• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS's Response to Sony's "No AAA Studio Can Match CoD" Statement + Confirms Sony Pays To Blocks Games From Game Pass

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Street Fighter V wouldn't exist without funding from Sony. Microsoft had an opportunity to fund the project, but they refused to help.

Please do not do this. Its literally the largest fighting game in history along side MK. If you believe the PR bullshit that Sony saved street fighter I don't know what to say.

Street fighter 4 was huge and bigger than SFV...so who is saving street fighter 6 after the less than desired SFV? Capcom magically found a load of money behind the sofa to make sf6 how they want?

You honestly can't believe that Sony/Capcom bullshit?

The reality is Sony paid a shitload of money to keep SFV off of xbox because SF IV was huge on xbox and all the pros played the 360 version.

kikii

Please do not do this. Its literally the largest fighting game in history along side MK. If you believe the PR bullshit that Sony saved street fighter I don't know what to say.

Street fighter 4 was huge and bigger than SFV...so who is saving street fighter 6 after the less than desired SFV? Capcom magically found a load of money behind the sofa to make sf6 how they want?

The reality is Sony paid a shitload of money to keep SFV off of xbox because SF IV was huge on xbox and all the pros played the 360 version.
read below :p was hard to google

https://videogamesuncovered.com/fea...good-for-sony-safe-for-capcom-bad-for-gamers/

Louay

It's still funny to me that Xbox fans want to portray Microsoft as innocent when it comes to exclusive deals.

Let me remind you of what Microsoft did in the past when it came to exclusive deals. This will include exclusive deals, lifetime deals, and failed deals.

XBOX

TECMO
Microsoft made exclusive deals with Tecmo to make games exclusively for their platform.

Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden II, Dead or Alive 3

SEGA
Microsoft made 11 game deal with Microsoft.

This includes games such as Jet Set Radio Future, Crazy Taxi 3, Shenmu II and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

CAPCOM
Microsoft had the chance to make Resident Evil 4 exclusive to Xbox.

BIOWARE
Microsoft made deals with Bioware to make games exclusively for their platform. Probably why we didn't see some of their other titles on other platforms.

XBOX 360

Dead or Alive 4

Bioshock

Time exclusive deal

Oblivion
Time Exclusive

BIOWARE
Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 were time exclusive for Xbox.

Alan Wake
Alan Wake was a marketing deal for the 360. Remedy bought the rights back from Microsoft.

XBOX ONE
Full Exclusive Deals

Dead Rising 3
Ryse

Time Exclusive Deals
Dead Rising 4
Rise of the Tomb Raider
PUBG

There are more but these are notable titles.

Deals happen and they have been happening for years. I don't get this crap about Sony being shady when it Nintendo and Sega were doing it in the 90s.
there is a different between timed exclusive deals and paid game dev deals(funded by said company)

Bioware ME were funded by MS.
Dead Rising 3 and RYSE were also funded by MS.
they don't own the IP but they got full exclusive for it.
gears of war was one too, they didn't own the IP unti 2014.

Louay

MS did this , Sony did this....etc it doesn't matter it's business. buying exclusive timed deals for games is just cheap acquisitions, it's has the same as studio/publishers IP holder Acquisitions but it's limited for certain time and cheaper.

so for the past 5 years MS was the smart one here with moves, like imagine paying for FF16, Forspoken just for few years later SE got acquired by other company and taken way the IP from PS. Sony would be clowns of the generation if they don't get SE. protect your investment.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Hook, line and sinker. Poor little Capcom desperate for funding for little, unknown 50+ million seller IP; Street Fighter. Come on.

I'm literally shaking my head right now. LOL.

Capcom was CLOSE to going bankrupt. Street Fighter 4 launched in 2008. Do think that game was going to save them years later?

They had $153 million in the bank years before the game was released.

Capcom Only Has $152 Million in Their Bank Account, Plans to Invest More into the DLC Market

Street Fighter X Tekken failed.
Marvel vs Capcom 2 failed.

Their entire fighting game division was crumbling and they were close to going bankrupt.

Sony saw an opportunity to fund it and have the game exclusive. They weren't swimming in cash where they could make the game themselves without help.

pretty sure that was cuz the Xbox was a more powerful system overall, not because they moneyhatted games to look better on Xbox.
No. Only rendering and framerates would be better in that case. But Xbox ports were usually enhanced with better textures, often different, and bump maps and other stuff. Also, plenty had extra content.

They were paying for the extra development time and for ezclusive content and that was attractive for quite a few third parties.

quest

Not Banned from OT
MS did this , Sony did this....etc it doesn't matter it's business. buying exclusive timed deals for games is just cheap acquisitions, it's has the same as studio/publishers IP holder Acquisitions but it's limited for certain time and cheaper.

so for the past 5 years MS was the smart one here with moves, like imagine paying for FF16, Forspoken just for few years later SE got acquired by other company and taken way the IP from PS. Sony would be clowns of the generation if they don't get SE. protect your investment.
It is cheap for a dominant market leader. For the last place competitor not so much. Hence why Microsoft has switched strategy as you said smartly. SE is very safe from Microsoft. Only another Japanese company will be allowed to buy them.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Hook, line and sinker. Poor little Capcom desperate for funding for little, unknown 50+ million seller IP; Street Fighter. Come on.
DForce already proved you wrong with the facts but look at Dead Rising 3. Microsoft had to publish it and make it a permanent exclusive. Capcom were struggling at the time. MS, Sony and Nintendo all had exclusives from Capcom. Don't be salty because Sony got the best one.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
DForce already proved you wrong with the facts but look at Dead Rising 3. Microsoft had to publish it and make it a permanent exclusive. Capcom were struggling at the time. MS, Sony and Nintendo all had exclusives from Capcom. Don't be salty because Sony got the best one.
Dead rising launched on 360 as an xbox exclusive and is in a completely different stratosphere as a franchise compared to streetfighter. Dead rising 3 wasn't even made by capcom japan.

Feel free to believe what you want and I'll believe what I want.

It's not like it worked out for capcom or Sony sf5 was a flop commercially and especially to the fans. Taking sonys money almost killed the franchise more than anything else.

Luckily sf6 has been handed off to a better staff and capcom seems to have learnt the lesson that the deal was terrible.

Can't wait for sf6 next year.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
This is a follow up to the previous thread:

-

The same reset era user has done exhaustive translations of MS's response to Sony to the Brazilian authorities.

I would highly recommend a full read here.

-

Some key points:
After this huge thread full of bullshit, can you explain how Sony was not able to block Death Stranding from GP? They were able to block every 3rd-party release from multiple publishers but not their own IP?

505 is so small Sony could crush them easily, everyone else in the industry is scared according to you.
Dead rising launched on 360 as an xbox exclusive and is in a completely different stratosphere as a franchise compared to streetfighter. Dead rising 3 wasn't even made by capcom japan.

Feel free to believe what you want and I'll believe what I want.
You must be one of those that believes Sony killed Sega too. Anything that paints Sony as the devil 🤣

Dead Rising was exclusive to the 360. You say that like it's nothing but if it was Sony you'd still be crying about it today. It was fine when MS did it (and they did many).

Menzies

Banned
Prove me wrong?

Were they selling off fixed assets in a fire sale? Were they even in debt? No.

There's nothing anyone can say to convince me that there was never going to be another Street Fighter without 'white knight' Sony altruistically gifting it to the fans...of their console only and earning a tidy profit from the 6+ million sales. Thank you, Sony, what a miracle chance it was that you ended up the biggest beneficiaries of this deal.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There's nothing anyone can say to convince me that there was never going to be another Street Fighter
Oh well, at least you are open minded in this thread while people look at purchasing two of the largest publishers and making their future catalogue exclusive including two games already in development for both consoles (TES VI and Starfield) vs the situation of Street Fighter 4 and how Capcom was faring at the time

Sure Sony capitalised on their difficulties a bit, but it is not as bad as joining the call to demonise a publisher and its CEO, buying that publisher, and then confirming the CEO they just blamed earlier but hey 😂

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Prove me wrong?

Were they selling off fixed assets in a fire sale? Were they even in debt? No.

There's nothing anyone can say to convince me that there was never going to be another Street Fighter without 'white knight' Sony altruistically gifting it to the fans...of their console only and earning a tidy profit from the 6+ million sales. Thank you, Sony, what a miracle chance it was that you ended up the biggest beneficiaries of this deal.
It was on PC tho and I've learn from Bethesda and Activision that if it's on PC then it's fine. Don't change the narrative now 😉

Dry your tears about SFV already. Capcom was giving it away in a bundle for like $1 recently.

Menzies

Banned
Oh well, at least you are open minded in this thread while people look at purchasing two of the largest publishers and making their future catalogue exclusive including two games already in development for both consoles (TES VI and Starfield) vs the situation of Street Fighter 4 and how Capcom was faring at the time (sure Sony capitalised on it, not as bad as joining the call to demonise a publisher and it’s CEO, but that publisher and confirming the CEO they just blamed earlier but hey 😂)…
I appreciate the difference. It is misfortunate for those who can only afford one platform. It must feel unfair and wrong.

I do ask though is it good for the industry to continue to have the same generation play out again and again? Sony having 3x the studios and MS having 'no games'?

I think it's good to see MS take gaming seriously for once and (hopefully) we see some competition and not another land slide.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
After this huge thread full of bullshit, can you explain how Sony was not able to block Death Stranding from GP? They were able to block every 3rd-party release from multiple publishers but not their own IP?

505 is so small Sony could crush them easily, everyone else in the industry is scared according to you.

You must be one of those that believes Sony killed Sega too. Anything that paints Sony as the devil 🤣

Dead Rising was exclusive to the 360. You say that like it's nothing but if it was Sony you'd still be crying about it today. It was fine when MS did it (and they did many).

im not going to argue with some blatant sony fan about the difference between dead rising and street fighter. Sony / Capcom decided on SF5 and delivered a worse game than dead rising 3 that wasnt even made by capcom. Its a massive shame. I am a huge SF fan so it was gutting to me to see the mess that was street fighter 5...it was awful for years. No decent story mode, nothing...it was a shell of its former self. If Sony paid to make it happen Capcom are guilty too because they literally spent like 9 to 12 months developing the game and it was a turd. It's like they didnt even really want to make it...I guess they just took the cheque.

At least SF6 looks to be a return to form.

onesvenus

More voices talking about Sony paying to block games from Gamepass WITHOUT a marketing agreement.

Gary Whitta, who was editor-in-chief of PC Gamer US and has been involved in games journalism since he was 15, says Sony payed for Cult of the lamb to not be on Gamepass without a marketing agreement.

Here it is an excerpt of the interview on Twitter

Love to see responses from all those of you who said that was not possible

Last edited:

xHunter

More voices talking about Sony paying to block games from Gamepass WITHOUT a marketing agreement.

Gary Whitta, who was editor-in-chief of PC Gamer US and has been involved in games journalism since he was 15, says Sony payed for Cult of the lamb to not be on Gamepass without a marketing agreement.

Is this his source?

Also, how do you know that they dont have a marketing agreement? The game was featured on there Twitter page.

kikii

Is this his source?

Also, how do you know that they dont have a marketing agreement? The game was featured on there Twitter page.

and they have even ps5 gamepad :D that must feel very uncomfortable

zBo3e1P.jpg

Mr Moose

giphy.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

And it seems he hasn't changed from being a 15 year old with warring bullshit ever since.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sony is advertising Midnight Fight Express and A Plague Tale and it's coming on Game Pass. How come they didn't block it and Death Stranding too?

Ok I'll take it as a confirmation that you can't read, hence you're tagging me for something I did not post about. :messenger_ok:

Top Bottom