• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS & Sony: PLEASE MAKE 60FPS MANDATORY FOR 2021

tillbot8

Banned
I'd be happy with a compromise. Let me pick if I want 4k 30pfs, or 60fps 1080 -1440p in a menu, even a sliding scale of details etc. Would that be a lot of work for a dev? Would it mean a lot more testing and QC for the different settings?

Codes 208

I'd be happy with a compromise. Let me pick if I want 4k 30pfs, or 60fps 1080 -1440p in a menu, even a sliding scale of details etc. Would that be a lot of work for a dev? Would it mean a lot more testing and QC for the different settings?
Demons souls does this and so does spiderman. There’s no excuse why more devs can’t just give people options.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Am I an idiot for not caring if games are 60fps? I'm not a tech guy by any means but I would assume that it's better for twitch type shooters? I'd be happy with a solid 30 fps.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
LOL I remember when I read that PS2 would have 6.2 Gflops and I thought to myself “wow, I bet all games will be 60 FPS from now on!”

base

Banned
I think it's pretty clear that Sony will give us a choice in this generation. They had included Performance Mode or Resolution Mode option in the Game Presets. Finally. I'm pretty sure it would be available even with PS4 Pro if it had a better CPU.

Dthomp

Am I an idiot for not caring if games are 60fps? I'm not a tech guy by any means but I would assume that it's better for twitch type shooters? I'd be happy with a solid 30 fps.

Not at all, tech people just like to get up their own asses with this stuff. A 30fps masterpiece is still a masterpiece. Title should say Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft :messenger_tears_of_joy: Please make good games.

Oh I'm the same. For the kind of games I play, I couldn't care less about 60 fps. If the 30 fps is rock solid and smooth with good framepacing, I'm good. I'd choose that every time with higher graphical fidelity over 60 fps.

But of course options are good, but it should always be up to the developers. It's their vision, their money, their priority.

Hugare

Every goddamn gen

We are seeing 60 fps games because they are crossgen (with the exception of Demons Souls)

Studios have to develop for the base systems, so making something 60 fps for next gen is easy. But once the crossgen period is gone, we will see games pushing next gen systems as much as they can.

Why do you guys never learn about this?

Soon enough, most next gen games will be 4k with reconstruction, so achieving 1080p/60 fps will become impossible.

proandrad

Everyone disagreeing is acting like developers can't just have multiple settings. What should be mandatory is the choice to choose either frames or resolution.

FeldMonster

Judging by this generations backwards compatibility improvement so far, I would strongly prefer an advanced menu where you can toggle resolution, framerate, texture quality,, effects, etc. independently. The benefit would be future proofing for next gen, but the risk is that you could overwhelm today's consoles if you select 4K, 60 (or 120!), Raytracing, etc. simultaneously. You would no longer be at the mercy of companies deciding (or not) to make a patch.

Lethal01

Demons souls does this and so does spiderman. There’s no excuse why more devs can’t just give people options.

Not every game has the ability to just lower the res to 1080p and instantly gain 60fps.

What about when a developer wants to push geometric/lighting detail or even AI and physics to the limit and builds a game around it that runs at dynamic 1280p 30fps.
Sure, maybe for graphics they could launch a 720p mode but just the mention of the option would be enough for a bunch of gamers to claim they don't know how to develop games despite the game being top of the line.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

So far its been pretty good. Demon Souls, SPider man MM, Ghosts of tsushima, days gone at 60fps.
I think there will be more choices going forward

Reizo Ryuu

Soon enough, most next gen games will be 4k with reconstruction, so achieving 1080p/60 fps will become impossible.
...it's only impossible if you believe only resolution is changeable; just turn down some settings, how do you think DIRT 5 achieves 120fps?

And I'm going to repeat myself here, but including a 60fps mode with every game takes nothing away from you 30fps weirdos, you are free to leave it at UHD30 if that is what you prefer; I have no idea why y'all would be opposed to this.

Genx3

I don't mind 30 fps. I want them next gen graphics
Quality control should ensure nothing ever, ever drops below 30 FPS in the future.
Should be the absolute minimum. Games dropping to 25 fps and 28 fps should definitely be in the past going forward.

Hugare

...it's only impossible if you believe only resolution is changeable; just turn down some settings, how do you think DIRT 5 achieves 120fps?

And I'm going to repeat myself here, but including a 60fps mode with every game takes nothing away from you 30fps weirdos, you are free to leave it at UHD30 if that is what you prefer; I have no idea why y'all would be opposed to this.
"just turn down some settings"

Yeah, you can do that with a racing game (DIRT 5 at 120 fps mode looks butt ugly, btw), but try doing that with a game that really pushes the system in terms of scope and design.

