• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muckraking Tabloid Journalist Jason Schreier upset at a new game studio "Lacking Diversity in 2021"

On Demand

Banned
As a black person, this is so fucking dumb. Do you want diversity for diversity to check a box, or do you want actual talent and skills?

Does he even know if any “POC” or women even applied to work there yet? Why is he making such broad assumptions?

The game industry is mostly white and men. It’s really not that shocking to find a brand new company, or any company, full of white people.

You want diversity then more “POC” and women need to get into the gaming industry. That’s how you expand. Not by forcing this political bullshit.

zeorhymer

Fuck Jason. Throwing Sophia under the bus for breaking the story that E3 leaked personal information AND THEN tried to defend their asses for the leak. So progressive and brave of him. Oh don't forget how he was championing a union for Kotaku then abruptly left soon afterward and all his lackeys were left with the sinking ship.

SSfox

Fromsoftware is a game dev full of Japanese and it's the best modern game dev. So Enough said.

Having a studio being same religion race, or different religion and race doesn't make the game dev any better, or also any worse, it just make it... different i guess?!! but thinking those kind of stuffs make games better only morons like Jason would think so.

MastAndo

Gold Member
So basically all white males are culturally identical to one another? It doesn't matter where or how they were raised or who they were raised by - if their face appears to be white, as determined by looking at a photograph, one can assume they are devoid of any cultural identity and have nothing to offer on that front? Am I getting this right?

Last edited:

nkarafo

Why every time they see an all white men group/team, they automatically assume a woman or a black person was excluded?

Maybe these were pals who wanted to make a studio. Maybe no woman or poc answered to their hiring ad. Maybe some did but didn't have a good resume.

It would be racist if there were qualified women/poc but they didn't hire them because of their gender/skin. But if you want to accuse them for that, you better have some fucking evidence otherwise, shut up.

I mean, similar teams/studios are even proud they only employ women... And some artists have repeatedly said they only work with black people (like the Director of Get Out). These literally hire based on gender/skin and exclude a group of people but not only they are not considered racists, they are stunning and brave even?

Did the word "racist" changed it's definition and i didn't notice?

OrtizTwelve

Wokeness and woke moral relativism only comes from mostly western middle class white people with some means, who are often either mentally ill, miserable, over compensating for their own prejudices, or just plain creepy.

There’s a lot of minorities that don’t need Starbucks liberals crying or “fighting” for them. Most normal people look at these things and either cringe or are repulsed, because it’s such faux outcry and fake.

chonga

Fromsoftware is a game dev full of Japanese and it's the best modern game dev. So Enough said.

Having a studio being same religion race, or different religion and race doesn't make the game dev any better, or also any worse, it just make it... different i guess?!! but thinking those kind of stuffs make games better only morons like Jason would think so.
It is your best modern game dev.

And that's why this is bullshit. Because I couldn't give a shit about From, I'm not into their output. But that doesn't mean they need to hire some fluid black western women it just means I go buy games that I want to play that will be made by people that like the games I like.

Few posts up, some guy replying on Twitter saying different voices leads to better art. No it doesn't. It leads to compromises and compromises leads to shit. In the creative fields you do whatever you want to do and then the consumer of the piece likes or or they don't.

You do not need accurate representation within a single creative group. You just need the totality of the different creative groups to be representative.

marjo

I used to frequent that site, but good god it became too much. I share a lot of their views on social issues. But they would just dog pile anyone at the first whiff of controversey, usually before they could defend themselves. “Guilty until proven innocent” is that sites fucking motto. Leaving that festering ces pool hive of scum and villainy was the best decision i ever made. Even better than leaving facebook. I dont agree with a lot of gaf members, but at least here you’re not a bunch of over sensitive man children waiting to cancel someone at the first sign of controversy.

This sounds exactly like something I could have written. I also used to go to that site, but have recently come to the conclusion that it's a terribly toxic place. I say this as a progressive who's political views are probably closer to the average era member then they are to folks around here. Still, I couldn't stand it. There was absolutely no room for any type of nuance in 'discussions'. If you ever dared to disagree or to make a point that didn't conform to the what the mods thought, you were dog piled on and then banned. It really was the most intolerant place I've ever seen. Much happier since I decided to stop going there.

Killer8

Here's a gem of a reply backing up Jason's tweet.

4ysdqxC.png

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Note, I'm not knocking the persons looks. I'm knocking the irony in their statement.

So let me get this straight: white males are the problem, we've been told they are so bad, very bad indeed. They are responsible for everything wrong in the industry. You see what happened at Blizzard? That was all the fault of groups of white men. They can't be trusted around our women and PoCs.

... so why do people in these groups desperately want to flock to a studio composed entirely of them? It reminds me of immigrants who chant "Death to the West", while simultaneously enjoying the benefits of living in the West and who want their whole family to join them. Strange behavior!

Last edited:
He's so quick to call out a small studio with employees that are only white, but I bet you a million dollars this jewish journalist would not for a second be the one to call out the fact that basically every wing of journalism, news, radio, social media, TV and movie production outlet is controlled by jews.

Last edited:
I agree. Fucking vultures looking for the next high horse they they can climb up. Im liberal, i think diversity and inclusion are important, but these people are so fucking fake its ridiculous, Putting a start up on blast for some woke brownie points. If they really cared they would have reached out privatley to them to ask for clarification as to why they don't have more women, not immediatley gone to twitter to publicly shame them.
Private message: Hey guys I noticed you don't have any women or token people on your team, it's 2021 and I thought I may contact you because it looks suspicious to have so many white people that all look like dudes in the same place at the same time and I would not want someone to get the wrong impression and go down to your office building to burn it down? Can you please clarify so that bad things don't happen? I am only here to protect you from the mob.

Best regards,
Jason S.

I like how diversity = looks different.

As if because they are white and male must mean they are all the same and don't have any diverse opinions, viewpoints, or backgrounds. Literally judging a book by its cover. This thinking is so fucking backwards that it boggles my mind how it is the standard opinion on twitter.

Literally the most superficial way of looking at people is considered tolerant and progressive.
They actually oppose diversity of thought, unless it is from groups that actually threaten violent reprisal, then no matter how intolerant the group is they appease them.

It is the spineless tolerance of such BS, that has allowed it to come this far. Very few willing to take a stand, to take the fall for what they believe, and put the line in the sand and say no further. Just a few more good people, standing for freedom of speech for freedom of thought, and fighting for copyright reform and a breakdown of the legal protections of big tech, and we will see a flourishing of science and art the likes of which has never been seen.

The sword of truth slays all lies, that is why vast censorship is needed(to try and deter the spread of truth), for in the light of truth those without clothes will be revealed naked and their eyes will see the light.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
It is your best modern game dev.

And that's why this is bullshit. Because I couldn't give a shit about From, I'm not into their output. But that doesn't mean they need to hire some fluid black western women it just means I go buy games that I want to play that will be made by people that like the games I like.

Few posts up, some guy replying on Twitter saying different voices leads to better art. No it doesn't. It leads to compromises and compromises leads to shit. In the creative fields you do whatever you want to do and then the consumer of the piece likes or or they don't.
It's amazing how the first bolded line is just so inconceivable a thought to the current modern day wokesters. They see a game they don't like and go all in to condemn and cancel it, not just moving on to find something they do like. That to me is a dangerous mindset IMO.

Now for the second bolded point. YES SO MUCH THIS! (I hate using this vernacular). But seriously, the biggest issue that I have with most modern-day (particularly Western) game development is that this idea of "every voice matters!" or having more people weigh in on aspects of game development that frankly they are not qualified to do so. What this ends up, is basically "Design By Committee" now, without a unifying focus and creative vision, and instead something that gets watered down and muddled to the point where it doesn't excel at anything. This is exactly what is happening at places like Activision/Blizzard (and likely to exponentially get worse with them going even further woke) and other Western developers.

I forget where I heard it, but the phrase "Make a game that pleases everyone, and you end up with a game that pleases no one" is what is happening now with most game development in the West and why such games are not excelling at much lately.

Sgt.Asher

As if because they are white and male must mean they are all the same and don't have any diverse opinions, viewpoints, or backgrounds. Literally judging a book by its cover. This thinking is so fucking backwards that it boggles my mind how it is the standard opinion on twitter.

