and I’m not sure if she has the required Twitter profile pronouns and SJW quotes like BLM.

Had it been a studio of all black women it would have been celebrated. No matter how talentless or underqualified they were. There would have been no complaints of lacking diversity or inclusion. Instead it would be "brave" and "a studio to pay attention to". Western game developers are predominantly white because, brace yourselves, Western countries are overwhelmingly white demographically.
The only problem with an all black studio is that these people could not go around in other studios to help them fill up their diversity quotas.

To the surprise of nobody. Has anyone linked him that information? I know he won't own up to it, but it can't hurt to at least post it there.

kiphalfton

Am I the only person waiting for some woman to come out and say that Jason creeped her out or came onto her in a really weird creepy way?

Yeah, problem with that is it's based on the assumption he has ever come onto a woman. He talks a big game about a lot of topics, but I don't doubt for a second he is extremely meek when it comes to actual relationships with women.

nush

Gold Member
Yeah, problem with that is it's based on the assumption he has ever come onto a woman. He talks a big game about a lot of topics, but I don't doubt for a second he is extremely meek when it comes to actual relationships with women.

He's married and they have been together since they left University so I doubt he's had the opportunity.

He's not wrong that diversity can be an asset. He is wrong to be a jerk about it and to get the pitchforks out in public against a newly minted studio. His positioning is needlessly aggressive and he could've just messaged their team if he had questions regarding their formation.

For this forum I would recommend measured responses and focus on the behavior, not on him as a person. Race, religion, gender, etc. shouldn't be attack points to engage folks on.

I really really hate this bs in the west on putting race and gender on every little fucking thing. Stop, just fucking stop. Racism and other problems exists yes, but this fucking behavior is going to create more distance instead of bringing everyone closer.

Are these people fucking dumb? Stop making everything about you, you fucking twats. What a fucking world.

D

Deleted member 820760

Unconfirmed Member
I really really hate this bs in the west on putting race and gender on every little fucking thing. Stop, just fucking stop. Racism and other problems exists yes, but this fucking behavior is going to create more distance instead of bringing everyone closer.

Are these people fucking dumb? Stop making everything about you, you fucking twats. What a fucking world.
I don’t know mate. I’ve got a feeling that’s what they want.

As if something working out for him automatically means it would work out the same for everyone. Making a game is not the same as making a podcast and Jason is so high on his own farts he doesn't even try to understand that.

I was sad one day, a black girl said hi and smiled to me, it made me feel warm and fuzzy! so if you don't have a black friend you must be evil or something.

Kenpachii

systemic problems are how people become qualified, because of prior hiring practices, and access to education and training

this is an age old racist argument you're trying to make, but it's ok now because we're talking about computer programmers, and artists instead of firemen.

somehow, I'm sure the 'liberal media' is at fault?... I'm trying to throw you a rope, bro, cause someone fell down a rabbit hole... limbaugh is dead, bro

U don't select people on race and sex ever.

U hire on skill.

If that skill is less because of roadblocks before they hit the job market, you fix that. U don't harrass or bully people in hiring worse qualified people because of what's between there legs and skin color.

The fact u even want to do that, and look down on those people as less qualified to give them that advantage is basically u being the problem.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
The first thing I noticed when seeing the picture in the OP was that those dudes look very chad. Seriously, they look like a bunch of construction workers during lunch break, not at all what you’d expect in tech these days. I can understand why someone like Schreier would be alarmed; he’s probably used to much higher levels of soy usually (I’m only partially joking).

I never understood that part. How is it an asset? In what way does it help other than something that's just... there?

It's not a good or bad thing. It doesn't make a team better or worse.

Here's a quick example: You may have a blindspot to how hurtful something in your art or dialog can come across unintentionally. Having folks on your team with different backgrounds can catch things a homogeneous group might not.

I never understood that part. How is it an asset? In what way does it help other than something that's just... there?

It's not a good or bad thing. It doesn't make a team better or worse.
I think it all depends on the project but I do think diversity as a whole helps keep people from being closed minded etc. I have always lived in So Cal and I love that most of my friends are from backgrounds different than mine. That being said I don't know what me being gay would do to improve a video game unless the story was about a gay character and even then gay experiences aren't all the same, just like everyone else we have some things we have in common that are just part of being a human being and then we have somewhat unique things that happen to each of us again just like everyone else. .

Flutta

Banned
Here's a quick example: You may have a blindspot to how hurtful something in your art or dialog can come across unintentionally. Having folks on your team with different backgrounds can catch things a homogeneous group might not.
Eh dont agree. You can almost interpret any game as hateful, harmful etc these days, if you really want. Has nothing to do with how diverse your team is. I mean these snowflakes attack a studio just for having a white protag in their games even though they have a diverse team.
Or why they choose a male instead of a female, or why we have to kill dogs, cats, ants 😂

The best one i’ve seen yet is that they hate studios that choose to have female characters with feminine look and behavior.

The list goes on and on, you will never please everyone especially these snowflakes. So no diversity is not the solution for what you’re implying. Deversity is mostly about inclusion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom