• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS & Sony: PLEASE MAKE 60FPS MANDATORY FOR 2021

mili2110

Please please please MS and Sony. PLEASE LISTEN. Make 60fps mandatory for any upcoming games on next gen consoles. Almost every game that launched has an option for smoooooooooth 60fps. A couple of exceptions like Watch Dogs: Legions have 4k/30 as of right now, but as stated by DF, a 60fps mode was found in the game files, which has yet to come out via patch (like ACV on XSS).

- Please make 60FPS Mode mandatory for upcoming games on your platforms. They can have a mode for 4k 30FPS with RT and every eyecandy option you can think of, but most games/engines easily scale to 1440p/60 with RT off on PS5 and XSX . I am pretty sure XSS is capable of dynamic 1080p 60fps on "medium settings" and dynamic 1440p 30fps + "high settings + RT (ok maybe RT off)

This is a very strange next gen as so far we don't actually have any next gen games. Because of this we have these powerful new consoles with no next gen games to play but they do have last gen games so we get 4k "ish" and 60fps ( sometimes even 120fps )

But next year and in 2022, REAL next gen games will start coming and those resolutions or framerates or both will start to drop on consoles.

It will be interesting to see where both resolution and framerate settle into.

Will console gamers be willing to go back to 30fps after being treated with near universal 60fps at the start of the gen?

Is 1440p and 30fps "good enough" if the graphics are properly next gen?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'd love to see Sony pull something bold like this. Requiring performance profiles or something.

They won't, and probably shouldn't.. but I'd love to see it!

Yoboman

Its a great option, especially as most TV'S are not 4K so it makes sense to up the FPS when it's not targeting the higher resolution

But if a dev wants to go all out on a 1440p game pushing the visuals at 30 FPS then I have no issue with that

LordOfChaos

No.

Let developers choose how to make their art, and you vote with your wallet.

The power is there if they choose to go that way for up to current standard games. If a developer wants to go balls out on world simulation and that requires 30fps, I'm also curious what they can do.

There's also a lot of games with performance and quality settings on 9th gen already, even a system wide toggle on PS5.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Some players prefer super high fidelity at the cost of frame rate that's fine. But I say the bottom line is to have performance mode option.

I'm not too worries about first party titles as they seemingly are trying best to utilize the full potential of the new consoles. It is up to the third party developers.

No. If a developer wants to use the full capacity of the CPU at 30 fps they should be able to do so. But I do hope that most games will have a 60 fps option.

kevm3

No thanks. Now if more developers want to have optional settings where you can dial the graphics back for 60 fps, then cool

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Please please please MS and Sony. PLEASE LISTEN. Make 60fps mandatory for any upcoming games on next gen consoles. Almost every game that launched has an option for smoooooooooth 60fps. A couple of exceptions like Watch Dogs: Legions have 4k/30 as of right now, but as stated by DF, a 60fps mode was found in the game files, which has yet to come out via patch (like ACV on XSS).

- Please make 60FPS Mode mandatory for upcoming games on your platforms. They can have a mode for 4k 30FPS with RT and every eyecandy option you can think of, but most games/engines easily scale to 1440p/60 with RT off on PS5 and XSX . I am pretty sure XSS is capable of dynamic 1080p 60fps on "medium settings" and dynamic 1440p 30fps + "high settings + RT (ok maybe RT off)

No.

Developers will decide what resolution and frame rate is best for their game.

They have said a million of times that they won't make it mandatory, and it's the best choice.

If you want a different outcome, get yourself a PC.

MastaKiiLA

How many of the best and most beloved games of the past generations have been 60fps? Outside of certain genres that need it, not many. People want visual fidelity to increase. Frame rates get sacrificed as a result. It's a fair exchange. Is rather 100% of development time goes into making sure the game looks and plays it's best in one visual mode, than sacrifice optimization to offer 2 modes. Games that need precision will support 60fps. Story-driven cinematic experiences should be 30fps, and just spooge out the best visuals possible per frame, with the frame rate locked. You can play it on 60fps on the PS6.