Like GTA V was to the PS3, or Cyberpunk for current gen.

For games that trully push the envelope on what consoles can do, you cant just turn down graphic settings and call it a day.

So yeah, including a 60 fps mode can seriously affect the game's scope. You have no idea of what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Cyberpunk for current gen.
The same cyberpunk that has an option for 30fps and 60fps?

For games that trully push the envelope on what consoles can do, you cant just turn down graphic settings and call it a day.
Of course you can, nothing is so rigid that turning down the visuals will suddenly make it look like the first virtua fighter.
Dunno why you'd believe "pushing the envelope" equals no scalability; you can have a game look the absolute best it can at 1080p30, and also have it look decent at 1080p60 (or even a bit less with a bit lower internal rendering).

But it doesn't matter because:
(DIRT 5 at 120 fps mode looks butt ugly, btw)
you don't have to play it at this mode, so who cares? Let the people who want 120fps play it in "butt ugly" mode, and you can just ignore it and stick to you "pushing the envelope 1080p30" mode.

Buy a PC

EDIT: Although did anyone else feel like the 30fps mode in demons souls was extra weird and choppy looking? Played plenty of 30fps titles before and after that did not look like that.

Last edited:

Snake00

The same cyberpunk that has an option for 30fps and 60fps?

Of course you can, nothing is so rigid that turning down the visuals will suddenly make it look like the first virtua fighter.
Dunno why you'd believe "pushing the envelope" equals no scalability; you can have a game look the absolute best it can at 1080p30, and also have it look decent at 1080p60 (or even a bit less with a bit lower internal rendering).

But it doesn't matter because:

you don't have to play it at this mode, so who cares? Let the people who want 120fps play it in "butt ugly" mode, and you can just ignore it and stick to you "pushing the envelope 1080p30" mode.
There is more to a game than just visuals. What if the main gameplay mechanic is fluid simulation? If the CPU requires 20ms to calculate one step of the simulation, 60 fps are no longer achievable. No matter how much the visuals are turned down.

Developers need the creative freedom. Sony and Microsoft know that and thats why a 60 fps requirement will never happen.

Reizo Ryuu

What if the main gameplay mechanic is fluid simulation? If the CPU requires 20ms to calculate one step of the simulation, 60 fps are no longer achievable. No matter how much the visuals are turned down.
Fluid simulations are also scalable, or you can run them on the GPU instead.
But yes if neither of those are desirable, because you are making fluid simulations: the game and 20ms is the bare minimum you can achieve because the simulation breaks otherwise, then you are probably making something better fit for stronger hardware than these consoles.
And even then you could still give the option for an unlocked framerate even if it's not going to hit 60.

ZoukGalaxy

NO THANKS.

I don't give a fuck to 60fps, I want better graphics, better physics, better lighting... and yes I clearly see the difference, but at this stage it like a number obsession for people like those streamers putting fps on screen to be sure it's really 60 fps, LOL.

30fps well implemented is perfectly FINE on consoles.

You want 60+ fps all the time ? GET A PC !

Last edited:

leo-j

I love what they did with demons souls. 1440p and 60 FPS with nexgen visuals, and 2160p 30 fps with even better nexgen visuals.

Haggard

Banned
If you want a 60+fps option in all cases then you will have to buy a beefy PC.
60 fps modes in cross gen games are already dropping to 1440p now on the consoles and if games actually start to look "next gen" 60fps will become a pipe dream, just like (native)4k.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Meh, 60FPS are great but I’m I can still fully enjoy games that run on 30FPS. I’m not gonna skip on a great game just because it runs on 30FPS.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Just don't buy DLC
Just don't buy Microtransactions
Just don't buy unfinished games
Just don't buy Loot Boxes

Did that help to eliminate any of these things?
I mean if people still buy them the companies are will continue to make them. So maybe if people didn't buy bad stuff the companies would make less of it. Not giving them money will stop them from making things. Either way, nobody makes you buy any of that stuff. If you buy it that's your choice.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
60 fps for me. I'll take lower res or special effects for double the frames.

But best is for dual options. Performance 60 and Quality 30 so gamers can choose.

Hell, if game makers can figure out how to make PC games for a million configs with 30 sliders and 8 resolutions gamers can tweak in real time, I'm sure devs have time to make two console modes.

And depending on the game, consoles sell more copies than PC, so the budget should be there.

nkarafo

I don't think mandatory is the correct word.

A standard, yes. Most developers should follow it but not everyone would have to.

Top Bottom