Literally the most superficial way of looking at people is considered tolerant and progressive.
That's how they think. Every race has had one experience, they are all similar. It's why you get a bunch of effeminate liberal arts majors saying white people are privileged. They grew up in wealthy families and never knew what hunger was. So all white people are privileged.
On the same token they think all black people are from the hood, thus billionaire Opra has less privilege than a homeless white man.
They think a Jamaican will be the same as a native LA resident. That a south asian is the same as a mongolian.
They are racist, without a doubt.
Edit: just looked up Oprah, that's actually an amazing success story.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
This sounds exactly like something I could have written. I also used to go to that site, but have recently come to the conclusion that it's a terribly toxic place. I say this as a progressive who's political views are probably closer to the average era member then they are to folks around here. Still, I couldn't stand it. There was absolutely no room for any type of nuance in 'discussions'. If you ever dared to disagree or to make a point that didn't conform to the what the mods thought, you were dog piled on and then banned. It really was the most intolerant place I've ever seen. Much happier since I decided to stop going there.
My mental health isn't great yet, but its been much, much better since i got off that forum.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My mental health isn't great yet, but its been much, much better since i got off that forum.
+1 I used to dread notifications on era. Especially when I got over 3-5 in a short span. i knew the mob was after me and Id be banned soon. It was a miserable experience.

The red notification on gaf brings me joy which is supposed to be the whole fucking point of social media notifications.

You've got the attention of one of ResetEra's biggest soy boy cucks. Congratulations, you've now officially made it to the big time

I did not even know I was being followed by anyone from that place, nor am I sure I know what they mean about having an "anime avatar" or how they would even know that in the first place. I mean, do I need to post a picture of myself with me holding a picture of my name up on it in order for them to believe it to be true?

Alebrije

He needed a topic for next week work..he used the classic lack of diversity hit, got the expected attention and then went to tweeter to play the marthyr game..

Voala.....

420bits

Wouldn't piss on Jason if he was on fire, what a MASSIVE fucking cunt he is.

And to anyone who calls Jason a journalist or a reporter, fucking stop it.
He isn't and never was and never will be.

zeorhymer

I did not even know I was being followed by anyone from that place, nor am I sure I know what they mean about having an "anime avatar" or how they would even know that in the first place. I mean, do I need to post a picture of myself with me holding a picture of my name up on it in order for them to believe it to be true?
Um yeah. I'd block that creep and don't even give that weirdo the time of day.

Balboa

I responded to him with a picture I took with my son, but that's might have a bad idea, maybe? I just can't stand people like that who want to play the "you aren't your gender" card. I know there are a lot of weirdo's out there, but that's not my fault.
It will be interesting to see if you can get an apology out of him, he is an absolute nutcase though I wouldn't communicate with him any further

It will be interesting to see if you can get an apology out of him, he is an absolute nutcase though I wouldn't communicate with him any further
I'm not worried about him anymore, nor do I want his apology. I do have a tendency to knee jerk sadly when it comes to people online. I made a few mistakes like that here actually and I'm trying to live it down, lol.

Mabdia

"all that matters is game quality" is getting blocked"

We all know that the quality does not matter. Look how bad a lot of gaming and journalism are nowadays.

The only thing that matters is talk bullshit and some clicks.

Boss Mog

When I want to watch youtube videos about phones, computing and other tech I often watch Marques Brownlee, Dave2D and Will from GSMArena. Do I watch them because I want to champion "diversity"? Fuck no, I watch them because they're good at what they do. Their videos are well shot, they speak clearly and they know their stuff. The fact that they happen to all be non-white is completely irrelevant. If I was hiring somebody for a job I would go about it the exact same way, just pick the people I think have the best skills for the job, I don't care what they look like.

No worries, I was just giving some friendly advice.
I appreciate it. Goddess knows, I have made mistakes from time to time, including several here at this site I wish I could undo. Maturity is not always my strong suit, sadly. Anyway, I'm normally not very active on twitter to be honest. Most times I just use it as an image dump for my PlayStation screencaps since Facebook no longer lets us upload them there. I have to use twitter as a middle man. I do follow a few gaming related accounts though like Alex Moukala, the guy who does those video game songs on his bass guitar.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Honestly, probably. Then they'll slide into your DMs and try to explain that they're an ally

Fbh

That's, IMO, a big part of what differentiates an actual progressive person from a woke one. While one group will be upset about a bad thing happening, the other actually likes said bad thing and are only upset about being on the receiving end of it.
A progressive person dislikes the core concept: for example making assumptions about people based on their race or gender.
Woke people, on the other hand, don't really mind the concept, they just don't like when it is applied to them or groups they are sympathetic towards.

This is a great example. Shreier clearly doesn't have any problem whatsoever making assumptions about people based on their race and gender, he only cares about people making these sorts of assumptions in regards to groups he is sympathetic towards.

Top Bottom