Last edited:

AceVader0

Neo Member
I'm not even naming native 4K (for 3D AAA games).
I think it's going to go like this:

The game has intensive raytracing: Dynamic 4K + 30FPS
Same game without raytracing: Dynamic 4K + 60FPS

The game has none or little raytracing (like COD): Dynamic 4K + 60FPS
Same game without raytracing: Dynamic Dynamic Dynamic Dynamic 4K + 120FPS

Concern

The Series X and PS5 can do it but the problem is Ray Tracing being pushed so hard which limits performance.

I know that, the point is there's always something to hamper it. We never really got 1080/60fps and then devs just started chasing 4k. But now we're basically going backwards to 1440p, 1080p, or dynamic 4k chasing rt.

Armorian

Banned
If you want options PC is the only way, many console players that discovered how much smoother/better 60fps is ended up on this platform.

Elcid

Banned
This is a very strange next gen as so far we don't actually have any next gen games. Because of this we have these powerful new consoles with no next gen games to play but they do have last gen games so we get 4k "ish" and 60fps ( sometimes even 120fps )

But next year and in 2022, REAL next gen games will start coming and those resolutions or framerates or both will start to drop on consoles.

It will be interesting to see where both resolution and framerate settle into.

Will console gamers be willing to go back to 30fps after being treated with near universal 60fps at the start of the gen?

Is 1440p and 30fps "good enough" if the graphics are properly next gen?
Hast thou played Demon’s Souls?

Its a great option, especially as most TV'S are not 4K so it makes sense to up the FPS when it's not targeting the higher resolution

But if a dev wants to go all out on a 1440p game pushing the visuals at 30 FPS then I have no issue with that

A 1440p30 game could still run at 1080p60 (with some details lowered, maybe). I'd at least like to have the option.

JeloSWE

I would be so happy if all future console games have a 60 fps option and I will chose it EVERY time over RT and other fancy pantsy stuff. Swinging around with Miles or exploring in DS is pure joy at 60, and when I try 30 just to look at the RT and fidelity boost it only look good as long as I don't move the character or camera, and the moment you start moving about every detail is lost in Sample and Hold blur. 60/120 fps gives to much better clarity to the image in motion than any 4K at 30 can dream of.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
No. I am fine with good 30fps if it means better graphics.
As it is now with resolution and performance option in most games, it's fine.
I will for sure play Demons souls on quality setting

Kagey K

Banned
They aren’t going to tell developers how to make their games, and they shouldn’t.

Devs should be allowed to make their games as they see fit and it’s up to you as a consumer to decide if you want to buy that developers vision or not.

the_master

I agree. I hope they do it!
They aren’t going to tell developers how to make their games, and they shouldn’t.

Devs should be allowed to make their games as they see fit and it’s up to you as a consumer to decide if you want to buy that developers vision or not.
Every console has strict rules and requirements, or do you think that every developer wants to implement hundreds of features tied to controllers, friends, icons, console menus and everything else?

There are also rules for quality, and even framerrate. You can't submit a psvr game that has major framedrops or that goes at 30fps.
Tgey could, if they wanted, make a 60fps mode mandatory.

As a person who plays single player games, mostly WRPGs and JRPGs, I would prefer a priority in visual fidelity over FPS. But thanks for telling us that you think your preference should be the golden rule. Get a PC if it bothers you that much.

v1xoOY8.jpg

Yoboman

Not sure about Xbox but PS5 has a system level UI feature for games to default to performance or fidelity, so at least it is being strongly encouraged to support this feature moving forward

Raonak

Banned
I do like having options, but making anything mandatory isn't the way to go.

halving the framerate = double the computational power available per frame.
that's pretty fucking huge advantage.

there's gonna be developers wanting to push limit, and i say let em!

Dibils2k

mandatory OPTION? surebut i still love my graphic whoring. i played MM on 30fps mode, it just looks clearly sharper and ray tracing in indoor locations were spectacular

Anyone advocating that 60fps should be mandatory needs to switch to PC. You ALWAYS have the option of 60fps.

Why limit yourself if 60fps is important to you?

Last edited:

proandrad

Then they could also put a mode for the same game for 900p 60fps.

Daymos

You should really be gaming on PC if framerate is THAT important to you. You just turn on a frame counter and adjust settings until it's a stable 60... hook your PC up to a tv and get an xbox controller and an xbox bumper sticker if you have to.

Pallas

Top Bottom